IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alien visitation

Reply
Old 14th August 2022, 02:10 AM   #1161
Olmstead
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,396
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
As for your first paragraph, yes that is exactly my point in my response just a few comments up...the OP said it was an xiaomi webcam (not sure the exact model) and it is most definitely digital and fairly inexpensive, which means that you are correct it is most likely fully automatic. Your point about WB is. correct, and in addition, the ISO is also fully AUTO. Which means that as it becomes darker abruptly during the outage, the camera is gonna struggle to adjust its settings, resulting in both potential changes in color (from WB) and exposure (from auto ISO) totally normal stuff but misleading if you are trying to use the results as evidence of anything unusual.
That was my thinking as well. Something flashing in the distance at that point is a little too convoluted for my taste, although it could happen.

Completely debunking the video requires an expert in optics, an expert in video surveillance equipment, and an expert in electrical engineering, but it only takes one deluded maniac to "prove" it is aliens. An annoying feature of such claims.

But the people in the thread have done a pretty good job of explaining all of the phenomena.
Olmstead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:11 AM   #1162
cjdelphi
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I would have thought that having a power outage every time someone tries to drive their car would be kind of inconvenient.
Why would you use an ion drive in a car?

Do you get planes flying over you daily like 100ft high? No cars wouldn't use an ion drive a craft would and any craft flying low enough to cause the power to drop out is flying dangerously

Do I need to explain everything?
cjdelphi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:12 AM   #1163
cjdelphi
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
That was my thinking as well. Something flashing in the distance at that point is a little too convoluted for my taste, although it could happen.

Completely debunking the video requires an expert in optics, an expert in video surveillance equipment, and an expert in electrical engineering, but it only takes one deluded maniac to "prove" it is aliens. An annoying feature of such claims.

But the people in the thread have done a pretty good job of explaining all of the phenomena.
I've done a better job disproving their theories, yet here we are still! And the fact you think we need an optical expert is the only thing that you said that is correct

Last edited by cjdelphi; 14th August 2022 at 02:14 AM.
cjdelphi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:16 AM   #1164
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 36,838
Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
Why would you use an ion drive in a car?

I’ve no idea, but you brought up petrol engines in cars being banned as a reason for using ion drives instead:

Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
Petrol cars will be banned in 2035 to 2055 in most western countries because they use fossil fuels, if ion drives tick all the green boxes that's what will be used and an ion drive will take the power out, an ion drive might be the only legally allowed way to travel one day like petrol is going to get banned here

But all this is kind of off-topic, because things that might happen in the future aren’t evidence for anything until they happen, and even if the use of ion drives did become commonplace at some point in the future it wouldn’t be evidence for your aliens. An expert in logic should know this.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 14th August 2022 at 02:20 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:21 AM   #1165
Olmstead
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,396
Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
I've done a better job disproving their theories, yet here we are still! And the fact you think we need an optical expert is the only thing that you said that is correct
Hush now, the adults are talking. You go back to writing your bad science fiction novel, while we discuss some science.
Olmstead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:22 AM   #1166
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 15,294
Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
It's hard to a reply to someone who's only intent is to ridicule you
It's hard to reply to someone who's only intent is to cling to a belief in which they are heavily emotionally invested but cannot support with objective evidence or reasonable argument.

If your claim is being ridiculed you should at least consider the possibility it's because it's ridiculous.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:40 AM   #1167
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 26,736
Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
It is, why you sounding paranoid?
Interesting. And how does that make you feel?
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:42 AM   #1168
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 26,736
Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
It's hard to a reply to someone who's only intent is to ridicule you

It wasn't a light I think we perceive it as light and if you only clean power source is a fusion drive the pumping that energy into ionic wind to get around cleanly and silently makes complete sense

Petrol cars will be banned in 2035 to 2055 in most western countries because they use fossil fuels, if ion drives tick all the green boxes that's what will be used and an ion drive will take the power out, an ion drive might be the only legally allowed way to travel one day like petrol is going to get banned here

If only ion drives are allowed to fly with mini fusion reactors then that's all that gets manufactured

Time is on my side ..
But that's all your "work" is good enough for.
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:43 AM   #1169
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 26,736
Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
I've done a better job disproving their theories, yet here we are still! And the fact you think we need an optical expert is the only thing that you said that is correct
Bravo. You've earned even more microwavable pizza rolls.
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:46 AM   #1170
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
Show me a bat or transformer lighting up a path and not the entire street, ridiculous theory
...
It doubtlessly did light up the whole street. It just wasn't your street, it was one street over.

Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
https://youtu.be/_B7q_ZDL2YU

Anyone with a better theory, contact me ...
Your latest video is a loop of the moment the power tries and fails to reconnect and it perfectly well illustrates the flash of the fault still being present, 250 feet in front the camera, directly behind the house opposite. The flash lights up the tops of the trees while your street remains in shadow. Indirect light from the glow in the trees is seen on the car and the path on the right.


Here's how close the transformer pole is to your street. 250 feet in front of your camera. You would have a direct view of it except the house opposite you is right in the way.



The three phase power lines only come halfway up your street. That transformer is as close to you as they are. It's the only local one I could find using Streetview. You seem to have fixated on the notion that the power line fault must have happened in your own street. I can't see any good reason to assume that. I can see that both streets' power lines join each other at the street corners and are directly bonded together. Your street's overhead power lines join others which run right to the transformer pole.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 14th August 2022 at 03:10 AM. Reason: clarity
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 03:25 AM   #1171
cjdelphi
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
It doubtlessly did light up the whole street. It just wasn't your street, it was one street over.



Your latest video is a loop of the moment the power tries and fails to reconnect and it perfectly well illustrates the flash of the fault still being present, 250 feet in front the camera, directly behind the house opposite. The flash lights up the tops of the trees while your street remains in shadow. Indirect light from the glow in the trees is seen on the car and the path on the right.


Here's how close the transformer pole is to your street. 250 feet in front of your camera. You would have a direct view of it except the house opposite you is right in the way.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8c195df7d1.jpg

The three phase power lines only come halfway up your street. That transformer is as close to you as they are. It's the only local one I could find using Streetview. You seem to have fixated on the notion that the power line fault must have happened in your own street. I can't see any good reason to assume that. I can see that both streets' power lines join each other at the street corners and are directly bonded together. Your street's overhead power lines join others which run right to the transformer pole.
I can see you're forever going to explain this as a natural source even though a transformer and bat can't be responsible

I regress, until an optical expert arrives to confirm my theory, transformer lol too funny a light quarter of a km.away lighting up my path without the tree lol too funny

I'll wait for an expert....
cjdelphi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 04:11 AM   #1172
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 26,736
Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
I can see you're forever going to explain this as a natural source even though a transformer and bat can't be responsible

I regress, until an optical expert arrives to confirm my theory, transformer lol too funny a light quarter of a km.away lighting up my path without the tree lol too funny

I'll wait for an expert....
This is why you fail.

Well, it's one of several reasons but the highlighted is a large tile in a complex mosaic of failure.
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.

Last edited by Craig4; 14th August 2022 at 04:12 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 04:43 AM   #1173
MBDK
Muse
 
MBDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This is why you fail.

I must add to that list this fact: No examination of evidence can truly be accurate unless you pay attention to detail, which our imagineer also fails at. Unless they are completely incompetent, their failure to recognize 250 feet is NOT 1/4 of a kilometer, would be such an example.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 05:01 AM   #1174
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,175
Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
I must add to that list this fact: No examination of evidence can truly be accurate unless you pay attention to detail, which our imagineer also fails at. Unless they are completely incompetent, their failure to recognize 250 feet is NOT 1/4 of a kilometer, would be such an example.
But it is a quarter of a kilofoot, and that is what really matters .
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 05:11 AM   #1175
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 36,838
Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
I must add to that list this fact: No examination of evidence can truly be accurate unless you pay attention to detail, which our imagineer also fails at. Unless they are completely incompetent, their failure to recognize 250 feet is NOT 1/4 of a kilometer, would be such an example.

As would not realising that light can travel that far, or that it travels in straight lines.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 05:19 AM   #1176
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by cjdelphi View Post
I can see you're forever going to explain this as a natural source even though a transformer and bat can't be responsible
I see you're forever going to run away from the explanation the power company already handed you on a plate, and you're going to make absolutely no effort to confirm or refute it except to declare it impossible for reasons you won't describe. We know Adelaide gets scores of these power cuts caused by bats every year.

Quote:
I regress, until an optical expert arrives to confirm my theory, transformer lol too funny a light quarter of a km.away lighting up my path without the tree lol too funny

I'll wait for an expert....
Regress? Okay, whatever. But 250 feet is 76 metres away. With your usual lack of attention to detail you think that's "quarter of a km.away" i.e. 250 metres. That would be 820 feet.

I even gave you a map of your own neighbourhood and drew a line to the transformer in the very next street over.

Yes, on reflection, maybe you had better wait for an expert. I only seem able to lead this horse to water.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 14th August 2022 at 05:20 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 05:33 AM   #1177
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post

I even gave you a map of your own neighbourhood and drew a line to the transformer in the very next street over.
Okay, an aerial photo rather than a map. And maybe it's hard to see details on your phone. But for goodness sake it's your own neighbourhood. You don't even need to use Google maps; you can step outside and actually look at it.

You really don't have any excuse for not getting what happened here beyond a stubborn determination not to get it.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:29 AM   #1178
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,482
I see the question I asked here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=1131 has gone unanswered.

If a bat had momentarily shorted out a high voltage transformer, how much evidence do you think you could see from the ground? You could not even recognize a picture of a bird at that distance.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:37 AM   #1179
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 34,196
I stepped out on the back porch last night, and the LED bug light was making almost exactly the same sound as recorded here. OMIGOD! they've landed here now!
__________________
Like many humorless and indignant people, he is hard on everybody but himself, and does not perceive it when he fails his own ideal (MoliŤre)

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:41 AM   #1180
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 36,838
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I see the question I asked here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=1131 has gone unanswered.

If a bat had momentarily shorted out a high voltage transformer, how much evidence do you think you could see from the ground? You could not even recognize a picture of a bird at that distance.

He still hasnít really said what a Search BeamTM is either, although heís modified it to a ďa transportation beam of some kindĒ, presumably because a ďsearch beamĒ would be difficult to define in a way that would distinguish it from a searchlight.

So, cjdelphi, what did the ďbeamĒ in your video transport?
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:43 AM   #1181
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 36,838
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I stepped out on the back porch last night, and the LED bug light was making almost exactly the same sound as recorded here. OMIGOD! they've landed here now!

They most likely mistook your back porch for Alpha Centauri again.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:45 AM   #1182
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I see the question I asked here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=1131 has gone unanswered.

If a bat had momentarily shorted out a high voltage transformer, how much evidence do you think you could see from the ground? You could not even recognize a picture of a bird at that distance.
As for what the camera could see of it, I'm reminded of Sam Weller in the Pickwick Papers being cross examined on his eyesight; "If they wos a pair o' patent double million magnifyin' gas microscopes of hextra power, p'raps I might be able to see through a flight o' stairs and a deal door; but bein' only eyes, you see, my wision 's limited".

(Yes of course I googled it. It's a really good line and deserved not to be paraphrased.)
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:48 AM   #1183
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
He still hasnít really said what a Search BeamTM is either, although heís modified it to a ďa transportation beam of some kindĒ, presumably because a ďsearch beamĒ would be difficult to define in a way that would distinguish it from a searchlight.

So, cjdelphi, what did the ďbeamĒ in your video transport?
Alien search beams make a different sounding audio glitch from alien transporter beams. Very distinctive. Ironically, inaudible to bats.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:53 AM   #1184
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 36,838
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Alien search beams make a different sounding audio glitch from alien transporter beams. Very distinctive. Ironically, inaudible to bats.

I couldnít see anything being transported in the video, so Iím curious as to how cjdelphi could identify a brief flash of light as ďa transportation beam of some kindď.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:57 AM   #1185
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,175
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I stepped out on the back porch last night, and the LED bug light was making almost exactly the same sound as recorded here. OMIGOD! they've landed here now!
They are everywhere. There is no escape. Our intrepid and knowledgeable OP has advised us to be very afraid.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 07:07 AM   #1186
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I couldnít see anything being transported in the video, so Iím curious as to how cjdelphi could identify a brief flash of light as ďa transportation beam of some kindď.
All the action happened in the unrecorded second. You hear the transport beam before the aliens appear just like in Star Trek. Or is it after? Doesn't matter; the point is Star Trek's basically a documentary. Or, about as legit a documentary as some other stuff that's been linked to in this thread.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 07:39 AM   #1187
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 8,302
Even worse, it's

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It's hard to reply to someone who's only intent is to cling to a belief in which they are heavily emotionally invested but cannot support with objective evidence or reasonable argument.

If your claim is being ridiculed you should at least consider the possibility it's because it's ridiculous.
hard to ridicule someone whose only reply is to make stuff up. Or who stuffs makeup
up
up

Aw jeeze, now my syntax has been zapped by a neon drive.



NB: I am not picking on you, Pixel. But what's a poor buffoon to do, amidst all this low-hanging fruitcake?
__________________
If you would learn a man's character, give him authority.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 07:49 AM   #1188
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,175
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I couldnít see anything being transported in the video, so Iím curious as to how cjdelphi could identify a brief flash of light as ďa transportation beam of some kindď.
cjdelphi knows, man! cjdelphi just knows! cjdelphi is an expert on all things alien. We are told so rather frequently in this very thread.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 08:14 AM   #1189
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 36,838
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
low-hanging fruitcake

I am stealing that.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 08:18 AM   #1190
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 8,302
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I am stealing that.
Je sÍme Š tout vents.
__________________
If you would learn a man's character, give him authority.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 09:27 AM   #1191
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,482
I have taken away one plus from this monster crash. I Googled >Ion Thrusters< as I was wondering about if/how they would work in the atmosphere. It turns out the answer is "possibly but not very well".

I think that one powerful enough to do any lifting in the lower atmosphere of this planet would cause some serious electromagnetic side effects above a simple beam of visible light.

__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 09:39 AM   #1192
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
It doubtlessly did light up the whole street. It just wasn't your street, it was one street over.



Your latest video is a loop of the moment the power tries and fails to reconnect and it perfectly well illustrates the flash of the fault still being present, 250 feet in front the camera, directly behind the house opposite. The flash lights up the tops of the trees while your street remains in shadow. Indirect light from the glow in the trees is seen on the car and the path on the right.


Here's how close the transformer pole is to your street. 250 feet in front of your camera. You would have a direct view of it except the house opposite you is right in the way.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8c195df7d1.jpg

The three phase power lines only come halfway up your street. That transformer is as close to you as they are. It's the only local one I could find using Streetview. You seem to have fixated on the notion that the power line fault must have happened in your own street. I can't see any good reason to assume that. I can see that both streets' power lines join each other at the street corners and are directly bonded together. Your street's overhead power lines join others which run right to the transformer pole.
I think that perfectly explains the lights on the trees and path--but what about the light on the pots/path directly in front and on the bottom of the video--at about 0:19 of the slowed down clip? I'm not sure about that.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 09:52 AM   #1193
Olmstead
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,396
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
I think that perfectly explains the lights on the trees and path--but what about the light on the pots/path directly in front and on the bottom of the video--at about 0:19 of the slowed down clip? I'm not sure about that.
I'm not sure if you're joking? We've gone over this a hundred times. The last light is literally his light. He even provided pictures of it and admitted that the shadows match the ones cast by his light.

There was a routine automatic test of the circuit after the power outage, and some of the lights came on for a moment.

His response is that he is the smartest, and he knows that there was no way for the lights to come back for a moment.
Olmstead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 10:04 AM   #1194
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,185
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I have taken away one plus from this monster crash. I Googled >Ion Thrusters< as I was wondering about if/how they would work in the atmosphere. It turns out the answer is "possibly but not very well".
Ion drives meant for work in the atmosphere would be entirely different from those in space. Experiments have been done on this and, as you expected, don't lead to promising results.

Atmospheric ion drives would probably come from this field:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrohydrodynamics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion-propelled_aircraft

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I think that one powerful enough to do any lifting in the lower atmosphere of this planet would cause some serious electromagnetic side effects above a simple beam of visible light.
Simply scaling up an ion thruster intended for space would, but that's not at all likely to happen. It would be way too energy inefficient for one thing.

The techniques cited at the Wikipedia articles above generally don't lead to those problems, but then they don't work yet.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 14th August 2022 at 10:11 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 10:16 AM   #1195
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,482
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Ion drives meant for work in the atmosphere would be entirely different from those in space. Experiments have been done on this and, as you expected, don't lead to promising results.

Atmospheric ion drives would probably come from this field:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrohydrodynamics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion-propelled_aircraft


Simply scaling up an ion thruster intended for space would, but that's not at all likely to happen. It would be way too energy inefficient for one thing.

The techniques cited at the Wikipedia articles above generally don't lead to those problems, but then they don't work yet.
Ah. I missed the second link. Thanks. I am still a bit boggled about what the effects of blasting a huge stream of ionized gas into the free atmosphere at close to ground level would be. But, as a WAG, suggest that they would at least be noticeable.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 10:29 AM   #1196
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,185
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I am still a bit boggled about what the effects of blasting a huge stream of ionized gas into the free atmosphere at close to ground level would be.
Theoretically no different from being under a helicopter of the same size. Most of the air moved by those techniques isn't ionized, but gets accelerated due to collisions with ions. And the ions are typically neutralized before leaving the thruster too.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 10:42 AM   #1197
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 36,838
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Je sÍme Š tout vents.

That has a certain je ne sais quoi, but I donít know what it means.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 10:51 AM   #1198
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
I think that perfectly explains the lights on the trees and path--but what about the light on the pots/path directly in front and on the bottom of the video--at about 0:19 of the slowed down clip? I'm not sure about that.
That light comes on briefly just after the flash of the aborted mains reconnection. The shadows it casts on the plant pots seem to match the shadows present when the lights are on before the power cut, though it's very much dimmer.

I infer it's one of the existing lights, which receives just enough energy into its power supply from the attempt to reinstate the mains that the energy discharges as a low intensity glow from the light.

The OP showed us a picture of an LED light fitting under the eaves of his house, pointing directly down so far as I could see, out of shot to the left from the camera's viewpoint. That seems to be the perfect candidate.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 11:26 AM   #1199
MBDK
Muse
 
MBDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Theoretically no different from being under a helicopter of the same size. Most of the air moved by those techniques isn't ionized, but gets accelerated due to collisions with ions. And the ions are typically neutralized before leaving the thruster too.

One important aspect here, in relation to any supposed alien visitation, is that type of drive requires a gaseous medium in which to operate. This severely limits your travel opportunities through interstellar space, to say the least.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 11:39 AM   #1200
malbui
Beauf
 
malbui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,438
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
That has a certain je ne sais quoi, but I donít know what it means.
I imagine it's a misspelled reference to a 1952 film about an extra-terrestrial visiting Earth.

"Je sŤme ŗ tout vent" loosely means something like "I scatter to the four winds".
__________________
"But Master! Does not the fire need water too? Does not the mountain need the storm? Does not your scrotum need kicking?"
malbui is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.