ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd May 2014, 03:12 PM   #321
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,841
Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
It wasn't the time for "avoid a land war in Asia".


'Speaking personally, I'd annexe the Sudetenland...'[/monty python]
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 03:23 PM   #322
mstricky
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,533
Scorpion do not be bullied by posters on here. I too have had many messages from the dead and know that we do not die, we live on in the spiritual world. We are souls and rejoin souls in the after world and have the choice to be born again or not. In all the world I do believe that there are very few that are pychic and so the other millions do not believe us. I do know for sure there is another life after this and I live in peace with that. Sad that others can't grasp it
mstricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 03:52 PM   #323
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
... I do know for sure there is another life after this and I live in peace with that. Sad that others can't grasp it
Unfortunately, you are unable to communicate that 'truth'. You haven't presented anything that can be grasped .....
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 03:53 PM   #324
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
That would a decent way to look at "the spirit world", were that all that was involved.
The flim-flam speculators take advantage of this naive view and sell and sell and sell unless crap.
Look at that "Prayer Rug" I've mentioned... it's a 100 million dollar industry, taking advantage of the naive, gullible and fearful.
With that number of potential customers, any scam artist will avidly seek to dip into that wealth!
And all it takes is a little glitter and fast talking, and the money rolls in.
Just like the established religions.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 04:13 PM   #325
Joey McGee
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,307
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
Scorpion do not be bullied by posters on here.
Bullied? When a child tells their parent there is a monster under the bed, and the parents shows that there is no real evidence of such a thing, is that bullying too?
Quote:
I too have had many messages from the dead and know that we do not die, we live on in the spiritual world. We are souls and rejoin souls in the after world and have the choice to be born again or not. In all the world I do believe that there are very few that are pychic and so the other millions do not believe us. I do know for sure there is another life after this and I live in peace with that.
But you can't prove it?
Quote:
Sad that others can't grasp it
What's truly sad is the countless people who spend money on and give attention to total cranks like Sylvia Browne when their friends and family die or go missing. What's really sad is telling someone their child is dead and then later they turn up alive. What's really sad is having the memory of your relative tarnished by seeking solace in the babbling of frauds and mystics.


I live each day like there is no afterlife, treat other people right and make good memories now because I won't get a second chance in some paradise, what's truly sad is how people half-ass their lives and relationships because "everything happens for a reason" and "we'll meet again someday" and "after this dreaded life is over I'll be in the afterlife and I can choose not to come back" That's what is truly sad.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 04:40 PM   #326
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 28,214
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
Scorpion do not be bullied by posters on here. I too have had many messages from the dead and know that we do not die, we live on in the spiritual world. We are souls and rejoin souls in the after world and have the choice to be born again or not. In all the world I do believe that there are very few that are pychic and so the other millions do not believe us. I do know for sure there is another life after this and I live in peace with that. Sad that others can't grasp it
Absolute nonsense. Do you have ANY evidence to support your assertions of ghosts, souls, and super-powered beings? It's sad that you value this life so little that you need to dream of an afterlife.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 05:58 PM   #327
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,349
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Absolute nonsense. Do you have ANY evidence to support your assertions of ghosts, souls, and super-powered beings? It's sad that you value this life so little that you need to dream of an afterlife.
Here here, Well said.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:28 PM   #328
stanfr
Graduate Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,771
Scorpion,
out of morbid curiosity--what the heck were you painting that was just blue and white?
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:32 PM   #329
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,349
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Scorpion,
out of morbid curiosity--what the heck were you painting that was just blue and white?
A recreation of 'Blue Water Lillies by Monet' Perhaps?
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:39 PM   #330
stanfr
Graduate Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,771
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
A recreation of 'Blue Water Lillies by Monet' Perhaps?
Nah, too much green in that one
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:49 PM   #331
stanfr
Graduate Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,771
More likely, a reproduction of my masterpiece "Blue and White" (which I will sell to you
for a mere $185,000--a bargain, i tell ya!)

stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 08:29 PM   #332
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,286
Is anyone else catching the sly war hammer references?

Here is my psychic powers at work , scorpion will after a fairly long amount of time admit to just rilling up the skeptics. Either that or he pucks his worldview from splatter punk fiction and is somehow legit in his beliefs.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 08:39 PM   #333
Innocuous
Scholar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
In all the world I do believe that there are very few that are pychic and so the other millions do not believe us.
There are lots of people who are convinced they know for certain lots of different things. Evidence and reason are the best tools we have to evaluate these claims - they are how we differentiate knowledge from guessing, fantasy, or deception. If you can't show us evidence, how can we separate your strongly held belief from the next self-proclaimed psychic who tells us a different but equally-strongly held belief? Someone who is convinced that he is as rare and special as you think you are, and sure he is as right as you think you are.

Try to think up ways you can actually show your psychic powers. You might be surprised by how open-minded people are if you can show something testable under controlled, repeatable conditions. It's easy to dismiss wild assertions and speculations, as well as the tired "I know I'm right" argument. It is harder to throw away rational arguments backed with solid evidence. Beat down the unbelievers with the cudgel of evidence!

(Psychic swings Cudgel of Testing and hits Skeptic for 2741 evidence. +30% critical hit!)
Innocuous is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:28 PM   #334
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have just remembered another evidential message I had. This one was when I was at art college on a low allowance. The medium said I did not have much money but I would have more if I did not spend it all on records, she even said I purchased the big ones, not the small ones. Those were the terms she used, but I knew she was talking about LP records and not singles. The message was totally accurate and factual about what I did, because I spent most of my money on albums at that time.
I might be from your era. *I* did that! I spent much of my money on albums. Music was big. Beatles. `Stones. Who. Zeppelin. Hendrix. Etc. Had to have that stuff! Lol. I mean...look at all those kids who attended Woodstock.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:31 PM   #335
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Shouldn't she have been looking at a baby when she "saw" your brother? Did you at that time look like a baby?
Scorpion has already told us how the medium quickly explained away that mistake - by telling him/her that the baby had grown up in the spirit world. This doesn't seem consistent with everything else Scorpion has apparently been told by mediums about the nature of the spirit world, but I'm sure he/she has managed to rationalise it somehow.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:42 PM   #336
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist
 
SusanB-M1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,435
Scorpion

Ever the optimist, I do so hope that the doubts you have mentioned, and the fact that you are here on JREF, will bring you to the firm ground of reality. Also, may I say that, if you reach the clear truth that there are no messages from some afterlife, do not spend time on regret for the time invested in spiritualism etc. As a wise Aunt of mine used to say, 'You did the best you could at the time and took the decisions that were right for you at the time,' and regretting those decisions will not, cannot, change things. All the things we have done in life make us who we are now ... still keeping on trying to do the best we can!

Last edited by SusanB-M1; 2nd May 2014 at 11:44 PM.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:50 PM   #337
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
Not only does your memory seem faulty here, but also your ability to express yourself coherently...

Perhaps you'd like to clarify what you think the problem was, and support it with quotes or links to the posts you think you remember?
Sorry. I know what you mean. My phone is being shut off on me by *spirits who dont want me to say negative things here, so in my haste to post here, i didnt express myself right. Lol. I post quickly, knowing any minute that they are going to shut me off again.
.
*In reality, my server.
.
Btw, it turns out MY memory was not faulty. At least one person, and i bet others, presumed Scorpion had a baby brother who died in the war as a vet. And that wasnt the case.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:02 AM   #338
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Btw, it turns out MY memory was not faulty. At least one person, and i bet others, presumed Scorpion had a baby brother who died in the war as a vet. And that wasnt the case.
I don't remember seeing anyone else interpret what Scorpion said that way. Link?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:07 AM   #339
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
Scorpion do not be bullied by posters on here. I too have had many messages from the dead and know that we do not die, we live on in the spiritual world. We are souls and rejoin souls in the after world and have the choice to be born again or not. In all the world I do believe that there are very few that are pychic and so the other millions do not believe us. I do know for sure there is another life after this and I live in peace with that. Sad that others can't grasp it
I have fallen away from the church as i got older, and need reassurances in order to be brought back into the flock. Do go on with what you know, and how you know it. I'm all ears.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:28 AM   #340
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
I have fallen away from the church as i got older, and need reassurances in order to be brought back into the flock. Do go on with what you know, and how you know it. I'm all ears.
She's already posted at length about her experiences. In this thread, for example:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=268402
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 02:05 AM   #341
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
...
Btw, it turns out MY memory was not faulty. At least one person, and i bet others, presumed Scorpion had a baby brother who died in the war as a vet. And that wasnt the case.
Hilite by Daylightstar

The "as a vet" was added by you, Iamme.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... I was once told I had a brother that died in the war as a baby, and I was even told his name. ... he had grown up in the spirit world, and he wanted ...
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... I had a brother that died in the war as a baby, and she even told me his name. ...
But it's understandable since Scorpion employes rather ambiguous language with: "in the war" where he should have used "during he war".
This ambiguity may be intentional.

On top of that, since you have previously indicated to post from your phone exclusively, a small screen combined with fidgety typing might 'help' you fill in any missing 'details' in your mind.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 03:52 AM   #342
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,608
Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
All the things we have done in life make us who we are now ... still keeping on trying to do the best we can!
Karen and I have a playlist of favorite songs.

We met late in life.

While we often wonder how things would have played out had we met sooner, one song on that list is "Bless The Broken Road".

Maybe a bit heavy on the schmaltz, but when either one of us says "Broken Road", we know exactly what the other means.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 03:59 AM   #343
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,841
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Btw, it turns out MY memory was not faulty. At least one person, and i bet others, presumed Scorpion had a baby brother who died in the war as a vet. And that wasnt the case.
The only person I recall explicitly mentioning Scorpion's baby brother was me, and that only to say, "A lot of baby brothers died during the war" (#231).

Please put us out of our misery and link or quote the relevant post. Alternatively, explain how you're now sure your memory wasn't faulty after all...
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 04:31 AM   #344
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,551
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
For one thing the spirit body has no sexuality, and we also do not feel emotions like we do in the flesh. Also there are no great challenges or pressures put upon us as immortal spirits.
Sounds awful. Why would anybody consider this a good thing?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 05:34 AM   #345
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I haven't gone back to read it again but I understood Scorpion to mean that his brother died as a baby during the war. Not because of the war, just during it. Of course he could have been killed in the blitz.
I found the post i was looking for on page 6. But you are right. Nobody actually said anything about the brother dying while serving in the war.
I had that ingrained in my own head from the fact that my maternal and paternal brothers BOTH had brothers die in the war...as vets.
I figured the only reason a psychic would bring up the time period of the war is if someone was killed because of it. Also from the fact that if you say during the war...when is 'during'?; when the war officially began or when that person`s country entered the war?
Anyway, it was my own mind that decieved me i guess. Because of what i said.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 05:39 AM   #346
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
dlorde, see my answer above.
Kindly stop riding me.
.
Yes, it was Scorpion`s quote, as shown in post #341 just above, that indeed got me thinking the way i did.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.

Last edited by Iamme; 3rd May 2014 at 05:49 AM.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 05:48 AM   #347
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Scorpion,
out of morbid curiosity--what the heck were you painting that was just blue and white?
A picture with a lot of sky in it.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 05:58 AM   #348
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
Scorpion do not be bullied by posters on here. I too have had many messages from the dead and know that we do not die, we live on in the spiritual world. We are souls and rejoin souls in the after world and have the choice to be born again or not. In all the world I do believe that there are very few that are pychic and so the other millions do not believe us. I do know for sure there is another life after this and I live in peace with that. Sad that others can't grasp it
Yea thanks, I remember another experience that convinced me that esp exists.
I once had a friend that lived down the road, and one night I was very upset about something and I was having what might be described as a panic attack. I think it could have put me in a mental hospital that night if no one had helped me. But my friend sensed something was wrong with me, and he came running up the road. I did not answer the bell because I was too upset so he got the landlady to let him in and he came running in and said "are you alright". He then sat with me and talked me down. All I needed was a friend to talk to me and I was ok, and that is the only time it ever happened.
He did not make a habit of bursting in on me, and I did not make a habit of having a breakdown. So I have always remembered that incident as evidence to me that some people have esp.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 3rd May 2014 at 06:11 AM. Reason: typo
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:01 AM   #349
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
Pixel42, thanks i went onto that thread, read OP #1...then when i read post #2, i scratched my head, being thrown for a loop by the unexpected last sentence, so i reread it again, and scratched my head again.
.
Carry on. Not to derail.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:04 AM   #350
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Shouldn't she have been looking at a baby when she "saw" your brother? Did you at that time look like a baby?
I went on to say he had grown up in the spirit world. Babies that die grow up in the spirit world, and old people that die grow younger. Until everyone reaches the prime of life.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:05 AM   #351
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yea thanks, I remember another experience that convinced me tha esp exists.
I once had a friend that lived down the road, and one night I was very uspset about something and I was having what might be described as a panic attack. I think it could have put me in a mental hospital that night if no one had helped me. But my friend sensed something was wrong with me, and he came running up the road. I did not answer the bell because I was too upset so he got the landlady to let him in and he came running in and said "are you alright". He then sat with me and talked me down. All I needed was a friend to talk to me and I was ok, and that is the only time it ever happened.
He did not make a habit of bursting in on me, and I did not make a habit of having a breakdown. So I have always remembered that incident as evidence to me that some people have esp.
Fascinating. Gravestones explanation can`t answer THIS one.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:07 AM   #352
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
Scorpion

Ever the optimist, I do so hope that the doubts you have mentioned, and the fact that you are here on JREF, will bring you to the firm ground of reality. Also, may I say that, if you reach the clear truth that there are no messages from some afterlife, do not spend time on regret for the time invested in spiritualism etc. As a wise Aunt of mine used to say, 'You did the best you could at the time and took the decisions that were right for you at the time,' and regretting those decisions will not, cannot, change things. All the things we have done in life make us who we are now ... still keeping on trying to do the best we can!
As a matter of fact, the more I remember of my experiences, the more convinced I become that I was right, and there is a spirit world.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:08 AM   #353
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
(Slap) Oh for god`s sakes. Your landlady called him up, but didnt want to tell you. She saw you were in need of help.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:09 AM   #354
Joey McGee
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,307
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yea thanks, I remember another experience that convinced me tha esp exists.
I once had a friend that lived down the road, and one night I was very uspset about something and I was having what might be described as a panic attack. I think it could have put me in a mental hospital that night if no one had helped me. But my friend sensed something was wrong with me, and he came running up the road. I did not answer the bell because I was too upset so he got the landlady to let him in and he came running in and said "are you alright". He then sat with me and talked me down. All I needed was a friend to talk to me and I was ok, and that is the only time it ever happened.
He did not make a habit of bursting in on me, and I did not make a habit of having a breakdown. So I have always remembered that incident as evidence to me that some people have esp.
Did you ever consider an alternative explanation? Like, you were acting strangely leading up to this incident and the guy was sitting at home thinking you probably need someone to go check in on you?

How would you design a test for the existence of such esp that you feel would succeed when many decades of such tests have failed?
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:18 AM   #355
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
(Slap) Oh for god`s sakes. Your landlady called him up, but didnt want to tell you. She saw you were in need of help.
Bingo.

Scorpion: all the experiences you have described have more plausible explanations than the existence of the paranormal. If you truly find them convincing then all I can say is that IMO you have set the bar far too low.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 3rd May 2014 at 06:19 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:19 AM   #356
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
(Slap) Oh for god`s sakes. Your landlady called him up, but didnt want to tell you. She saw you were in need of help.
To my best recollection my landlady did not know my friend very well, and she therefore did not have his phone number,or know where he lived.
Besides I was alone, and sitting quietly, not attracting any attention.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:25 AM   #357
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
This might help, in trying to understand Scorpion`s latest claim; panic attacks are of short duration. While an anxiety disorder could be more apparent to someone else over a long period of time. Some people have both anxiety disorder with episodes of panic attacks.
(Any minute this phone will shut off on me for hours again.)
.
ETA: More specifically, panic attacks can come on with no apparent warning or symptoms to yourself or others observing you. But if you are an anxious person on some regular basis, that`s another story.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.

Last edited by Iamme; 3rd May 2014 at 07:25 AM.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:26 AM   #358
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 5,117
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I went on to say he had grown up in the spirit world. Babies that die grow up in the spirit world, and old people that die grow younger. Until everyone reaches the prime of life.
Human imagination is without limits off course. I hope you can see yourself that this is an ad hoc explanation that is just invented without any actual evidence behind?

I wonder why you stopped coming to the spiritualist church because when you were constantly confirmed in your belief that spiritualism is true, then surely you had every reason to keep coming there?



Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I once had a friend that lived down the road, and one night I was very upset about something and I was having what might be described as a panic attack. I think it could have put me in a mental hospital that night if no one had helped me. But my friend sensed something was wrong with me, and he came running up the road. I did not answer the bell because I was too upset so he got the landlady to let him in and he came running in and said "are you alright". He then sat with me and talked me down. All I needed was a friend to talk to me and I was ok, and that is the only time it ever happened.
He did not make a habit of bursting in on me, and I did not make a habit of having a breakdown. So I have always remembered that incident as evidence to me that some people have esp.
But he himself was unaware of it?

I have myself been aware that a person in another town was planning a suicide, even though I had had no contact with her. This was not because of any esp on my part, but was based on my knowledge of her and her life pattern. In fact, it was the lack of contact that convinced me that something was amiss. (I was right, but fortunately her suicide attempt was very half-hearted. She wanted to be found, and fortunately, she was.)
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:31 AM   #359
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,608
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
I had that ingrained in my own head from the fact that my maternal and paternal brothers BOTH had brothers die in the war...as vets.
Shows how hard it is to communicate precisely.

How could they die IN the war, if they were veterans?

Or did you mean they died, as veterans, while the war was still ongoing?

This is what makes it so hard to discern what a psychic actually said, absent a recording. And as I said before, the recording a friend presented as evidence to me of an "intuitive" was quite unconvincing.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:32 AM   #360
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I went on to say he had grown up in the spirit world. Babies that die grow up in the spirit world, and old people that die grow younger. Until everyone reaches the prime of life.
But you said earlier:

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
We cannot spiritually evolve in the spirit world as much as we can in a physical body.
which suggests we don't have physical bodies in the spirit world. Now you're saying we do, and they can age not only forward but backward?

You also said we keep incarnating and then returning to the spirit world. Why would a baby continue to be a baby in the spirit world when it could presumably just go back to the "prime of life" body it had last time?

Very little of this is making much sense to me, I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
To my best recollection my landlady did not know my friend very well, and she therefore did not have his phone number,or know where he lived.
Besides I was alone, and sitting quietly, not attracting any attention.
Perhaps she had the phone number of someone else, who rang your other friend because he was closer? Perhaps the original phone call was made when you were showing more signs of being upset, and the friend didn't get the message asking him to look in on you until later?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:58 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.