ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th July 2019, 08:55 AM   #241
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Mermaids were simply a witness's misunderstanding of the sight of a dolphin swallowing a woman whole, starting from the feet. This happens frequently in coastal areas, between zero and five hundred thousand sixty-one people die this way annually.
Your numbers are out of date. As of last year, it's between zero and five hundred thousand seventy-four people. A particularly aggressive pod near Cancun decided they would go for a new record. It made for a rather unpleasant spring break, let me tell you.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 09:11 AM   #242
Lrrr
Stealth Hug Ninja

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
I just feel lucky that the Disney movies of my childhood were Herbie Goes Bananas and The Devil and Max Devlin. You can go ahead and mess with those.
How about the Apple Dumpling Gang with Don Cheadle taking on the role of Don Knotts?
Old 17th July 2019, 09:16 AM   #243
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
That's not what's happening. Disney respond to money and only money.

Your childhood show is getting rewritten so it makes money in the modern era.

Exactly the same as it was re-written to make money in your era.

You are no longer the target audience to be pandered to.

Get over it.
Bingo ain’t just a dog.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 09:22 AM   #244
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Bingo ain’t just a dog.
I think I'm missing some cultural reference here.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 09:26 AM   #245
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Your numbers are out of date. As of last year, it's between zero and five hundred thousand seventy-four people. A particularly aggressive pod near Cancun decided they would go for a new record. It made for a rather unpleasant spring break, let me tell you.
What's that Flipper? Little Johnny is stuck in your throat?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 09:28 AM   #246
autumn1971
Master Poster

I think I'm missing some cultural reference here.
I was just agreeing; saying “bingo!”
There is a children’s song that starts, “there was a farmer had a dog, and bingo was it’s name-o!”

That is all.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 09:40 AM   #247
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I was just agreeing; saying “bingo!”
There is a children’s song that starts, “there was a farmer had a dog, and bingo was it’s name-o!”

That is all.
Up to speed.

I've actually heard the song now I come to think about it. Probably on a US show sometime.

I'm getting really, really fed up with the "Things must remain as they were when I first discovered them" thing that seems to be infecting the world.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 17th July 2019 at 09:41 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 09:45 AM   #248
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Lrrr View Post
How about the Apple Dumpling Gang with Don Cheadle taking on the role of Don Knotts?
I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a Cat From Outer Space remake. Cats are so hot right now.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 11:37 AM   #249
Armitage72
Illuminator

I'm getting really, really fed up with the "Things must remain as they were when I first discovered them" thing that seems to be infecting the world.

I just want to take a moment to say that the new Ducktales reboot is an amazing show that was clearly written by people with a deep love and respect for the original cartoon and the Carl Barks comics while not being afraid to make the show their own creation.

Also, another separate reboot featured in a recent Ducktales episode absolutely blew me away. "Let's get dangerous!!"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 11:41 AM   #250
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a Cat From Outer Space remake. Cats are so hot right now.
The next big thing will be mermaid cats. A huge controversy will erupt when a tabby is cast for a calico.
Old 17th July 2019, 01:20 PM   #251
TomB
Muse

I could care less bout the casting, but I'm kind of curious about the merchandising.

There continues to be a huge amount of Little Mermaid merchandise featuring the Ariel from the cartoon. When you go to Disney World, will that merchandise still be available? Will they have two lines of Little Mermaid merchandise? Which Ariel will be in the parades?
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 01:37 PM   #252
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
I could care less bout the casting, but I'm kind of curious about the merchandising.

There continues to be a huge amount of Little Mermaid merchandise featuring the Ariel from the cartoon. When you go to Disney World, will that merchandise still be available? Will they have two lines of Little Mermaid merchandise? Which Ariel will be in the parades?
It's Disney. Both Little Mermaids will be available, so the kids will demand to own two sets of everything.
Old 17th July 2019, 02:39 PM   #253
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Well yes, but then the films don't track the books terribly well anyway.
They're two quite different things.

Besides, you don't need the book of YOLT, as the film has an obit as well.

The OBIT in the YOLT novel is nearly 6 pages long and tells a lot about Bond's background.
SOme of it was used in the final fourth of the film "Skyfall".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 02:57 PM   #254
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's Disney. Both Little Mermaids will be available, so the kids will demand to own two sets of everything.

Are they even releasing a lot of merchandise for the various live action movies? It feels like they've been disappearing as soon as they're out of the theaters.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 02:59 PM   #255
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The OBIT in the YOLT novel is nearly 6 pages long and tells a lot about Bond's background.
I'm not sure this new devotion to continuity is a good move for the Bond franchise.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 07:15 PM   #256
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's not a new thing. It has always been that way.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 12:36 AM   #257
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Ah, you're talking quantity, not just the existence of an obit. No probs.

As theprestige says, it's a bit late for continuity, especially with the Craig films compared to the others. Within the Craig films, great, as they have gone for a complete story (of sorts), but it's not as if they tie in terribly well with anything that went before.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 01:30 AM   #258
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I think the main problem with the new disney remakes of these old films is that they aren't different enough. They are basically exact copies of the original animated versions done in live action + CGI. A few tiny changes that amount to a few lines of dialog over the course of a whole movie.

It would have been much more interesting if they'd actually tried having a new take on classic material, much as those originals did. While I personally prefer the original Hans Christian Andersen version of The Little Mermaid to the disney version, I think it was a good choice to do something new with it, and they should be experimenting now as well.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 03:13 AM   #259
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I think the main problem with the new disney remakes of these old films is that they aren't different enough. They are basically exact copies of the original animated versions done in live action + CGI. A few tiny changes that amount to a few lines of dialog over the course of a whole movie.
I think they're just doing it because they can. CGI tech has arrived at the point they can do it, so they will.

Old 18th July 2019, 03:21 AM   #260
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I think they're just doing it because they can. CGI tech has arrived at the point they can do it, so they will.
To be fair, I don't actually mind. I went and saw both Aladdin and The Lion King and enjoyed both of them for what they were worth.

I just think there was some potential there to try create a new interpretation that might have been more interesting and better movies overall.

It's fine by me that they are remaking old stuff. I think they could have done it better if they'd taken some chances, but as I said, just a complete copy of the original was still enough to entertain me for a couple of hours.

ETA: If they'd just rereleased the originals I'd probably have gone and seen them too.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 03:34 AM   #261
3point14
Pi

To be fair, I don't actually mind. I went and saw both Aladdin and The Lion King and enjoyed both of them for what they were worth.

I just think there was some potential there to try create a new interpretation that might have been more interesting and better movies overall.

It's fine by me that they are remaking old stuff. I think they could have done it better if they'd taken some chances, but as I said, just a complete copy of the original was still enough to entertain me for a couple of hours.

ETA: If they'd just rereleased the originals I'd probably have gone and seen them too.

That's the risk averse nature of making movies these days, I think.

Original works get passed over for making the umpteenth sequel to something that everybody knows the name of, creative, original scripts get shoehorned into existing franchises to placate studio execs concerned that people won't go to see what they don't know, and the best way to get your movie idea onto the screen is to write a book.

The production methods for these films are pretty innovative. If Disney had added an innovative script on top of that I think I'd have fallen off my chair.

Old 18th July 2019, 07:25 AM   #262
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It would have been much more interesting if they'd actually tried having a new take on classic material, much as those originals did. While I personally prefer the original Hans Christian Andersen version of The Little Mermaid to the disney version, I think it was a good choice to do something new with it, and they should be experimenting now as well.
I bet doing a fresh story would have meant commissioning a lot of new writing, and sharing new revenues with a lot of new people.

Especially if the new writers might want to negotiate a better deal than the original writers.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 07:41 AM   #263
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I bet doing a fresh story would have meant commissioning a lot of new writing, and sharing new revenues with a lot of new people.

Especially if the new writers might want to negotiate a better deal than the original writers.
Writing is not a limiting cost on big budget movies.

Way back in the days when Hulu was mostly free and ad supported, they aired a series called "The Booth At The End". The entire show was shot in a diner, and basically just one table at the diner, with characters sitting down and just talking. The whole time, just people sitting down and talking. The whole thing must have been shot for a rounding error in the budget of a Disney feature film. But it was fantastic. Great writing (plus a great premise) made it tense, suspenseful, and dramatic.

Great writing can be done, and it doesn't have to cost all that much.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 11:35 AM   #264
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

That's kind of what I think as well. What's the point? CGI graphics are cool and all that, but not cool enough to make it worth watching. I started watching "Beauty and the Beast" on TV to see if Emma Watson could actually sing and act. (Verdict: Sort of. She's not bad, but if she hadn't been Hermione Grainger, no one would have ever heard of her.) It wasn't good enough to hold my interest for the length of the movie, though. I eventually switched channels.

The previews of "The Lion King" did absolutely nothing for me. They seemed to lack the magic of the original animation. I think somehow the partial realism of the CGI sort of ends up halfway between a clearly fantasy, caricatured, cartoon world and a more realistic world, but never gets to either one. The viewer is kind of stuck in this halfway place. The effects aren't good enough to immerse the viewer in an alternate reality, but the need for some sort of realism constrains the characters in ways that the animators didn't have to deal with.

A good actress playing Ariel could possibly make the movie entertaining.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events