ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 18th July 2019, 07:55 PM   #1801
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Right on cue!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 08:06 PM   #1802
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Right on cue!
Nah. This was a drive by. Babby is lucky his all caps and hysterical pose caught my attention. The political consequences? What, a Supreme Court justice or two? Suck it, progs.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 08:36 PM   #1803
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No, that's not the issue. It's the governor.
Darn. The news talked about the issue was in San Juan...the capital....duh.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 09:34 PM   #1804
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nah. This was a drive by. Babby is lucky his all caps and hysterical pose caught my attention. The political consequences? What, a Supreme Court justice or two? Suck it, progs.
I may have missed it, but exactly what is your take on his tweet regarding "go back" and his follow up claim that he doesn't like the "send her back" chant and that he stopped it quickly?
Lying or not?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 10:09 PM   #1805
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I may have missed it, but exactly what is your take on his tweet regarding "go back" and his follow up claim that he doesn't like the "send her back" chant and that he stopped it quickly?
Lying or not?
Not just lying, slime bellowed putrid racism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th July 2019 at 10:23 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 10:22 PM   #1806
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Nuclear war when?
Straw man now!

LOL!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 10:38 PM   #1807
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Nuclear war when?
I agree with you that having President Donald Trump is better than the Earth being a nuclear wasteland.

But is is really too much to ask for a little more than that?

Also: the two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 18th July 2019, 11:26 PM   #1808
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I agree with you that having President Donald Trump is better than the Earth being a nuclear wasteland.

But is is really too much to ask for a little more than that?

Also: the two aren't mutually exclusive.
I must admit that Trump has exceeded my expectations, in that he hasn't started a nuclear war...

yet.

Last edited by rdaneel; 19th July 2019 at 12:30 AM.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 11:30 PM   #1809
Pixel42
Schr鐰inger's cat

Just read this post on another forum and thought it quite insightful.

Quote:
The key to our society, is that we establish a set of rules to govern behaviour. Play within those rules, everyone does fine, some people do very very well. Some not so much. But playing within the rules, you have to pay your dues and compete on a level playing field and earn your position.

The truth is that world's fastest man doesn't reach supersonic speeds, the strongest man can't lift a school bus, and the tallest basketball player is shorter than a 12 story building. The reality is that we're all median humans, and our diversity exists within very narrow ranges. Being at the far high end can result in advantages, even dramatically disproportionate advantages.... but not cosmic level. So normally, the pool of talented and qualified Presidential candidates is small - people who paid a lot of dues, accomplished a lot, men and women who are smart, have personal qualities.

That sounds like a lot of work given the relatively narrow margins. Is there a way around that?

Sure thing - 中中 the rules. Don't play by them. Then you make serious progress by leaping past all those shmucks who work within the system and play by the rules.

This was why Lee Atwater was so successful. He broke the rules, formulated the Southern Strategy, ran on coded racism, he was a cheap hustler, a shill, a con man, a crook... And he made a President.

Karl Rove, another guy, same thing. Didn't play by the rules. Won bigly.

Hitler, Mussolini, Lucky Luciano, Pablo Escobar... there are big rewards for going outside established norms and bypassing the accepted limitations of proper conduct.

That's Trump. Campaigning by sociopathy. Governance by sociopathy. He didn't win the primaries because of the superiority and nuance of his policies. He wasn't a master of words, articulate as Obama. He got attention for talking about the size of his 中中 during a debate, by throwing a water bottle around and mocking an opponent for sweating, he played to racism, he played to sexism and the ugliest sides of Americans. He made promises he never gave a 中中 about. He lied unapologetically, and did whatever he wanted.

He's the Chimp throwing rocks through stained glass windows. It's easy. All you have to do, is be willing to pick up that rock.

Break the rules and win big.... well, those rules start to fall apart. Society begins to degrade. The shared set of boundaries and proscriptions that allow systems and societies to operate begin to degrade. Everyone starts to realize its so much easier to just pick up that rock and throw it. And so they start doing that.

And eventually, its nothing but chimps throwing rocks, and the world is just reduced to brightly coloured broken glass, broken smaller and smaller, shards flinging about.

Well hey, that's Donald Trump's Congress. And in Mexico and Colombia, that was the hellhole the Cartels made. In Germany it was fascism and anti-Semitism in full flower.

That's how you win bigly over people who are smarter, kinder, worked harder, thought more clearly, paid more dues, and fought by the rules. And that's how you turn the world into a 中中 show and a distorted, vile reflection of your own face.

It only works, and it only keeps on working, if the rest of the people, the rest of the world, continues to obey the rules, and continues to let you keep breaking them.
Old 19th July 2019, 12:04 AM   #1810
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It's nice to see that his cultists have abandoned the whole "we're not racist!" thing and just started more or less shouting "Go back to Africa!" like they've wanted.

On the other hand...

Greenvillle's not exactly a huge city, with a strong police force, and it does have a fairly strong black community, some of whom I know. I'm a bit worried that these Klanish maniacs will go out and decide to attack people for not being white. Most of them won't, of course - they're the sort that sneak up later to pose in front of the lynched body and collect a knuckle, but too weak to actually do anything to a living person.
But it won't be because they are non white it will be because they are not true Americans....
Old 19th July 2019, 01:38 AM   #1811
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I'm glad to see the news is finally using the word 'lie' instead of euphemisms when it comes to Trump's... well...lies. Today Trump stated that he was "not happy" with the "send them back" chant used at his rally last night and that he stopped the chant. Both are outright lies and the CNN News anchor Brianna Keilar said "He lied". The video proves he lied:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-s...k-rally-chant/

I guess it's good that they finally got over their timidity, but I'm not sure how it will change anything at this stage of the game.

The headline;
Lying Liar In Chief POTUS Spews Lies Today from His Penn. Ave. White Castle of Lying Lies.

Response from the electorate?

"Huh. Must be a day that ends in 'Y'."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 19th July 2019 at 01:49 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 01:40 AM   #1812
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Today, on behalf of the American people, I received an American flag that flew aboard a ship carrying the first waves of U.S. Service Members to land in Normandy...
Did his hands burn?

Probably not. But after they touched it the flag should have been. Burned, that is.

Hard to think of anything that could have desecrated it more profoundly.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 01:44 AM   #1813
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Except that it's being portrayed as patriotic Americans taking a stand to protect their country from radical communist Islamists.

<snip>

Godless Islamists?

What'll they think of next?

Old 19th July 2019, 01:52 AM   #1814
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Godless Islamists?

What'll they think of next?
Rather like the Germans with their compound words and names (Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizit酹enhauptbetriebs werkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft), right wingers simply throw all things that they don't like into a big pot - an insult gumbo if you will.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 01:59 AM   #1815
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I am pleased to announce that it is my intention to nominate Gene Scalia as the new Secretary of Labor. Gene has led a life of great success in the legal and labor field and is highly respected not only as a lawyer, but as a lawyer with great experience....

....working with labor and everyone else. He will be a great member of an Administration that has done more in the first 2 years than perhaps any Administration in history!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 03:20 AM   #1816
Armitage72
Illuminator

"I am pleased to announce this man's new position. LOOK AT HOW GREAT I AM!!!"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 03:49 AM   #1817
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Lying or not?
theprestige and Zig have been tag-teaming in over in the Dems Trying to Prevent more AOCs thread. It's a sad sight. It boils down to the old tried and true..... "Show me how that's racist. Did he say that in exact words? Hateful, sure, but can you really call it "racist". You fail!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 19th July 2019 at 04:31 AM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:01 AM   #1818
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Just read this post on another forum and thought it quite insightful.

Lee Atwater went on to be a senior partner for Black, Manafort, Stone and Kelly.

Yes, that Manafort.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:10 AM   #1819
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Lee Atwater went on to be a senior partner for Black, Manafort, Stone and Kelly.

Yes, that Manafort.
and that (Roger) Stone.
Old 19th July 2019, 04:13 AM   #1820
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Did they ever stop? We have more than one on ISF.
I genuinely doubt we have any posters sent by the GOP. We have some GOP-supporting trolls, but they're hobbyists.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:14 AM   #1821
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Racist tweets leading to chants of "Send her back" at political rallies? Is that not disturbing to you?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:28 AM   #1822
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
theprestige and Zig have been tag-teaming in over in the Dems Trying to Prevent more AOCs thread. It's a sad sight. It boils down to the old tried and true..... "Show me how that's racist. Did he say that in exact word? Hateful, sure, but can you really call it "racist". You fail!"
Well, xenophobia is just fine. It's not racism, after all.

Trump would've used the same strategy against any second generation immigrant (or first), so not racist. (Again, I'm not aware that Pressley is a second generation immigrant. If not, then I guess amend the above to something including African Americans generally.)
Old 19th July 2019, 04:39 AM   #1823
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Racist tweets leading to chants of "Send her back" at political rallies? Is that not disturbing to you?
It isn't. How many more non-answers do you need to get before you realize that, like Trump, theprestige is exactly who he says he is?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:42 AM   #1824
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
It isn't. How many more non-answers do you need to get before you realize that, like Trump, theprestige is exactly who he says he is?
Racists
Old 19th July 2019, 04:50 AM   #1825
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Sorry, who does he say he is?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:55 AM   #1826
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Sorry, who does he say he is?
"the least racist person"
Old 19th July 2019, 05:00 AM   #1827
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh, ok. I didn't catch the sarcasm, there.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:01 AM   #1828
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

How does xenophobia differ from racism, functionally?
Old 19th July 2019, 05:04 AM   #1829
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Red face

Considering how much energy I spend debating the pedantic difference between the two, there probably is no functional difference.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:12 AM   #1830
Belz...
Fiend God

Hmm... well, there's a lot of overlap, for sure. But they're not quite the same. Xenophobes wouldn't probably have it against african-americans, since they've been there for so long, for instance, while they're have a problem with more of those damned Irish coming into the country, etc.

I guess it comes down to hating ethnic groups vs hating nationalities, in a way.

Old 19th July 2019, 05:23 AM   #1831
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It really doesn't all that much. That's why I'm not getting baited into the "Oh so it's racism for black people but xenophobia for white people HA YOU FELL INTO MY CLEVER TRAP!" argument certain people think they are oh-so-cleverly setting up.

It's a minor bit of linguistic nuance, nothing more.

The irony the only context in which it is even halfway meaningful here is that Trump is trying to excuse his racism with xenophobia which is... odd.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 19th July 2019 at 05:55 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:29 AM   #1832
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Both are rooted in hatred of "the other", they're just slightly different in how they're applied. In theory, anyway. In practice there's so much overlap the distinction is rarely necessary.
Old 19th July 2019, 05:47 AM   #1833
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Forgotten when the GOP were not a cult of **** goblins slave to a big orange ********?.
What is remarkable to me about Colin Powell’s endorsement of Barack Obama on Meet the Press was its sincerity and the form of its reasoning. He addressed issues, not personalities. He engaged in analysis, not demonization. After the Rove years of Goebbels-like propaganda, guilt by association, and innuendo, Powell’s appearance brought fresh air into the nation’s living rooms the way flinging the windows open in March for spring cleaning does.
https://www.juancole.com/2008/10/pow...st-moment.html
Old 19th July 2019, 06:19 AM   #1834
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thomas “the Chin” Friedman, a weak and pathetic sort of guy, writes columns for The New York Times in between rounds of his favorite game, golf. Two weeks ago, while speaking to a friend on his cell phone, I unfortunately ended up speaking to Friedman. We spoke for a while and...

....he could not have been nicer or more respectful to your favorite President, me. Then I saw the column he wrote, “Trump Will Be Re-elected, Won’t He?” He called me a Racist, which I am not, and said Rhode Island went from economically bad to great in 5 years because the.....

....Governor of the State did a good job. That may be true but she could not have done it without the tremendous economic success of our Country & the turnaround that my Administration has caused. Really Nasty to me in his average I.Q. Columns, kissed my a.. on the call. Phony!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:20 AM   #1835
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Because of the faulty thought process we have going for us at the Federal Reserve, we pay much higher interest rates than countries that are no match for us economically. In other words, our interest costs are much higher than other countries, when they should be lower. Correct!
Old 19th July 2019, 06:29 AM   #1836
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweets

Thomas the Chin Friedman, a weak and pathetic sort of guy, writes columns for The New York Times in between rounds of his favorite game, golf.
I'm sure there's a medical encyclopedia of psychology somewhere with a picture of Donald Trump for the entry on "projection".

Old 19th July 2019, 06:31 AM   #1837
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You know forget politics can we get a President that doesn't play golf so we can stop hearing about that game?

I'm surprised "What's your handicap?" isn't part of the debates at this point.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:41 AM   #1838
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Because of the faulty thought process we have going for us at the Federal Reserve, we pay much higher interest rates than countries that are no match for us economically. In other words, our interest costs are much higher than other countries, when they should be lower. Correct!
I thought that interest rates were used as a means to control inflation in stable economies. If an economy is going very well then interest rates are edged up to prevent overheating, if the economy starts to flag then lower them to give a financial shot in the arm.

Seems that President Trump is calling for interest rates to be dropped at the wrong time - unless the intention is to perpetuate the bubble created by the tax cuts.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:42 AM   #1839
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Hey! I think he might have gotten a fact right. Some major developed countries do have lower central bank rates than the US.

https://www.global-rates.com/interes...ral-banks.aspx
Old 19th July 2019, 06:45 AM   #1840
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Hey! I think he might have gotten a fact right. Some major developed countries do have lower central bank rates than the US.

https://www.global-rates.com/interes...ral-banks.aspx
That's true. In the UK our interest rates are still low because we're attempting to recover economically from the effects of the 2008 crash, 9 years of government austerity and the economic effects of the Brexit referendum.

OTOH the US economy has been growing strongly for the best part of a decade - that would tend towards higher, rather than lower interest rates to keep inflationary pressures in check.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics