ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cars

View Poll Results: Driverless cars will become mandatory by 2050
Yes they will 30 22.73%
No they won't 63 47.73%
It will take longer 22 16.67%
Your poll options suck 35 26.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th September 2017, 04:59 PM   #1161
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Erm...

No. The points are from Death Race 2000. No "pedestrian bowling" required.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072856/quotes
Old 6th September 2017, 05:00 PM   #1162
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It's OK arthwollipot, I got him with the door.
Old 8th September 2017, 03:27 PM   #1163
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
It's OK arthwollipot, I got him with the door.
That's the one. Oddly, it's one of those jokes that's overtly racist, but doesn't have to be. It could be nonracist and not lose much of its humour.
Old 9th September 2017, 07:30 PM   #1164
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

In the version I know, the passenger is a parish priest...

...but, I think it only works against a background of shared racism.

However, when self driving cars start killing pedestrians and cyclists, we can be sure that they do it in an efficient manner.

Without any pesky moralising which could result in a miss.

Old 10th September 2017, 04:19 AM   #1165
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Do we have any idea of how many pedestrian fatalities and injuries are unavoidable? I. e. someone had to die because of the physics?
Old 13th September 2017, 10:46 PM   #1166
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
How is this different from human drivers? I see traffic make way for jay walkers all the time. Especially pan handlers at intersections. I also find that when I am driving my old beat up truck I can change lanes almost without looking. The traffic parts like the Red Sea when I put on my blinker. That never works in my car.

One difference is that the autonomous car could collect video and other data about the person doing this and they could be ticketed for jay walking or interfering with traffic. The transition could be hell for trouble makers.
I actually see it more likely the opposite. Autonomous cars make it safer for pedeatrians, which would increase foot traffic. Jay walking might not even be a crime, and possibly even be encouraged as a better way than pooling prople at intersections. With the overall time savings, everyone would get around faster, and cities would be more safe and enjoyable to explore, both in car and on foot/bike.

Less congestion and more pedestrian friendly cities would also increase business and tourism revenue.
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 12:24 PM   #1167
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by HoverBoarder View Post
...Less congestion and more pedestrian friendly cities would also increase business and tourism revenue.
The mighty mighty tourist, yeah he gets a say in everything it seems. Why is everyone so fascinated with "increasing tourism"? Money? Really? You ever seen these tourists? Ever seen their clothes? Ever been behind them on the road? They're nothing but contemptible. I'm just not seeing where all the love for "tourists" comes from within a general population. Trump Tower loves tourists, Trump Donald doesn't so much I bet.

So anyway, according to the CDC, 34% (1/3+) of pedestrian vs. vehicle deaths are due to the pedestrian having a BAC of .08 or more. 1/3!!! Only 15% are due to the vehicle's driver being so. I don't understand how "autonomy" is going to deal so much better with obstacles that are intelligently stupid and capricious since those concepts cannot be taught to a car.
HarryHenderson is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 07:36 PM   #1168
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
The mighty mighty tourist, yeah he gets a say in everything it seems. Why is everyone so fascinated with "increasing tourism"? Money? Really? You ever seen these tourists? Ever seen their clothes? Ever been behind them on the road? They're nothing but contemptible. I'm just not seeing where all the love for "tourists" comes from within a general population. Trump Tower loves tourists, Trump Donald doesn't so much I bet.
Tourism is pretty off topic, but it is a pretty important part of the economy. Plus it's a great way for different cultures to interact.

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
So anyway, according to the CDC, 34% (1/3+) of pedestrian vs. vehicle deaths are due to the pedestrian having a BAC of .08 or more. 1/3!!! Only 15% are due to the vehicle's driver being so. I don't understand how "autonomy" is going to deal so much better with obstacles that are intelligently stupid and capricious since those concepts cannot be taught to a car.
Actually this is one of the areas where autonomous cars would have a distinct advantage. Far superior response times would pretty much eliminate risks from distracted/impaired drivers or pedestrians.

As I talked about in a previous post, there are established methods that machine learning could use to predict and anticipate human behavior that could far surpass a humans ability. Whether those people are impaired or not.

To be sure though, Google should provide large amounts of alcohol and legal drugs to a team of volunteer employees to model their behavior . For science of course.
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events