ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 06:49 AM   #521
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
But organisers were denied permission to use helium for the balloon to make it airborne.
They should cut it loose and send it across the mall towards the Lincoln Memorial bouncing over people's heads during The PDJT's speech, like one of those giant beach balls at rock concerts.
Old 4th July 2019, 06:55 AM   #522
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Aircraft One?
Cognitive decline is evident.
Old 4th July 2019, 07:32 AM   #523
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I am shocked. Absolutely shocked. Well ... not really shocked. I predicted they would do something to spare Trump's delicate feelings.

I found this in an article posted in another thread.

EDIT: It looks like the decision was announced a couple days ago. This is the first I heard about it.
We'll see. Code Pink isn't famed for following instructions.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:54 AM   #524
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Trump is not perfect by any means. He has said things that make me cringe but overall he is a better President than Hillary or Sanders would have been.
Old 4th July 2019, 07:56 AM   #525
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Are you drunk?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:59 AM   #526
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Trump is not perfect by any means. He has said things that make me cringe but overall he is a better President than Hillary or Sanders would have been.
and you know this because you visited the appropriate parallel dimensions?
Old 4th July 2019, 08:00 AM   #527
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You really think a Russian whore is better than two senators?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 10:38 AM   #528
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Has he said anything that didn't make you cringe?

Hans
Old 4th July 2019, 11:43 AM   #529
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

That’s crazy talk.
Old 4th July 2019, 11:50 AM   #530
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
That’s crazy talk.
Do you doubt this person's policy preferences contrast with the democrats sufficiently for that to be true?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 11:56 AM   #531
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Looks like a lot of people already heading to SALUTE TO AMERICA at Lincoln Memorial. It will be well worth the trip and wait. See you there at 6:00 P.M. Amazing music and bands. Thank you ARMY!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:04 PM   #532
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Do you doubt this person's policy preferences contrast with the democrats sufficiently for that to be true?
Yes.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:27 PM   #533
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Yes.
Is it that you don't think there are a lot of people who favor trump policies or that you don't think this particular person is one.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:34 PM   #534
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Been fully briefed on earthquake in Southern California. All seems to be very much under control!
Old 4th July 2019, 12:40 PM   #535
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently the tanks & military equipment are all in the closed off perimeter for the president's VIPs and that the general public on the Mall will not be able to see them.
Old 4th July 2019, 02:21 PM   #536
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
We'll see. Code Pink isn't famed for following instructions.

I wonder if the decision mentioned anything about hydrogen.

With appropriate planning it could be considered a donation to the fireworks display.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 02:25 PM   #537
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Apparently the tanks & military equipment are all in the closed off perimeter for the president's VIPs and that the general public on the Mall will not be able to see them.

Why am I not surprised?

$2.5 million for a display of testosterone toys for a handful of his butt-lickers and other sycophants to look at for a few hours.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 02:42 PM   #538
AnonyMoose
Muse

Happy Birthday America! a handful of Americans!
Old 4th July 2019, 02:44 PM   #539
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Why am I not surprised?

$2.5 million for a display of testosterone toys for a handful of his butt-lickers and other sycophants to look at for a few hours.
$2.5m is only the amount diverted from Parks Service accounts.

Even the House Appropriations Committee doesn't know the bill, yet.

Trump still owes D.C. over $7m for the inauguration.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/02/73714...-taxpayer-cost

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 4th July 2019 at 02:46 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 02:51 PM   #540
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I wonder if the decision mentioned anything about hydrogen.

With appropriate planning it could be considered a donation to the fireworks display.
The media reported no helium, but I'm pretty sure the actual intent of the order was 'no floating above ground level'.
Old 4th July 2019, 03:01 PM   #541
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The media reported no helium, but I'm pretty sure the actual intent of the order was 'no floating above ground level'.
Maybe they should fill it with candy and make a giant Trump pinata. That would be a fun and patriotic July 4 activity...
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 03:03 PM   #542
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

Great news for the Republican Party as one of the dumbest & most disloyal men in Congress is “quitting” the Party. No Collusion, No Obstruction! Knew he couldn’t get the nomination to run again in the Great State of Michigan. Already being challenged for his seat. A total loser!
All class.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 03:07 PM   #543
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
All class.
Keep in mind that approximately 40% of your country’s adult population think these posts are ok. Class does not appear to be an important American trait.
Old 4th July 2019, 05:27 PM   #544
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Keep in mind that approximately 40% of your country’s adult population think these posts are ok. Class does not appear to be an important American trait.
Please don't dump me and 60% of Americans into the same cesspool inhabited by that 40%. I find Trump disgusting beyond belief. The mere sight of him makes me nauseated.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:35 PM   #545
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Great news for the Republican Party as one of the dumbest & most disloyal men in Congress is “quitting” the Party. No Collusion, No Obstruction! Knew he couldn’t get the nomination to run again in the Great State of Michigan. Already being challenged for his seat. A total loser!
Once more Trump shows us that he demands personal loyalty from the GOP Congress.

I'm not advocating violence, but the Roman Senate had a word or two for another man who had similar ideas 44 BCE.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:38 PM   #546
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Once more Trump shows us that he demands personal loyalty from the GOP Congress.

I'm not advocating violence, but the Roman Senate had a word or two for another man who had similar ideas 44 BCE.
Et Tu, Stacy?
Old 4th July 2019, 05:44 PM   #547
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's raining on Trump's parade.

I wonder if God will part the waters for his speech.
Old 4th July 2019, 05:59 PM   #548
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Et Tu, Stacy?
Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Old 4th July 2019, 06:03 PM   #549
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets - Congratulations to Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher, his wonderful wife Andrea, and his entire family. You have been through much together. Glad I could help!
This is one of the worst things Trump has done. This is the guy he's praising and defending, from a New York Times story by military reporter Dave Philipps:
Quote:
Someone gave me more than 400 pages of confidential documents from the Navy’s criminal investigation...Page after page gave accounts of indiscriminate shooting and killing. There were jarring details, like a message scrawled on the wall of a sniper nest in Mosul, Iraq, that read, “Eddie G puts the laughter in Manslaughter.”...The report revealed that the chief had been investigated before for shooting a little girl in Afghanistan, but had been cleared of wrongdoing, and later used the killing as a parable for teaching other SEALs, telling them that in war they needed to “accept the fact there would be civilian casualties.” Link
Imagine how despicably vile this man was if even some of his fellow Navy SEALs reached the point where they said, "Enough!"
Quote:
Navy SEAL commandos from Team 7’s Alpha Platoon said they had seen their highly decorated platoon chief commit shocking acts in Iraq. Stabbing a defenseless teenage captive to death. Picking off a school-age girl and an old man from a sniper’s roost. Indiscriminately spraying neighborhoods with rockets and machine-gun fire. And they had spoken up, repeatedly. But their frustration grew as months passed and they saw no sign of official action. Link
Gallagher even attacked a Navy police officer while back in the U.S.:
Quote:
Mr. Gallagher was detained at a traffic stop, where he allegedly tried to run over a Navy police officer; he was released to his commander, and there is no record of punishment in the report. Soon after, he was promoted to chief.
What the dissident SEALs wanted was accountability. They wanted Gallagher to be held accountable for his actions. The U.S. military talks a great game of honor, duty and pride, but the reality is often a lot different. For members of the service who try and hold on to their humanity while trying their best to serve their country honorably, it can be very upsetting and demoralizing. Been there, done that.

Trump publicly defends and praises this maniac. A slap in the face to the SEALs that wanted the Navy to make their Code of Honor real. Compare the way Trump has treated John McCain to his treatment of this murdering dirtbag. To me it's unforgivable.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:04 PM   #550
Stacyhs
Philosopher

It's raining on Trump's parade.

I wonder if God will part the waters for his speech.
What if it got rained out with a downpour? Would that be interpreted by the faithful that God didn't want him to speak?

An acquaintance of mine just tweeted that she's at a MAGA themed wedding of all things. She said the wedding party and guests are wearing MAGA hats. Can you imagine? She said she's at the "outliers" table....non-MAGA hat wearing. I bet the couple won't think their theme is so clever 30 years from now when they look back on their wedding day. Nixon wedding theme anyone?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 4th July 2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 4th July 2019, 06:12 PM   #551
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This is one of the worst things Trump has done. This is the guy he's praising and defending, from a New York Times story by military reporter Dave Philipps:

Imagine how despicably vile this man was if even some of his fellow Navy SEALs reached the point where they said, "Enough!"

Gallagher even attacked a Navy police officer while back in the U.S.:

What the dissident SEALs wanted was accountability. They wanted Gallagher to be held accountable for his actions. The U.S. military talks a great game of honor, duty and pride, but the reality is often a lot different. For members of the service who try and hold on to their humanity while trying their best to serve their country honorably, it can be very upsetting and demoralizing. Been there, done that.

Trump publicly defends and praises this maniac. A slap in the face to the SEALs that wanted the Navy to make their Code of Honor real. Compare the way Trump has treated John McCain to his treatment of this murdering dirtbag. To me it's unforgivable.
Gallagher might find himself waking up dead in a back alley one morning, and nobody will know or care who did it.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:15 PM   #552
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

What if it got rained out with a downpour? Would that be interpreted by the faithful that God didn't want him to speak?

An acquaintance of mine just tweeted that she's at a MAGA themed wedding of all things. She said the wedding party and guests are wearing MAGA hats. Can you imagine? She said she's at the "outliers" table....non-MAGA hat wearing. I bet they couple won't think their theme is so clever 30 years from now when they look back on their wedding day. Nixon wedding theme anyone?
Plenty of people thought it was fun to have themed weddings - flower-children, nudists, underwater, skydiving, on rollercoasters, all pink, all black, all neon yellow, SS uniforms, hillbillies, Prohibition rum-runners...you name it, no matter how ridiculous or offensive, someone wanted it. So MAGA hats is just another of those extremely silly ideas that seemed like a good idea at the time. Laugh at them, not with them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:17 PM   #553
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump should have kept his mouth shut regarding Gallagher, especially before and during the trial. But Trump has absolutely no common sense or decency.
Old 4th July 2019, 06:21 PM   #554
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump should have kept his mouth shut regarding Gallagher, especially before and during the trial. But Trump has absolutely no common sense or decency.
Number of times this has been said.

Old 4th July 2019, 06:26 PM   #555
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Plenty of people thought it was fun to have themed weddings - flower-children, nudists, underwater, skydiving, on rollercoasters, all pink, all black, all neon yellow, SS uniforms, hillbillies, Prohibition rum-runners...you name it, no matter how ridiculous or offensive, someone wanted it. So MAGA hats is just another of those extremely silly ideas that seemed like a good idea at the time. Laugh at them, not with them.
Oh, believe me, I AM laughing at them. My acquaintance also said "They actually have a "Trump" gun, instead of a guest book a petition for the Heartbeat law".

Nothing like politicizing your wedding day!
Old 4th July 2019, 07:04 PM   #556
Cain
Straussian

Trump Tweets

Congratulations to Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher, his wonderful wife Andrea, and his entire family. You have been through much together. Glad I could help!
The response is similar to OJ's. "Yes! One of our guys got away with it."
Old 4th July 2019, 07:29 PM   #557
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
"I like people who weren't captured." - Donald Trump.
He also likes people who murder little Arab girls and old Arab men.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Who'da ya like.jpg (112.9 KB, 18 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:54 PM   #558
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Man... The US is amazing! We apparently had airports and airplanes around the beginning of our country... long, long before the Wright brothers were alive. According to Trump history.

In other news... ICE Detention Center: We're not responsible for staff sexually abusing migrants. Well, I learned something new. Despite all the reasons not to report the people who have direct power over you to their friends, about half of the claims of sexual assault/rape in ICE custody are towards the government employees, rather than fellow detainees. In short, this is probably a rather dramatic undercount. Also, we've got people seriously arguing that detainees who have literally committed no illegal actions can be legally treated worse than convicted criminals, because detention centers aren't officially jails, so the rules that apply to jails don't apply to them.
Old 4th July 2019, 08:17 PM   #559
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What if it got rained out with a downpour? Would that be interpreted by the faithful that God didn't want him to speak? ...
Apparently there was a delay caused by a downpour.

It wouldn't phase a MAGA worshiper. Same with future guilt or embarrassment, probably won't be that common.
Old 4th July 2019, 08:24 PM   #560
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Apparently there was a delay caused by a downpour.

It wouldn't phase a MAGA worshiper. Same with future guilt or embarrassment, probably won't be that common.
It was broadcast with Trump behind rain-covered Plexiglass, apparently.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics