ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th July 2019, 06:31 AM   #41
plague311
Great minds think...

I made a post about this on Facebook the other day expressing my shock that people can be bothered to give a flying **** about a mermaid's color.

One section of my rant went something like, "Do you know what color mermaids actually are? They're '**** you they aren't real' color."

I stand by that. They can be any damn color they want as they don't exist.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:34 AM   #42
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've read a good half dozen complaints ranging from off hand comments to full on paragraph long rants that the creatures in Game of Thrones are referred to as dragons when they are clearly Wyrm (or Drakes or something other variation on same) as if there is some sort of official classifications for fictional creatures.

Jesus Christ people it's not like they called them Scottish Terriers.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:38 AM   #43
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm surprised there's not more controversy over the remake being a horror story because Ariel has to continually murder people to steal their legs and lungs, exchanging for fresh ones when they start to rot.
Old 11th July 2019, 06:44 AM   #44
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
She isn't Caucasian, but Western European.

I see pandering and I don't like it. Sure the naysayers can make this about how grown men are making too big a deal of an early 90s cartoon, but at its root it's the tokenism that bothers me.

There was a black princess introduced in 2008 or so, and they could just as easily introduce a story of a black mermaid, perhaps from another ocean.
How can a merwoman be european?

Shouldn't she be fish coloured?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:46 AM   #45
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Just another example of a US made movie playing it loose with the historical facts.
Why are people surprised? Happens all time after time. Look at 'Robert the Bruce'.
Historical facts?

Did I miss the sarcasm?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:46 AM   #46
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"I just think it would have been cooler with a Merman." - Hadley, Cabin in the Woods
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:47 AM   #47
Worm
Master Poster

The character in the original book is explicitly described as...well, white I guess.

"The little mermaid leaned her white arms on the edge of the vessel"
"...holding out her white hands toward...

etc.

However, I'm not familiar with the overall text, so I wouldn't be stunned to find out that Disney had already changed any number of aspects of the story that actually make a substantive difference. Early stories like this are usually much darker and layered than simple adaptations carry across.

Even though she was explicitly described as 'white', I'm not sure it actually makes a difference in terms of the narrative arc?

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:57 AM   #48
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm surprised there's not more controversy over the remake being a horror story because Ariel has to continually murder people to steal their legs and lungs, exchanging for fresh ones when they start to rot.
Ariel is a Deep One?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:58 AM   #49
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
The character in the original book is explicitly described as...well, white I guess.

etc.

However, I'm not familiar with the overall text, so I wouldn't be stunned to find out that Disney had already changed any number of aspects of the story that actually make a substantive difference. Early stories like this are usually much darker and layered than simple adaptations carry across.

Even though she was explicitly described as 'white', I'm not sure it actually makes a difference in terms of the narrative arc?
Two words: Sea foam.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:59 AM   #50
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Ariel is a Deep One?
Her mom was one of the liver fluke monsters from that episode of X-Files.
Old 11th July 2019, 07:04 AM   #51
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've read a good half dozen complaints ranging from off hand comments to full on paragraph long rants that the creatures in Game of Thrones are referred to as dragons when they are clearly Wyrm (or Drakes or something other variation on same) as if there is some sort of official classifications for fictional creatures.

Yeah because their wings are also their front legs. That's a D&D thing. It was never an official dracology classification.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:06 AM   #52
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah because their wings are also their front legs. That's a D&D thing. It was never an official dracology classification.
No, that's nerds with far too much time on their hands.

D&D dragons came in numerous shapes, including no wings and multiple heads. And even if it had clear classifications it's a ******* game, you idiots! I like it too, but get OUT of the basement now and then. It's not real life.

/rant
Old 11th July 2019, 07:11 AM   #53
plague311
Great minds think...

It was written in 1837 by a man in Denmark. Were there even POC in Denmark back then? /sarc

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:12 AM   #54
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

They dropped the most important character in the Aladdin remake.
Which was?
Old 11th July 2019, 07:12 AM   #55
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Ariel is a Deep One?
Well, if she lives on the abyssal plane, that pretty much puts the kibosh on her being European. Or from any other continent, in fact.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:27 AM   #56
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
No, that's nerds with far too much time on their hands.

D&D dragons came in numerous shapes, including no wings and multiple heads. And even if it had clear classifications it's a ******* game, you idiots! I like it too, but get OUT of the basement now and then. It's not real life.

/rant
Well you can still discuss fictional rules. Just not cross-franchise.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:28 AM   #57
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It was written in 1837 by a man in Denmark. Were there even POC in Denmark back then? /sarc
Black Peter was introduced 1850.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:34 AM   #58
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Well you can still discuss fictional rules. Just not cross-franchise.
Except for GURPS...which does answer the question of whether or not a guided missile can take out a Dragon.

As an aside, I was impressed that the GURPS Horror source book actually included weapon stats for a Garden WeaselTM.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:03 AM   #59
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Not at all DND dragons have seperate wings from front legs, like heraldry the creatuyres that combine the two are Wyverns not dragons, though they are called such in game of thrones and skyrim. DND always had dragons as dragons(though of course they had many varieties, but wings as front limbs was still wyvern).

This distinction goes back centuries in heraldry.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 08:04 AM   #60
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Except for GURPS...which does answer the question of whether or not a guided missile can take out a Dragon.

As an aside, I was impressed that the GURPS Horror source book actually included weapon stats for a Garden WeaselTM.
ANd of course underwire bra.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 08:08 AM   #61
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Not at all DND dragons have seperate wings from front legs, like heraldry the creatuyres that combine the two are Wyverns not dragons, though they are called such in game of thrones and skyrim. DND always had dragons as dragons(though of course they had many varieties, but wings as front limbs was still wyvern).

What is the term for a dragon whose front legs are each a dragon, whose wings are also dragons, and whose hind legs are human legs, and has a snake for a tail (and the snake's tongue is another dragon)? Because there was one of those on the subway and it was rudely manspreading and taking up two seats.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:09 AM   #62
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What is the term for a dragon whose front legs are each a dragon, whose wings are also dragons, and whose hind legs are human legs, and has a snake for a tail (and the snake's tongue is another dragon)?
The correct term is Super-Trogdor, I think.

Old 11th July 2019, 08:22 AM   #63
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
This smacks of tokenism.
You have to start somewhere.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:23 AM   #64
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Makes you wonder how many Merpeople have lost out on the role because non actual merpeople have been given them.
Good point. It's just like casting white people wearing blackface as black characters.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 08:24 AM   #65
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Good point. It's just like casting white people wearing blackface as black characters.
Yeah laugh all you want. We're at the point where if some "Otherkin" made such a complaint people taking it seriously wouldn't surprise me.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:25 AM   #66
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I’m offended that Disney keeps making live action remakes instead of developing good new material.
That seems to be a problem with the entire film industry. The money people seem to think a remake, sequel or knockoff of something that was successful is less risky than original material.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 08:26 AM   #67
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
This seems to match my impression

Never seen this site before though, so forgive me if I am agreeing with some weird far right thing

Edit: Help if I put link in

https://reason.com/2019/07/09/ariel-...-halle-bailey/
From the link:
Quote:
The #NotMyAriel controversy is mostly fake news.
I agree, regardless if it is all over the internet arthwollipot, in this case a link does indeed matter.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:57 AM   #68
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
That seems to be a problem with the entire film industry. The money people seem to think a remake, sequel or knockoff of something that was successful is less risky than original material.
And they're right. Recent attempts to throw money at more original content haven't exactly shaken their beliefs. Seems like the average moviegoer prefers to buy into an existing and known franchise.

Old 11th July 2019, 09:25 AM   #69
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Why are isn’t she silver like any other fish?
Have you never snorkeled on reefs?
Old 11th July 2019, 09:29 AM   #70
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Yeah, some people think that fictional creatures actually have taxonomy. I believe they count the wings and the legs. They need to get over it.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 09:29 AM   #71
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Just another example of a US made movie playing it loose with the historical facts.
Why are people surprised? Happens all time after time. Look at 'Robert the Bruce'.
Old 11th July 2019, 09:32 AM   #72
3point14
Pi

Well???? Can it???

I assume it depends on both the dragon and the missile?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 09:45 AM   #73
Elagabalus
Illuminator

The only question I have, "Is she hot?"
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 09:59 AM   #74
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Well???? Can it???

I assume it depends on both the dragon and the missile?
Pretty much, yeah
Old 11th July 2019, 10:31 AM   #75
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
She isn't Caucasian, but Western European.

But she falls in love with the prince, so it must have been a monarchy, i.e. she can't have been French or Irish.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How can a merwoman be european?

Never heard of territorial waters?

etc.

However, when exposed to sunlight, even the kind of sunlight we get in Scandinavia, she turned pretty black.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:24 AM   #76
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

But the lack of distinction goes back even farther. Medieval European dragons were always depicted with two legs (when they weren't simply giant snakes) until around 1425. The word "wyvern," based on "wyver" or viper, began to be used for the older two-legged dragons only after four-legged dragons became common in artistic representations. "Wyvern" isn't attested until 1610. "Wyver," in heraldic context, is first attested in 1599.

"Wyrm," mentioned up-thread, is an Old English word that can mean worm, snake, or dragon, depending on context. The dragon in Beowulf is called both "wyrm" and "draca."
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:28 AM   #77
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
But the lack of distinction goes back even farther. Medieval European dragons were always depicted with two legs (when they weren't simply giant snakes) until around 1425. The word "wyvern," based on "wyver" or viper, began to be used for the older two-legged dragons only after four-legged dragons became common in artistic representations. "Wyvern" isn't attested until 1610. "Wyver," in heraldic context, is first attested in 1599.

"Wyrm," mentioned up-thread, is an Old English word that can mean worm, snake, or dragon, depending on context. The dragon in Beowulf is called both "wyrm" and "draca."
Yea it is kind of like how people think a specific knife design is reflected by the work knife in a different language. Sax, tanto and so on are just words for knife in different languages.
Old 11th July 2019, 11:31 AM   #78
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by dann View Post
But she falls in love with the prince, so it must have been a monarchy, i.e. she can't have been French or Irish.
It depends when the story is set.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:39 AM   #79
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

I don't care about Ariel's skin colour. I do however doubt Melissa McCarthy's ability to play a decent Ursula.
Then again, I'm not going to see the movie anyway. Make something new Disney.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:50 AM   #80
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
The only question I have, "Is she hot?"
Despite the tendency to portray mermaids has having scales, clearly they are mammals. They have hair, but more importantly, they also have prominent mammary glands. Their tail fins are generally portrayed as being oriented horizontally, like dolphins and whales, and not vertically as fish are. So mermaids are really more of a human/cetacean hybrid than a human/fish hybrid.

This means they are warm blooded, so she may indeed be hot. But probably not as hot as harpies, which are human/bird hybrids, since birds maintain even higher internal body temperatures than mammals. Harpies be smokin'.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events