IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th May 2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Unidentified canid shot by Montana farmer

We have a cryptid, folks!
According to several news reports the taxonomy of a predator shot by a farmer in Montana, aside from being "canid", cannot be determined visually. At first glance it might seem to be a wolf, but its fur and the size and shape of several physical features are wrong. DNA tests are currently underway to pin down its identification.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 05:26 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Denton, Montana is outside of the general distribution range for wolves in that state. This could be an unusual feral domestic dog. The head looks like a dog but the ears are unusually large. It might be a coyote dog hybrid. The color is like a wolf but it doesn't seem to have wolf characteristics.
Old 25th May 2018, 05:35 PM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'll place my bet on 100% coyote with the uncommon "black" coloration.
Old 25th May 2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I'll place my bet on 100% coyote with the uncommon "black" coloration.
Depends on the size. Looks large for a coyote. I'm guessing wolf-dog hybrid. Perhaps someone's "pet" that outgrew their ability to manage it.

Multiple "news" sites have said "Dire Wolf". Idiots. Aside from being extinct, those were pretty much huge.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 25th May 2018 at 05:52 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 06:43 PM   #5
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Depends on the size. Looks large for a coyote. I'm guessing wolf-dog hybrid. Perhaps someone's "pet" that outgrew their ability to manage it.

Multiple "news" sites have said "Dire Wolf". Idiots. Aside from being extinct, those were pretty much huge.
One reason they were Dire!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 06:47 PM   #6
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
One reason they were Dire!!!!!!!
This is a dyer: a wild dog that uses Hair Coloring for Men.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 07:29 PM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Depends on the size. Looks large for a coyote.
Here it is on the truck tailgate. I don't see why this is too large for coyote.

https://www.wkyc.com/img/resize/cont...750&height=422
Old 25th May 2018, 07:42 PM   #8
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Coyote wolf hybrids are pretty common in the East, so why not there too? "Coy wolves" can get pretty big.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 09:01 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Coyote wolf hybrids are pretty common in the East,
That is not a modern hybridization in the United States. The wolf doesn't exist in the eastern USA. Some do exist in Ontario and Quebec.

Quote:
so why not there too?
Montana is not known for wolf coyote hybrids. And as I mentioned earlier wolves do not live where this animal was shot.

Quote:
"Coy wolves" can get pretty big.
They are typically larger than a normal coyote. But it hasn't been established that this animal is larger than a normal coyote.

As far as I can see, what makes this animal different and confusing is the coloration. Putting that aside, there are no apparent physical features that suggest something other than a normal coyote. Montana state wildlife officials looked at the same photos we see. They suggest "not a wolf", but they don't say "not a coyote".

Melanistic coyotes do exist. Though they are uncommon, they primarily are found in the southeast USA, but can occur elsewhere. The melanistic coloration ranges from dark brown all the way to black.

You can Google "melanistic coyote" to see photos of animals that look much like the one that was shot in Montana.
Old 25th May 2018, 09:07 PM   #10
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I just attended a wildlife lecture! They had a good slide pointing out differences between wolves and coyotes. The ears and nose shape on this one do indeed look more like the coyote.
Old 25th May 2018, 09:07 PM   #11
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

It's my understanding that melanistic coyotes occur largely as a result of breeding with dogs.

I would bet the critter in question is a yote/dog hybrid.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 09:40 PM   #12
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Coy-dog or coyote.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 10:07 PM   #13
mikado
Graduate Poster

Never having met a wolf or a coyote, much to my disappointment, could it not just be a peculiar looking feral dog?
There's a huge amount of random variations among dogs
Old 26th May 2018, 04:57 AM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

People do get that the D&D/Game of Thrones "Dire Wolf" isn't/wasn't a real creature, right?

The actual real extinct species Canis dirus was about the same size as a modern wolf. The jaw was just structured larger to account for the larger prey animals available at the time.
Old 26th May 2018, 05:16 AM   #15
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

It's a dog
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 06:17 AM   #16
CompusMentus
Waiting for the Worms

My money would be on Coyote for sure

Compus
Old 26th May 2018, 10:30 AM   #17
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

IT'S BIGFOOT!!!!!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 11:48 AM   #18
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Did it drop any ear rings?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 02:54 PM   #19
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I'm going with coyote or coyote-dog hybrid (coydog). The bigger picture here though is how this incident only "proves" further there is no Bigfoot.

When some odd or unique animal shows up and humans see it, what do they usually want to do to it first? Kill it, beat it, capture it, divorce it, something it so they gain total control over it. And taking a picture is rarely their first reaction it seems. Even in this case, where's the pictures of it before its death?

And such and such and so and so and thus there is no Bigfoot because humans would have shot and killed one long before now had they existed, just like in this case. We simply can't help it. We're imperfect and unbalanced and capricious and stupid and selfish and...and we always gotta kill.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 05:40 PM   #20
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Long haired German Shepard mostly.
Old 26th May 2018, 06:18 PM   #21
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Coyote? Only if there are ACME crates in the vicinity.
Old 26th May 2018, 09:22 PM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just curious now how many syllables you all think there are in "coyote". Because I know how many there are in Montana.
Old 26th May 2018, 09:31 PM   #23
Venom
Philosopher

Apparently according to BBC there is speculation that it could be related to "Bigfoot" . I mean 'werewolf' is enough of a stretch, but c'mon.

I think it's some race of dog.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 12:06 AM   #24
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just curious now how many syllables you all think there are in "coyote". Because I know how many there are in Montana.
I've been known to switch between "Wile E. ..." and "Real men don't, Kill..." pretty much on a whim. Of course in the UK it's pretty much academic.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 12:11 AM   #25
rockinkt
Master Poster

I know what it is!
Wait a second...for some reason there's a black helicopter hovering over my house and a couple of black SUVs with dark tinted windows just pulled into my driveway.
Hmmmm...loud knocking at my door...wonder who it is?
I'll just answer the door and be right back to tell you all what that mysterious dog-like creature really is........
(sound of door breaking, muffled shouts, tires screeching, and revving motors fading into the distance)

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 12:15 AM   #26
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
I know what it is!
Wait a second...for some reason there's a black helicopter hovering over my house and a couple of black SUVs with dark tinted windows just pulled into my driveway.
Hmmmm...loud knocking at my door...wonder who it is?
I'll just answer the door and be right back to tell you all what that mysterious dog-like creature really is........
(sound of door breaking, muffled shouts, tires screeching, and revving motors fading into the distance)

Oh well, there goes another one. The big foot threads must be empty by now....

Old 27th May 2018, 04:15 AM   #27
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Denton, Montana is outside of the general distribution range for wolves in that state. This could be an unusual feral domestic dog. The head looks like a dog but the ears are unusually large. It might be a coyote dog hybrid. The color is like a wolf but it doesn't seem to have wolf characteristics.
Not at all large ears for a long-haired (or "coated") Alsatian (d.b.a. "German Shepherd" in USA). There's a darker version of the coated branch of the tree that doesn't have all that lovely chestnut brown. And the size of the beast is in keeping with a coated alsatian. A friend of mine had one in Montreal they're magnificent. (RIP Sonny - great dog!)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 27th May 2018 at 04:21 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 04:20 AM   #28
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Long haired German Shepard mostly.
Oops. Hadn't seen this. I concur. Well, except for the spelling.

Here's a link to an article that has some pics of one (or several) with the darker markings.

http://www.total-german-shepherd.com...nShepherd.html

Is that sheep country? Having a big old out-bred (for strength) shepherd makes sense. It was either feral, a shepherd/wolf mix, or the dood just shot Sirr Muffin of Twelve Oaks, the neighbor's prize show dog.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 06:46 AM   #29
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Could it be Elvis?

(Sorry, I keep reading the threat title as "Unidentified candid shot...")
Old 27th May 2018, 07:54 AM   #30
Pope130
Illuminator

Depends on context. One, two, or three syllables.

Normally, two syllables: Kie-oat.

Properly, three syllables: Kie-oh-tee.

When talking to a varmint hunter, one syllable: 'yote.

When speaking to law enforcement about the folks who facilitate the transport of undocumented foreign born workers, three syllables: Coy-yoh-tae.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 10:39 AM   #31
shemp

It's obviously a chupacabra.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."

Last edited by shemp; 27th May 2018 at 10:41 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:39 AM   #32
mgidm86
Philosopher

"This looks like a dog/canine hybrid but we absolutely don't know what it is!"
Old 27th May 2018, 12:17 PM   #33
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure why this is under such speculation. It simply appears to be a large, dead, dog. The ears do not look unnaturally large. I've seen many German Shepherds with ears that large.
Old 27th May 2018, 12:51 PM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's an official cryptid, the story made it to Coast to Coast.

Experts Baffled by Strange Wolf-Life Creature Shot and Killed in Montana

Official Montana wildlife dept statement.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 04:35 PM   #35
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I keep wondering if they scanned it for a microchip.
Old 28th May 2018, 08:42 AM   #36
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I keep wondering if they scanned it for a microchip.

You really think Bigfoot would have had his dog registered?
Old 28th May 2018, 10:31 AM   #37
Nakani
Graduate Poster

This can't be any kind of cryptic, the picture isn't blurry.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 10:33 AM   #38
dmaker
Graduate Poster

nm...
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 10:36 AM   #39
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I'm not sure why this is under such speculation. It simply appears to be a large, dead, dog. The ears do not look unnaturally large. I've seen many German Shepherds with ears that large.
It does have a generally feral or wild appearance though.
Certainly possible it’s just a dog, but I’m still leaning coy-dog.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 01:36 PM   #40
shemp

It's the Loch Ness Monster!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal