ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghost sightings , ghosts

Old 17th August 2016, 08:07 AM   #1
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Question Ghost Caught On Camera at Police Station

https://youtu.be/Qw6iPBb5cqo

According to the guy from the Top15 channel, skeptics have not yet debunked this. When I typed in google "Ghost caught on camera at police station debunked" I got nothing.

I don't know if CGI's can be used on security footage but if this is the case, then I wonder if these guys got fired when their chief found out...

Either the camera isn't working properly or someone's been tampering with it to sneak in and steal something (this could be a burglar.). That's what I'm thinking.

CT mode on: "Or it's an MIB from Area 51 that's been testing out the latest cloaking software!!!1! " CT mode off.

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2016, 08:40 AM   #2
learner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post

According to the guy from the Top15 channel, skeptics have not yet debunked this. When I typed in google "Ghost caught on camera at police station debunked" I got nothing.

I don't know if CGI's can be used on security footage but if this is the case, then I wonder if these guys got fired when their chief found out...

Either the camera isn't working properly or someone's been tampering with it to sneak in and steal something (this could be a burglar.). That's what I'm thinking.

CT mode on: "Or it's an MIB from Area 51 that's been testing out the latest cloaking software!!!1! " CT mode off.

I will have a stab at debunking it for the chap at Top 15 channel.

"There is no such thing as Ghosts, therefore it cannot be a Ghost"

Job done
Old 17th August 2016, 08:53 AM   #3
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Call the 'Ghost Busters'! They ain't afraid of no ghost.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2016, 09:02 AM   #4
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by learner View Post
I will have a stab at debunking it for the chap at Top 15 channel.

"There is no such thing as Ghosts, therefore it cannot be a Ghost"

Job done
In one of his videos, he sounds really pissed (or atleast an attempt at being pissed, since his voice reminds me of someone with a depression.) about how skeptics debunk every ghost story saying: "what's wrong with believing in the paranormal?"

Forgot which video it is...

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2016, 09:34 AM   #5
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Funny how the seconds on the clock stop incrementing mid clip, no?

Didn't strike you as odd, no?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

I saw an insect crawling on the camera lens
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2016, 10:19 AM   #7
tinribmancer

Talking

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Funny how the seconds on the clock stop incrementing mid clip, no?

Didn't strike you as odd, no?
Seriously? Didn't even notice that.

Then again, the video is (as every single "ghost" video) in bad quality. I can hardly see the timer.

The insect looks like a fly.

Old 17th August 2016, 10:21 AM   #8
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously? Didn't even notice that.

Then again, the video is (as every single "ghost" video) in bad quality. I can hardly see the timer.

The insect looks like a fly.
Yup. 17...18...19...20...20...20...20 and so forth.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2016, 11:39 AM   #9
Axxman300
Illuminator

Part of my job is watching security cameras. With digital cameras there is something called a logic chip, it is key for the digital brain in interpreting the image. I don't pretend to know how it works, but I do know that some logic chips are better than others, and they all tend to do weird things as they age (5 years or older with 24/7 use).

You see the footage hiccup, and then a faint white blob. That's caused by the logic chip trying to keep up with inaccurate data after what looks like a power surge.

Also, a red flag is that this is a secondary recording made off of a screen showing the original. Many questions arise from this fact. The person recording doesn't have authorization or access or both to the original footage nor official software to copy the footage.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2016, 11:42 AM   #10
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

Seemed to be pretty well debunked in the comments under the video.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:43 AM   #11
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I did not bother to open the video, but if I heard there was a ghost at a police station I'd consider it likely the spirit of justice, roaming homeless.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2016, 03:38 PM   #12
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Call the 'Ghost Busters'! They ain't afraid of no ghost.
Only misogynists.
Old 17th August 2016, 10:29 PM   #13
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I did not bother to open the video, but if I heard there was a ghost at a police station I'd consider it likely the spirit of justice, roaming homeless.
The only reason the video is available is 'cos the ghost was white so the police didn't shoot it.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2016, 10:41 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Looks like either an out of focus person or a bug on the lens. I'm favoring a grossly out of focus bug on the lens.

Notice at first you have an in focus shot, then when said thing moves across the scene, suddenly it's totally out of focus.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 17th August 2016 at 10:44 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2016, 03:55 AM   #15
Femke
Goddess of the Glowing Sunsets

The title "OMG, look! A Ghost" will prime you to see a person with a head, arms and legs, moving stealtily across a floor.
When they would say: "Can you spot the out-of-focus spider" you will see the typical scurrying of a small arthropod across the cam lense.

(I totally stole this from one of the comments)
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.

Last edited by Femke; 18th August 2016 at 03:57 AM. Reason: tyop
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2016, 05:19 AM   #16
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

It's a bug moving across the lens. The bokeh effect is pronounced, which makes it look ghostly and out of focus.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2016, 09:18 AM   #17
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Its not a "ghost" surveilance tapes often show a bit of whatever they taped before the tape was taped over.
Old 20th August 2016, 01:57 AM   #18
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

I'm not sure skeptics have anything they need to debunk.
It's a massive leap from seeing a blurred figure on a video to "when you die you turn into a ghost, and you still look like you, and at least some of your personality remains, and you can be videoed"
The video is evidence of what it shows, be it blurred figure or blurred bug. Once the claimant has set out the case for this being a ghost, and provided evidence for that, then there is something to debunk.
Old 20th August 2016, 02:40 AM   #19
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Bizarre coincidence - about 20 minutes ago, I was explaining to someone that ghost stories are big at the moment, on the back of this idiotic nonsense hitting a local paper today: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=11665531

Three months ago, this even-worse garbage did the rounds.

Maybe it's the case that real life is so weird in some minds that a little supernatural looks attractive?
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:23 AM   #20
Marasmusine
Scholar

There's nothing to debunk. It is low resolution, compressed, blurry video footage of low-resolution video footage showing either an artifact or an otherwise easy-to-hoax visual effect.
Marasmusine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2016, 02:57 PM   #21
Stylesjl
Thinker

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
The only reason the video is available is 'cos the ghost was white so the police didn't shoot it.
And the response that would happen if they shot the ghost: #blackafterlivesmatter
Stylesjl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2016, 04:19 PM   #22
EHocking
Philosopher

"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal