ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th July 2019, 05:03 AM   #1
3point14
Pi

Dear Website Developers

You showing off what your clever website can do is not as important as me being able to actually read your website.

That is all.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 05:34 AM   #2
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It also isn’t as important as preserving the information that was available on the website before you started developing it.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 02:46 PM   #3
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Pet hates

1. Sites where video starts automatically, then pops up over what I am trying to read when I scroll down to a point where the video would otherwise not be visible, and has no "X" so I can't close it, and has no volume control button so I cant shut it up.

2. Sites that won't allow ad blocking but then shove garish, flashing, noisy ads in my face that take up more than half the screen.

3. "Bottomless page" sites, where I scroll down while reading an article then suddenly, another, different article pops onto my screen before I have finished reading. Grrrr!

4. Image sites (e.g. Pinterest, Google Images) where only some images load, and I have to keep clicking "show more images" as I scroll down. JUST LOAD ALL OF THE ******* IMAGES FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!! Or at the very least, have a "Load all images" button at the bottom.

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th July 2019 at 03:04 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 03:13 PM   #4
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Ah, music to my eyes.

None of the sites I host have any of that crud. Clean, readable, absolutely no ads or pop-ups. Mobile-friendly.

HTML rules.
Old 20th July 2019, 07:37 PM   #5
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
On 26 April 2018 at 09:40, I wrote to a website owner:

Quote:
May I suggest adding the day and date to the time display on the webcam page for the benefit of people in [other places]?

Thanks for considering this.

Sent: Monday, May 07, 2018 from website owner

Quote:
Hi

Thank you very much for your suggestion. This has come up before and I have given it much consideration.

However good webpage design these day leans strongly towards a minimalist principle, rather than providing information. [my emphasis. xterra]

I myself would have much more information on the page, including what you've suggested, but I am advised against it.

A large proportion of viewers to the website are from overseas and I realise that they are not fully catered to.

I really appreciate your interest.
On Fri, 1 Jun 2018, I wrote:

Quote:
I recognize that it's your website, and your choice, but with regard to the item I emphasized, as a retired university professor, my comment is this:

If a website doesn't give information, what good is it?

Of course, yours does give information, but still....
Five months later, the website owner wrote:

Quote:
Your suggestion has not been forgotten. Have a look at the website now!

I agree that it's a worthwhile improvement.

Thank you again for your interest.
Old 20th July 2019, 07:47 PM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- Literally nobody in the history of ever of all time in this and all possible universes has ever talked to a "virtual agent" by choice.
- Almost nobody wants websites to randomly pop information to them when they aren't on that webpage.
- The information people come to your website to get should be on the first page.
- When I click a link, a want to go to that link. If I want the link to open up in a new window every browser has a way to do that. If I'm on your website for 5 minutes and now have 10 tabs open just from clicking around, you fail.
- Seconding that fancy animation, menus, graphics, etc are generally not nearly as impressive as you think they are.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 07:57 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

All I ask is that restaurant websites put their contact info, hours of operation, and menu on the first page.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2019, 07:46 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Contact details are a 12th level secret, only accessible to those who have undertaken several arduous tasks.
Old 21st July 2019, 07:51 AM   #9
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Galleries that require a click-through for every picture, with no summary up front. My limit is two or three clicks.

"50 Amazing Nature Photos!!!"
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:07 AM   #10
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Galleries that require a click-through for every picture, with no summary up front. My limit is two or three clicks.

"50 Amazing Nature Photos!!!"
The purpose of most such sites is to trick you into clicking on one of the advertisers' links while you are trying to find the link that will take you to the next snippet of "content".
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 03:11 PM   #11
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
That's so clever of you to override my browser's "back" button so that it just loops back endlessly to your own homepage. Whenever a Web site does that, I just think to myself, "since I can't leave, I guess I'll just browse around here a while longer and click on all the ads and buy some stuff."

Oh, wait, no I don't. I cancel any orders already entered, delete any cookies or bookmarks, close the window, and never come back. But thanks anyhow for providing such an obvious tell that you're scum.

Last edited by Myriad; 25th July 2019 at 03:12 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 01:09 PM   #12
Faydra
sinning sybarite

One I absolutely hate, a popup window comes up with multiple pages of information.
When you click to be taken to the next page, the window resizes to fit the new information displayed. It's jarring, and annoying, and I will hate you forever for designing it to do that.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 01:18 PM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Here's one.

Has "Add to the cart to see the price" ever liked... worked? On anyone? Ever?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 01:22 PM   #14
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
That's so clever of you to override my browser's "back" button so that it just loops back endlessly to your own homepage. Whenever a Web site does that, I just think to myself, "since I can't leave, I guess I'll just browse around here a while longer and click on all the ads and buy some stuff."

Oh, wait, no I don't. I cancel any orders already entered, delete any cookies or bookmarks, close the window, and never come back. But thanks anyhow for providing such an obvious tell that you're scum.
My reaction too! Among the highest scoring on my "Just how obviously obnoxious and greedy can you be" list. Essentially telling me to never ever deal with this company ever.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 01:42 PM   #15
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Oddly, in addition to those sites that are overly aggressive about promoting their wares, I also hate the sites that make it difficult to actually buy the products you already know you wish to purchase.

This is particularly true of some of the scientific suppliers I rely on for my work, but I've seen it in may other, more broadly commercial sites. Three flaws in particular come to my mind:

1. Difficulty in actually getting to the webpages that list the items for sale. Please do not provide a splashdown page filled with glossy videos explaining how wonderful your company but that obscure (or hid) the link to your actual catalog! And please do not require me to register even before providing me with the ability to see what you are actually selling.

2. Overly inclusive search engines that make it difficult for me to find the items that I already know I wish to buy. I've searched for the term "Sony E-series 50 mm lens" and received 2,314 hits including Nikon cameras, Zeiss binoculars, lens cleaning tissue, and for some reason books on the 18th century concepts of Catholic dogma.

3. Once I've finally located the items I wish to purchase, please do not make it extra difficult for me to actually buy it. I've seen sites with multiple pages, and redundant fields, that need to be filled in just to use a credit card to buy a $15 purchase and have it shipped.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 03:04 PM   #16
MEequalsIxR
Muse

Sites that make me download a pdf to even see what they are selling.

Sites that make it difficult to find what I'm seeking. Snap-on tools for instance is an absolutely dreadful online catalog and it seems the developers tried to make it as arcane and obtuse as possible. The search function for instance is especially bad. Snap-on part numbers are usually one or more letters followed by one or more numbers sometimes followed by another letter - usually a revision level but not always. The main letter and numeric fields may be continuous, may have a hyphen, may have a space and a search for one will not return the others. It gets worse when you add in the suffixes and if it's not a current model it may return something similar or may give you an error. They just revised the site and now it's even harder to use. Plus Snap-on may mark a tool one way and list it in the catalog another. The tool may be marked F 730 and the catalog listed as F730.

McMaster Carr has a huge catalog with tens of thousands of entries and yet you can look at the catalog like a paper book or search right to the part based on part number or name and if you don't know the returns will be a list of closest items. If MC could do it with a huge catalog why can't someone do the same with a catalog a fraction of the size.

Oh, and shutting down the site for updates every week for hours at a time or even days.

It's a sword they're not meant to safe.
MEequalsIxR is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 08:40 PM   #17
Yalius
Muse

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's one.

There a reason for this.

A number of manufacturers require retailers to abide by a minimum advertised price for their goods. It's not price fixing, legally speaking, but the retailer can't advertise the price below that point-- they can sell at any price they want, so no price fixing liability, but in order to show a price below the MAP, the buyer has to jump through a few hoops indicating intent to purchase-- such as adding to a shopping card, or using a discount code or coupon during checkout. It may be annoying, but it typically indicates a selling price below what the manufacturer has approved.

An example from one of my own hobbies, Benchmade knives doesn't allow an advertised price less than 80% of MSRP. Retailers can sell for any price they want, but can't advertise or post a price below that without some handwaving.

Last edited by Yalius; 30th July 2019 at 08:44 PM.
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 11:12 PM   #18
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's one.

Originally Posted by Yalius View Post
There a reason for this.

A number of manufacturers require retailers to abide by a minimum advertised price for their goods. It's not price fixing, legally speaking, but the retailer can't advertise the price below that point-- they can sell at any price they want, so no price fixing liability, but in order to show a price below the MAP, the buyer has to jump through a few hoops indicating intent to purchase-- such as adding to a shopping card, or using a discount code or coupon during checkout. It may be annoying, but it typically indicates a selling price below what the manufacturer has approved.

An example from one of my own hobbies, Benchmade knives doesn't allow an advertised price less than 80% of MSRP. Retailers can sell for any price they want, but can't advertise or post a price below that without some handwaving.
I've encountered items on Amazon that do this and I've had no issue with just putting the item in the cart to see the price and then deleting it. Unless a website is doing something sketchy like asking for your credit card number before showing you the price, I don't see the problem with it.
rdaneel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet