ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th September 2018, 06:30 AM   #161
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
So, perfectly rational people have to bow for them, they wear gloves when touching mere mortals, you have to call them 'highness' and they don't close their own car doors.
Unless it's QEII and it's her own Land Rover, in which case she'll open the door, drive the car, and reputedly even rebuild the engine if it needs it.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 06:34 AM   #162
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Unless it's QEII and it's her own Land Rover, in which case she'll open the door, drive the car, and reputedly even rebuild the engine if it needs it.

Dave
Sure. It's all window dressing for formal occasions. On their own time they go hunting, driving whatnot.

I liked the scene in The Queen, where Tony Blair has to go through the whole bowing-'your highness'-ritual, (and feeling very silly) and then they just go back to acting normal.
Old 26th September 2018, 07:10 AM   #163
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
How many hereditary peers are left?
11%
Quote:
And bishops?
3%

That leaves 85.3% appointed.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 08:10 AM   #164
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
11%

3%

That leaves 85.3% appointed.
Which is worse in many ways.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 08:17 AM   #165
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why do we need to codify the constitution?
Well for one thing if you are going to change things in the constitution it sure helps if everyone agrees whats in there, even if they disagree to a certain degree about how it's interpreted. Then again the UK hasn't even managed to codify the criminal offence of murder. I guess were going to have to wait until someone thoroughly demolishes the current British state before we even start to see the outlines of a written constitution.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 26th September 2018 at 08:22 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 09:16 AM   #166
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Then again the UK hasn't even managed to codify the criminal offence of murder.
Shocking considering the insanely high murder rate there! We've seen Midsomer Murders. Makes Cabot Cove look like a haven of safety.
Old 26th September 2018, 01:27 PM   #167
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
You don't want them going all folksy. Royals are a premium brand that had to adjust to not actually being seen as God-appointed rulers.

So, perfectly rational people have to bow for them, they wear gloves when touching mere mortals, you have to call them 'highness' and they don't close their own car doors. It's all stupid, but if they stop doing that they lose their shine in a generation.
Meh, I think if the affairs, divorces, Nazi fancy dress and nude snooker didn't do it I'm not sure closing a car door will.
Old 26th September 2018, 05:43 PM   #168
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

... wait, nude snooker?
Old 27th September 2018, 03:36 AM   #169
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
... wait, nude snooker?
My apologies, it was billiards (Prince Harry, Aug 2012).
Old 27th September 2018, 03:38 AM   #170
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
My apologies, it was billiards (Prince Harry, Aug 2012).
Well, that makes all the difference. Nude snooker is a complete load of balls.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 03:55 AM   #171
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Well, that makes all the difference. Nude snooker is a complete load of balls.

Dave
Yeah, putting your balls back into play after potting them is most unhygienic.
Old 28th September 2018, 04:57 AM   #172
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Shocking considering the insanely high murder rate there! We've seen Midsomer Murders. Makes Cabot Cove look like a haven of safety.
And presumably, makes Chicago look tame.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events