ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th July 2019, 02:11 PM   #81
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Here's Tommy Robinson punching out a soccer fan this June

Yup, we totally buy that. No context, just a random punch, carlitos, even if your crap source says:

Quote:
Robinson claimed he was walking through the area outside the stadium with his wife and that the fan he hit had been “getting rowdy, in my face, being abusive, being aggressive.”

“Twice I warned him, twice I warned his friends … That’s the context of the video. The man should keep his opinions to himself and his mouth to himself.”
Old 12th July 2019, 02:14 PM   #82
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Let's hope so. Won't be missed.

You're entitled to your opinion. I, on the other (and wiser) hand, have claimed already that "Tommy" dying in prison would be a mayor problem for the already sick "British" society. A martyr you don't want if you'd think it through.
Old 12th July 2019, 02:18 PM   #83
carlitos
"más divertido"

LOL. He sucker-punched a guy from behind because the guy was "in his face." That's not how faces work.

Guy who goes around punching people gives reasons that this guy had it coming - what a surprise.

Why am I responding to such obvious trolling! Carry on. Happy Friday.

Last edited by carlitos; 12th July 2019 at 02:22 PM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:26 PM   #84
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I'll say it (again?): I know people like "Tommy". Not very complex in thinking, but with a high motivation and talent to do what they think is right. I therefore take almost at face-value what he told Brittany in this interview, including how he was placed into the UK prison system in a dungeon where he had no choice but to physically hit a random Muslim (so he said it went, "who is a Muslim") because he knew that would put him in solitary confinement, away from the for-live imprisoned Islamist freaks who were threatening his life. This is real, happening in prisons all over "the West". You don't have to believe in any "Islam is evil" nonsense, and I have spoken out about that on this forum, to believe that "Tommy" has been deliberately put into live-threatening positions for his political views, not his maybe boorish manners.
This did not happen.
Old 12th July 2019, 02:38 PM   #85
catsmate
No longer the 1

Successful thread here.
Very. In exposing hypocrisy anyway.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What "vicious" treatment?
Not being allowed to beat women, gays, Muslims, migrants et cetera.

Throwing him into prison cells next to hardcore criminals who were just waiting to kill him, on trumped up charges.
Meanwhile, back in the Real World he's a pathetic, misogynistic, racist thug who's been imprisoned for actual crimes.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:59 PM   #86
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

LOL. He sucker-punched a guy from behind

From behind? Haven't you even watched your silly ten seconds video? It can't be more upfront than that.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:00 PM   #87
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

This did not happen.

You're seriously in denial.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:14 PM   #88
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
The man should keep his opinions to himself and his mouth to himself.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 03:28 PM   #89
Mojo
Mostly harmless

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...football-match

Quote:
The man should keep his opinions to himself and his mouth to himself.

If you’ve got a problem, say it to my face.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 03:40 PM   #90
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
The judgment (with link to the decision on penalty):

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC...2019/1791.html

That link no no longer works. Revised judgment here: https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2019/1791.html

Old 12th July 2019, 04:14 PM   #91
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

That's unfortunate. Don't give up too early.
Yaxley is a racist and violent thug.

But you are defending him.

Why is that?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:16 PM   #92
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post

Why is that?
I mean, pretty much all of the attacks on him have been ad homs, so you're kind of getting what you deserve, at this point.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:24 PM   #93
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Why is that?
Not the first time CE has done this. She is a big supporter of various Serbian officials...including those directly responsible for "Ethnic Cleansing". Still trying to figure out why somebody who is is pretty much on the extreme left fringe so often supports people on the extreme right Nearest I can think it is some of sort of a "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of deal. Anybody who gets on the bad side of the "establishment" of "The Man" is automatically a good guy........

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:26 PM   #94
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I mean, pretty much all of the attacks on him have been ad homs, so you're kind of getting what you deserve, at this point.

Notice how some people who claim to be "mainstream conservatives" here seem to be defending and supporting every right wing extremists who gets in trouble.
Just doing what Dear Leader In The White House wants, I suppose....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:31 PM   #95
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Successful thread here.
Heck, I haven't caught up with that new meaning of successful, where it actually means "insane".

It's true - you do learn something every day.

This time it might end his life.
Please!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Still trying to figure out why somebody who is is pretty much on the extreme left fringe so often supports people on the extreme right
Alas, we stopped having membership cards in the 1930s and anyone is welcome to join up.

I'll have a talk about that at the next left Book Club meeting.
Old 12th July 2019, 04:36 PM   #96
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I'm "a big supporter of various Serbian officials"?

Old 12th July 2019, 11:39 PM   #97
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Apart from the attacks which focused on, and provided evidence for, his criminal convictions, violent actions and past racist statements
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 12:06 AM   #98
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

LOL. He sucker-punched a guy from behind because the guy was "in his face." That's not how faces work.

Guy who goes around punching people gives reasons that this guy had it coming - what a surprise.

Why am I responding to such obvious trolling! Carry on. Happy Friday.
You have to remember that, in Russia, football hooliganism is basically a national sport.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 12:19 AM   #99
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Apart from the attacks which focused on, and provided evidence for, his criminal convictions, violent actions and past racist statements
And which were in response to the assertion that he was a non-violent dissident and that the charges against him were trumped up.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 01:47 AM   #100
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No, I just know how prisons in the UK work, including how government cuts have caused serious problems in all aspects of running a prison. You however have made claims that anyone with any actual knowledge of English prisons know to be untrue.
Old 13th July 2019, 04:16 AM   #101
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

You're entitled to your opinion. I, on the other (and wiser) hand, have claimed already that "Tommy" dying in prison would be a mayor problem for the already sick "British" society. A martyr you don't want if you'd think it through.
Great. All his mates and other idiots can out themselves and get the same fate as their hero. They are a cancer on 'British' 'society'.
Old 13th July 2019, 04:34 AM   #102
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

No, I just know how prisons in the UK work, including how government cuts have caused serious problems in all aspects of running a prison. You however have made claims that anyone with any actual knowledge of English prisons know to be untrue.
He'll ask to get put 'On the rule' and kept out of general population.

It does mean ironically he will be in with the sex offenders.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 05:30 AM   #103
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Still, at least he'll have a few friends in with him

https://malatesta32.wordpress.com/20...enders-update/
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 06:53 AM   #104
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Those are the ad homs I'm talking about.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 07:10 AM   #105
angrysoba
Philosophile

Huh? If he is jailed for his actions, it is not an ad hom attack. Imprisoning a person for their criminal behaviour is simply how the penal system works.

That said, I could do without some of the weird hopes that he should be attacked in prison or murdered by gangs.

The prison system should involve a state-mandated punishment. We can do without the vile US system of having the prisoners punish and brutalize each other.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 07:12 AM   #106
wasapi
Philosopher

Oh. The irony.
Old 13th July 2019, 07:42 AM   #107
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Huh? If he is jailed for his actions, it is not an ad hom attack. Imprisoning a person for their criminal behaviour is simply how the penal system works.

That said, I could do without some of the weird hopes that he should be attacked in prison or murdered by gangs.

The prison system should involve a state-mandated punishment. We can do without the vile US system of having the prisoners punish and brutalize each other.
What I mean is, a lot of the discussion has been about what kind of criminal/terrorist/hooligan he is, rather than about what kind of crime he's actually committed in this instance.

Is it reasonable for the UK to criminalize what he did here? Who cares! Look at what a horrible person he is!.

Obviously justice in one case cannot depend on how much we dislike what the accused has done in other cases. But that seems to be the focus of the discussion.
Old 13th July 2019, 08:08 AM   #108
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Which of his claims/arguments have they been applied to?
Old 13th July 2019, 08:12 AM   #109
angrysoba
Philosophile

What I mean is, a lot of the discussion has been about what kind of criminal/terrorist/hooligan he is, rather than about what kind of crime he's actually committed in this instance.

Is it reasonable for the UK to criminalize what he did here? Who cares! Look at what a horrible person he is!.

Obviously justice in one case cannot depend on how much we dislike what the accused has done in other cases. But that seems to be the focus of the discussion.
Yes, I agree with you.

He's obviously an extremely unpleasant person, and he almost certainly deserves to be locked up for other things he has done that have been brought up in this thread. Assault, after all, is surely worth locking someone up for, particularly if it is repeated.

That said, he shouldn't be punished for being an extremely unpleasant person, but rather for breaking the law.

In this case, he is being prosecuted for breaching reporting restrictions - or rather, his appeal against his sentence is being overturned.

I don't know the full details, but it seems to have been suggested that some of his other behaviour might have contributed to his appeal being overturned.

*disclaimer: I don't know the details, so this is hypothetical* I am not necessarily against that as to me it seems similar to how suspended sentences are subject to how someone behaves following their sentence. Keep your nose clean and you don't do any time. Behave badly and the sentence is implemented.

I saw a very brief clip of TR himself saying the judge had called him violent and that that was something that had weighed against him. TR defended himself by suggesting that the judge was of a class that looked down on the likes of him and was likely to think of him as being violent merely by the way he talked. But those videos suggest there is more to the claims of him being violent than the way he talks.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 08:36 AM   #110
Arcade22
Philosopher

I saw a very brief clip of TR himself saying the judge had called him violent and that that was something that had weighed against him. TR defended himself by suggesting that the judge was of a class that looked down on the likes of him and was likely to think of him as being violent merely by the way he talked. But those videos suggest there is more to the claims of him being violent than the way he talks.
Well then there's his criminal records that substantiates the fact that he is in fact a violent thug. No doubt his violent criminal lifestyle was foist upon him by the totalitarian British state at an early age, seeking only to break someone who could potentially free the English people from the shackles of political correctness...!
Old 13th July 2019, 08:51 AM   #111
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

LOL. He sucker-punched a guy from behind because the guy was "in his face." That's not how faces work...
No, but this is how 'right-wingers spinning Fake News' works. The video shows a group of people walking away from the camera. Robinson is seen walking a bit faster. He steps around a man, raises his right arm, throws a punch, a third man falls to the ground. Robinson then walks away.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Reminds me of the spoof site that showed a photo of Amarosa Manigault and Ivanka Trump standing behind president Trump at a ceremony. The image is labeled "Chelsea Clinton and Michelle Obama flip president Trump the bird after he invites them to White House event." Right-wingers ate it up. They were posting comments blasting Clinton and Obama. Then the blogger commented something like, "How stupid can you people be? I made it up!"

One guy immediately responded, "No you didn't."

You can't fix stupid.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 10:25 AM   #112
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Which of his claims/arguments have they been applied to?
That's funny.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:02 AM   #113
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Well that wasn't the topic at all. If you want to discuss it then feel free to but its a bit rich to complain that the arguments presented aren't addressing a topic that isn't the one under discussion.

Contempt of court is criminalised in a whole host of countries. Not just the UK.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:18 AM   #114
catsmate
No longer the 1

Then you''ll have no problem citing evidence for your assertions...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 11:21 AM   #115
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The charges weren't trumped up, he clearly was in contempt of court.

How do you define "hardcore" criminals, is it people in prison for say assaulting other people?

Also why would other criminals be wanting to specifically kill him?

And how do you know where he will serve his sentence?
He might be put next to football hooligans with convictions for cocaine use?

And fraud.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 11:24 AM   #116
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Not the first time CE has done this. She is a big supporter of various Serbian officials...including those directly responsible for "Ethnic Cleansing". Still trying to figure out why somebody who is is pretty much on the extreme left fringe so often supports people on the extreme right Nearest I can think it is some of sort of a "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of deal. Anybody who gets on the bad side of the "establishment" of "The Man" is automatically a good guy........
It corresponds with the Putinist line.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:31 AM   #117
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
He'll ask to get put 'On the rule' and kept out of general population.

Well that group does include over twenty EDL members...
Old 13th July 2019, 11:33 AM   #118
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yes, I agree with you.

He's obviously an extremely unpleasant person, and he almost certainly deserves to be locked up for other things he has done that have been brought up in this thread. Assault, after all, is surely worth locking someone up for, particularly if it is repeated.

That said, he shouldn't be punished for being an extremely unpleasant person, but rather for breaking the law.

In this case, he is being prosecuted for breaching reporting restrictions - or rather, his appeal against his sentence is being overturned.

I don't know the full details, but it seems to have been suggested that some of his other behaviour might have contributed to his appeal being overturned.

*disclaimer: I don't know the details, so this is hypothetical* I am not necessarily against that as to me it seems similar to how suspended sentences are subject to how someone behaves following their sentence. Keep your nose clean and you don't do any time. Behave badly and the sentence is implemented.

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Well then there's his criminal records that substantiates the fact that he is in fact a violent thug. No doubt his violent criminal lifestyle was foist upon him by the totalitarian British state at an early age, seeking only to break someone who could potentially free the English people from the shackles of political correctness...!
You mean Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon? He doesn't sound so proletarian.

And of course there is his sending of sexual comments to an underage Muslim girl on Twitter.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 11:59 AM   #119
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
You mean Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon? He doesn't sound so proletarian.

And of course there is his sending of sexual comments to an underage Muslim girl on Twitter.
There's also the campaign to free "political prisoner" Richard Price by 'Robinson' and the rest of the EDL. After his conviction EDL members wrote to MPs looking to "win justice for Richard Price". 'Robinson' personally supported Price after he admitted four counts of making indecent images of children and two charges of possessing cocaine.
Apparently sexually exploiting children is OK for EDL members...
Old 13th July 2019, 12:01 PM   #120
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Why is that?
Never heard of this dude before but based on the video, and description, the guy was justified. Out with his wife and repeatedly accosted by 5 men. Warnings obviously weren't working, a punch did. That's a cheaply learned lesson for wankers.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events