IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd April 2018, 07:25 AM   #1
Jodie
Philosopher

Earrings

Here is another one of my "Jodie Stories" for your review:

This past Friday I went to a local Italian place for lunch with five other coworkers. Our waitress was a pleasant young lady who had a Daith piercing for migraines. One of my coworkers that suffers from migraines asked the waitress how well the piercing worked since she suffers from migraines. The waitress said that she had constant migraines prior to getting her Daith piercing and that the piercing helped reduce those migraines to 2-3 per week ( I can't imagine how awful that must be since I have a couple of migraine headaches per year).

Anyway, the waitress left and we were discussing where to go to get a Daith piercing, then the conversation drifted off to other topics. We were there for a couple of hours, the lunch crowd had dwindled down, and we had the room to ourselves. As we were talking and gossiping we heard something fall, hit the tile floor behind Becky, who was sitting directly across from me. We looked to see if something fell out of her purse but didn't find anything. Ten minutes later, a cheap earring falls onto Becky's arm. We looked up at the ceiling, it was smooth, there was no where it could have dropped from, there was no one else in the banquet room with us. Annie Ruth decides to look on the floor again to see if she can locate what fell on the floor 10 minutes earlier and she finds another ear ring, not matching. We left them on the table and paid our bills, and left with the mystery unsolved.

Where do you think the earrings came from? Any logical explanations for this odd occurrence?
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; 22nd April 2018 at 07:32 AM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 07:46 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

They were being tossed at you by the staff as a reminder to leave.
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

They were caught on the chair or tablecloth fabric and dropped with coincidental timing?
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Becky was too embarrassed to admit she hadn't washed her hair where she stores her cheap earrings?
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Darth Piercing was the secondary villain in the first draft of the second prequel movie. Would have been better if they'd kept her.
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:24 AM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

With Jodie Stories one of the options always is: It didn't happen.
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:37 AM   #7
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post

This past Friday I went to a local Italian place for lunch with five other coworkers. Our waitress was a pleasant young lady who had a Daith piercing for migraines. One of my coworkers that suffers from migraines asked the waitress how well the piercing worked since she suffers from migraines. The waitress said that she had constant migraines prior to getting her Daith piercing and that the piercing helped reduce those migraines to 2-3 per week ( I can't imagine how awful that must be since I have a couple of migraine headaches per year).

Anyway, the waitress left and we were discussing where to go to get a Daith piercing, then the conversation drifted off to other topics. We were there for a couple of hours, the lunch crowd had dwindled down, and we had the room to ourselves. As we were talking and gossiping we heard something fall, hit the tile floor behind Becky, who was sitting directly across from me. We looked to see if something fell out of her purse but didn't find anything. Ten minutes later, a cheap earring falls onto Becky's arm. We looked up at the ceiling, it was smooth, there was no where it could have dropped from, there was no one else in the banquet room with us. Annie Ruth decides to look on the floor again to see if she can locate what fell on the floor 10 minutes earlier and she finds another ear ring, not matching. We left them on the table and paid our bills, and left with the mystery unsolved.

Where do you think the earrings came from? Any logical explanations for this odd occurrence?
I'd just like to point out that "logical explanation" is not necessarily the same thing as "an explanation you will accept"; and, maybe more to the point, vice versa- that one you would accept is not the same as an actually logical explanation. IOW, you're playing the woo game of demanding a metric for explanations you'd rather not hear that you'll then discard when you need to apply it to the one you'd prefer. My opinion is that Thermal's first explanation seems likely; but even if that's not acceptable- so what? It's such a painfully trivial event that you have to wonder why it's even a question that needs more of an answer than "it's a big world, and **** happens."

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:52 AM   #8
sadhatter
Philosopher

I'm sitting in a restaurant, I've had to listen to two women I find annoying go on about migraine earrings for quite some time. Now I'm not a psycho but I do feel the need to do something annoying. I borrow a cheap earing and toss it at you when not looking and again as I know you are the type to be spooked out by it. For a small price I know I've amped you up.

Now to be clear, you have every right to talk about anything you want. And further no one should have **** thrown at them in a restaurant. If I saw this guy I'd call him out, and id never do this. That being said I can say probably 6 out of ten of my friends would.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:18 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd bet most restaurants have a drawer full of lost earrings. They chucked a couple at you so you'd leave.
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:32 AM   #10
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Well, since there has never been any evidence for the supernatural, ever, I'm guessing this isn't suddenly the event that proves it exists.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:39 AM   #11
Lothian
should be banned

Where do you think the earrings came from?
China.

Quote:
Any logical explanations for this odd occurrence?
Low labour rates, cheap transport and low tariffs.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:53 AM   #12
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

One of the mulitiple billions of things that could've happened, happened.

Or.

Bigfoot tossed it.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:59 AM   #13
Whip
Graduate Poster

were they golden earrings?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:12 AM   #14
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd bet most restaurants have a drawer full of lost earrings. They chucked a couple at you so you'd leave.
The gossiping group was there for hours, long after everyone else cleared out? Yeah, I'm going with this explanation.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:14 AM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Confabulation seems like the obvious obvious one.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:52 AM   #16
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
They were caught on the chair or tablecloth fabric and dropped with coincidental timing?
This for the first earring, not sure how to explain the second one that I saw drop down onto her arm.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:53 AM   #17
Jodie
Philosopher

The gossiping group was there for hours, long after everyone else cleared out? Yeah, I'm going with this explanation.
We were only there for 2 1/2 hours. It's a long lunch but not that long...
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:55 AM   #18
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
One of the mulitiple billions of things that could've happened, happened.

Or.

Bigfoot tossed it.
I think we can definitely rule out bigfoot.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:56 AM   #19
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
Well, since there has never been any evidence for the supernatural, ever, I'm guessing this isn't suddenly the event that proves it exists.
No, I wouldn't say that, but it's weird.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:56 AM   #20
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

This for the first earring, not sure how to explain the second one that I saw drop down onto her arm.
How high-backed were the chairs? Did she say that it stung a little when it hit, like it had traveled a distance through the air, or softly like it rolled from the chair back down her arm?
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:57 AM   #21
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Not likely, we were an automatic 18% gratuity because we were a group.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:59 AM   #22
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

We were only there for 2 1/2 hours. It's a long lunch but not that long...
If everyone else had cleared out, is it implausible that staff was impatient to prep the room for dinner and actually wanted you to skedaddle?
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:59 AM   #23
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I'm sitting in a restaurant, I've had to listen to two women I find annoying go on about migraine earrings for quite some time. Now I'm not a psycho but I do feel the need to do something annoying. I borrow a cheap earing and toss it at you when not looking and again as I know you are the type to be spooked out by it. For a small price I know I've amped you up.

Now to be clear, you have every right to talk about anything you want. And further no one should have **** thrown at them in a restaurant. If I saw this guy I'd call him out, and id never do this. That being said I can say probably 6 out of ten of my friends would.
There was no one but our group in the main dining room when it happened. I didn't see the first ear ring fall, but the second earring fell straight down in front of me, the trajectory would have been wrong for a toss.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:59 AM   #24
baron

If you're black, racist staff members were chucking objects at you to get you to leave. Otherwise, ghosts.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:02 AM   #25
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
were they golden earrings?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I wish, a few were afraid to touch them but I picked them up to see if they had a gold stamp or sterling silver stamp on them.
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:03 AM   #26
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Becky and/or Annie Ruth know that they can get a rise out of their credulous co-worker and feel a couple of old orphaned ear rings are a price worth paying for the yuks.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 22nd April 2018 at 11:04 AM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:05 AM   #27
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
I'd just like to point out that "logical explanation" is not necessarily the same thing as "an explanation you will accept"; and, maybe more to the point, vice versa- that one you would accept is not the same as an actually logical explanation. IOW, you're playing the woo game of demanding a metric for explanations you'd rather not hear that you'll then discard when you need to apply it to the one you'd prefer. My opinion is that Thermal's first explanation seems likely; but even if that's not acceptable- so what? It's such a painfully trivial event that you have to wonder why it's even a question that needs more of an answer than "it's a big world, and **** happens."
Not exactly, I think it was an odd thing to happen, we spent time trying to figure out how it happened and ruled out falling out of the ceiling since it was a smooth plaster ceiling, someone throwing them at us, then a couple of us got spooked, so we left.
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:06 AM   #28
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Not likely, we were an automatic 18% gratuity because we were a group.
Well, if you were a group of five for lunch, say you each ate and drank $40 a head, that's a $200 tab. Even 20% is a $40 tip, split between servers, bus, and kitchen staff (assuming they are cool and split up the kitty). If you were disrupting dinner preparations and it seemed like you were not leaving, that split $40 is less influential than it might seem

Eta: forgot, staff needs time between lunch and dinner to put fresh tablecloths down and vacuum. Odds are really good they wanted you out in a big way

Last edited by Thermal; 22nd April 2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 22nd April 2018, 02:58 PM   #29
mgidm86
Philosopher

Throwing earrings to get customers to leave would be very odd, especially if nobody had first tried asking them to leave soon so they could setup dinner. It's possible though, but it depends on how far away the table was from the staff at the time. If it seemed to drop vertically then it was not the staff (or it didn't drop vertically).

Simple explanation:

I'd say it was someone else in the group playing around.

Look, the group is discussing earrings and woo and earrings appear. Coincidence? Probably not. The fact that anyone would believe in any way that earrings can help migraines is a sign of woo, and someone at the table probably knows it.

Therefore, someone(s) in the group gathered a few cheap earrings from purses and threw one and it hit the floor. Bad shot. Maybe it was even tossed to the person not as a joke but some other reason.

Maybe it took 10 minutes to find because it slid far from the table due to it being thrown laterally rather than falling vertically. Perhaps it rolled.

So the first earring misses and a second is tossed, this time maybe (maybe not) tossed up toward the ceiling. It's a group of five people so one could pull this off unnoticed.

The earring(s) could have been flipped like a coin which would require no arm movement and send them straight up.

The earring lands, mystery is afoot, then after ten minutes of looking, the other earring is found, possibly by the person who threw it.

The earrings don't match, and since ghosts don't wear mismatched earrings, it would lead me to believe that two women were involved, though possibly only one.

Last edited by mgidm86; 22nd April 2018 at 03:00 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 03:07 PM   #30
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

You didn't see where the ring came from. Your first perception of it was during its fall - you have no idea where it was or what it was doing before you saw it. It might have come from the ceiling, it might have come from much lower - you don't know. It might have been travelling in a parabolic trajectory before you spotted it, and you saw it only at the end of its trajectory when it was going more or less vertically. If it had been going in an arc towards you, you would not have seen any angle in its flight - from your perspective it would have looked like it was moving vertically.

I could go on with all the things you don't know about this event which could hide an explanation, but I have to go to work.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 04:16 PM   #31
This is The End

I wish, a few were afraid to touch them but I picked them up to see if they had a gold stamp or sterling silver stamp on them.

Well, considering the weight of the average earring, checking them for gold would be somewhat wise. It could be about $10 to $40 worth of gold.

Checking for silver, not so much. Silver is pretty cheap. It would be about 10 cents of silver.
Old 22nd April 2018, 05:18 PM   #32
Jodie
Philosopher

How high-backed were the chairs? Did she say that it stung a little when it hit, like it had traveled a distance through the air, or softly like it rolled from the chair back down her arm?
The backs of the chairs came up to our shoulder blades, they were wooden backs with vinyl covered seats. No it didn't sting her, I saw the second earring drop straight down onto her left arm, it didn't roll.
Old 22nd April 2018, 05:20 PM   #33
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Well, considering the weight of the average earring, checking them for gold would be somewhat wise. It could be about $10 to $40 worth of gold.

Checking for silver, not so much. Silver is pretty cheap. It would be about 10 cents of silver.
I like sterling silver, they don't irritate my ears. They were just cheap earrings, something you could make from supplies at Hobby Lobby.
Old 22nd April 2018, 05:23 PM   #34
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You didn't see where the ring came from. Your first perception of it was during its fall - you have no idea where it was or what it was doing before you saw it. It might have come from the ceiling, it might have come from much lower - you don't know. It might have been travelling in a parabolic trajectory before you spotted it, and you saw it only at the end of its trajectory when it was going more or less vertically. If it had been going in an arc towards you, you would not have seen any angle in its flight - from your perspective it would have looked like it was moving vertically.

I could go on with all the things you don't know about this event which could hide an explanation, but I have to go to work.

The ceiling was smooth plaster, there would be nothing to hold it in place. I didn't see the first earring fall, it was behind Becky. I simply heard something hit the tile. The second earring fell straight down onto her left sleeve right where the arm bends, she had them crossed and resting on the table. At first I thought it was a bug.
Old 22nd April 2018, 06:14 PM   #35
Venom
Philosopher

Aren't you trained in biology or anthropology or something? I hope you didn't think this was weird in that kinda way
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 06:25 PM   #36
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

A 17th-dimensional person left them, clearly.
Old 22nd April 2018, 06:53 PM   #37
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
A 17th-dimensional person left them, clearly.
Tossing used, cheap, orphaned earrings at diners? Those 17th dim dwellers have no sense of style. A gift card to a respectable jeweler would have shown a little class.
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:49 PM   #38
GT/CS
Illuminator

This story sounds suspiciously similar to the Good-n-Plenty campfire tale.
Old 23rd April 2018, 04:02 AM   #39
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

So, you don't know that the first thing you heard fall behind Becky was an earring.
You found nothing on the floor when you first looked, despite thinking it might have been something from Becky's purse, which should have resulted in a good search.

In your story, you just assume the noise was from the earring you later found on the floor.

So, you really only have one "mystery", and that is the earring you saw fall on Becky's arm. For all we know, it fell out of Becky's ear.

You have no idea how long the earring on the floor had been there, and you have no idea what made the first noise you heard.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 05:15 AM   #40
Elaedith
Master Poster

The ceiling was smooth plaster, there would be nothing to hold it in place. I didn't see the first earring fall, it was behind Becky. I simply heard something hit the tile. The second earring fell straight down onto her left sleeve right where the arm bends, she had them crossed and resting on the table. At first I thought it was a bug.

Perhaps somebody put something sticky on it and threw it at the ceiling as a joke. Whatever was used eventually dried up and it fell down.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal