ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st August 2019, 02:22 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

FBI faked killing of John Dillinger;Body Exhumed for tests...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...amily-n1038371

This conspiracy theory has been around for quite a while;almost no historians of the 1930's give it credence.
But I would bet, even if the tests show beyond reasonable doubt it is the body of John Dillinger, the conspiracy theory will not die. The True Beleivers are sort of immune to facts.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 05:49 AM   #2
Major Major
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...amily-n1038371

This conspiracy theory has been around for quite a while;almost no historians of the 1930's give it credence.
But I would bet, even if the tests show beyond reasonable doubt it is the body of John Dillinger, the conspiracy theory will not die. The True Beleivers are sort of immune to facts.
They'll probably do what the guy who wrote the book about the "second Oswald KGB assassin" did, once the body was exhumed and shown to be the original LHO; say that Dillinger was secretly executed and the body was placed in the grave.

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 06:14 AM   #3
bknight
Graduate Poster

I guess the Lady in Red was also in on that alleged fake. Looks like a get my person in mass media print for instant notoriety.
IMHO
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:16 AM   #4
CORed
Philosopher

It's quite possible, given that Dillinger (or Fake Dillinger) died 85 years ago, that results will be inconclusive. There may or may not be DNA sufficiently intact to make a positive ID. Inconclusive results, of course, will keep the conspiracy theory alive. I will be very surprised if it is conclusively shown that the body is not Dillinger.

Of course, as stated, even conclusive evidence that the body is Dillinger will not put the conspiracy theories to rest. It will, to the conspiracy theorists, only mean that they bribed the lab people, switched bodies after the real Dillinger was killed or ... something.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:36 AM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

This is why I want to be cremated: it encourages more CTs

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:59 AM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
It's quite possible, given that Dillinger (or Fake Dillinger) died 85 years ago, that results will be inconclusive. There may or may not be DNA sufficiently intact to make a positive ID. Inconclusive results, of course, will keep the conspiracy theory alive. I will be very surprised if it is conclusively shown that the body is not Dillinger.

Of course, as stated, even conclusive evidence that the body is Dillinger will not put the conspiracy theories to rest. It will, to the conspiracy theorists, only mean that they bribed the lab people, switched bodies after the real Dillinger was killed or ... something.
True, but if they could make a positive ID on Richard The Third...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:01 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Or buried at sea. Look at all the conspiracy crap rising from Osame being given the deep six in the ocean.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:13 PM   #8
bknight
Graduate Poster

Or buried at sea. Look at all the conspiracy crap rising from Osame being given the deep six in the ocean.
We had to be more or less politically correct in that burial.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

We'll do our best, but you should let us know in advance which flavors you'd prefer.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
We'll do our best, but you should let us know in advance which flavors you'd prefer.

I already put contract that didn't print properly in a very official looking envelope with a note that says: If I die, make sure that section 9 is enforced!!!

Of course, Section 9 is on a page that didn't print.

Now that I type that out it seems a bit lame. I'll work on planting more seeds.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:52 PM   #11
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

There's been a long standing rumour that Purvis and his guys did kill the wrong man and it was swept under the rug until Hoover felt he could fire Purvis w/o public notice.

Purvis "resigned" in '35, committed suicide in 1960.

I take no side in the argument, but there was chatter about both the Pretty Boy Floyd shooting and the Dillinger shooting amongst FBI agents.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:09 PM   #12
Pope130
Illuminator

I already put contract that didn't print properly in a very official looking envelope with a note that says: If I die, make sure that section 9 is enforced!!!

Of course, Section 9 is on a page that didn't print.

Now that I type that out it seems a bit lame. I'll work on planting more seeds.
A file of surveillance photos of people, or locations, which in fact have no connection, could work.

Last edited by Pope130; 2nd August 2019 at 09:11 PM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:30 AM   #13
The Common Potato
Scholar

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
I guess the Lady in Red was also in on that alleged fake. Looks like a get my person in mass media print for instant notoriety.
IMHO
Chris de Burgh killed John Dillinger? 10^9 apologies for the link. I thought I'd got over the trauma.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:00 AM   #14
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
Chris de Burgh killed John Dillinger? 10^9 apologies for the link. I thought I'd got over the trauma.
Well yes a lady in red, but not what I had in mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dillinger

Quote:
Division of Investigations chief J. Edgar Hoover created a special task force headquartered in Chicago to locate Dillinger. On July 21, Ana Cumpănaș, a madam from a brothel in Gary, Indiana, also known as "The Woman in Red" contacted the FBI. She was a Romanian immigrant threatened with deportation for "low moral character" and offered agents information on Dillinger in exchange for their help in preventing her deportation. The FBI agreed to her terms, but she was later deported nonetheless. Cumpănaș revealed that Dillinger was spending his time with another prostitute, Polly Hamilton, and that she and the couple would be going to see a movie together on the following day. She agreed to wear an orange dress,[52] so police could easily identify her. She was unsure which of two theaters they would be attending, the Biograph or the Marbro.
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:18 PM   #15
Hans
Philosopher

True, but if they could make a positive ID on Richard The Third...
The oldest Homo DNA found so far is 430,000 years old. It mainly will depend on whether his body was embalmed (some of the chemicals can destroy DNA and what the the ground water level and acidity of soil is in the area he was buried.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-old...-human-history
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 08:08 AM   #16
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The oldest Homo DNA found so far is 430,000 years old. It mainly will depend on whether his body was embalmed (some of the chemicals can destroy DNA and what the the ground water level and acidity of soil is in the area he was buried.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-old...-human-history
They finally found a gay gene?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 01:37 PM   #17
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
I thought the conspiracy theory about John Dillinger's death was the claimed size, post-mortem condition, and subsequent disposition of his member. The FBI and the Smithsonian have repeatedly denied having any such remains in their possession, but myths like that die hard.

Last edited by Myriad; 9th August 2019 at 01:38 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 04:19 PM   #18
slythe
New Blood

Sooooo….they're digging up the clone of John Dillinger, are they?
slythe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:19 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slythe View Post
Sooooo….they're digging up the clone of John Dillinger, are they?
Pretty much, just like they did Jesse James in the late 1990's. The forensice proved that the body in the grave really was Jesse James, despite over a hundred years of rumors and theories to the contrary.
I suspect that is what will happen here.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th August 2019, 05:48 PM   #20
Wolrab
Illuminator

Why would Jesse be in Dillinger's grave?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:39 PM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Epstein had himself cloned long ago.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories