IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 8th December 2017, 08:35 PM   #3201
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

One of the hazards of hiring your 29 yr old golf resort activities director or whatever Hope Hicks' previous job title was as "communications director" for a POTUS that can Tweet but doesn't email (from what I gather) is that she's likely to be putty in the hands of the very experienced FBI interviewers.

We don't know what she said in the 2 days of interviews, but apparently she was privy to a whole lot of the inner workings of the campaign.

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 10:58 PM   #3202
Childlike Empress
Banned

^ she'll bring it all down!!!!
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 04:41 AM   #3203
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
^ she'll bring it all down!!!!
The "little" people are often the ones who know more than anyone else as they will be the ones that have had to deal with everything and do the actual work.

Always a bad idea to get on the wrong side of such a person.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 11:31 AM   #3204
logger
Banned

Here’s a nice bombshell!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...rticle/2642930
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 11:41 AM   #3205
beren
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
No bombshell.
Nothingburger.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:42 AM   #3206
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Really? Trump supporters are so desperate that they consider that a "bombshell?" Steele kept working on the dossier after the contract ended and on trying to get the information somewhere it would make a difference, because he thought it was important that the Republican candidate was compromised by Russians. I would expect him to contact the Obama administration. If he hadn't, I'd wonder why.

I hate to admit how much I'm enjoying your squirming.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 11:46 AM   #3207
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The "little" people are often the ones who know more than anyone else as they will be the ones that have had to deal with everything and do the actual work.

Always a bad idea to get on the wrong side of such a person.
Unfortunately, one thing we know is that everyone willing to work for Trump is willing to lie for him.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 02:04 PM   #3208
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Really? Trump supporters are so desperate that they consider that a "bombshell?" Steele kept working on the dossier after the contract ended and on trying to get the information somewhere it would make a difference, because he thought it was important that the Republican candidate was compromised by Russians. I would expect him to contact the Obama administration. If he hadn't, I'd wonder why.

I hate to admit how much I'm enjoying your squirming.
You think my posting information that shows how corrupt our government agencies are is me squirming? Lol

You think highlighting how corrupt and desperate this investigation is and how much Hills and Obama were involved with it is me squirming? Lol
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 03:00 PM   #3209
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

You think my posting information that shows how corrupt our government agencies are is me squirming? Lol

You think highlighting how corrupt and desperate this investigation is and how much Hills and Obama were involved with it is me squirming? Lol
I dunno; post some information that shows how corrupt our government agencies are and we'll see. Your "bombshell" makes it look like you're grasping at straws.
Old 9th December 2017, 03:05 PM   #3210
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately, one thing we know is that everyone willing to work for Trump is willing to lie for him.
They might just be very very naive.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 03:14 PM   #3211
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I came across a useful term recently : the Keystone Domino Strategy of denial. In this case deniers are setting the Steele Dossier up as the Keystone Domino which, when it falls, will take all the others with it. They wish ...

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 03:18 PM   #3212
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
They might just be very very naive.
Maybe those who work at a distance, yes, but as communications directory, Hicks apparently didn't have any problem with projecting Trump's alternate reality.
Old 9th December 2017, 03:29 PM   #3213
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I came across a useful term recently : the Keystone Domino Strategy of denial. In this case deniers are setting the Steele Dossier up as the Keystone Domino which, when it falls, will take all the others with it. They wish ...
Rachel Maddow's special report on the dossier last night was excellent.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/w...h-892646467509

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th December 2017 at 03:30 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 03:34 PM   #3214
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Must-see TV.
Old 9th December 2017, 04:17 PM   #3215
logger
Banned

I dunno; post some information that shows how corrupt our government agencies are and we'll see. Your "bombshell" makes it look like you're grasping at straws.
Well, the partisan hacks doing this investigation, meanwhile letting hills and her cronies off the hook.... might be your first clue.
Old 9th December 2017, 04:19 PM   #3216
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

One of the hazards of hiring your 29 yr old golf resort activities director or whatever Hope Hicks' previous job title was as "communications director" for a POTUS that can Tweet but doesn't email (from what I gather) is that she's likely to be putty in the hands of the very experienced FBI interviewers.
She has family money and generations of political, business and social connections. She doesn't need to work for Trump. I suspect she is a True Believer who will cheerfully die before she gives him up.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.42a109bf9d71
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 04:37 PM   #3217
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Well, the partisan hacks doing this investigation, meanwhile letting hills and her cronies off the hook.... might be your first clue.
You don't quite comprehend this "evidence" thing, do you? It's a known fact that there was a strong anti-Hillary contingent in the FBI which leaked to Giuliani and to the True Pundit, which Giuliani said was ready to "revolt" and which apparently pressured Comey's announcement of the Weiner emails that turned out to be nothing. Apparently, despite this bias, they were unable to find evidence that would support a criminal prosecution. Same thing is true for the Mueller investigation, because despite what the *********** Moron-in-Chief tells you, we still have a functioning legal system.
Old 9th December 2017, 04:50 PM   #3218
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She has family money and generations of political, business and social connections. She doesn't need to work for Trump. I suspect she is a True Believer who will cheerfully die before she gives him up.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.42a109bf9d71
Not buying it. She comes from money ergo that's how she got the job. Doesn't make her smart or experienced. She can be as loyal as a puppy, but that won't help when experienced interviewers trip her up as they surely will.
Old 9th December 2017, 05:00 PM   #3219
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe those who work at a distance, yes, but as communications directory, Hicks apparently didn't have any problem with projecting Trump's alternate reality.
I'm just not going to dismiss the possibility she believes what he says. Wishful thinking I suppose, since if she is that dumb she's a clear and present danger to Trump.

A problem with trust-fund kiddies such as Hicks, Fredo and Jared Kushner is that they have little or no track record to judge them by. Organising events for other gilded ones or working for Daddy really doesn't reveal much.

Old 9th December 2017, 05:03 PM   #3220
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Not buying it. She comes from money ergo that's how she got the job. Doesn't make her smart or experienced. She can be as loyal as a puppy, but that won't help when experienced interviewers trip her up as they surely will.
Quite. She's unlikely to understand the significance of everything she's heard and seen.

Old 9th December 2017, 05:57 PM   #3221
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Same thing is true for the Mueller investigation, because despite what the *********** Moron-in-Chief tells you, we still have a functioning legal system.

I do wonder on what evidence these right-wing individuals are basing their claims of anti-Trump bias in the Mueller investigation. It seems like "because they're finding dirt on people involved with Trump," or even "because there's an investigation at all" are the only things they're basing the judgement on.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 9th December 2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 06:45 PM   #3222
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
I do wonder on what evidence these right-wing individuals are basing their claims of anti-Trump bias in the Mueller investigation. It seems like "because they're finding dirt on people involved with Trump," or even "because there's an investigation at all" are the only things their basing the judgement on.
I wonder if anyone in the FBI had a bias against Al Capone.
Old 9th December 2017, 07:16 PM   #3223
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Elliot Ness probably didn't like Al Capone, therefore Al's case should have been dismissed.....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 07:34 PM   #3224
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Imagine a world where simply finding evidence that links a person to a crime means you have such a bias against that person that your efforts are highly suspect and, therefore, should be thrown out.

How could anyone ever be convicted of a crime they actually committed?
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 09:17 PM   #3225
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Must-see TV.

Thirded. When she works from a full script or when she’s interviewed there’s none better.

OTOH, her pedantry and repetition can be maddening. I want context but at times it seems she can’t say someone took a dump without first delivering a ten page dissertation on the history of ****. IMO that’s driven in part by the need to fill the hour time slot.

Last edited by ferd burfle; 9th December 2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Typo
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 04:42 AM   #3226
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Ken Starr had a bias against Bill Clinton?

Back when the GOP was facilitating and encouraging the ever-widening scope of a special prosecutor's investigation, active minds noted that this could one day prove to be a rod for their own backs. Ditto when they made filibusters an automatic response, not exceptional. Ditto making government shutdown a legitimate political tactic.

Short term expedients for short-term partisans ends, ultimately wrecknig the whole system of government. Which, for the GOP, counts as a success.

Old 10th December 2017, 04:58 AM   #3227
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I wonder if Ken Starr had a bias against Bill Clinton?

You are forgetting the key difference.

When Republicans do it, that means it's okay.

Quote:
Back when the GOP was facilitating and encouraging the ever-widening scope of a special prosecutor's investigation, active minds noted that this could one day prove to be a rod for their own backs. Ditto when they made filibusters an automatic response, not exceptional. Ditto making government shutdown a legitimate political tactic.

See above.

Quote:

Short term expedients for short-term partisans ends, ultimately wrecknig the whole system of government. Which, for the GOP, counts as a success.

See above.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 05:35 AM   #3228
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to be a
public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while in
possession of a ruler, a protractor, a setsquare, a slide rule, and a
calculator.

At a morning press conference, Attorney general Jefferson Sessions said he
believes the man is a member of the notorious Al-Gebra movement. He is
being charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.

"Al-Gebra is a fearsome cult,", Sessions said. "They desire average
solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a
search of absolute value. They use secret code names like "x" and "y"
and refer to themselves as "unknowns", but we have determined they belong
to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every
country.

"As the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, there are 3
sides to every triangle," Sessions declared.

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Trump said, "If God had
wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us
more fingers and toes. "I am gratified that our government has given us a
sine that it is intent on protracting us from these math-dogs who are
willing to disintegrate us with calculus disregard. Murky statisticians love to
inflict plane on every sphere of influence," the President said, adding: "Under
the circumferences, we must differentiate their root, make our point, and
draw the line."

President Trump warned, "These weapons of math instruction have the
potential to decimal everything in their math on a scalene never before seen
unless we become exponents of a Higher Power and begin to factor-in random facts
of vertex."

Attorney General Sessions said, "As our Great Leader would say, read my
ellipse. Here is one principle he is uncertainty of: though they continue to
multiply, their days are numbered as the hypotenuse tightens around
their necks."

~ Danzig

Last edited by Vixen; 10th December 2017 at 05:36 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 08:36 AM   #3229
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Yup.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 08:55 AM   #3230
logger
Banned

Another doozy.
More of my squirming.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...ligence-sting/
Old 10th December 2017, 08:56 AM   #3231
Childlike Empress
Banned

About the fake news WikiLeaks eMail claims, Greenwald:

The U.S. Media Yesterday Suffered its Most Humiliating Debacle in Ages: Now Refuses All Transparency Over What Happened

Originally Posted by GG
FRIDAY WAS ONE of the most embarrassing days for the U.S. media in quite a long time. The humiliation orgy was kicked off by CNN, with MSNBC and CBS close behind, with countless pundits, commentators and operatives joining the party throughout the day. By the end of the day, it was clear that several of the nation’s largest and most influential news outlets had spread an explosive but completely false news story to millions of people, while refusing to provide any explanation of how it happened. [...]

Unlike for the NBC(?) clown recently, there will be no consequences as "multiple sources" provided them with the false information. Think of that next time you'll read "three sources familiar with the topic said..." in your propaganda outlets.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 09:02 AM   #3232
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The U.S. Media Yesterday Suffered its Most Humiliating Debacle in Ages: Now Refuses All Transparency Over What Happened

Unlike for the NBC(?) clown recently, there will be no consequences as "multiple sources" provided them with the false information. Think of that next time you'll read "three sources familiar with the topic said..." in your propaganda outlets.
If your point here is that all news sources should be approached with scepticism then, well, I'm not sure you'll find too many who disagree on a sceptics' website.
Old 10th December 2017, 09:05 AM   #3233
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
If your point here is that all news sources should be approached with scepticism then, well, I'm not sure you'll find too many who disagree on a sceptics' website.
Was Glenn Greenwald in a coma through the run up to the Iraq War? I mean that's hard to top for journalistic failures.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 09:06 AM   #3234
Childlike Empress
Banned

Another doozy.
More of my squirming.

Interesting...
Old 10th December 2017, 09:11 AM   #3235
The_Animus
Illuminator

The justice department was informed about a candidate running for president having been potentially compromised by a hostile foreign government.

And you think that is "bombshell" evidence of some conspiracy?
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 09:30 AM   #3236
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Another doozy.
More of my squirming.

Lol

If you think the Post getting a date wrong will bring the Mueller investigation to a halt, then no, you're no longer squirming; you're on life support.
Old 10th December 2017, 09:56 AM   #3237
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

What I think of every time I read anything from your propaganda outlets is Putin and his gang sucking the life-blood out of Russia, but I'm genuinely amused if Trump's gang thinks they've got a Get Out of Jail Free card here.
Old 10th December 2017, 10:52 AM   #3238
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
The justice department was informed about a candidate running for president having been potentially compromised by a hostile foreign government.

And you think that is "bombshell" evidence of some conspiracy?
Lol
Your skepticism is typical here.
Old 10th December 2017, 10:54 AM   #3239
logger
Banned

Lol

If you think the Post getting a date wrong will bring the Mueller investigation to a halt, then no, you're no longer squirming; you're on life support.
Way to once again completely miss what is happening here.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:05 AM   #3240
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Imagine a world where simply finding evidence that links a person to a crime means you have such a bias against that person that your efforts are highly suspect and, therefore, should be thrown out.

How could anyone ever be convicted of a crime they actually committed?
Ah, suddenly Benghazi makes sense. They kept not finding any dirt, so that means they weren't biased. No?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics