ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags obituaries , presidential candidates , Ross Perot

Old 9th July 2019, 02:41 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Giant Sucking Sound

Ross Perot, billionaire tycoon and 2-time presidential candidate, dies at 89

Originally Posted by CNN
Ross Perot, the billionaire tycoon who mounted two unsuccessful third-party presidential campaigns in the 1990s, died Tuesday, family spokesman James Fuller confirmed to CNN. He was 89.
Perot died after a five-month battle with leukemia, Fuller said.

A billionaire by his mid-50s after he sold a controlling interest in the data processing business he founded to General Motors for $2.5 billion, Perot's foray into presidential politics made him one of the more colorful political figures of the 1990s.

His Texas twang, populist platform -- he memorably railed against the North American Free Trade Agreement, warning of a "giant sucking sound" of American jobs to other countries if passed -- and frequent TV appearances brought him wide recognition, and his 1992 campaign, in which he garnered nearly 19% of the vote and finished third behind Bill Clinton and incumbent President George H.W. Bush, remains one of the most successful third-party bids in American history.

For years, Bush blamed Perot for his defeat, saying in a 2012 HBO documentary that he believed Perot "cost me the election." Election experts and scholarly research, however, has challenged that theory...
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/09/pol...ead/index.html
Old 9th July 2019, 02:55 PM   #2
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

"If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it might just be a spastic monkey with flat feet" - Dana Carvey playing Ross Perot
Old 9th July 2019, 03:01 PM   #3
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

RIP.

Ross Perot was the first Presidential candidate I ever "supported." Haha, when I was in first grade, I saw him talking on TV and decided I liked him. My parents thought it was cute, so they bought me a little Perot poster to hang on the wall of my bedroom.

A few semesters ago, I did a PowerPoint presentation on his campaign. It really was impressive what he managed to do as a third-party candidate, whatever you think of him otherwise.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 08:01 PM   #4
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CNN
Ross Perot, the billionaire tycoon who mounted two unsuccessful third-party presidential campaigns in the 1990s, died Tuesday, family spokesman James Fuller confirmed to CNN.
Thanks, CNN, not many people know that!
Old 9th July 2019, 08:14 PM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

He was a rich, egotistical twat who would have run the country as if it was his kingdom. Thank goodness we've never had a president like that!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 08:36 PM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I remember a few years back somebody wrote a column entitled "When Ross Perot Calls," and I immediately thought, the proper response is "I'm all ears."

He was an interesting guy, probably the last deficit hawk.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 10:28 PM   #7
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Good riddance. I hope he rots in hell for all eternety.

Last edited by Lambchops; 9th July 2019 at 10:29 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 05:13 AM   #8
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
He was a rich, egotistical twat who would have run the country as if it was his kingdom. Thank goodness we've never had a president like that!
Wasn't his schtick that he'd run the country like his business, too? Except that he actually could run a business.

I remember liking that idea at the time. I've grown up since then.
Old 10th July 2019, 07:36 AM   #9
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Wasn't his schtick that he'd run the country like his business, too? Except that he actually could run a business.

I remember liking that idea at the time. I've grown up since then.
It is extra weird given his feelings about debt. If a business could borrow like the government, they would.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 07:42 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Fun fact: Two of Perot's employees were arrested in Iran, just before the revolution broke. He sent a team of volunteers from his company to Iran to try to either work out a deal to get them released on bail, or break them out if the Iranian authorities were intransigent.

In the event, the deal stalled, and the jailbreak turned out to be unfeasible. But the revolution broke, and an Iranian employee of the company exploited the mob rushing the prison to locate and retrieve the two Perot employees. Along with the other Perot employees already trapped in Iran, or there to help them escape, they were able to flee the country. The Iranian employee, Rashid, escaped with them.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 07:52 AM   #11
Armitage72
Illuminator

I checked Google News. Almost all of the headlines are thing like "Ross Perot, billionaire tycoon and 2-time Presidential candidate, dies at 89" or "Former independent Presidential candidate Ross Perot dies aged 89".

The Fox News headline is "Ross Perot donated to Trump's re-election campaign before death: report".
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 08:07 AM   #12
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Rest In Peace, Intriguing Person.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 08:08 AM   #13
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Yeah, like I said, I was 6 when I was a fan. Lol.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 10:27 AM   #14
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I appreciate the amusement he provided...

"I'm Ross and you're the boss"

"This dog don't hunt"
Old 10th July 2019, 10:53 AM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I appreciate the amusement he provided...

"I'm Ross and you're the boss"

"This dog don't hunt"
"This Dog Don't Hunt" is a old,old, southern expression.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 10:54 AM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Good riddance. I hope he rots in hell for all eternety.
I get the impression some people here basically hate anybody who makes a lot of money.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 10:58 AM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I get the impression some people here basically hate anybody who makes a lot of money.
Perhaps it's not just the money. Perhaps there is animosity toward the very wealthy who seek power as well.
Old 10th July 2019, 11:19 AM   #18
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't hear many complaints about Warren Buffet, and he makes a lot of money.

Maybe it's not so much the money that is the problem?
Old 10th July 2019, 11:45 AM   #19
applecorped
Suspended

Sorry I thought this thread was going to be about Kamala Harris never mind, carry on.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:33 AM   #20
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I worked the big 3-way debate here at the university back then.... Which was also the one where Ralph Nader and his supporters...And every fringe group you could think of.... All showed up to protest. Even Fred Phelps from the Westboro church showed up.
Quite a show.....

All I remember of Perot was his mantra.....”All you have to do is.....”
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:42 PM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I worked the big 3-way debate here at the university back then.... Which was also the one where Ralph Nader and his supporters...And every fringe group you could think of.... All showed up to protest. Even Fred Phelps from the Westboro church showed up.
Quite a show.....

All I remember of Perot was his mantra.....”All you have to do is.....”
That's all? First, he was at least partially responsible for Dan Quayle no longer being one heartbeat from the Presidency.
But more important, his company made the greatest commercial in the history of television! Even if he wasn't running it by then.
Old 11th July 2019, 06:18 PM   #22
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I checked Google News. Almost all of the headlines are thing like "Ross Perot, billionaire tycoon and 2-time Presidential candidate, dies at 89" or "Former independent Presidential candidate Ross Perot dies aged 89".

The Fox News headline is "Ross Perot donated to Trump's re-election campaign before death: report".

People often stop looking when they find what they want.

Billionaire Ross Perot, who ran twice for president, dead at 89

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bil...ent-dead-at-89
Old 11th July 2019, 08:17 PM   #23
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

FOX News initial report was wrong, too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D'oh!!!.jpg (53.4 KB, 10 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 08:19 PM   #24
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Sorry I thought this thread was going to be about Kamala Harris never mind, carry on.
A very odd thought indeed.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics