IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 15th December 2017, 03:07 PM   #3441
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's worth remembering that Trump originally claimed he fired Comey because he felt Comey was unfair to Hillary in how he investigated the email scandal.
Yeah, anytime Trump says anything, it's worth remembering that Trump just says stuff, and that he appears to be quite capable of lying to himself, too.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 03:26 PM   #3442
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's worth remembering that Trump originally claimed he fired Comey because he felt Comey was unfair to Hillary in how he investigated the email scandal.
The way Trump remembers that now is he fired Comey for not prosecuting Clinton.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 03:38 PM   #3443
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Oh, jeez... After saying that the FBI is in "taters" and the "worst in history" and that he was gonna need to "rebuild" it to save the country from the outrageous scandal of having agents that don't like Trump, Trump goes to the FBI agent graduates and tells them he's "got your back 100%." Provided, of course, that you like Trump and don't donate to Democrats. Otherwise, you can't be trusted, and according to the "legal expert" Trump listens to on Fox, you should not only be fired; you should be marched out in handcuffs.

Please make it stop...
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 04:22 PM   #3444
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

NEW: DOJ Inspector General says in letter to House Judiciary that “the department did not consult with OIG before sharing the text messages with the press.” Full story TK
In other words, this was an illegal leak.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 04:50 PM   #3445
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Rosenstein had a very hard time answering this question in the House Judiciary Committee hearing two days ago. He hemmed and hawed and never answered who was responsible for the press release of the emails.

It's very interesting that all the 'leaks' from the FBI have been either damaging to Clinton or positive for the Trump agenda, while the very tight ship with no leaks has occurred with anything negative about Trump.

One might just question whether there was anything different about the Clinton haters within the FBI who leaked politically damaging things like sieves compared to the Trump haters within the FBI who merely complain privately about Trump and don't actually leak confidential information.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th December 2017 at 04:53 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 06:24 PM   #3446
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Are we yet at the point where the FBI paid for The Steele Dossier (a Robert Ludlum novel, soon to be a major film or mini-series)?

I'm waiting eagerly for The Flynn Squeal, which has franchise written all over it.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 06:28 PM   #3447
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Essentially I couldn't care less. Again, this isn't about the Mueller investigation's "bias" (that's what the Washington Pest pre$$titutes want you to believe - real journalism LOL), it is about how it came into being in the first place.

And I must ask that you folks stop bothering me with this strawman nonsense. I know you aren't that dumb. Talk to the mirror, that's where the denial is addressed at in the first place. Good luck overcoming your pride.
If you can ever figure out just what it is that you are bitching about, then please let the rest of know.
Old 15th December 2017, 06:39 PM   #3448
BobTheCoward
Banned

I'll quote the last paragraph from the article on Pat Lang's blog (read the "about" page, these are very serious people) I've linked to yesterday:

Let's assume the premises are correct. I don't think anybody of the regular Russia CT posters here agrees with that paragraph. You all think the ends justify the means, in this case, and wish they had been successful. Hence the refusal to even acknowledge the topic. N'est-ce pas?
I think the refusal to acknowledge it is because the premises are false.

I personally just think they are unproven like everything else here.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 15th December 2017 at 06:42 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 06:40 PM   #3449
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Oh, jeez... After saying that the FBI is in "taters" and the "worst in history" and that he was gonna need to "rebuild" it to save the country from the outrageous scandal of having agents that don't like Trump, Trump goes to the FBI agent graduates and tells them he's "got your back 100%." Provided, of course, that you like Trump and don't donate to Democrats. Otherwise, you can't be trusted, and according to the "legal expert" Trump listens to on Fox, you should not only be fired; you should be marched out in handcuffs.
I doubt FBI agent graduates missed Trump trash-talking the FBI to ingratiate himself with some Russians - in the Oval Office. If they did miss it then something is going wrong.

Trump's trash-talking of the US and its venerable institutions has been a peculiar feature of his Presidency. All aimed at Obama, of course, but doing considerable collateral damage.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 06:59 PM   #3450
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I think the refusal to acknowledge it is because the premises are false.
Quite. I don't think Childlike Empress appreciates how much of that sad piece is premise rather than reasoned conclusion. What purports to be reasoning is, in fact, prefectly circular.

Quote:
I personally just think they are unproven like everything else here.
Nothing's proven, but some things are plausible and others aren't.

This :

Quote:
"... during the final year of Barack Obama's Presidency, key leaders of the intelligence and law enforcement bureaucracies conspired and collaborated to destroy Donald Trump. "
is not remotely plausible.

Old 15th December 2017, 07:04 PM   #3451
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Quite. I don't think Childlike Empress appreciates how much of that sad piece is premise rather than reasoned conclusion. What purports to be reasoning is, in fact, prefectly circular.

Nothing's proven, but some things are plausible and others aren't.

This :

is not remotely plausible.
It is remotely possible.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 07:23 PM   #3452
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

It is remotely possible.
So is solipsism and the non-existence of an objective reality, but you won't get an interesting conversation outside the bounds of plausibility.

To my mind there's an actual paradox between the contention that FBI bias can sustain the Mueller enquiry while a grand coalition of state agencies and the sitting President was unable to prevent Trump's election. Which is what "Sic Semper Tyrannis"', and by cite and extension Childlike Empress, contend.

Old 16th December 2017, 02:47 AM   #3453
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I'll quote the last paragraph from the article on Pat Lang's blog (read the "about" page, these are very serious people) I've linked to yesterday:

Let's assume the premises are correct. I don't think anybody of the regular Russia CT posters here agrees with that paragraph. You all think the ends justify the means, in this case, and wish they had been successful. Hence the refusal to even acknowledge the topic. N'est-ce pas?
I'm a little unsure of what you're trying to say.

But, yes, let's assume that the premises (and even conclusions) of that article are correct, and that there are no huge leaps of logic or conclusions which don't follow from their premises or arguments - let's say for the sake of argument that there was absolutely no collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign. All that means is that the investigation into that subject will exculpate everybody involved, right? So we should leave the investigation be to come to its conclusions.
Old 16th December 2017, 03:08 AM   #3454
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

It is remotely possible.
Read my sig.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2017, 07:00 AM   #3455
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
So is solipsism and the non-existence of an objective reality, but you won't get an interesting conversation outside the bounds of plausibility.
Those are the most interesting conversations.
Old 16th December 2017, 07:41 AM   #3456
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Those are the most interesting conversations.
But *please* not in this thread.

Religion and Philosophy maybe.

Maybe a new thread entitled "Implausible but interesting hypotheses about Trump and Russia"?

You do bring good stuff to threads every so often, but also you derail stuff

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2017, 10:09 AM   #3457
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...-gop-campaigns

Quote:
Buried in the campaign finance reports available to the public are some troubling connections between a group of wealthy donors with ties to Russia and their political contributions to President Donald Trump and a number of top Republican leaders. And thanks to changes in campaign finance laws, the political contributions are legal. We have allowed our campaign finance laws to become a strategic threat to our country.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2017, 02:06 PM   #3458
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'm a little unsure of what you're trying to say.

But, yes, let's assume that the premises (and even conclusions) of that article are correct, and that there are no huge leaps of logic or conclusions which don't follow from their premises or arguments - let's say for the sake of argument that there was absolutely no collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign. All that means is that the investigation into that subject will exculpate everybody involved, right? So we should leave the investigation be to come to its conclusions.

Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2017, 02:08 PM   #3459
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Trump should fire Mueller as quickly as possible. There is no crime to investigate, so there is no need for an investigator. Oh, and he should fire Rosenstein for initiating the witch hunt based only on a fake news barrage from the WaPo propaganda rag.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2017, 02:22 PM   #3460
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol
Libs can never be trusted to do this. Their ideology is a higher calling. The actions of leftist are all over the news.
Saying something is all over the news is not reliable evidence, if one's premise is that all news except Fox is fake.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2017, 02:33 PM   #3461
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I wish for your sake I could fire that right back at you, but I know that you actually are.
Old 16th December 2017, 02:35 PM   #3462
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Trump should fire Mueller as quickly as possible. There is no crime to investigate, so there is no need for an investigator.
Yup, that's how it works. You first determine whether or not there's been a crime, then if there has you start an investigation into whether or not there's been a crime. Flawless.
Old 16th December 2017, 03:28 PM   #3463
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
But *please* not in this thread.

Religion and Philosophy maybe.

Maybe a new thread entitled "Implausible but interesting hypotheses about Trump and Russia"?

You do bring good stuff to threads every so often, but also you derail stuff
about 1 out of 99 comments are ok, the rest are horrible, definitely make the forum a worse place
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2017, 06:02 PM   #3464
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Essentially I couldn't care less. Again, this isn't about the Mueller investigation's "bias" (that's what the Washington Pest pre$$titutes want you to believe - real journalism LOL), it is about how it came into being in the first place.

And I must ask that you folks stop bothering me with this strawman nonsense. I know you aren't that dumb. Talk to the mirror, that's where the denial is addressed at in the first place. Good luck overcoming your pride.
Can you define what "real Journalism" is for the class ?
Old 16th December 2017, 10:00 PM   #3465
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Can you define what "real Journalism" is for the class ?
Putin funded.
Old 16th December 2017, 10:04 PM   #3466
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Putin funded.
And it's another nomination for pith.

I think it's my third nom this month. I won't know who to vote for.
Old 16th December 2017, 10:26 PM   #3467
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump should fire Mueller as quickly as possible. There is no crime to investigate, so there is no need for an investigator. Oh, and he should fire Rosenstein for initiating the witch hunt based only on a fake news barrage from the WaPo propaganda rag.
By that logic, since everyone in the USA is considered innocent until proven guilty, we should abolish the entire legal system.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 12:37 AM   #3468
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

CDC is military, right? Email them and ask them to protect national security. https://wwwn.cdc.gov/dcs/ContactUs/Form
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 04:43 AM   #3469
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Have you guys and Gals seen this yet?
http://Check out this post in the Tr...b-e48ee28a1a17

Wonder if more dirt is going to come out on other Republicans?

Last edited by Crazy Chainsaw; 17th December 2017 at 04:45 AM.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 05:23 AM   #3470
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
CDC is military, right? Email them and ask them to protect national security. https://wwwn.cdc.gov/dcs/ContactUs/Form
It is an executive branch agency under HHS.

Executive power is vested in the president of the United States. No one at the CDC has independent power to determine what is national security separate from the president.
Old 17th December 2017, 06:26 AM   #3471
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Have you guys and Gals seen this yet?
Check out this post in the Trump family vibe:
Mueller obtains thousands of Trump transition emails

Wonder if more dirt is going to come out on other Republicans?

Fixed your link. Here's the ultimate destination, though: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/speci...081209044.html
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 06:33 AM   #3472
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

And, yes, that story is under discussion in the Mueller thread.
Old 17th December 2017, 06:34 AM   #3473
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Fixed your link. Here's the ultimate destination, though: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/speci...081209044.html

Thank you what I am wondering is if the Republicans trying to Stop the Mueller Investigation know he has dirt on them as well.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 07:22 AM   #3474
DJW
Muse

Ty Cobb said on the record that "Mueller will not be fired".
DJW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 07:27 AM   #3475
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

There was no crime but there have been 2 convictions? Could you explain this to me?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 07:32 AM   #3476
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Thank you what I am wondering is if the Republicans trying to Stop the Mueller Investigation know he has dirt on them as well.
No way to tell without actual inside knowledge. After all, the normal behavior of the GOP leadership in this country has changed to something so absurdly partisan and independent from facts that innocent and guilty are pretty much indistinguishable.

Last edited by Aridas; 17th December 2017 at 07:34 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 07:46 AM   #3477
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."
Old 17th December 2017, 07:57 AM   #3478
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
There was no crime but there have been 2 convictions? Could you explain this to me?
Mental gymnastics, uneven bars.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 08:03 AM   #3479
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

You're not fooling me, Cain; it's against the forum rules to have two logins.
Old 17th December 2017, 08:26 AM   #3480
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
FBI bias.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics