ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th July 2019, 11:35 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

12 day old baby saved by white US cop, while black

Good man

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...h-cpr/11306450

Edit: Just watched it again

Should have added, that is fricken awesome and it actually made me slightly choke up for a sec....(Just for a sec mind...as I am too manly to go over board)
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 12th July 2019 at 11:40 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 12:27 AM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Hats off to him. Well done.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 05:35 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I hate to say it but the cop needs to review infant CPR.

First you clear the airway, I didn't see him do that but it's hard to tell what he's doing in the beginning. On an infant, you check the pulse in the armpit, brachial artery, not the carotid. The kid was moving, you can see the startle reflex. It's going to have a bloody pulse, you go limp without a pulse. I'm not sure the mother's lap is the best place to do CPR if it had been needed. You can do infant CPR with the baby cradled in one arm, or you can put the baby on the ground/floor.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Fortunately it looks like the baby revived anyway. Obviously the cop did his best.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th July 2019 at 05:36 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 05:42 PM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

First you clear the airway, I didn't see him do that but it's hard to tell what he's doing in the beginning. On an infant, you check the pulse in the armpit, brachial artery, not the carotid. The kid was moving, you can see the startle reflex. It's going to have a bloody pulse, you go limp without a pulse. I'm not sure the mother's lap is the best place to do CPR if it had been needed. You can do infant CPR with the baby cradled in one arm, or you can put the baby on the ground/floor.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Fortunately it looks like the baby revived anyway. Obviously the cop did his best.
I think (obviously not a doctor and getting this second hand so grain of salt) he wasn't trying to do actual CPR. It seems (again from how I'm reading the video) that the infant was still breathing just very shallow and very "on and off."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th July 2019 at 05:57 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 05:49 PM   #5
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Well done anyway. Aside from the obvious fact that the cop did a service to the baby, it's also pretty clear that he did not react wrongly when he made the initial stop, which suggests he's in the right job.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think (obviously not a doctor and getting this second hand so grain of salt) he wasn't trying to do actual CPR. I seems (again from how I'm reading the video) that the infant was still breathing just very shallow and very "on and off."
If I get too critical I fear you guys will all jump on my case.

He did not follow the recommended steps one should follow when assessing an infant in trouble. You're right, he didn't do chest compressions and didn't need to. But had he needed to, he would have been losing precious time.

Bottom line is, it's a lesson for all, go learn or review infant CPR, everyone should know how to do it.

And a lot of times one can get a baby that young going again just by stimulating it. He did stimulate the kid.
Old 13th July 2019, 05:52 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Well done anyway. Aside from the obvious fact that the cop did a service to the baby, it's also pretty clear that he did not react wrongly when he made the initial stop, which suggests he's in the right job.
Absolutely: credit for that.
Old 13th July 2019, 08:52 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I AGREE

There is always one
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 09:16 PM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
There is always one
Yeah, one nurse that thinks this is a great opportunity to remind people to review infant CPR.
Old 13th July 2019, 09:42 PM   #10
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Yeah, one nurse that thinks this is a great opportunity to remind people to review infant CPR.
Given I wouldn't have a clue what to do before this happened that is a very good point

Edit: Knew the use your fingers rather than hands thing for obvious reasons, but nothing else

Last edited by cullennz; 13th July 2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 15th July 2019, 03:12 AM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Good man

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...h-cpr/11306450

Edit: Just watched it again

Should have added, that is fricken awesome and it actually made me slightly choke up for a sec....(Just for a sec mind...as I am too manly to go over board)
Wow cop does his job and doesn't murder a black person, truly a rare and newsworthy event.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 03:47 AM   #12
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Wow cop does his job and doesn't murder a black person, truly a rare and newsworthy event.
Lol

ponderingturtle annoyed not all cops are racist stormtroopers/Judge Dredds

Old 15th July 2019, 04:32 AM   #13
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Nice story and all, but why is this even a thread? I shook hands with a black man this morning, is that thread-worthy?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:03 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Nice story and all, but why is this even a thread? I shook hands with a black man this morning, is that thread-worthy?
It's a nice thread, I happen to think nice things happening in the world should be as noteworthy as bad things happening.
Old 15th July 2019, 05:41 AM   #15
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I AGREE

I'm not entirely sure that the cop did anything but the child seemed more responsive after his manipulations.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:42 AM   #16
bluesjnr

Depends what your stance is on POC.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:47 AM   #17
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Lol

ponderingturtle annoyed not all cops are racist stormtroopers/Judge Dredds
It's ok I am sure he covers for his racist colleges. After all blue careers matter far more than black lives.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:47 AM   #18
bluesjnr

SG would you mind letting me know where you studied nursing, for how long and, if in the UK, what level you attained?
Old 15th July 2019, 05:48 AM   #19
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's a nice thread, I happen to think nice things happening in the world should be as noteworthy as bad things happening.
And of course a police officer doing his job appropriately and not violating procedure and getting away with it, is apparently rare enough to be newsworthy.
Old 15th July 2019, 05:59 AM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jesus Christ, can it just not be "Here's a nice thing that happened."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 11:32 AM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I'm not entirely sure that the cop did anything but the child seemed more responsive after his manipulations.
With newborns that stop breathing, stimulating them is an important action.
Old 15th July 2019, 11:37 AM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

SG would you mind letting me know where you studied nursing, for how long and, if in the UK, what level you attained?
U of WA, Master's degree and I'm a family nurse practitioner. I've been in nursing ~45 years.

In the UK that would be an APN (advanced practice nurse).

Why?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th July 2019 at 11:38 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 12:02 PM   #23
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Jesus Christ, can it just not be "Here's a nice thing that happened."
Then it would be phrased differently. I get it clearly everytime the police do their job and refrain from murdering a black person they need a cookie because of just how fun and easy it is to murder black people.

I forsee tons of new threads.

"Cop racially profiles Black driver when pulling them over, lets them go without planting evidence or shooting them" Clearly also deserving a cookie.
Old 15th July 2019, 12:45 PM   #24
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

I only watched it once, but I got the impression that the portion of the tape they posted started after he'd begun working on the baby, so he may have taken other actions that weren't shown. I could be wrong, of course.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 02:31 PM   #25
mgidm86
Philosopher

Except that it was mentioned because there is a perception by many people that most cops are a bunch of racist a-holes, not just because it was a nice story.

We don't do "nice" here without some reason

I guess what I mean is that this should not need to be posted at all. There are bad cops but this thread just proves that not enough people believe that.

Didn't watch the video or click any links.
Old 16th July 2019, 04:05 AM   #26
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Stories like this happen all the time, but it feels like this is a thread simply because of the ongoing, boring, battle between two factions on here regarding black people and white people. As an observer, this obsession is weird to witness, especially when it brings life to threads such as this. I'm now convinced that me shaking the hand of a black fella yesterday probably was thread-worthy. My uncle was mates with the Real Thing back in the day, how many points do I score?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 04:12 AM   #27
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Depends what your stance is on POC.
I treat them exactly the same as people of non-colour. People are people. So while a bloke saving a baby is admirable and undoubtedly a nice story, the fact that this is a thread within Social Issues and Current Events is pretty baffling.

Going to my local newsagents round the corner would probably serve as an endless supply of threads:

Man Sells White Man Newspaper While Asian

Boy Holds Door Open for Elderly White Lady While Black

Guy Waits in Queue and Gives No Craps What Colour Anyone Is As He's Got Better Things To Think About, While White

I'm still curious to know how many "POC" even post in this bloody forum, apparently not many. Just a bunch of white people going postal.

Old 16th July 2019, 04:19 AM   #28
bluesjnr

I treat them exactly the same as people of non-colour. People are people. So while a bloke saving a baby is admirable and undoubtedly a nice story, the fact that this is a thread within Social Issues and Current Events is pretty baffling.

Going to my local newsagents round the corner would probably serve as an endless supply of threads:

Guy Waits in Queue and Gives No Craps What Colour Anyone Is As He's Got Better Things To Think About, While White

I'm still curious to know how many "POC" even post in this bloody forum, apparently not many. Just a bunch of white people going postal.
Somebody will be along shortly to berate you for your colour blindness. This post may hold them at bay but be ready....
Old 16th July 2019, 04:29 AM   #29
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Given it is a current event where else do you suggest I put it?

As for the title, I have made my feelings well known about having thread after thread after thread after thread with black people being treated like crap in the US with the same title vibe and asking why they can't be just one thread when it is an international blimmin forum.

It was just a self amusing counter.

Old 16th July 2019, 04:54 AM   #30
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Given it is a current event where else do you suggest I put it?

As for the title, I have made my feelings well known about having thread after thread after thread after thread with black people being treated like crap in the US with the same title vibe and asking why they can't be just one thread when it is an international blimmin forum.

It was just a self amusing counter.
Is it a current event, though?

Seems like a perfectly normal story that is only being posted because it has a white man saving a black baby, something that undoubtedly happens every bloody day in hospitals around the globe. Again, the fact that everyone in here is white just makes these constant, boring, threads about "POC" all the more cringe-worthy. This is possibly the whitest thread ever.

Old 16th July 2019, 04:57 AM   #31
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Somebody will be along shortly to berate you for your colour blindness. This post may hold them at bay but be ready....
Probably, it's happened before, despite me not having a horse in the endless black v white race here on the ISF.

Skeptics Endlessly Blather on About Black People While White would be an appropriate title to describe the ISF to people who weren't familiar with it.

Old 16th July 2019, 04:59 AM   #32
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Seems like a perfectly normal story that is only being posted because it has a white man saving a black baby, something that undoubtedly happens every bloody day in hospitals around the globe. Again, the fact that everyone in here is white just makes these constant, boring, threads about "POC" all the more cringe-worthy. This is possibly the whitest thread ever.
If you can post a current story of a cop saving a 12 day on baby on his body cam go for it.

It was just a cool thing

And believe me. That wasn't as boring to everyone on here who isn't American having to trawl through "###### ##### ### ## ###, while black" every bloody day

Last edited by cullennz; 16th July 2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 16th July 2019, 05:25 AM   #33
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

If you can post a current story of a cop saving a 12 day on baby on his body cam go for it.
Isn't that what you've done? My point is, black babies are undoubtedly being saved in hospitals by white blokes every day, and vice versa. It's not news, IMO. Nice news, but there's plenty of nice news that nobody bothers to post because it doesn't serve a certain political agenda.

And believe me. That wasn't as boring to everyone on here who isn't American having to trawl through "###### ##### ### ## ###, while black" every bloody day
I tend to scroll right past such threads for the obvious reason that they're silly and serve one purpose, to stoke political flames among two factions of white folks, forever warring over a group of people who I'm guessing have very little contact with anyone on here.

I can almost here the Vanilla Ice track blurring in the background as socially-awkward white skeptics attempt to assimilate with our black brothas and sistas.

Old 16th July 2019, 05:32 AM   #34
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Isn't that what you've done? My point is, black babies are undoubtedly being saved in hospitals by white blokes every day, and vice versa. It's not news, IMO. Nice news, but there's plenty of nice news that nobody bothers to post because it doesn't serve a certain political agenda.
I don't think a video of a cop stopping a car and saving a 12 day old baby on video is every day. Hey. Maybe it is in the US. Just thought it was cool.

I tend to scroll right past such threads for the obvious reason that they're silly and serve one purpose, to stoke political flames among two factions of white folks, forever warring over a group of people who I'm guessing have very little contact with anyone on here.

I can almost here the Vanilla Ice track blurring in the background as socially-awkward white skeptics attempt to assimilate with our black brothas and sistas.
Agree, but it was getting beyond a joke

Old 16th July 2019, 05:37 AM   #35
Mumbles
Philosopher

Saying that the "while black" threads are about black people is like saying Roadrunner cartoons are about the Roadrunner. No, those threads are actually about how too many white people, or far too many police with the support of far too many white people, react to black people simply minding their own business.

Seems to me that it's up to white people to correct each other, so this is as good a forum as any.

Last edited by Mumbles; 16th July 2019 at 05:39 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 08:34 AM   #36
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I liked this thread. Most police officers are trying to do a good job and serve their community, but it's still good to see successful outcomes.

If US police forces were generally good at investigating wrongdoing by their officers, or it was universally accepted that there is a problem with institutional racism in many forces and far more blatant racism in some, then you might have a point.

Instead, we have a police officer who was filmed fatally shooting an unarmed man who was literally begging for his life and obviously trying to comply with multiple conflicting commands from the officer. Not only was the officer not charged, but he was reinstated so he could claim his pension before retiring sick.

ETA, we also have people dismissing any individual incident, as either rare, or not certain to be racist. Outside the police threads, this included the hanging of a noose in a Boeing factory, despite Boeing saying it was racially motivated and firing the people who put it up.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 16th July 2019 at 08:39 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 09:12 AM   #37
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I liked this thread. Most police officers are trying to do a good job and serve their community, but it's still good to see successful outcomes.
As long as covering for their coworkers wrongdoing is accepted as a good job and serving their community. Like how few of the catholic church seem to be raping kids and so merely covering it up and aiding and abetting it doesn't make them bad.
Old 16th July 2019, 10:18 AM   #38
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
As long as covering for their coworkers wrongdoing is accepted as a good job and serving their community. Like how few of the catholic church seem to be raping kids and so merely covering it up and aiding and abetting it doesn't make them bad.
I had considered it, and there are so many police forces, that it is quite possible that most police officers would report wrongdoing, but that many don't - and police unions have far too much influence.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 10:45 AM   #39
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I had considered it, and there are so many police forces, that it is quite possible that most police officers would report wrongdoing, but that many don't - and police unions have far too much influence.
Yet at any controversial police interaction the cops always back each other. It is really hard to find situations where one officer questioned the actions of another, and way easier to find ones where they backed the lies.

Sure not definitive but then again there is no real strong evidence either way to say what % of departments actually support cleaning out bad officers.
Old 16th July 2019, 07:10 PM   #40
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

None of those hypotheticals are news stories.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events