ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th July 2019, 11:04 PM   #321
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That position was untenable and I have abandoned it.
That’s good to know. How was this announced?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 01:04 AM   #322
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I certainly wasn't aware that was the case.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 01:49 AM   #323
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

My position is that when it comes to exercising the right to free speech, there is no principled distinction between the two.
There may be no "principled distinction" between the two (although I hold there is) but there are as others have provided clear examples to demonstrate actual emperical distinctions, and the legal systems of countries ike the USA and the UK have legislated for these emperical differences.
Old 20th July 2019, 02:14 AM   #324
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Citizens should not need to justify themselves to the government, in order to exercise their rights. Quite the opposite: The government needs to justify themselves to their citizens, in order to infringe on a right. What you're talking about is privilege. I think it's a mistake to think of human rights as if they were government privileges.
And TR didn't have the right to do what he did. That's why he's going to jail.

So if you want to argue that he SHOULD have the right to do it then I think you should attempt to show that changing the rules should have some value or benefit.

He was harassing the defendants and encouraging others to do the same. He was rabble rousing. If you class that as something that should be allowed as a right to free speech then your definition of a right to free speech has little merit.
Old 20th July 2019, 02:52 AM   #325
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Prohibiting jokes about bombs in airports is entirely consistent with the principle that the government should have to justify itself, when infringing on a right.
As courts have to when they put temporary reporting restrictions in place.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 04:27 AM   #326
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
As courts have to when they put temporary reporting restrictions in place.
I would quite happily have a no reporting rule on any ongoing trial. There is no need for it as far as I can see.

Report on the outcome once a verdict has been rendered.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:37 AM   #327
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Any pub in any town. It's pretty much across the board in my experience.
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20190719187587
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM   #328
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

The Bellend of Belmarsh tried to intimidate a pensioner on Day One and got decked. Karma

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...ison-edl-fight
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM   #329
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Doesn't pass the sniff test.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM   #330
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
How did you misunderstand that previous post of mine so badly?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM   #331
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I certainly wasn't aware that was the case.
My bad. Next time, I'll be sure to send you a Save the Date and a link to the gift registry, so you don't miss it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #332
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Doesn't pass the sniff test.

His supporters say it's "completely fake news":

Originally Posted by tr.news
The mainstream media, including, The Daily Star and The Mirror are reporting that Tommy Robinson has been ‘punched to the ground by another inmate in the showers’.

For his own protection, Tommy Robinson has been in complete isolation since arriving at Belmarsh prison. Robinson has not seen another prisoner, let alone been showering with other inmates.

This story is completely fake news.

The media have been informed that there is no truth to the story, but refuse to take it offline. [...]
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #333
Wudang
BOFH

Not covered as far as I can see in the Guardian or Times. Mind you I'm not sure they would cover it. The Star will print any old crap, the Mirror is usually not too bad but I think they'd see this as appealing too much to their readership not to print it.
Old Today, 12:16 AM   #334
bluesjnr

My bad. Next time, I'll be sure to send you a Save the Date and a link to the gift registry, so you don't miss it.
...... touchy.......
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #335
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
The Bellend of Belmarsh tried to intimidate a pensioner on Day One and got decked. Karma

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...ison-edl-fight
If I was going to write a prison fight scene I would reject this version as far too clichéd.

You've been had.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events