ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , US-North Korea relations

Old 11th October 2017, 06:28 AM   #721
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Monica Lewinsky?
While I find her quite physically attractive, it's hardly a secret President Pussy-grabber likes them younger, blonder and thinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3642.JPG (92.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 11th October 2017, 01:17 PM   #722
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Latest headline: North Korea Says Trump has "Lit the Wick of War".

For some reason I keep reading that as "Lick the Whip of War".
Old 11th October 2017, 01:18 PM   #723
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

I initially read it as "Little Wick of War", which seems particularly hilarious to me for some reason.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:43 PM   #724
Argumemnon
World Maker

Whip the lip of war?

....let lip the dogs of war?

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 08:30 PM   #725
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Whip the lip of war?

....let lip the dogs of war?
Lick the lips of war.
Old 12th October 2017, 03:52 PM   #726
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

That's the point: If North Korea has nuclear weapons, it can't be ignored. Not that it can be ignored, anyway, of course.
I'd expect diplomats and military types to stay abreast and do what they can to influence events, but the rest of us might as well ignore it. What we don't need is the US government making a big song-and-dance about something which is not about to get resolved. And what we particularly don't need, of course, is a US President vowing not to permit things which are practically inevitable and about which nothing can be done.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 05:45 AM   #727
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Iím not sure if you really want a proper discussion, or just wish to psychologically transfer war-guilt from Germany to the USA, but here goes:

A couple of more-or-less hypothetical scenarios where Germany attacks Poland:
1) Germany is not under threat but attacks to expand its territory and then commits a systematic targeted genocide on civilians in the occupied area
2) Poland threatens to use WMDs against Berlin, leading Germany to launch a pre-emptive Ďdecapitationí strike against the opposing regimes political and military assets, with only collateral civilian casualties.

One of these scenarios is obviously heinous. The other is understandable. Itís sad that in 2017 some Germans still canít get this.
So by point 1 it's not ok for the US to attack North Korea and by point 2 it's ok for North Korea to launch a pre-emptive "decapitation" strike against the US?
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 09:17 PM   #728
Toontown
Philosopher

As easily as igniting a fart. And he could start a war with Russia or China just as easily.

That's why you want to elect a cool head to the presidency. That way, the cool head stands a better chance of prevailing.

Last edited by Toontown; 15th October 2017 at 09:19 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 02:22 AM   #729
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Sure. Just as not getting arrested gets a lot of murderers off. But it doesn't mean that convicted murderers are exectuted for having been arrested. They are executed for having committed murder.
Right.

Those thread participants who believe there exists no applicable international law, only national law, should acknowledge that Germany did nothing wrong during WW2 ans that the Nuremberg hangings were petty victors' revenge masquerading as trials under law.

And that likewise, Kim would be perfectly entitled to all sorts of shenanigans if only he refuses to accept as binding national law any international customary or treaty obligations.

Then the last Republican President was totally mistaken when argued war against Iraq is justified by Saddam breaking his obligations arising from UNSC resolutions, for such resolutions are meaningless unless adopted by Saddam into national law of Iraq. I am sure you can relate how you all protested the war then on those grounds!
Old 16th October 2017, 05:27 AM   #730
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's just occurred to me that for all we know Trump's already tried to give the order and been talked down by Kelly/Mattis/Ivanka/other grownups in the WH. Perhaps more than once.
People at the White House have admitted that they spend all their time trying to contain the world's oldest toddler's tantrums and prevent him from doing something potentially disastrous. And they're already talking among themselves about using the 25th Amendment.

My answer to the thread title is no, not because he won't try, but because, when the time comes, it won't be something shocking that the necessary people scramble to try to figure out how to respond to. It's something they've been expecting and preparing for. Trump getting 25th'd out of office becomes a certainty at that point. (And if he never does go full Aerys Targaryen, this will be the main reason why.)
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 06:22 AM   #731
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Right.

Those thread participants who believe there exists no applicable international law, only national law, should acknowledge that Germany did nothing wrong during WW2 ans that the Nuremberg hangings were petty victors' revenge masquerading as trials under law.

And that likewise, Kim would be perfectly entitled to all sorts of shenanigans if only he refuses to accept as binding national law any international customary or treaty obligations.

Then the last Republican President was totally mistaken when argued war against Iraq is justified by Saddam breaking his obligations arising from UNSC resolutions, for such resolutions are meaningless unless adopted by Saddam into national law of Iraq. I am sure you can relate how you all protested the war then on those grounds!
Well, the person I was corresponding with is, I think, an anarchist who does not recognize any state legal systems as far as I can tell, and thinks of both national and international law as some kind of power game without any philosophical underpinning. Therefore, all "justice" is the exercise of power and nobody is truly guilty of anything. Or something along those lines.

I myself do recognize the existence of both national and international law. I am less worried about the posters' interpretation of it than I am about that of the US president and those in the chain of command in the US nuclear weapons systems. My reading of it is that those who serve there are those who would obey the orders to launch. And should they not, then they would be replaced by someone who would. That's one of the major reasons why electing Donald Trump as president was an extremely reckless act.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 07:52 AM   #732
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

More war games (exercises) begin today. I expect another missile firing by the end of the week.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:35 AM   #733
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Right.

Drawing equivalence between Bush and Hitler? Disgusting.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 08:39 AM   #734
angrysoba
Philosophile

Drawing equivalence between Bush and Hitler? Disgusting.
He's not drawing equivalence between Bush and Hitler.

He is saying that if you don't agree with the concept of international law, then you cannot agree with Bush when he said Saddam Hussein was violating international law.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 09:23 AM   #735
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Trump is dumb and crazy enough he might start WW3. But he is also easily manipulated and has decent people telling him what he should do with regards to national security, so I have some hope that he won't **** things up too badly.
Trump is neither dumb nor crazy. He's standing up to NK with a show of force that the commies can't match.
Old 16th October 2017, 06:55 PM   #736
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

This thread is not about Nazis. It's about Korea, Trump, and "is there gonna be a war soon?" His latest utterances do not inspire confidence. Saw a tweet in re Sec State Tillerson to which the punch line is "the negotiations will proceed until the first bomb drops." I was no amused.
Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
"Would you like to play a nice game of Chess?"
Funny, but not applicable to the egos involved.
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Several former senior officers and William Perry offer insights into ways to prevent a crazy president from ending the world.
William Perry is pretty level headed. A good Sec Def.
All the speculation is this thread illuminates, is that Trump is not alone, nor the most gifted, in posting rubbish on the internet.
Yeah, QFT.
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's just occurred to me that for all we know Trump's already tried to give the order and been talked down by Kelly/Mattis/Ivanka/other grownups in the WH. Perhaps more than once.
Possibly true. Mattis is part of the national command authority. That is why I sleep well at night.
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Is it too much to ask that some comely intern step forward and give of herself in service to the cause of keeping the president happy and preoccupied?
Melania might be less willing to look the other way than a previous first lady. (But yeah, maybe that's what's needed. Does Donald have Tiger Woods on speed dial? Might be some phone numbers that need to be shared ...)
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 16th October 2017 at 06:58 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 11:09 PM   #737
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
This thread is not about Nazis. It's about Korea, Trump, and "is there gonna be a war soon?"
Point taken. I won't be pursuing caveman's absurd theories any more.

Apologies!

Old 17th October 2017, 11:01 AM   #738
Zivan
Muse

*Keeps checking thread but losing hope it will ever get back on topic of NK/Trump*
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 11:34 AM   #739
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
*Keeps checking thread but losing hope it will ever get back on topic of NK/Trump*
Any day now you can expect about 80 posts sent to AAH and 2 dozen yellow cards.
Old 17th October 2017, 11:44 AM   #740
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
I tried...
Old 17th October 2017, 11:53 AM   #741
Zivan
Muse

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Any day now you can expect about 80 posts sent to AAH and 2 dozen yellow cards.
Or it could be split to a new thread about "winners/losers/war crimes...."

I tried...
I know you did, thanks for trying
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 05:18 PM   #742
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, that was a good episode. From what I recall, the answer to the question - Is there anybody or any body with the power to override a president who orders a nuclear strike? - is "NO!"

This is also, from what I recall, brought up in the book, Command and Control by Eric Schlosser. Definitely worth reading!

But of course, this is by design. If nuclear weapons are needed to be fired there is no time for a deliberative body to convene and determine whether the threats are so great that nuclear weapons need to be deployed.

The only thing that can bring prevent a nuclear launch is disobedience in the chain of command, which obviously means that anyone who gives a hint of questioning the order is removed as happened to the protagonist in the Radiolab episode.
If the president and the SECDEF agree that we're under nuclear attack or an imminent attack they should have the ability to order an immediate launch. However, if the president wants to launch a first strike or preemptive attack, I have no problem with requiring congressional approval.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 06:38 PM   #743
phiwum
Philosopher

If the president and the SECDEF agree that we're under nuclear attack or an imminent attack they should have the ability to order an immediate launch. However, if the president wants to launch a first strike or preemptive attack, I have no problem with requiring congressional approval.
If a retaliatory strike takes two men, then there's a good chance it won't happen soon enough. Sometimes, the Secretary won't be readily available, no?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 08:34 PM   #744
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
If a retaliatory strike takes two men, then there's a good chance it won't happen soon enough. Sometimes, the Secretary won't be readily available, no?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If the world is at the brink of nuclear war, what else could possibly take priority over that?
Old 18th October 2017, 06:58 AM   #745
phiwum
Philosopher

If the world is at the brink of nuclear war, what else could possibly take priority over that?
The main concern, back in the day, was a surprise attack requiring immediate reaction. This was when we had faith that the guy in the White House would make well-reasoned decisions in matters so grave.

But even now, one could imagine situations in which the Secretary of Defense is briefly incommunicado, no? Maybe I don't appreciate the advances in communication enough. Perhaps such periods of isolation are a thing of the past.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 07:23 AM   #746
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The main concern, back in the day, was a surprise attack requiring immediate reaction. This was when we had faith that the guy in the White House would make well-reasoned decisions in matters so grave.
Sorry, when was that?

Old 18th October 2017, 07:47 AM   #747
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, when was that? ; )
It's what I keep trying to tell you: Trump isn't really all that special.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 07:55 AM   #748
angrysoba
Philosophile

It's what I keep trying to tell you: Trump isn't really all that special.
Well, there have certainly been presidents in the past that people were very concerned about such as Nixon and Reagan (for reasons of suspected insanity and senility respectively, and for having declared an intention to use the nukes if only as a "joke"), and of course Kennedy who definitely was close to starting a nuclear war.

Trump being no different in that regard is not really that reassuring.

Old 18th October 2017, 03:47 PM   #749
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Trump is neither dumb nor crazy. He's standing up to NK with a show of force that the commies can't match.
Until they do match it. That was the mistake that the USSR made in the 80s.

Little Rocket Un has enough capability to be worrisome. The US has enough capability to deal with it but it costs a damned fortune. All he has to do is wait and keep ratcheting it up when he can.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 11:24 PM   #750
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

As I have said upthread, this would entail abandoning the policy built on the premise of MAD. The idea that there wouldn't be time between an imminent attack and useful response to take the question to committee.

An entirely new system of protocols would need to be developed, based on a radically different envisioning of nuclear combat scenarios.

I'm not necessarily against that, but it is non-trivial. And more importantly, it is not the system we have right now. That's the one we have to worry about at this juncture.
Old 19th October 2017, 09:13 AM   #751
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningAll of the war crimes posts have been split to their own thread. Go post about that topic there.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegmô - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm

Last edited by kmortis; 19th October 2017 at 09:14 AM.
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 04:47 PM   #752
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Democrats push bill to stop a Trump pre-emptive strike on North Korea
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...on-north-korea

Quote:
Congressional Democrats have introduced legislation aimed at preventing Donald Trump from launching a pre-emptive attack on North Korea, as concerns grew about the administrationís failure to explore talks with Pyongyang.

The ďNo Unconstitutional Strike against North KoreaĒ bill is the second legislative attempt to curtailís Trump power to start a war unilaterally. Earlier this year, a bill was introduced to prohibit the president from ordering a nuclear first strike against a foreign adversary without a declaration of war by Congress, amid concerns over Trumpís belligerent language, erratic behaviour and frequent tweeted threats against other countries.
Sighs of relief all round as we discover somebody's on the case and will sort it all out.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 05:03 PM   #753
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Democrats push bill to stop a Trump pre-emptive strike on North Korea
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...on-north-korea

Sighs of relief all round as we discover somebody's on the case and will sort it all out.
I wonder if this will have the opposite effect. How long before it is spun as Democrats being the defenders of North Korea. "Oh look, putting the D in DPRK!"

Old 26th October 2017, 05:07 PM   #754
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If I were president, I'd be strongly tempted to sit down with my pen in one hand and the Football in the other. I'd push the button, sign the bill into law, and laugh all the way to the War Room.

"It wasn't a law yet, suckers!"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 05:55 PM   #755
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I do think NK is going to take the first step soon, when The PDJT visits Asia. Hell, they might even target whereever he is, damn the consequences!
Old 27th October 2017, 01:10 AM   #756
angrysoba
Philosophile

I do think NK is going to take the first step soon, when The PDJT visits Asia. Hell, they might even target whereever he is, damn the consequences!
Really? First step as in lob a nuke?

Old 27th October 2017, 01:11 AM   #757
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

If I were president, I'd be strongly tempted to sit down with my pen in one hand and the Football in the other. I'd push the button, sign the bill into law, and laugh all the way to the War Room.

You'd start a nuclear war in order to troll Congress ?

Thank goodness you're not the President.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 02:20 AM   #758
angrysoba
Philosophile

I *think* theprestige is pointing up a major flaw in getting a bill restricting the sitting president's power, namely, the requirement for the same president signing it into law as opposed to simply vetoing it.

One calculation in nuclear weapons strategy is use-it or lose-it and when faced with losing the opportunity to blast North Korea, I would worry that it would increase the pressure to use the opportunity.

Old 27th October 2017, 06:26 AM   #759
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Yes, today's "conservatives" and Trump do seem to be the type of people who would laugh at the murder of millions only because they get the chance to stick it to them libs.

Callous mother ****ers

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics