ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts , orbs

Old 3rd February 2016, 04:08 PM   #1
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

"Orbs" caught on camers

Interesting footage from Australia. I know that most orbs are likely to be dust reflecting the IR light from the camera, though these don't move the way I would expect dust to do so. Regardless, I doubt they are ghosts, and unlike some, I don't see any faces as some seem to be claiming. Still an interesting phenomenon though...

Thoughts?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:19 PM   #2
mgidm86
Illuminator

Light reflected onto the camera lens from a mobile above the bed, or something else gently moving or swinging.

A normal dust particle orb.

If they would have walked into the room filming and it was still there I'd be impressed. I mean if I saw a ghost on a security camera I'd go to that location and see for myself.
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Daylightstar
Philosopher

I see two 'orbs' (upper left and lower right) move in unison. The motion appears to me mechanically induced.
Perhaps there is another person in the room with a light source (intentionally) causing internal reflections in the lens or/and a protective screen in front of the lens.
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:24 PM   #4
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Bug on the lens.
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:00 PM   #5
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Interesting footage from Australia. I know that most orbs are likely to be dust reflecting the IR light from the camera, though these don't move the way I would expect dust to do so. Regardless, I doubt they are ghosts, and unlike some, I don't see any faces as some seem to be claiming. Still an interesting phenomenon though...

Thoughts?
As part of a demonstration for the local ghost and hauntings investigation society where I volunteered, I set up apparatus for creating orbs on demand.

Instrumental was the fact that I built it with two cameras that were bound together, pointing in parallel about 12" apart. The orbs would only appear in one at a time, which gave an explicit limit to their location. They had to be inches away from the lens at the most.

The second part of the demonstration was showing how the sensors on the demo cameras captured IR that was not visible to humans. I used a TV remote.
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Orbs aren't all dust on the lens, they are insects out of focus. It was found with high speed cameras.
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:04 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

Thoughts?
Those just look like an out of focus light reflection.
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:06 PM   #8
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Like I said, bug on the lens.

Look at it. It walks like a bug.
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Daylightstar
Philosopher

If it walks like a bug and it talks like a bug, then it's a bug
Old 3rd February 2016, 06:00 PM   #10
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Those just look like an out of focus light reflection.
It a cheap theatre trick called "Pepper's ghost". There is a series of recent UFO and "mysterious Orb" videos, doing the rounds at the moment.

two UFO "Orb" Videos
https://vid.me/iEto
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...-taken-5844745
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gloves.jpg (33.0 KB, 3 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Looks like lens-flare to me.
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:03 PM   #12
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Orbs schmorbs of course. If you play the video and look at it carefully you'll see at about 11 seconds in where the camera catches the beam of light. It's a baby's room. Most likely stuff hanging from ceiling or in window, catching light. This is giving a benefit of the doubt that the person publishing this is just a credulous fool and not a fraudster.

I can't address the "bug on lens" issue, because I did not bother to watch past about 20 seconds.

I think there's been a proliferation of orbs in recent years as more people are using digital point and shoot cameras. Very small sensors tend to have very great depth of field, and little cameras often flash by default with flashes that are very close to the lens's line of sight. Particles that disappear in a larger sensor, or with a more off-axis flash, pop right out.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 3rd February 2016 at 07:10 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal