ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old Today, 01:18 AM   #681
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

It is a mystery. There are clusters. But there will be no investigation into possible cell towers as a factor. Why Because THEY say so. And so do many others. It will be dismissed as a conspiracy theory. Nice weapon for a company to use. The weapon used in the case of the radium girls was that they had syphilis.

Why not try to dismiss it scientifically? They say it is a waste of money that will only fuel the CT. But they may be worried it might be true.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...063453208.html
By early May, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Connecticut reported clusters of children with PMIS and three deaths. Dr Randolph already knows there are more.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...-with-covid-19
Recently, however, reports from Europe and North America have described clusters of children and adolescents requiring admission to intensive care units with a multisystem inflammatory condition with some features similar to those of Kawasaki disease and toxic shock syndrome. Case reports and small series have described a presentation of acute illness accompanied by a hyperinflammatory syndrome, leading to multiorgan failure and shock.
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #682
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

There is nothing stopping anybody who thinks cell towers might be a factor in the sudden increase in the incidence of Kawasaki disease from doing a study to investigate that possibility. Obviously those who don't see any good reason for thinking that (because there really isn't one) are going to spend their time and money undertaking such a study.
Old Today, 02:35 AM   #683
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It is a mystery. There are clusters.

There are always clusters. It’s a combination of the way random patterns appear and the human predilection for seeing patterns. It doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a specific cause or, indeed, a mystery.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:19 AM   #684
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It is a mystery. There are clusters.
Clusters of everything happen all on their lonesome. Sometimes randomly, sometimes with a cause. So what?

But there will be no investigation into possible cell towers as a factor. Why Because THEY say so. And so do many others.
THEY? Who exactly are THEY? And where did THEY say this?

It will be dismissed as a conspiracy theory. Nice weapon for a company to use. The weapon used in the case of the radium girls was that they had syphilis.
Because it is a CT. And the radium girls won their case in court.

Why not try to dismiss it scientifically? They say it is a waste of money that will only fuel the CT. But they may be worried it might be true.
Again with the mysterious "THEY".

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...063453208.html
By early May, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Connecticut reported clusters of children with PMIS and three deaths. Dr Randolph already knows there are more.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...-with-covid-19
Recently, however, reports from Europe and North America have described clusters of children and adolescents requiring admission to intensive care units with a multisystem inflammatory condition with some features similar to those of Kawasaki disease and toxic shock syndrome. Case reports and small series have described a presentation of acute illness accompanied by a hyperinflammatory syndrome, leading to multiorgan failure and shock.
Neither of which have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Next thing you will be doing is blaming clusters of flowers on EM radiation, because they are clustered.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:51 AM   #685
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
There are always clusters. It’s a combination of the way random patterns appear and the human predilection for seeing patterns. It doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a specific cause or, indeed, a mystery.
The real mystery is why so many people think hard working, underfunded scientists have nothing better to do than investigate every crackpot idea that's posted on the internet. "It's obvious Kawasaki disease is caused by ice cream, just look at those clusters! No I'm not prepared to do a simple test, let alone fund a study, to prove myself right, but the fact THEY won't spend their own time and money proving me wrong shows THEY must be afraid I'm right! THEY must be in the pay of the ice cream companies, look how those companies are trying to stop me spreading the wild idea I pulled out of my arse just because a few guys driving ice cream vans were attacked and an ice cream factory was burned down! I demand scientists put their attempts to find a vaccine for Covid19 on hold and use their resources to investigate my claims instead!".

Last edited by Pixel42; Today at 05:57 AM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #686
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The real mystery is why so many people think hard working, underfunded scientists have nothing better to do than investigate every crackpot idea that's posted on the internet. "It's obvious Kawasaki disease is caused by ice cream, just look at those clusters! No I'm not prepared to do a simple test, let alone fund a study, to prove myself right, but the fact THEY won't spend their own time and money proving me wrong shows THEY must be afraid I'm right! THEY must be in the pay of the ice cream companies, look how those companies are trying to stop me spreading the wild idea I pulled out of my arse just because a few guys driving ice cream vans were attacked and an ice cream factory was burned down! I demand scientists put their attempts to find a vaccine for Covid19 on hold and use their resources to investigate my claims instead!".

https://xkcd.com/882/

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #687
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Quite.

Actual research happens when there is a good reason to invest the time and effort required.

"God told me so" is not a reason. It isn't even reason.

abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #688
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

You know, I am scheduled for an informal Zoom video conference this evening with 3 PhD's.

Friends for my long distant schooldays. Covid 19 has changed the venue from the pub to the intertubes.

Just to see what happens (assuming we are not cancelled for some reason), I think I will wheel out these CT ideas and see what is the response.

I suspect I can predict that response.

Of course it will have no impact on PS since he is convinced that he knows different and better than any PhD in all subjects, anywhere and everywhere.

Worth it just to see what they say.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories