ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags sexual abuse cases

Old 27th July 2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Female teacher ... groomed 13-year-old female student for years

Apologies for editing the 'Daily Fails' headline, but it was too long for the title.

Quote:
A teenager sexually groomed by her teacher says she does not hate her abuser and it hurts to know the woman will likely spend years in a West Australian prison.

The teacher, who cannot be named, was aged 25 and 26 when she sexually abused two students, aged 13 and 17, between September 2015 and December 2016.

The woman has pleaded guilty to 44 charges, including indecent dealing and sexual penetration of a child under her care

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...old/ar-AAEWzxy

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 01:22 PM   #2
mgidm86
Philosopher

Wow that word you left out of the title is an important one! I mean combing someone else's hair could be weird but...
Old 27th July 2019, 01:52 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Wow that word you left out of the title is an important one! I mean combing someone else's hair could be weird but...
Not really.

The thing I have started noticing lately is the assumption that gay people always have to be the victim and never the perpetrator.

Like domestic abuse, child abuse etc

You are always going to get scum and being gay isn't a get out clause
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 04:11 PM   #4
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Not really.

The thing I have started noticing lately is the assumption that gay people always have to be the victim and never the perpetrator.

No, the bulk of the population still believe that homosexuals are inherently child molesters, at least in the US.

What's unusual about this, and why it stands out, is that it's a female perpetrator and a female victim. Despite the presumption of perversion, there is a powerful cultural tendency, in Eurosphere cultures at least, to portray males as inherently victimizers, and females as inherently victims. When females are acknowledged as victimizers, their victims are almost invariably male, and if the male victims are post-pubescent, they're treated as complicit or not actually victims.

Although there are no hard and fast numbers, most authorities in the field believe female on female child sexual abuse to be the most under-reported form of child sexual abuse, by a considerable margin. It is also the form of child sexual abuse that is least likely to be believed by authorities when it is reported by the victim.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 11:38 AM   #5
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
No, the bulk of the population still believe that homosexuals are inherently child molesters, at least in the US
evidence?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 02:12 AM   #6
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

She got 7.5 years (Of which 5.5 will have to be served.), which is more than I expected...

Quote:
A "caring and intelligent" teacher at a southern Perth suburban school has been sentenced to seven and a half years in jail for sexually abusing two teenage students.

The 29-year-old woman, who cannot be named to protect the identity of her victims, pleaded guilty to more than 40 charges relating to two girls, one of whom was in her class.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...nts/ar-AAFdUB9

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...

Last edited by Graham2001; 2nd August 2019 at 02:14 AM.
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 08:39 AM   #7
pharphis
Master Poster

Why do mainstream articles feel the need to preface their description of the abuser with "caring and intelligent" and similar adjectives for other abusers. It's gross and not needed.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:55 PM   #8
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I think it was intended more ironically, as used. The words were said by the judge:

Quote:
Judge Birmingham said references provided to the court on the woman's behalf described her as "an intelligent, caring and capable young woman" with other teachers at her school finding it hard to believe she had committed the offences.

He also said he accepted that the woman was genuinely remorseful and that her life had now been "utterly destroyed".

But he said the offences were so serious that only an immediate term of imprisonment was justified.
See I started off annoyed at the judge for engaging in the same kind of character-defense that is far too common of judges when describing sexual predators of children. But IMO he redeemed himself with that final point, which is the one thing all those other judges leave out after all the gushing.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 07:41 PM   #9
pharphis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I think it was intended more ironically, as used. The words were said by the judge:

See I started off annoyed at the judge for engaging in the same kind of character-defense that is far too common of judges when describing sexual predators of children. But IMO he redeemed himself with that final point, which is the one thing all those other judges leave out after all the gushing.
That's fine for the judge, but does that context show up in the article? Quotes like that are weird
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 07:44 PM   #10
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
Why do mainstream articles feel the need to preface their description of the abuser with "caring and intelligent" and similar adjectives for other abusers. It's gross and not needed.
They're citing the judge who's quoting support letters received on the defendant's behalf. The article is pretty clear on who/what they're quoting. The kid who blew up cats in my old neighborhood in Montreal got similar support, as do rapists, shoplifters, murderers... someone's always willing to say "s/he was such a good neighbor".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 08:57 PM   #11
pharphis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
They're citing the judge who's quoting support letters received on the defendant's behalf. The article is pretty clear on who/what they're quoting. The kid who blew up cats in my old neighborhood in Montreal got similar support, as do rapists, shoplifters, murderers... someone's always willing to say "s/he was such a good neighbor".
I see that later in the article. I feel that it's inappropriate to put that upfront in the first line, but maybe I am just sensitive about this. Feels gross
Old 4th August 2019, 12:20 AM   #12
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
I see that later in the article. I feel that it's inappropriate to put that upfront in the first line, but maybe I am just sensitive about this. Feels gross
It's merely a consequence of trying to cram a load of stuff into a short headline. The headline is merely a hook to persuade you to read the actual story. Skimming the headlines might give you the general gist but not the detail.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events