ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:34 PM   #481
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Won’t the presidential dais have cold air blowing up on the president? Or am I being overly critical when I imagine the president’s demands for comfortability.
There's a joke about hot air right there... Anyone want to field it?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:02 PM   #482
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
There's a joke about hot air right there... Anyone want to field it?
It immediately came to mind but I thought better of it upon reading your comment. Damn...missed it by minutes...
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:20 PM   #483
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I just checked the weather forecast for DC tomorrow, and it said 92° F with a heat index of 100° F. Given Trump's general health, his tendency to ramble endlessly, and his love of hearing himself talk, maybe he'll pass out from the heat during his speech.
William Henry Harrison died only a few weeks after taking office after giving a long speech in inclement weather. Just sayin'....
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:22 PM   #484
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm enjoying hearing the pundits try to say "politicization" when referring to the parade preparations.
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:32 PM   #485
Tero
Graduate Poster

Trump justice dept has become a joke. Court orders a response to Trump tweet that he will simply order the citizenship question to go on the census.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:15 PM   #486
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
WTF? What the hell does Trump think HE did?
Who's Donnie's bagman now that "The Fixer" is out. Donnie may have put up the money for the suspiciously immune medic who "confessed".

Seriously... Trump directly intervened to get him into less restrictive holding conditions during his court martial. (Like his idol, Nixon, who had ordered Calley released to house arrest.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:54 PM   #487
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I would hope that nobody shows up and the TV cameras broadcast that fact all in HD.
Free fireworks and guns?

Unfortunately, I'd say there's no chance of that happening.

I'll also have $1 on it making the network TV news in faraway New Zealand, as either lead or second item.

Nothing like a free show to get the proles excited.

Is there a Two-Minute Hate?
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:03 PM   #488
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Free fireworks and guns?

Unfortunately, I'd say there's no chance of that happening.

I'll also have $1 on it making the network TV news in faraway New Zealand, as either lead or second item.

Nothing like a free show to get the proles excited.

Is there a Two-Minute Hate?
There will be a gathering of Trumpites, sufficient to make some noise. And Donny will be utterly unable to help himself. It will become a campaign rally speech for him. And the world will be treated to another rambling and incoherent blathering from the orange oaf.

Nobody will notice the "military parade" is a static museum piece. Or that the flyover will be just like living next to Ronald Reagan airport every day. Or that the fireworks will be all donated (what, Donny pay??), and will be no more spectacular than what we get in Sydney every New Years.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:33 PM   #489
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The type of 'relationship' that they are accused of is not strictly a 'homosexual' one (with both individuals on relatively equal footing), but one of master/slave. Trump is obviously subservient to Putin.
That's the way I pictured it, a politically satirical image of Trump sucking a babies dummy while being rear ended by Putin in a closet.

I'm not sure if Putin is good or bad for the world, it's definitely bad for Russian democracy. As long as he doesn't go nuts and start invading places, oh wait...
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:36 PM   #490
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Putin/Trump relationship is much more along the lines of D/s - gender doesn't really enter into it.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:49 PM   #491
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Quote:
My intent was to insinuate he likes being a prostitute.
Sure it was. And what's wrong with that, anyway? Everyone would be lucky to enjoy their work. Or do you just disapprove of sex work? Seems more like honest work than inheriting capital and getting into real estate. If you could prove Trump turned tricks for money he'd go up in my estimation.
Well, it would probably be the only business endeavor Trump has been involved in that DIDN'T lose money.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:04 PM   #492
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

I'm curious about this fireworks "donation" (proper term is actually "contribution") thing.

First off, if its really just 2 individuals either they are grossly undervaluing the cost of the goods or grossly exceeding their contribution limits. Ok, a third possibility is this will be the most anemic 4th of July display ever. Midwest cow-town displays run $2,500-7,500 for about a 5-minute show at a local park or fairground, assumed to be viewed from all around, so no huge effort to make a visual spectacle. Individual contribution limits are $2,800. Even assuming these two individuals are using both primary and general contribution limits, that's a combined $11,200.

The big impressive displays take months of planning, selecting shells, firing orders, fuse timings, and more to achieve a particular visual arrangement from the expected viewing area. Then add coordinating the display to music. There is no rehearsal for a fireworks show, so these pyrotech masters don't come cheap.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 3rd July 2019 at 10:06 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:25 PM   #493
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I'm curious about this fireworks "donation" (proper term is actually "contribution") thing.

First off, if its really just 2 individuals either they are grossly undervaluing the cost of the goods or grossly exceeding their contribution limits. Ok, a third possibility is this will be the most anemic 4th of July display ever. Midwest cow-town displays run $2,500-7,500 for about a 5-minute show at a local park or fairground, assumed to be viewed from all around, so no huge effort to make a visual spectacle. Individual contribution limits are $2,800. Even assuming these two individuals are using both primary and general contribution limits, that's a combined $11,200.

The big impressive displays take months of planning, selecting shells, firing orders, fuse timings, and more to achieve a particular visual arrangement from the expected viewing area. Then add coordinating the display to music. There is no rehearsal for a fireworks show, so these pyrotech masters don't come cheap.
That was what I was wondering. The large, professional fireworks displays manufacture their own fireworks based on the planned display. No pro would work with or trust “donated” fireworks.
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:36 PM   #494
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The cost of our great Salute to America tomorrow will be very little compared to what it is worth. We own the planes, we have the pilots, the airport is right next door (Andrews), all we need is the fuel. We own the tanks and all. Fireworks are donated by two of the greats. Nice!
It sounds like insiders are telling him that people are grumbling about the cost so he can head off criticism with a tweet.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:41 PM   #495
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It sounds like insiders are telling him that people are grumbling about the cost so he can head off criticism with a tweet.
Let's grumble about how the best fireworks are so safe they can be launched from between the teeth, and that's what Obama did when he was president! While sitting in a wading pool full of kerosene.
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:43 PM   #496
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That was what I was wondering. The large, professional fireworks displays manufacture their own fireworks based on the planned display. No pro would work with or trust “donated” fireworks.
I guess we can look forward to a few sparklers for the crowd to wave around as Kelly-Ann lights the blue touch papers on some roman candles and catherine wheels. Woo!
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:00 PM   #497
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

......and will be no more spectacular than what we get in Sydney every New Years.
but.... but.... but... we BLOW UP the Sydney Harbour Bridge every year and rebuild it to stimulate jobs. Are you suggesting the Yanks aren't going to blow up any of their Washington monuments at all? What's wrong with them!!!??!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harbour Bridge.jpg (100.8 KB, 9 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:06 PM   #498
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
His downplaying it is part of what made me start wondering what is wrong with it.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:32 PM   #499
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

The cost of our great Salute to America tomorrow will be very little compared to what it is worth. We own the planes, we have the pilots, the airport is right next door (Andrews), all we need is the fuel. We own the tanks and all. Fireworks are donated by two of the greats. Nice!
As if Americans were really saying, “hang on, buying airplanes for a Fourth of July celebration sounds expensive.”
Old 4th July 2019, 01:13 AM   #500
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The contribution was announced as $750,000. That's not chump change. One of the contributors may be just giving powder and charges, or smaller stuff for side events, 'cuz I think they're not in the others' league. The other donator is Grucci, who are rather good at what they do, handling most of the best displays Americans have ever seen.... New York City, various celebrations. They're the only Americans who give the Chinese a run for their money in fireworks competitions.

ETA: And they are corporations donating to the country's birthday party, not to a political campaign. Or at least that's the way it's being excused.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 4th July 2019 at 01:16 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 01:23 AM   #501
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Trump justice dept has become a joke. Court orders a response to Trump tweet that he will simply order the citizenship question to go on the census.
To expand on this: Supreme Court handed down an order saying the citizenship question couldn't go on the census. The Justice Department confirmed the census forms would be printed without the questions, as did Sec of Commerce Wilbur Ross.

Then yesterday morning, trump tweeted that those two confirmations were 'FAKE NEWS!!!!11' and that he had instructed both to find a way to ensure the citizenship question would go on the form anyway. This prompted a return to the courts, where at first one attorney for the trump administration denied this was the case, only for another one to admit that that was indeed what was happening.

So now they've been given until friday to determine if trump is going to push for the citizenship question, or if they'll enter into a written agreement not to do so. If they choose the former, Judge Hazel has indicated that he is minded to reconsider adding previous mooted conspiracy and discrimination allegations against the trump administration over this.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 01:29 AM   #502
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Simple solution:

Trump can have the Citizenship Question if he signs them as an Executive order ...

... on every single questionnaire.

If he is willing to write-in the question on all census forms personally, he has my blessing to have them included.
Old 4th July 2019, 01:30 AM   #503
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

So it will cost more that Trump says it will. He's lying. What did you expect?

Hans
Old 4th July 2019, 01:37 AM   #504
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
So, add "operating costs" to the things Trump doesn't understand.
Incidentally, one might wonder where those operating costs are coming from?

Wonder no more! Trump pilfers $2.5 million earmarked for national parks to cover costs of his July 4 party.

Also about the festivities... July 4th fireworks donor lobbied President Trump on tariffs and won a reprieve. $750,000 donation of fireworks, a meeting with the President, and bam, on the same day, tariffs, including those on fireworks, don't happen as planned.

Speaking of the 4th of July, though, the celebration in DC obviously isn't the only one. Kansas deserves some special attention, too, though. KS Republicans plan to celebrate the 4th of July weekend with a gay bashing good time in Dodge City.

Quote:
Kansas Republicans are turning out in force in Ford County, Kansas this weekend. Sound familiar? Dodge City, the county seat and largest community in Ford County was national news in 2018 when voter suppression efforts limited voting opportunities.

Well, Kansas Republicans are back for a gay bashing, women berating good time to be had by all in th streets of Dodge City, where they will host A Kansas Revival event. The organizers of the event say it isn’t about bashing anyone, or being against anyone. It’s just about pointing out that the LGBT lifestyle is morally wrong and that women who have abortions should go to jail, or you know, some level of draconian punishment that would discourage it.

In video posts on Kansas Revival’s sight for their only slightly altered Straight Pride campaign, ministers lay out their non-bashing opinion, not that they are bashing anyone, just that, well, you know, LGBT people are the downfall of society. Absolutely not bashing them, though, you know. Just a straight pride, anti-choice parade for the weekend, that’s all.
Oh, in other news... Georgia imposes new form of literacy test to keep Puerto Ricans from getting GA driver licenses. Republicans seem to hate Puerto Rico... or, in other words, it's not just Trump.

Moving on... border time! Nurses Say Border Patrol Is Delaying Treatment To Sick Immigrant Kids, With Dire Consequences. Is there really any need to say more about how utterly despicable those who have brought and encouraged things to this point are?

In good related news... Federal judge bars Barr from denying due process to asylum seekers. It wouldn't remotely be surprising for an appeal to be brought to bear shortly, though.

In random potentially great news - HIV eliminated from the genomes of living animals.

Quote:
Researchers have for the first time eliminated replication-competent HIV-1 DNA -- the virus responsible for AIDS -- from the genomes of living animals. The study marks a critical step toward the development of a possible cure for human HIV infection.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th July 2019 at 01:41 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 01:50 AM   #505
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Today’s Stock Market is the highest in the history of our great Country! This is the 104th time since the Election of 2016 that we have reached a NEW HIGH. Congratulations USA!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 04:36 AM   #506
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

So important for our Country that the very simple and basic “Are you a Citizen of the United States?” question be allowed to be asked in the 2020 Census. Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice are working very hard on this, even on the 4th of July!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 4th July 2019 at 04:37 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:07 AM   #507
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

People are coming from far and wide to join us today and tonight for what is turning out to be one of the biggest celebrations in the history of our Country, SALUTE TO AMERICA, an all day event at the Lincoln Memorial, culminating with large scale flyovers of the most modern.....

....and advanced aircraft anywhere in the World. Perhaps even Aircraft One will do a low & loud sprint over the crowd. That will start at 6:00P.M., but be there early. Then, at 9:00 P.M., a great (to put it mildly) fireworks display. I will speak on behalf of our great Country!
Old 4th July 2019, 05:09 AM   #508
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Aircraft One?
Old 4th July 2019, 05:14 AM   #509
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
Wonder no more! Trump pilfers $2.5 million earmarked for national parks to cover costs of his July 4 party.
but but clintonemailz, I suppose :/ .

Eta: oh god, Aircraft One. I suppose he'll want his own personal Abrams, too. Panzer One.

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 4th July 2019 at 05:16 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:27 AM   #510
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Aircraft One?
Maybe he's referring to both his helicopter and his plane being in the fly over. Of course neither is called Marine One or Air Force one unless the president is on board.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:35 AM   #511
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

So important for our Country that the very simple and basic “Are you a Citizen of the United States?” question be allowed to be asked in the 2020 Census. Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice are working very hard on this, even on the 4th of July!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!
Other than saying it is important, has he ever articulated actual thoughts about the function of enumeration of non citizens?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:41 AM   #512
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Well, it would probably be the only business endeavor Trump has been involved in that DIDN'T lose money.

Assumes fact not in evidence. I could see him spending too much on chauffeur driven limos to the worksite, and god knows the gold-plated gimp suit isn't going to be cheap. Plus, you just know there's zero chance of repeat business, which is where the real money is.
Old 4th July 2019, 06:06 AM   #513
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I have a semi decent argument for the tanks and aircraft at the event.

Thanks and aircraft are cool. It is probably going to make a couple kids' days to see them up close.

I'm not saying that outweighs the cost, but it seems the benefits were not getting mentioned.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:11 AM   #514
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I have a semi decent argument for the tanks and aircraft at the event.

Thanks and aircraft are cool. It is probably going to make a couple kids' days to see them up close.

I'm not saying that outweighs the cost, but it seems the benefits were not getting mentioned.
They should have strippers instead - cheaper than tanks and aircraft and likely will make more people's day to see them
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:13 AM   #515
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Candace Owens
‏Verified account
@RealCandaceO

You cannot be a victim and a victor at the same time.
You can either choose to win or accept your status as a loser.
The secret is that if you stop making excuses, you will no longer have to.
#BLEXIT

Brandon Tatum
‏@TheOfficerTatum
Follow Follow @TheOfficerTatum

What I have seen from the last two nights isn't America.
These candidates are disgraceful. All I saw was pandering.
Illegals getting free healthcare is ridiculous.
Bashing law enforcement.
Speaking Spanish.
Open borders and raising taxes.
Old 4th July 2019, 06:13 AM   #516
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
They should have strippers instead - cheaper than tanks and aircraft and likely will make more people's day to see them
I don't understand this post. Why should they even have tanks?
Old 4th July 2019, 06:14 AM   #517
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking Spanish!
Old 4th July 2019, 06:15 AM   #518
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Great news for the Republican Party as one of the dumbest & most disloyal men in Congress is “quitting” the Party. No Collusion, No Obstruction! Knew he couldn’t get the nomination to run again in the Great State of Michigan. Already being challenged for his seat. A total loser!
Old 4th July 2019, 06:16 AM   #519
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Nothing more American than a Stripper!
Old 4th July 2019, 06:24 AM   #520
Armitage72
Illuminator

I am shocked. Absolutely shocked. Well ... not really shocked. I predicted they would do something to spare Trump's delicate feelings.

I found this in an article posted in another thread.

Quote:
The National Park Service has issued a permit to feminist group Code Pink to stage a demonstration in the vicinity of the event.
They plan to display an inflatable balloon depicting Mr Trump as a baby to protest against the "militarisation" of the US holiday.
But organisers were denied permission to use helium for the balloon to make it airborne.

EDIT: It looks like the decision was announced a couple days ago. This is the first I heard about it.

Last edited by Armitage72; 4th July 2019 at 06:26 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics