ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th July 2019, 01:48 PM   #121
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Including the one shown here, I've seen two videos of Robinson laying someone out with a single punch, in both cases after numerous warnings to the aggressive wankers getting in his face. I'm rather impressed with him as a man who can and will fight and I'd prefer to have him around "in a tight spot" than some SJW fairy with a milkshake in their hand.
Old 13th July 2019, 02:25 PM   #122
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Hahahaha tosser
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 02:47 PM   #123
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Never heard of this dude before but based on the video, and description, the guy was justified. Out with his wife and repeatedly accosted by 5 men. Warnings obviously weren't working, a punch did. That's a cheaply learned lesson for wankers.
Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Including the one shown here, I've seen two videos of Robinson laying someone out with a single punch, in both cases after numerous warnings to the aggressive wankers getting in his face. I'm rather impressed with him as a man who can and will fight and I'd prefer to have him around "in a tight spot" than some SJW fairy with a milkshake in their hand.
Of course, a milkshake thrown and it’s “hand me my pearls!” A punch is thrown and it’s “ooh, my knickers have gone all gooey!”
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 03:14 PM   #124
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He knew exactly what he is doing. He thinks this is his 'Beer Keller' moment
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 04:38 PM   #125
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Then you''ll have no problem citing evidence for your assertions...
According to the usual sources they provide: The UK is an absolutely oppressive totalitarian society without any freedom at all where the government murders people all the time and the only thing media there publishes is completely false and pure propaganda. Only obscure blogs that consistently publish crackpot conspiracy theories and pro-Russian propaganda offer objective and true view of the happenings in that country.

If you were crazy and actually believed that, then Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon being an innocent victim of political persecution and repression doesn't seem all that unbelievable.

Last edited by Arcade22; 13th July 2019 at 04:40 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 06:35 PM   #126
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What I mean is, a lot of the discussion has been about what kind of criminal/terrorist/hooligan he is, rather than about what kind of crime he's actually committed in this instance.

Is it reasonable for the UK to criminalize what he did here? Who cares! Look at what a horrible person he is!.

Obviously justice in one case cannot depend on how much we dislike what the accused has done in other cases. But that seems to be the focus of the discussion.
What he did was a criminal offence, he breached a court order that resisted the reporting on the case until those cases and the others were finished. The order was to protect the neutrality of the Jury pool.

Is that reasonable, yes.

Is it reasonable that he got a jail sentence... well that comes down to his past behaviour.

If this had been his first offence then it would not have been appropriate.

However, it was, he has 11 convictions, including the most recent being for the exact same thing. As a result, jail time is appropriate.

As to the hand wringing. He's going to serve 2 and a half months in a minimum, likely "B-Class" security prison, so it's very unlikely he's going to be in danger from murderous Muslim gangs.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 07:11 PM   #127
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
As to the hand wringing. He's going to serve 2 and a half months in a minimum, likely "B-Class" security prison, so it's very unlikely he's going to be in danger from murderous Muslim gangs.

Well, his supporters have been outside of Belmarsh today, which is where the worst enemies of the Crown are held - Islamists and journalists. I've heard it is run by a certain white wizard from down under these days. Are they misinformed? Do you know better?

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 13th July 2019 at 07:15 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 08:58 PM   #128
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Well, his supporters ...
Massive crowd of them, too. There must have been 50 or more there!

...outside of Belmarsh today, which is where the worst enemies of the Crown are held - Islamists and journalists.
No, it's a local London prison. Jeffrey Archer & Denis McShane served time there.

Sorry it doesn't fit your fantasy narrative.
Old 13th July 2019, 09:12 PM   #129
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well, his supporters have been outside of Belmarsh today, which is where the worst enemies of the Crown are held - Islamists and journalists. I've heard it is run by a certain white wizard from down under these days. Are they misinformed? Do you know better?
As noted by The Athiest, Belmarsh is a local prison, primarily for the Central Criminal Court and magistrates Courts in South-East London. Also for the Crown and Magistrates Courts in Southwest Essex. It does also have a Category "A" area, but you don't mix Cat B and A prisoners, which is pretty much the same story as other local Prisons throughout the UK.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 02:32 PM   #130
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Well that wasn't the topic at all. If you want to discuss it then feel free to but its a bit rich to complain that the arguments presented aren't addressing a topic that isn't the one under discussion.
Tommy Robinson jailed for contempt of court is literally the topic of the thread.

Not what a horrible person he is in other ways.

Quote:
Contempt of court is criminalised in a whole host of countries. Not just the UK.
What is included under the heading of contempt of court varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. We can debate whether the UK is right to criminalize what Tommy Robinson has done, without calling into question the entire concept of contempt of court.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 02:50 PM   #131
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the court ordered him to stop doing something.
he went out and deliberately did it again.
Of course he was going to be hauled back in front of them and put away!
Old 14th July 2019, 04:51 PM   #132
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

We can debate whether the UK is right to criminalize what Tommy Robinson has done, without calling into question the entire concept of contempt of court.
Not really. He clearly broke the Court Order against reporting on the case. There is no debate here, either you criminalize and prosecute breaches of Court Orders, or you make Court Orders useless because there is no punishment for ignoring them.

There isn't a lot of debate about if the Court Order was fair either, it was put in place to prevent the possibility of Jury Pool contamination.

Robinson deliberately broke the order to espouse his racist and bigoted views, and to inflate his own viewership. That added to his previous record equals jail time.

Old 15th July 2019, 12:41 AM   #133
Tolls
Illuminator

... Belmarsh ... which is where the worst enemies of the Crown are held ...
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Jeffrey Archer... served time there.
I think you just proved CE's point.
I mean, have you read any of his books?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 03:09 AM   #134
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
It sound more like someone who insists that since these particular pedophiles belong to a certain religion, religion must be the cause of their pedophilia - much the same way that people in this forum and elsewhere argue that since Muslim terrorists are (obviously) Muslims, their religion must be responsible for their terrorism.
I very rarely see people argue that Christianity is the cause of Catholic pedophiles or Evangelical terrorists ...
A number of ex-compatriots of his from the EDL have been convicted of pedophilla and grooming charges without him feeling the need to report from their trials.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 03:13 AM   #135
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Let's hope so. Won't be missed.
While I understand the sentiment, no. Prison should be the punishment, not random violence by other prisoners.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 03:47 AM   #136
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
A number of ex-compatriots of his from the EDL have been convicted of pedophilla and grooming charges without him feeling the need to report from their trials.
Yeah strange that isn't it?
Old 15th July 2019, 04:00 AM   #137
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Tommy Robinson jailed for contempt of court is literally the topic of the thread.
Yes, its a thread where we can all laugh at a useless oxygen thieving scumbag getting his comeuppance. There was no discussion about whether the offence was jailworthy. The only discussion was about whether TR was a peaceful campaigner or a violent piece of *******. Although there really isn't any need for that discussion because the answer is obvious.

Quote:
Not what a horrible person he is in other ways.
That was literally what was being discussed

Quote:
What is included under the heading of contempt of court varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. We can debate whether the UK is right to criminalize what Tommy Robinson has done, without calling into question the entire concept of contempt of court.
TR is in contempt of being a human being so I really couldn't give a **** about the views of anyone wanting to defend him or question whether he deserves to be rotting in a cell. Jail, in this case, is literally too good for him.
Old 15th July 2019, 04:03 AM   #138
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
While I understand the sentiment, no. Prison should be the punishment, not random violence by other prisoners.
In general yes. In the case of someone who promotes random violence against people in the general population, and who regularly dishes it out I hope he gets the **** kicked out of him by a bigger bully on the inside.
Old 15th July 2019, 05:03 AM   #139
Ron Obvious
Scholar

In general yes. In the case of someone who promotes random violence against people in the general population, and who regularly dishes it out I hope he gets the **** kicked out of him by a bigger bully on the inside.
How long have you had these fascist fantasies exactly?
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:03 AM   #140
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

And once the "bigger bully" has meted out the sentence passed by you and others, how should we reward him?

Should we elect a "bigger bully" in all prisons to mete out extrajudicial beatings and, if so, who chooses the victims?

If it's good enough for Tommy then who else do you have in mind to have the **** kicked out of them?

Is the fact that Tommy is no longer in "the general population" the sole reason you are promoting "random violence" against him?

Having read your contributions thus far it seems that you think you are against such behaviour but in actual fact you stand shoulder to shoulder with Tommy Robinson if we are to agree with your assertion that he "promotes random violence against people in the general population".

Interesting.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:11 AM   #141
Ron Obvious
Scholar

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
And once the "bigger bully" has meted out the Having read your contributions thus far it seems that you think you are against such behaviour but in actual fact you stand shoulder to shoulder with Tommy Robinson if we are to agree with your assertion that he "promotes random violence against people in the general population".

Interesting.
I don't think he does irony.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:49 AM   #142
Arcade22
Philosopher

We can debate whether the UK is right to criminalize what Tommy Robinson has done, without calling into question the entire concept of contempt of court.
Of course it shouldn't be illegal to ignore the courts orders when its done for such a noble goal like trying to incite hatred against minorities.

It's absolutely imperative that football hooligans, violent racist thugs and far-right extremists are allowed to disobey and ignore the judicial system with complete impunity as they actively seek to rid Britain of these harmful minorities by whatever means necessary.

Last edited by Arcade22; 15th July 2019 at 05:53 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:54 AM   #143
The Common Potato
Scholar

This is a majorly long bow to draw, and totally in opposition to what the court found.

I suggest you read the ruling posted above.

Here are some highlights for you....

You really think this sounds like someone trying to enable pedophilia?
I think the enabling paedophilia argument works thus: by his actions, the accused might go free, free to be a paedo again.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:58 AM   #144
The Common Potato
Scholar

Throwing him into prison cells next to hardcore criminals who were just waiting to kill him, on trumped up charges.
Let's add the ways of the UK prison system to the list things you know not a lot about.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 06:02 AM   #145
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

And once the "bigger bully" has meted out the sentence passed by you and others, how should we reward him?
With whatever criminal repercussions his behaviour merits

Quote:
Should we elect a "bigger bully" in all prisons to mete out extrajudicial beatings and, if so, who chooses the victims?
No that would be stupid

Quote:
If it's good enough for Tommy then who else do you have in mind to have the **** kicked out of them?
Oh there's a list of people I would not shed a tear for having the **** kicked out of them and would in fact laugh heartily should it occur.

Quote:
Is the fact that Tommy is no longer in "the general population" the sole reason you are promoting "random violence" against him?
I'm not promoting it. Just hoping it happens and will enjoy it if it does. And no TR isn't the general population, he's a criminal thug who has made a career out of promoting hate and bigotry against peaceful people.

Quote:
Having read your contributions thus far it seems that you think you are against such behaviour but in actual fact you stand shoulder to shoulder with Tommy Robinson if we are to agree with your assertion that he "promotes random violence against people in the general population".

Interesting.
Oh yes I am against being a bigot and a hate preacher and promoting violence against peaceful people who have done nothing wrong. Little scrotes like TR getting beaten up? Would bring a smile to my face.

And lets face it if it was a brown person on the receiving end TR would be the main cheerleader.
Old 15th July 2019, 06:03 AM   #146
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
I don't think he does irony.
Aww diddums. Is little Tommy getting his comeuppance hurting your feelings?
Old 15th July 2019, 06:09 AM   #147
The Common Potato
Scholar

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
I think you just proved CE's point.
I mean, have you read any of his books?
I found Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less in a cardboard box last month. I read it. Is that a banning offence?
Old 15th July 2019, 06:14 AM   #148
bluesjnr

With whatever criminal repercussions his behaviour merits

No that would be stupid

Oh there's a list of people I would not shed a tear for having the **** kicked out of them and would in fact laugh heartily should it occur.

I'm not promoting it. Just hoping it happens and will enjoy it if it does. And no TR isn't the general population, he's a criminal thug who has made a career out of promoting hate and bigotry against peaceful people.

Oh yes I am against being a bigot and a hate preacher and promoting violence against peaceful people who have done nothing wrong. Little scrotes like TR getting beaten up? Would bring a smile to my face.

And lets face it if it was a brown person on the receiving end TR would be the main cheerleader.
Then you are very little different than the man who stood outside a court a few months ago encouraging mob rule.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 06:16 AM   #149
Ron Obvious
Scholar

Aww diddums. Is little Tommy getting his comeuppance hurting your feelings?
No.
Old 15th July 2019, 06:34 AM   #150
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Then you are very little different than the man who stood outside a court a few months ago encouraging mob rule.
Oh I am quite different thanks. And if you can't tell the difference then the problem is with you not me.
Old 15th July 2019, 06:48 AM   #151
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Not really. He clearly broke the Court Order against reporting on the case. There is no debate here, either you criminalize and prosecute breaches of Court Orders, or you make Court Orders useless because there is no punishment for ignoring them.

There isn't a lot of debate about if the Court Order was fair either, it was put in place to prevent the possibility of Jury Pool contamination.

Robinson deliberately broke the order to espouse his racist and bigoted views, and to inflate his own viewership. That added to his previous record equals jail time.
Maybe the real issue here is that UKians aren't fit to serve on juries.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 07:03 AM   #152
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Maybe the real issue here is that UKians aren't fit to serve on juries.
What a bizarre suggestion.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 07:20 AM   #153
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
What a bizarre suggestion.
I think it follows directly from Phantom Wolf's explanation about the concern that Tommy Robinson would contaminate the jury pool.
Old 15th July 2019, 08:10 AM   #154
bluesjnr

Oh I am quite different thanks. And if you can't tell the difference then the problem is with you not me.
What would my problem be?

Although, why I expect a considered response from someone who advocates for societies worst to dole out corporal punishment has got me beat.
Old 15th July 2019, 08:13 AM   #155
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I think it follows directly from Phantom Wolf's explanation about the concern that Tommy Robinson would contaminate the jury pool.
In what way? Do you think the reporting restrictions around a trial have no purpose?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 08:24 AM   #156
Arcade22
Philosopher

In what way? Do you think the reporting restrictions around a trial have no purpose?
It's a part of a conspiracy to withhold the truth! The people have a right know everything bad immigrants and their descendants are ever accused of, so that they may rise up against the politically correct establishment and expel the invaders in the sea!
Old 15th July 2019, 08:31 AM   #157
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
It's a part of a conspiracy to withhold the truth! The people have a right know everything bad immigrants and their descendants are ever accused of, so that they may rise up against the politically correct establishment and expel the invaders in the sea!
You need to reel it in. Your becoming a parody of other posters with this nonsensical misrepresentation.
Old 15th July 2019, 08:34 AM   #158
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

What would my problem be?
An inability to differentiate between a bigoted, racist, thuggish, pondscum advocate for making the lives of innocent people worse and a person laughing at a bigoted, racist, thuggish, pondscum advocate for making the lives of innocent people worse getting his comeuppance in an ironic way.

If you think these two things are the same, or nearly the same then you have serious issues with judgement.

Quote:
Although, why I expect a considered response from someone who advocates for societies worst to dole out corporal punishment has got me beat.
Perhaps if you spent less time worrying about the fate of bigoted, racist, thuggish, pondscum advocate for making the lives of innocent people worse you might be able to get more considered responses from people.
Old 15th July 2019, 08:39 AM   #159
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I thought we were stipulating the purpose given by Phantom Wolf: To prevent contamination of the jury pool. Where in my posts did you find "have no purpose"?
Old 15th July 2019, 08:45 AM   #160
Arcade22
Philosopher

I thought we were stipulating the purpose given by Phantom Wolf: To prevent contamination of the jury pool. Where in my posts did you find "have no purpose"?
You dismissed that out of hand without any motivation, remember?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events