ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags domestic violence , keith ellison , Minnesota politics

Old 15th August 2018, 04:02 PM   #41
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
He should drink Schmidt Beer, be able to talk about the '92 World Series, Kirby Puckett's game six home run, Jack Morris' gem in game seven, and of course Chuck Knoblauch's decoy throw to freeze Lonnie Smith and save the run...
'91 World Series you mean. Definitely one of the greatest game sevens of all time--right up there with 1960, 1975, and 2001.

Last edited by Brainster; 15th August 2018 at 04:05 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 04:07 PM   #42
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
This could be a glorious trainwreck come November. If more evidence comes out, liberals may have to choose between #winning and #metoo.
Keep in mind that it's for state AG, not a crucial spot.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 09:21 PM   #43
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
He should drink Schmidt Beer, be able to talk about the '92 World Series, Kirby Puckett's game six home run, Jack Morris' gem in game seven, and of course Chuck Knoblauch's decoy throw to freeze Lonnie Smith and save the run...
As they'd say up in Fargo.... "I'm thinking yer not from 'round here, are ya?"

Ellison is a Muslim. And Schmidt's beer has been out of business for decades.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 05:33 AM   #44
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
As they'd say up in Fargo.... "I'm thinking yer not from 'round here, are ya?"

Ellison is a Muslim. And Schmidt's beer has been out of business for decades.
And was based out of Philadelphia.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 10:34 AM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hamms was the big, Minnesota made beer.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 10:36 AM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Keep in mind that it's for state AG, not a crucial spot.
But it could gain national...and international attention...if it's gets nasty.
And I am afraid that the GOP will go after Ellison because of his religion.
It's not like using bigotry as a weapon is unknown to the new GOP.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 11:33 AM   #47
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
But it could gain national...and international attention...if it's gets nasty.
And I am afraid that the GOP will go after Ellison because of his religion.
It's not like using bigotry as a weapon is unknown to the new GOP.
Yes, they'll go after his religion, I am sure. After all it's not like he's got any other skeletons in his closet. Well, other than the one we are discussing. But I don't think the GOP can spend the next two months talking about Ellison beating up a woman. It would be tacky.
Old 16th August 2018, 11:51 AM   #48
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yes, they'll go after his religion, I am sure. After all it's not like he's got any other skeletons in his closet. Well, other than the one we are discussing. But I don't think the GOP can spend the next two months talking about Ellison beating up a woman. It would be tacky.
Cain?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 06:03 PM   #49
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If the wife beating charges against Ellison are true, then I hope the Dems in Minnesota demand that he resign and wipe their hands of him. I won't be a hypocrite on this issue.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th August 2018, 06:18 PM   #50
d4m10n
Illuminator

If the wife beating charges against Ellison are true, then I hope the Dems in Minnesota demand that he resign and wipe their hands of him. I won't be a hypocrite on this issue.
*gf
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 07:06 PM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
*gf
You are right, my bad.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th August 2018, 07:59 PM   #52
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
And was based out of Philadelphia.
Pesky damned apostrophe s. Schmidt's was from Philly. Schmidt was from Minneapolis.

Hamms was the big, Minnesota made beer.
Yeah, Schmidt actually worked for Hamms. (But Schmidt was the one mentioned.) It matters not. By the time I discovered 'em they both tasted like Miller Lite.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 10:47 PM   #53
Bob001
Philosopher

The ex-girlfriend (not wife) has now described on camera what she says is the assault and she says she has the video. Starting to look like more than gossip.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/...ex-girlfriend/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 12:43 AM   #54
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The ex-girlfriend (not wife) has now described on camera what she says is the assault and she says she has the video. Starting to look like more than gossip.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/...ex-girlfriend/
Yep! The DFL needs to "not confirm" him and put forth another candidate. I think the second place vote getter is an old party hand and if they act immediately, they might save the position. If they dawdle they could impact the whole election. They're favored to win the Governor's Mansion but if seen to be circling the wagons, they could easily lose. MN is about as purple a state as you can find.

Old 17th August 2018, 11:53 AM   #55
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Until, and if, she produces the video I neither believe nor disbelieve her. Claiming she has it, but will not produce it, is still suspicious to me. A man's career hangs in the balance on that video.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 03:07 PM   #56
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

"Sen. Franken is scheduled to speak tomorrow. I think he will do the right thing and resign."
-- Keith Ellison (Dec 6, 2017)
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 03:53 PM   #57
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Until, and if, she produces the video I neither believe nor disbelieve her. Claiming she has it, but will not produce it, is still suspicious to me. A man's career hangs in the balance on that video.
I guess that's where I am, although to be honest I generally dislike videos of domestic violence.

Still, while a tape would be entirely disqualifying on it's face, and it sounds like there are other people willing to back up the victim's story, the DA position is important enough for law enforcement reform that I'd rather have had it come out before a primary.

In the end, if it's true, the entire blame falls on Ellison, for putting the ex in this position to begin with, for running for office knowing what he did, and so forth.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 03:56 PM   #58
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"Sen. Franken is scheduled to speak tomorrow. I think he will do the right thing and resign."
That was back when we all believed that if Franken resigned, Trump would have to resign.

Now that we know that will never happen, we need to stop the witch hunts before they claim Ellison, too.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 04:09 PM   #59
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I guess that's where I am, although to be honest I generally dislike videos of domestic violence.

Still, while a tape would be entirely disqualifying on it's face, and it sounds like there are other people willing to back up the victim's story, the DA position is important enough for law enforcement reform that I'd rather have had it come out before a primary.

In the end, if it's true, the entire blame falls on Ellison, for putting the ex in this position to begin with, for running for office knowing what he did, and so forth.
I don't have to see the video myself. If it's shown to credible journalists and/or law enforcement and they report that it does show domestic abuse, then he should drop out of the race.

I'm just suspicious of the timing and that no other woman has come forward to claim abuse as in the cases of others who were fired/forced to resign. It's just far too easy for one woman to make an accusation without evidence and everyone is supposed to believe her without question. I can't help but think of the Duke lacrosse team.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 04:11 PM   #60
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

FOr Trump supporters to claim the moral high ground when it comes to issues like this is beyond silly.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th August 2018, 04:23 PM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

FOr Trump supporters to claim the moral high ground when it comes to issues like this is beyond silly.
More imaginary tea parties, dudalb? Nobody is claiming the moral high ground here, unless it's you.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 04:26 PM   #62
Stacyhs
Philosopher

No doubt about that! Not when...what is it?... nineteen women came forward with claims of sexual harassment, etc. I wonder how his promised lawsuit against them is coming along?

The GOP: the party of "family values".
Old 17th August 2018, 04:42 PM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Next time a GOPer talks about how "character matters" in a Political Candidate to blast a Dem, I will laugh right in their face.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th August 2018, 04:44 PM   #64
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Next time a GOPer talks about how "character matters" in a Political Candidate to blast a Dem, I will laugh right in their face.
When was the last time you had a face to face conversation with a GOPer?

Who exactly are you hoping to impress with these pronouncements? Are you concerned that your fellow progressives doubt your ideological purity? Are you hoping to intimidate conservatives with your threat of laughter?

Last edited by theprestige; 17th August 2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 19th August 2018, 09:09 PM   #65
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

If you think dudalb is a progressive, you betray yourself as a right-wing trump hugger. Dudalb is more centrist than anything.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2018, 09:41 PM   #66
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

We could talk about Ellison's support for cop-killers; I suppose there we would have the moral high ground. It's actually more relevant to his planned job as the top law enforcement official in Minnesota.

But you know how it is; that sort of stuff is actually a qualification for the job among Democrats. Domestic violence is supposedly the kind of thing they frown upon.
Old 20th August 2018, 11:33 AM   #67
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

"Very proud of my friend Senator Al Franken as he spoke passionately about Violence Against Women Act."
-- Keith Ellison (April 26, 2012)
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 11:42 AM   #68
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed. Dems have been proving Republicans wrong about the importance of character for years. They finally surrendered.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2018, 03:18 PM   #69
surrogate
Critical Thinker

I don't find this woman to be credible, she seem either deceptive or mentally ill to me.

NY Times - A Broken Relationship and Accusations of Emotional Abuse: The Case of Keith Ellison

Quote:
Ms. Monahan claimed to have a cellphone video of the incident, but has so far declined to make it available to reporters. She told CNN that she misplaced it, but wrote on Facebook that she would not provide it because victims should not be forced to prove their claims. Shortly after she made the allegation, Ms. Monahan called the police and alleged that her computer had been hacked and “that email conversations between her and Ellison have been randomly deleted off of her laptop,” according to the police report.

Ms. Monahan said that after the alleged incident, she borrowed money to pay the deposit on her own place, but did not consider the relationship to be over until January 2017, when she discovered text messages on Mr. Ellison’s phone to two other women.
Quote:
About a year after the breakup, Ms. Monahan sent an email to Ms. Hurtado, accusing her of stealing Mr. Ellison’s affections.

“Your desires, and how you acted on those desires, in this whole situation had nothing to do with Keith’s wellbeing,” Ms. Monahan wrote. “You thought of your needs, what you wanted, your desires, and it didn’t matter who you hurt.”
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2018, 06:55 PM   #70
Donal
Illuminator

We could talk about Ellison's support for cop-killers; I suppose there we would have the moral high ground.
Because the cop killers right wingers support are white? Cuz if you want, we can talk about the mainstream Republican party's cozy relationship with anti-government militias and other sorts of "very fine people"
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2018, 07:03 PM   #71
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Because the cop killers right wingers support are white? Cuz if you want, we can talk about the mainstream Republican party's cozy relationship with anti-government militias and other sorts of "very fine people"
Thank goodness everybody's been holding back on talking about that! I do have to admire the restraint.
Old 31st August 2018, 06:48 AM   #72
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Ellison's daughter doesn't seem to put much stock in the accusations:

https://www.facebook.com/amirah.elli...16952176467802
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2018, 09:59 AM   #73
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post

Lol
Old 31st August 2018, 10:03 AM   #74
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

"You have the right to be believed, and we're with you," quoting Clinton."
Old 31st August 2018, 02:22 PM   #75
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
"You have the right to be believed, and we're with you," quoting Clinton."
So applecorped you will be calling on Trump to step down, after all you should believe the nearly 20 women who accused him of sexual misconduct, shouldn't you?

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 03:31 PM   #76
CORed
Philosopher

Lutefisk can best be described as a Scandinavian attempt at Sushi gone horribly,horribly, wrong.
I've never actually eaten the stuff, but I understand it's made from spoiled fish and lye. How could it possibly taste good?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 01:44 PM   #77
Donal
Illuminator

Thank goodness everybody's been holding back on talking about that! I do have to admire the restraint.
I realize this was a failed attempt at sarcasm, but that is actually true. The relationships the GOP has nurtured with right wing domestic terrorist groups have gone largely under reported.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 07:58 PM   #78
BrooklynBaby
Muse

I always ignore stuff like this until evidence actually becomes available, an arrest is made, etc.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics