ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #1361
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
LL,
- I've tried multiple times. That's why I tried to denote self as that which reincarnationists think comes back to life,

Except that's not a definition. There are many types of reincarnationists who believe all manner of things.

What is this "self"? When does it form? Does it change over your lifetime? Does it have likes and dislikes? Does it love individual people? Does it have a memory? Can it be studied or tested?

Quote:
- How about the barer of consciousness? The 'thing' that recognizes or experiences existence. Whatever it is that is aware.

That's an illusion created by a working neurosystem. It doesn't exist.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #1362
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

LL,
- I've tried multiple times.
And failed dismally at every attempt. Why is it that you are unable to define what ever nonsense?

That's why I tried to denote self as that which reincarnationists think comes back to life, or that which would be looking out two sets of eyes if it were actually duplicated.
Not this crap yet again. Five years of explaining to you why this is flat out wrong and still nothing from you.

At this point, you are claiming that Christianity is fundamentally wrong and Buddhism is correct. Are you sure you want to do that?

- How about the barer of consciousness? The 'thing' that recognizes or experiences existence. Whatever it is that is aware.
That would be a brain process. An entirely material process.

At this point it would not surprise be if you endorsed Sikhism. You simply do not care what belief you endorse even if it conflicts with your own.

And that said, at this point, it is unclear what on earth you really believe. You have endorsed so many conflicting faiths at this point that this whole thread has become a nonsense.

You are so all over the place at this point that nobody can tell what you believe.

Are you a christian? A muslim? a Jain? Evangelical? a JW?, a Mormon? an RCC, something else?

At this point, you have taken all of these positions at various times. What on earth is your actual position? And why is it that you cannot say? Are you ashamed of whatever it is you believe? Do you really need to appeal to non-christian religions? Really?
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM   #1363
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Only if it has four legs.
- I'll be back.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #1364
Argumemnon
World Maker

Toon,
- I don't know if you were being serious or not -- but, that is at least sort of where I think I'm at.
- I perceive the self as something that the vast majority of us take totally for granted when it's really the very last 'thing' we should take for granted. I think that scientifically speaking it's a total miracle. So far, I think it simply defies science.
- I had run into Taoism back in college and sort of fell in love, but hadn't consulted it since, and couldn't remember why I thought so highly of it back then. Thanks for reminding me.
It's amazing that after five years you're still at the starting line.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #1365
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

LL,
- I've tried multiple times. That's why I tried to denote self as that which reincarnationists think comes back to life, or that which would be looking out two sets of eyes if it were actually duplicated.
Actually, you've tried to avoid defining it countless times these 5 years. Vaguely defining it now as something some nebulous groups say means you have nothing but a lame excuse for a definition.

And stop with this 'looking out of two sets of eyes" drivel. That makes no objective sense that you have ever related.

You mean the brain and its emergent properties? That has been cleared up for at least 4 of the last 5 years.

Last edited by John Jones; Yesterday at 03:51 PM.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #1366
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

LL,
- I've tried multiple times. That's why I tried to denote self as that which reincarnationists think comes back to life, or that which would be looking out two sets of eyes if it were actually duplicated.
Jabba, you seem to be implying that this:

suggests this:

that which would be looking out two sets of eyes if it were actually duplicated.
Can you explain why the one suggests the other to you?
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #1367
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Actually, what they say is "The Tao that can be described is not the true Tao."

Maybe Jabba has found the true Tao. And can't describe it.
Toon,
- I don't know if you were being serious or not -- but, that is at least sort of where I think I'm at.
- I perceive the self as something that the vast majority of us take totally for granted when it's really the very last 'thing' we should take for granted. I think that scientifically speaking it's a total miracle. So far, I think it simply defies science.
- I had run into Taoism back in college and sort of fell in love, but hadn't consulted it since, and couldn't remember why I thought so highly of it back then. Thanks for reminding me.
We are living in times in which many people, including our president, are bent on having adversarial relationships with facts. We are gathered here today, posting in a forum existing in that world. A forum in which people gather to take issue with beliefs, and yes, even facts.

In these headache-inducing times, I tend to avoid being serious about anything that isn't manifestly evident or at least settled science. For example, I'm dead serious when I say the sun rises in the east.

I recon the Taoist who made that remark was expressing something that is evidenced in the way our brains deal with reality.

Long story short, our entire experience of reality is a simulation, created unconsciously by our brains. For example, when you see the color yellow, that does not mean the light your eyes are detecting is yellow. It means the light has a particular wave length that your brain is wired to simulate as yellow. So yellow is really a distance.

The fact that our brains create these simulations tells me that our conscious minds cannot deal efficiently with reality in it's actual forms. We need simplified simulations of reality.

So, yeah. The Tao that can be described is not the true Tao. I'm serious.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #1368
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
[...]

So, yeah. The Tao that can be described is not the true Tao. I'm serious.
Roll another one,
Just like the other one.
You been holding onto it,
And I sure would like a hit!

Don't bogart that joint my friend,
Pass it over to me!
Don't bogart that joint my friend,
Pass it over to me!
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM   #1369
Mojo
Mostly harmless

And once again you are simply begging the question.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #1370
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Jabba, if something has been duplicated, how many of them are there?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #1371
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Under materialism, there is no such 'thing'. It is a product of a working brain. Why do you believe it is a thing, and not a process?
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #1372
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Not that one makes much more sense than the other, but do you mean 'barer' or 'bearer'?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #1373
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Jabba, if something has been duplicated, how many of them are there?
This is really getting crazy. We're essentially at the level of "Jabba do you understand that 1 and 2 aren't the same number?"
Old Today, 11:44 AM   #1374
The Sparrow
Muse

Well, he is trying to define something into existence, so he can use it in another inference...to PROVE immortality.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:52 AM   #1375
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
This is really getting crazy. We're essentially at the level of "Jabba do you understand that 1 and 2 aren't the same number?"
Well if they are identical, then they are the same. If they're the same thing, then there's only one of them. Conversely, if they're not the same thing, they must be different, so they're not identical (and that's where the soul is).

Or something.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:57 AM   #1376
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post

We've been there for quite some time, possibly years, and he has so far posted nothing that suggests that he does. He just avoids the question.

Last edited by Mojo; Today at 11:58 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy