ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts

Old 1st April 2014, 11:37 AM   #1
HutchTheCrutch
Student

Ellacoya Country Store in Gilford

I don't for one minute believe this is paranormal, but I've studied this frame by frame from a download and I have so far, tentatively, come up with the vibrations caused by a passing truck moving the glass top which seems to be precariously perched in the first place. The video is quality is not fantastic and therefore difficult to make out the detail.

Anybody else got any theories?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1736284

Pete
Old 1st April 2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Why does everyone in the story say "there is no ordinary explanation therefore it must be ghosts"? Why can't it be fairies, or sprites, or invisible aliens, or HAARP, or Ley lines or any of the hundreds of other supernatural things that people often believe?

I wonder if today's so-called scientists will be able to measure the precise value of all this free publicity.

Last edited by Ladewig; 1st April 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Biscuit
Philosopher

Ghosts are why we can't have nice things. Why are they always smashing things?

It's an interesting video and I am sure the press doesn't hurt the gift shops bottom line. There are just too many natural explanations and reasons to fake it.
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:04 AM   #4
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Why does everyone in the story say "there is no ordinary explanation therefore it must be ghosts"? Why can't it be fairies, or sprites, or invisible aliens, or HAARP, or Ley lines or any of the hundreds of other supernatural things that people often believe?
Or telekinetic teenagers, or invisible cats...............
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:23 AM   #5
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 05:27 AM   #6
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Or invisible telekinetic teenage cats.
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:05 AM   #7
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Or The Flash

Or Wonder Woman's invisible plane

Or Violet Parr from The Incredibles
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Two possibilities:

Most likely: A fake to get publicity for the store.
It's hard to say for sure because pausing the video doesn't freeze the screen without blacking it out, but if you look at the second frame of the glass moving it's blurred like it got one good push. It wouldn't be hard to have edited the push event out of the video given it's not one smooth shot but rather individual frames. Since the woman is completely out of the shot when the glass moves, nothing would mark a missing second of the video.

Less likely but reasonable explanation: Vibrations from an external cause.
If vibrations were that strong, one would expect people to know about the phenomena. Nothing else is moving or vibrating. The glass doesn't 'walk' itself over to the edge as one would expect with vibrations.
Old 8th April 2014, 03:36 PM   #9
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Hard to see what happens. I can't see the lid lift. It seems to rotate slightly, then move towards the table ed, divert slightly along the table, then fall off.
Was it actually on top of the cakes?
I'm guessing we are seeing the lubricating powers of cream.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2014, 04:08 PM   #10
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

It's pretty obviously a ghost. The question now is "Whose ghost is it?"

Unfortunately, the video doesn't help us answer the debate between the "only humans can have ghosts" and the "animal ghosts are possible too" sides of the issue. But such is the nature of scientific investigation - every answer spawns even more questions.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 06:33 AM   #11
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it's a thetan.
Old 10th April 2014, 06:45 AM   #12
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Well, the narrative of the clerk doesn't match her actions. You can see her strolling past the front window just after it crashed, yet she claims that she heard the crash and looked around and saw the mess. I think she left out "some time later", as she's not heading into the store but off to stage right just after it happens.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 06:57 AM   #13
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

I like that the reporter doing the voice over says, "a glass top to a cake display is lifted up and thrown to the floor," instead of the more accurate ...slides across the counter and falls to the floor.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal