ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th July 2019, 08:05 PM   #161
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Perhaps she merely overcame her fish background by dint of rigorous deportment and elocution lessons? Yes, perhaps Ariel was a graduate of a dolphinishing school.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 08:46 PM   #162
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Perhaps she merely overcame her fish background by dint of rigorous deportment and elocution lessons? Yes, perhaps Ariel was a graduate of a dolphinishing school.
Pfffft! This entire thread is just one big phishing expedition!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 06:30 AM   #163
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well you can still discuss fictional rules. Just not cross-franchise.
Yes, if you cross the franchises all life as we know it will end and every molecule in our bodies explode at the speed of light.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 08:42 AM   #164
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Isn't this cultural appropriation by black people? Seems to be a lot of it going on - black Ancient Greek heroes, Julius Caesars, Medieval European royalty etc'.
Old 15th July 2019, 08:44 AM   #165
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Isn't this cultural appropriation by black people? Seems to be a lot of it going on - black Ancient Greek heroes, Julius Caesars, Medieval European royalty etc'.
*Very slowly* Mermaids... don't.... exist.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 08:48 AM   #166
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
They exist in European mythology (ETA >> and hence European culture and story-telling).

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 15th July 2019 at 08:50 AM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 08:52 AM   #167
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I have no dog in the race.

I just don't like seeing my childhood shows getting rewritten to appease the politically correct base.
Yeah but in this case does it alter the character in any significant way? I mean if the next James Bond works for the Australian secret service I could see your point, but skin colour in this particular instance? Who cares?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 08:59 AM   #168
plague311
Great minds think...

They exist in European mythology (ETA >> and hence European culture and story-telling).
I feel like "who cares?" is the appropriate response. They aren't real. If there were evidence that Merpeople were white, then I'd be in agreement. There isn't, because they're fake. I would also hold this opinion if Pinocchio were changed to black. This happens in comics ad nauseum and the same people whining for that are the same people whining about this. Captain America is black now....dun dun dun! How will we go on?!?!!?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:01 AM   #169
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

...... but if they did........
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:09 AM   #170
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
...... but if they did........
I would think that "if they did" they'd have merpeople of every color just like our civilization. They'd like in different climates (closer to the surface, deeper in the surface, some even sit on land in some tales) and that would cause them to have different shades. Seems almost common senseish.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:13 AM   #171
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You can't special plead a "what if they really existed" on a biologically impossible creature.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 15th July 2019 at 09:23 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:19 AM   #172
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Forget skin color, what about blood color? Perhaps mermaids have blue blood like horseshoe crabs!
Old 15th July 2019, 09:20 AM   #173
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I heard from a very credible source that the fact that Ariel is African American proves that not Poseidon, but Black Manta is her real father.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:27 AM   #174
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I heard from a very credible source that the fact that Ariel is African American proves that not Poseidon, but Black Manta is her real father.
You realize what you are suggesting here??

That would ONLY be possible if Disney also bought the DC franchise. What horrors would await us then?
Best never to mention that again.

On the other hand,dark skinned merpeople make perfect sense, most of the ocean is dark, so it's good camouflage.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:29 AM   #175
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
You realize what you are suggesting here??

That would ONLY be possible if Disney also bought the DC franchise. What horrors would await us then?
Best never to mention that again.
It's going to happen. Walt's ghost demands it.

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
On the other hand,dark skinned merpeople make perfect sense, most of the ocean is dark, so it's good camouflage.
Black back, white belly.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:37 AM   #176
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

No.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:39 AM   #177
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

But not exclusively.

Quote:
Mermaids appear in the folklore of many cultures worldwide, including the Near East, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:41 AM   #178
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Mermaids are just what Manatees look like to horny, delirious sailors.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:41 AM   #179
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ariel isn't a manatee mistaken for a hot chick by a sad, desperate, lonely, incredibly drunk sailor. As a former sailor I protest this act of cultural vandalism.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:43 AM   #180
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay... that was creepy in the timing.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:53 AM   #181
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Of course they do! Would Animal Planet lie to me?
Old 15th July 2019, 10:10 AM   #182
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Of course they do! Would Animal Planet lie to me?
Would you believe I actually liked that special? And the dragon one as well. It was perfectly find speculative fiction, the science being so soft you could spread it toast not withstanding.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:21 AM   #183
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Manatees or womanatees, depending on the preferences of the sailor in question.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:23 AM   #184
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Manatees or womanatees, depending on the preferences of the sailor in question.
To use the wise words of the Bishop of Bath and Wells:
"Animal, Mineral or Vegetable - I do anything to anything.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:32 AM   #185
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I wouldn't touch a merwhateva myself. No matter what hue they'll all have crabs.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 10:35 AM   #186
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Herman Melville described Manatees as seen in foggy weather, from a distance or in murky water. He said they look remarkably human in those conditions.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:38 AM   #187
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Herman Melville described Manatees as seen in foggy weather, from a distance or in murky water. He said they look remarkably human in those conditions.
I actually legit wonder if the "manatee" thing was ever actually literally true or it was just a running gag that got turned into "They were being super-serious guys I mean it" by people that really, really need to think everyone in the past was super stupid and gullible.

As I wonder if this really did sort of begin and end with two European sailors in the new world looking over the side of their ship and one going "Ya know Ted... from up hear those sea cows look almost... ya know" *makes hourglass with is hand.* and his buddy going "Yeah I'm sure you'd bang one if given the chance."
Old 15th July 2019, 10:42 AM   #188
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I actually legit wonder if the "manatee" thing was ever actually literally true or it was just a running gag that got turned into "They were being super-serious guys I mean it" by people that really, really need to think everyone in the past was super stupid and gullible.

As I wonder if this really did sort of begin and end with two European sailors in the new world looking over the side of their ship and one going "Ya know Ted... from up hear those sea cows look almost... ya know" *makes hourglass with is hand.* and his buddy going "Yeah I'm sure you'd bang one if given the chance."
People in the past were incredibly stupid and massively wise. Show some damn respect!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 10:45 AM   #189
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think it would have happened earlier than that: dugongs were known of from much earlier in history.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:56 AM   #190
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Racists Hunger Games fans are very disappointed

This was from a few years back. The book describes both characters as having dark skin. Reading comprehension fail. Also based on Twitter outrage, but then there's counter-outrage based on the tweets. So, something for everyone.
Even if the books had described her as being so white she glowed and could be seen from orbit, those are absolutely nauseating comments.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 11:01 AM   #191
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
At least according to the Wiki, the ending is slightly more uplifting than that.
That's a pretty good set-up for a sequel. The year is 2150. Ariel has been hardened by three hundred years of service to intransigent humanity, or what's left of it. She's got a ghost eye patch and she smokes ghost cigars. And she's two weeks away from retirement when King Pallas attacks the last remaining human cities. And now she's got a new partner, and it's the ghost of Abraham Lincoln who is possessing an animatronic Abraham Lincoln. Also The Beatles never existed, but The Rutles did. That never comes up it's just a fun fact about this world.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 12:34 PM   #192
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Wow! If the racist degenerates are unhappy about this, I can imagine what their response will be to this bit of news (if it bears out: )

"Congratulations are in order for Lashana Lynch!

According to The Mail on Sunday, the 31-year-old actress will play 007 in the new James Bond film.

While Daniel Craig will reprise his role as Bond in the upcoming (and currently untitled) movie, Lynch will come in as a new secret agent and take over his famous codename."

link

(Though I have a feeling that this should have its own thread...)
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 03:23 PM   #193
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I wouldn't touch a merwhateva myself. No matter what hue they'll all have crabs.
That's just shellfishist. Clearly they would have "cleaner shrimp".
Old 15th July 2019, 08:24 PM   #194
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Yes, if you cross the franchises all life as we know it will end and every molecule in our bodies explode at the speed of light.
That's bad. Okay. All right, good safety tip. Thanks P.J.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:19 PM   #195
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Yeah but in this case does it alter the character in any significant way? I mean if the next James Bond works for the Australian secret service I could see your point, but skin colour in this particular instance? Who cares?
You jinxed it!
Old 16th July 2019, 07:29 AM   #196
Venom
Master Poster

Greek gods, reference to Atlantis, her white skin, among others.

Just.....It annoys me when they mess with stories, even fictional.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 07:35 AM   #197
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh for the...

*Deep breath* In the original Hans Christian Anderson story the Little Mermaid wants to be human because mermaids don't have souls and can't go to heaven, so she visit the Sea Witch who cuts out her tongue in exchange for a pair of legs, goes ashore, meets up with the Prince, but the after the wedding she has doubts so the Sea Witch asks the Little Mermaids sisters to take her a knife which will allow her to turn back into a mermaid if she kills the Prince, but she can't bring herself to do it so she throws herself into the sea to die, but is resurrected as... Spawn basically and as the story ends she is told she will be allowed into heaven if she spends the next 300 years doing good deeds for mankind.

*Beat*

But don't make her black!

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th July 2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 16th July 2019, 07:38 AM   #198
Belz...
Fiend God

That doesn't mean that they're white.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 07:39 AM   #199
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Then you must ******* hate Disney.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 07:40 AM   #200
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
You jinxed it!
I can't believe some people are up in arms about this. If Bond's retired, of course the 007 number is going to go to someone else. Are they saying that it can't be a woman?

Greek gods were white, now? Atlanteans were white?

Sorry, Shaft's skin colour is relevant to his character, not the mermaid's.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events