ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th September 2018, 05:36 AM   #1
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

The man who won the lottery 14 times

He didn't make as much money as you'd think, winning 14 times.

The man who won the lottery 14 times

How a rogue Romanian economist legally gamed the lottery and won millions of dollars around the world.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:46 AM   #2
dann
Philosopher

Computer-printed tickets in the 1970s and 1980? And in an Eastern European country? I don't think so ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 10:17 AM   #3
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Computer-printed tickets in the 1970s and 1980? And in an Eastern European country? I don't think so ...
He moved to Aus and then hit the USA market for the big wins. I do have reservations about this (especially 'writing millions of combinations by hand', pre-computers) but it's very widely reported.
Old 14th September 2018, 10:36 PM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
He moved to Aus and then hit the USA market for the big wins. I do have reservations about this (especially 'writing millions of combinations by hand', pre-computers) but it's very widely reported.
All I had to read was this:

Quote:
This is the story of the man who “gamed” the lottery by buying every possible combination.
This is not called gaming the lottery, it's called throwing away your money. Back in the 1990s as a finance guy, I figured out that a $1 ticket in the Arizona Lottery had a present value of 20 cents. Minus the cost of a buck means the net present value is -80 cents. Now it is true that as the lottery jackpot grows so does the net present value.

But so does another factor--the number of other players participating. Whenever the jackpot gets sufficiently high, more players are attracted to the lottery by the better odds. So the chance that somebody will hit the jackpot increases, but so does the chance that two or more people will win, splitting the prize and lowering the NPV for each winner.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:56 PM   #5
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I live in Melbourne and I would have thought I had heard of him before now. But there are plenty of reports about him going back many years, so it’s likely true.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 01:32 AM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

And a few more paragraphs in comes this pitch:

Quote:
Using the algorithm, Mandel claimed he could accurately predict 5 of the 6 winning numbers, reducing the number of combinations in a lottery from millions to mere thousands. With a band of friends and acquaintances, he took a big risk and purchased large blocks of lottery tickets with the combinations his formula has deemed to be most likely.
Unless Mandel had some sort of data that indicated that there was something wrong with the randomness of the drawings, there is approximately a 0.00% chance that he cold really predict 5 of the 6 numbers.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 03:08 AM   #7
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
......Unless Mandel had some sort of data that indicated that there was something wrong with the randomness of the drawings, there is approximately a 0.00% chance that he cold really predict 5 of the 6 numbers.
No, I think you're misunderstanding what his claim was. He wasn't claiming to predict the draw, but to cover all the possible permutations of 5 numbers, leaving the 6th number to chance.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 03:24 AM   #8
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
No, I think you're misunderstanding what his claim was. He wasn't claiming to predict the draw, but to cover all the possible permutations of 5 numbers, leaving the 6th number to chance.
That does not beat statistical randomness and in no way increases the expected payout over all games he plays. If what you say captures accurately his message, AND if he claims to have had returns of more than 1 buck per 1 buck paid on tickets, then the story is a hoax.
Old 15th September 2018, 03:51 AM   #9
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

deleted
Old 15th September 2018, 04:11 AM   #10
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
That does not beat statistical randomness and in no way increases the expected payout over all games he plays. If what you say captures accurately his message, AND if he claims to have had returns of more than 1 buck per 1 buck paid on tickets, then the story is a hoax.
I think you should read the article.

I read it a week ago, so this is from memory, but I believe he claimed to have used this method with his first lottery, and thereafter aimed at printing every single permutation available, not just 5 out of 6. Five out of six, of course, gets a substantial payout, so he had effectively given himself a 1 in 40 (ish) chance of winning the main payout, at the cost of hundreds of thousands, but with a guaranteed return of whatever the second prize was.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 04:16 AM   #11
DragonLady
Illuminator

This.

As a teenager, I spent two summers of my life writing out the possible combinations when Arizona first got the lottery. I was convinced it could be done; and won a few people to my thinking when I was able to show them my work.

The confusion comes, I think, when trying to explain that each number can only be drawn ONCE, so working out the combinations for the possible winners is exactly the same as working out all the phone numbers in a particular calling area; you only need to change one digit each time:

1 2 3 4 5 6
1 2 3 4 5 7
1 2 3 4 5 8
1 2 3 4 5 9

1 2 3 4 6 7
1 2 3 4 6 8
1 2 3 4 6 9

1 2 3 4 7 8
1 2 3 4 7 9
… and so forth

But, it would still cost thousands to buy enough tickets to cover the possibilities, and if you split the win with just one other, you've likely lost money.

That said, if I ever win the lottery, there's a better-than-even chance I'll drop a chunk of my winnings on another lottery if I think the payout is big enough to be worth the gamble.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 04:54 AM   #12
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
That said, if I ever win the lottery, there's a better-than-even chance I'll drop a chunk of my winnings on another lottery if I think the payout is big enough to be worth the gamble.
If I ever win the lottery I will drop all of my winnings on another lottery, and keep doing so until I have 'won' 14 times!
Old 15th September 2018, 05:00 AM   #13
DragonLady
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
If I ever win the lottery I will drop all of my winnings on another lottery, and keep doing so until I have 'won' 14 times!
You've changed my mind! If I ever win the lottery, I will probably put up a chunk of my winnings as a prize for another lottery...and sell tickets.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 11:50 PM   #14
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

That is not at all what is indicated in the article. In the case of the Virginia lottery (the only one described in any detail) they actually tried to buy every possible combination of numbers. According to the article they ultimately failed in that attempt, only covering about 5.5 million of the 7 million possible combinations, so they actually got a bit lucky.

The guy is definitely a con artist. For starters he was telling investors that they were going to get a 6x return on their investment if they have the only winning numbers. In the case of the Virginia lottery, though, apparently they won about $12 million on an investment of about $6 million. A good return certainly, but nowhere near 6x, and they were very much at risk of losing, or just breaking even if there had been a second winner on the jackpot.

He also basically absconded with most of the money rather than building on this success to develop a lottery-winning machine.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:07 AM   #15
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I think you should read the article.

I read it a week ago, so this is from memory, but I believe he claimed to have used this method with his first lottery, and thereafter aimed at printing every single permutation available, not just 5 out of 6. Five out of six, of course, gets a substantial payout, so he had effectively given himself a 1 in 40 (ish) chance of winning the main payout, at the cost of hundreds of thousands, but with a guaranteed return of whatever the second prize was.
Yes, and you pay FAR more for all these tickets than you win on the second price - and this per the design of how much the 2nd price pays out - plus all the 3rd, 4th etc prices. The you still have only a 1 in 10 chance to win 1st price, and on average you lose money.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:14 AM   #16
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

The only way to guatantee a win is if and when jackpots amount to more than the price of all possible tickets, but no lottery is foolish enough to allow for that. The Eurojackpot, for example has a 1 in 140 million or so probability for 1st price, but the Jackpot is capped at 90 million. The difference, 50 million roundabout, is far more than all the collateral 2nd, 3rd 4th prices net you, so you lose.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:34 AM   #17
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
That is not at all what is indicated in the article.
Yes it is.

Quote:
In the case of the Virginia lottery (the only one described in any detail) they actually tried to buy every possible combination of numbers.......
Which is what I said, but not what you were claiming originally.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:36 AM   #18
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Yes, and you pay FAR more for all these tickets than you win on the second price - and this per the design of how much the 2nd price pays out - plus all the 3rd, 4th etc prices. The you still have only a 1 in 10 chance to win 1st price, and on average you lose money.
This was why he only attempted to play when there was a mega roll-over.
Old 19th September 2018, 01:48 AM   #19
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Yes it is.

Which is what I said, but not what you were claiming originally.
This is from the original article:

Quote:
Using the algorithm, Mandel claimed he could accurately predict 5 of the 6 winning numbers, reducing the number of combinations in a lottery from millions to mere thousands. With a band of friends and acquaintances, he took a big risk and purchased large blocks of lottery tickets with the combinations his formula has deemed to be most likely.
Again, supposedly reducing the number of combinations from millions to thousands. That part is total BS on the part of Mandel; that is not remotely what he did. I think it's included in the article either out of financial naivete on the part of the writer, or perhaps as a hook to the somewhat more mundane story of buying every ticket.
Old 23rd September 2018, 02:42 PM   #20
Fudbucker
Philosopher

The only way to guatantee a win is if and when jackpots amount to more than the price of all possible tickets, but no lottery is foolish enough to allow for that. The Eurojackpot, for example has a 1 in 140 million or so probability for 1st price, but the Jackpot is capped at 90 million. The difference, 50 million roundabout, is far more than all the collateral 2nd, 3rd 4th prices net you, so you lose.
Powerball jackpots in America sometimes exceed the price of all possible tickets. Price of a ticket is $2, odds of winning are 1 in 292,201,338.00 and there has been at least one jackpot of over a billion dollars.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 11:40 AM   #21
Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Powerball jackpots in America sometimes exceed the price of all possible tickets. Price of a ticket is $2, odds of winning are 1 in 292,201,338.00 and there has been at least one jackpot of over a billion dollars.
Yeah, the prize regularly goes up to "Technically worth buying a ticket" on a fairly regular basis for Powerball and Mega Millions, especially once you figure in the lesser secondary prizes you would win buy buying every combination. The problems now are the logistics of buying over a quarter of a billion tickets, and being sure that you would be the only winner (more of a problem since a lot of people buy more tickets "when it's worth it").
Old 25th September 2018, 09:27 AM   #22
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Yeah, the prize regularly goes up to "Technically worth buying a ticket" on a fairly regular basis for Powerball and Mega Millions, especially once you figure in the lesser secondary prizes you would win buy buying every combination. The problems now are the logistics of buying over a quarter of a billion tickets, and being sure that you would be the only winner (more of a problem since a lot of people buy more tickets "when it's worth it").
Funny enough, I did a basic probability calculation on both not long ago: figured the odds for each prize level times the amount of the prize to get expected return. I didn't account for multiple winners of the jackpot, of course, but I did find one interesting tidbit: Your expected return goes down if you buy the multiplier on the ticket (the one that lets you get the biggest jackpot). IIRC, it was something like 1 in 200 million overall for a regular ticket, and closer to 1 in 300-350 million for the "bonus plus super multiplier" ticket, due to the added ticket cost.

ETA: Of course, since without the multiplier you cap at a smaller jackpot (IIRC, to get the progressive big win you have to have it), the only way to get a positive expected return is to buy it with that.

Last edited by Hellbound; 25th September 2018 at 09:29 AM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance