ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th August 2018, 12:36 AM   #41
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Not quite unique but close.
Howe far from unique it can be still considered to be close?

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
No, the people who ban speakers from coming into their country because of those speakers' rampant racism and misogyny.
Orwell and many dictatorships and any other thought-controllers love that...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:44 AM   #42
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
...I'm sure it's still in wide use, I just don't work in a place frequented by counterculture yutes anymore.
Careful! Orphia might think your talkin' about a car! "G'wan' then! Go root in yer ute, ya' lousy Aussie bogan*! Oi!"

*One word about the proper pronunciation, if I may? Is it yutes (as isissxn has so graciously outlined above) and Joe Pesci will now demonstrate:

https://youtu.be/K6qGwmXZtsE?t=110

Or is it "ute" with no why?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:48 AM   #43
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's spelled "ute" and pronounced "yoot". I'm not sure what isissxn is referring to when she says "yutes".
Old 16th August 2018, 12:58 AM   #44
Elagabalus
Illuminator

It's spelled "ute" and pronounced "yoot". I'm not sure what isissxn is referring to when she says "yutes".
Watch the clip! Please!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 01:07 AM   #45
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Watch the clip! Please!
No.
Old 16th August 2018, 01:07 AM   #46
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Orwell and many dictatorships and any other thought-controllers love that...
You haven't read much of Eric Blair's writing, have you?
Old 16th August 2018, 05:57 AM   #47
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
You haven't read much of Eric Blair's writing, have you?
Path top hell is paved by good intentions. Though it is bit too generous to silencing others. Never heard about him before. Don't care about him now, but be careful what is done because actions like this tend to have unforeseen consequences.

Silencing others is approved tactics by communists BTW...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 06:01 AM   #48
kellyb
Philosopher

Path top hell is paved by good intentions. Though it is bit too generous to silencing others. Never heard about him before. Don't care about him now, but be careful what is done because actions like this tend to have unforeseen consequences.

Silencing others is approved tactics by communists BTW...
Ok. LOL

Well, you'd probably like him. He's the one who wrote this:

Quote:
I found myself defending the Daily Worker, which has gone out of its way to libel me more than once. But where had these people learned this essentially totalitarian outlook? Pretty certainly they had learned it from the Communists themselves! Tolerance and decency are deeply rooted in England, but they are not indestructible, and they have to be kept alive partly by conscious effort. The result of preaching totalitarian doctrines is to weaken the instinct by means of which free peoples know what is or is not dangerous.
Old 16th August 2018, 06:25 AM   #49
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I’m guessing “yout’”.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 07:07 AM   #50
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I was referring to a joke from the movie My Cousin Vinny. Joe Pesci calls two youths "yutes" in an Alabama court, and hilarity ensues. I guess I spelled it wrong because I've only ever heard it spoken aloud. "Yout" probably makes more sense.

Last edited by isissxn; 16th August 2018 at 07:12 AM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 07:08 AM   #51
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

That's Orwell's real name.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 07:36 AM   #52
Tony99
Muse

Not to be confused with Native American Utes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_people
Tony99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:09 PM   #53
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I was referring to a joke from the movie My Cousin Vinny. Joe Pesci calls two youths "yutes" in an Alabama court, and hilarity ensues. I guess I spelled it wrong because I've only ever heard it spoken aloud. "Yout" probably makes more sense.
I wonder if someone could post a link to that hilarity ...
Old 16th August 2018, 01:48 PM   #54
Pope130
Master Poster

For clarification, the Australian word "Ute", is a contraction for the word "Utility". (As an aside, most words in 'strine are contractions.) It's pronounced similarly to the American word "Yute".

A Utility is a small truck, similar to a pickup, except that it uses a sedan front end and cabin, and the cargo bed is (usually) integrated with cabin, rather than having a separate cab and cargo bed as most pickups do.

The attached photo is of my Ute, a Dodge Rampage. The snow covering would be unusual in Australia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Snow 014.jpg (71.3 KB, 3 views)
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 05:58 PM   #55
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I was referring to a joke from the movie My Cousin Vinny. Joe Pesci calls two youths "yutes" in an Alabama court, and hilarity ensues. I guess I spelled it wrong because I've only ever heard it
spoken aloud. "Yout" probably makes more sense.
Gotcha.

There are two types of people who drive utes: tradies and bogans. Tradie's utes are practical, are generally piled up in the back with tools and usually have a bar near the cab for lashing long things to and hanging occie straps and tiedowns from. Bogan utes usually have hard covers over the tray, turbocharged engines and chrome rims.
Old 16th August 2018, 06:14 PM   #56
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
For clarification, the Australian word "Ute", is a contraction for the word "Utility". (As an aside, most words in 'strine are contractions.) It's pronounced similarly to the American word "Yute".

A Utility is a small truck, similar to a pickup, except that it uses a sedan front end and cabin, and the cargo bed is (usually) integrated with cabin, rather than having a separate cab and cargo bed as most pickups do.

The attached photo is of my Ute, a Dodge Rampage. The snow covering would be unusual in Australia.
Cabin and cargo not separated? Is the cabin completely open to the elements from the rear?
I always thought that a Subaru Brumby (Brat to us USAians) was a ute, but there is a window separating the cabin and cargo bay.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 06:20 PM   #57
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Cabin and cargo not separated? Is the cabin completely open to the elements from the rear?
I always thought that a Subaru Brumby (Brat to us USAians) was a ute, but there is a window separating the cabin and cargo bay.
Sorry I didn't clarify. The cabin is closed off from the cargo bed, unlike a Blazer or Scout. The distinction is that the cargo bed body work is contiguous with the cabin body, rather than being separate components, as in a pickup.

Here's a '66 Wayfarer Ute for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay407742.jpg (87.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Pope130; 16th August 2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Add Wayfarer
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 06:24 PM   #58
wareyin
Philosopher

Sorry I didn't clarify. The cabin is closed off from the cargo bed, unlike a Blazer or Scout. The distinction is that the cargo bed body work is contiguous with the cabin body, rather than being separate components, as in a pickup.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 06:56 PM   #59
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
What prompted my post was observation of many people stating "no judging" or "judgement-free zone" in OPs announcing they were starting a diet or exercise plan on a US forum I've been posting in daily for a few years (My Fitness Pal community).
That's not a judgement thing, that's a kibitzing thing. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but Americans who are into fitness are quite often jerks who absolutely cannot let an opportunity pass by without inserting their opinion or advice on this subject matter they feel themselves to be experts in. A more accurate phrase would be "please take your suggestions about my exercise routine or your thoughts regarding my chosen diet and shove them right up your ass, thank you very much," but "no judging" is nicer and more concise.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 07:10 PM   #60
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
That's not a judgement thing, that's a kibitzing thing. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but Americans who are into fitness are quite often jerks who absolutely cannot let an opportunity pass by without inserting their opinion or advice on this subject matter they feel themselves to be experts in. A more accurate phrase would be "please take your suggestions about my exercise routine or your thoughts regarding my chosen diet and shove them right up your ass, thank you very much," but "no judging" is nicer and more concise.
And that opinion is usually prefaced by "OK, not judging, BUT..."

Right up, indeed.
Old 16th August 2018, 07:39 PM   #61
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Thank you, Pope130!! Now I don't have to commit the unpardonable sin of explaining a joke.*

*Back a few posts when I was thinking of committing that most egregious of sins I thought about explaining that a ute was the unholy offspring of an El Camino and a Subaru Brat.

But I think the starkness of your Dodge Rampage photo really succeeds in emphasizing the point ...

like a bludgeon.
Old 16th August 2018, 07:48 PM   #62
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Yute, as used above, refers to a person younger than the speaker, especially if the speaker elderly and is from the Western Pennsylvania region.

"Did yunz see dem yutes hangin' 'round duh corner again?"
Old 16th August 2018, 07:49 PM   #63
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Gotcha.

There are two types of people who drive utes: tradies and bogans. Tradie's utes are practical, are generally piled up in the back with tools and usually have a bar near the cab for lashing long things to and hanging occie straps and tiedowns from. Bogan utes usually have hard covers over the tray, turbocharged engines and chrome rims.
From your second link. Do you have to add an "ie" to everything? The Bachelor, Bachie backstabbing has already begun. The Bachelor is Bachie now? I can't help the overwhelming feeling that this is what happens when convicts are allowed free reign in nation building.
Old 16th August 2018, 09:24 PM   #64
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
From your second link. Do you have to add an "ie" to everything? The Bachelor, Bachie backstabbing has already begun. The Bachelor is Bachie now? I can't help the overwhelming feeling that this is what happens when convicts are allowed free reign in nation building.
Yes, we do. Barbie, tinnie, dunny, durrie, cossie, mozzie, maggie, choccie. In fact, we shorten with an ie pretty much every word we don't shorten by adding o. Damo, durro, limo, lino, bottleo, smoko.

Don't judge us.
Old 16th August 2018, 09:35 PM   #65
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Well, it's damned unhealthy and you should stop doing it.

Btw, this is funny.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 17th August 2018, 04:58 AM   #66
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yes, we do. Barbie, tinnie, dunny, durrie, cossie, mozzie, maggie, choccie. In fact, we shorten with an ie pretty much every word we don't shorten by adding o. Damo, durro, limo, lino, bottleo, smoko.

Don't judge us.
US audiences have recently gained access to the award-winning documentary "Kath and Kim" that fully explains ordinary Australian life. Look at me. Look at me. Look at meeeeee. I've got one thing to say to you: we're judging the heck out of you.
Old 17th August 2018, 05:17 AM   #67
calebprime
moleman

Who are we not to judge?
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 05:25 AM   #68
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Who are we not to judge?
"Who are we to say that the proud denizens of an ancient culture are
wrong to force their wives and daughters to live in cloth bags? And who are we to say, even, that they're wrong to beat them with lengths of steel cable, or throw battery acid in their faces if they decline the privilege of being smothered in this way?

Well, who are we not to say this? Who are we to pretend that we know so little about human well-being that we have to be non-judgmental about a practice like this?" - Sam Harris

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 05:30 AM   #69
calebprime
moleman

nice
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 01:01 PM   #70
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
US audiences have recently gained access to the award-winning documentary "Kath and Kim" that fully explains ordinary Australian life. Look at me. Look at me. Look at meeeeee. I've got one thing to say to you: we're judging the heck out of you.
I'll leave this here:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Bad language warning

Before Joe sourpusses the thread even further.
Old 19th August 2018, 07:13 PM   #71
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's okay. We judge Kath and Kim just as hard.
Old 19th August 2018, 08:29 PM   #72
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Oops! Wrong thread.

Last edited by psionl0; 19th August 2018 at 08:31 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2018, 10:03 PM   #73
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Don't judge us.
In new news, I just encountered a brand new -o contraction that I've never seen before. There's a cafe near my office that has a placard outside advertising "B&E Roll + Coffo"

B&E Roll is a Bacon and Egg roll - a common enough cafe breakfast item. But Coffo??? That's not a contraction I've seen before. I'm not sure that saving a single letter was worth it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events