ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags scientology

Old 8th April 2015, 01:27 PM   #121
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I recommend reading the book very strongly. It has a lot of information they did not have have time for in the documentary.
I also recommend "Bold Faced Messiah" which goes into more detail about the life of Hubbard then "Going Clear" does.
Thanks for the tip - BFM is on my to-read list.

I know this may be a statement against interest, but I admit that I read all the way through Battlefield Earth before it was ever made into a movie, and I pretty much formed my personal opinion on LRH through Dianetics and BE, and no. it's not favorable.

I recognize ******** w/o having to step in it.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2015, 01:36 PM   #122
ComfySlippers
Banned

Scientology in decline\High noon...

They are good books for people unfamiliar with the bs that is $cientology, LRH and Miscavige.
Tony Ortega's blog is more up to the minute, if you want up to date info about what these numpties are up to present day. "underground bunker".
It's quite hilarious how the most enlightened people on the planet didn't notice that the Internet was invented, and that their glorious drug riddled messiah didn't see it coming.

ETA:
"Blown For Good" by Mark Headly is a good read.
I have an autographed copy.

Last edited by ComfySlippers; 8th April 2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: add
ComfySlippers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2015, 04:08 PM   #123
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Thanks for the tip - BFM is on my to-read list.

I know this may be a statement against interest, but I admit that I read all the way through Battlefield Earth before it was ever made into a movie, and I pretty much formed my personal opinion on LRH through Dianetics and BE, and no. it's not favorable.

I recognize ******** w/o having to step in it.
The novel Battlefield Earth was bad enough to convince me not to bother with the movie.
BTW Going Clear goes into details about how deeply the COS was invovled in the making of the movie...until it became a huge, embarassing bomb,and the COS dropped the movie like a hot potato,and only Travolta's fame kept him from being punished in the way COS employees were punished for screwing up.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2015, 06:50 PM   #124
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I recommend reading the book very strongly. It has a lot of information they did not have have time for in the documentary.
I also recommend "Bold Faced Messiah" which goes into more detail about the life of Hubbard then "Going Clear" does.
Bare Faced Messiah.
Old 8th April 2015, 07:17 PM   #125
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Bare Faced Messiah.
Sure. Sure. You can read that one too if you like.
Old 9th April 2015, 01:57 PM   #126
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And another one of COS's celebs has broken with the church.
Lisa Marie Presely had been rumored to have quit the church for some time, but the rumors have turned to fact with her tweeting praises of the Documentary "Going Clear".
So the daughter of the King has definently left the COS building.....
It must be really tense between her and her mother, since Priscilla is still a devout worshipper of L Ron Hubbard.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2015, 06:39 AM   #127
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

And another one of COS's celebs has broken with the church.
Lisa Marie Presely had been rumored to have quit the church for some time, but the rumors have turned to fact with her tweeting praises of the Documentary "Going Clear".
So the daughter of the King has definently left the COS building.....
It must be really tense between her and her mother, since Priscilla is still a devout worshipper of L Ron Hubbard.....

If I'm not mistaken, Lisa Marie is the one with the money. Shouldn't be any problem at all.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 01:24 PM   #128
eerok
Quixoticist

Here's a petition to revoke the COS's tax-exempt status:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-exempt-status

I'd love to see this happen.
Old 15th April 2015, 01:59 PM   #129
ComfySlippers
Banned

Scientology in decline\High noon...

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Here's a petition to revoke the COS's tax-exempt status:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-exempt-status

I'd love to see this happen.

Yes, but unlikely.
Whilst CO$ in USA has to file tax returns the IRS, I believe, do not have the power to check if they are being truthful or not.

Were it to ever happen I'd imagine CO$'would do what they do here in the UK.
Here they are not allowed to pretend to be a church or a charity, so their head office is registered in Australia where they do have charity status.
(They aren't even allowed to use the word church here)

Two interesting points:
Senator Xenophon in AUS battled hard for reforms and succeeded in altering the rules so that detailed tax returns must be filed by AUS charities. This means that all the financial shenanigans of CO$ UK are available for all to see.

Secondly: the owner of the small house in AUS was quite surprised to learn that he lived in the AUS based registered office of the UKs CO$

http://tonyortega.org/2015/02/25/now...rs/#more-20610

Last edited by ComfySlippers; 15th April 2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
ComfySlippers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 02:07 PM   #130
George 152
Philosopher

L Ron Hubbards religion is even worse than his SF
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 02:21 PM   #131
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

And did you ever hear the guy? Without even knowing who it was at first, I thought, if ever there is a person that sounds exactly like the Devil should sound, that is the guy.
Old 16th April 2015, 08:15 AM   #132
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

The novel Battlefield Earth was bad enough to convince me not to bother with the movie.
I saw the film in the theatre almost at random, some friends and I wanted to see a movie, and that was sci-fi and had Travolta in it. Never heard anything about it prior to that, so wasn't aware of the Scientology connection. Because of how awful it was I went to the library to pick up the book; knowing how badly films tend to screw things up compared to the original source material. I made it roughly three chapters, before determining that the book was even worse than the film. At least the film managed to tone down the racism, and cut the ridiculously long-winded, pompous diatribes. (Seriously, that crap was the kind of tortuous, rambling monologue-filled self-indulgence that would cause Ayn Rand to demand an editor.)
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2015, 10:53 AM   #133
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by skeptichaggis View Post
Xenu and the galactic federation is really no dafter than a talking snake,Muhammad's flying horse,reincarnation or hitching a lift on the hale-bop comet. The claim that anyone can fall for those scams is(I think,but I'm wrong more often than right) not entirely correct. Even when I was ten if someone had tried to tell me Asimov's the last question-one of my all time fav SciFi tales-was true and tried to sell me a religion based on it I would have ran and told my dad a weird scary man was talking to me.
But as they emphasize in the latest documentary, Xenu and his related kookiness is not shown to the newest recruits. The CoS pitchmen instead say that this is science which deals with the human mind and its associated states of happiness and unhappiness. The wacky Xenu stories are not rolled out until one is one the hook for several thousand dollars.

I am not saying anyone can fall for Scientology's scam; I am saying that the early stages of Scientology's scam can look far more tempting than the average religion and far, far more tempting than science fiction published in pulp magazines in the 1950's.

As more and more knowledge leaks out, they will recruit fewer and fewer people. But my point is that one should not be surprised that so many signed up in the first place.
Old 16th April 2015, 12:08 PM   #134
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
But as they emphasize in the latest documentary, Xenu and his related kookiness is not shown to the newest recruits. The CoS pitchmen instead say that this is science which deals with the human mind and its associated states of happiness and unhappiness. The wacky Xenu stories are not rolled out until one is one the hook for several thousand dollars.

I am not saying anyone can fall for Scientology's scam; I am saying that the early stages of Scientology's scam can look far more tempting than the average religion and far, far more tempting than science fiction published in pulp magazines in the 1950's.

As more and more knowledge leaks out, they will recruit fewer and fewer people. But my point is that one should not be surprised that so many signed up in the first place.
Exactly. Why would anyone turn down a free intelligence test?
Old 16th April 2015, 12:37 PM   #135
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Exactly. Why would anyone turn down a free intelligence test?
If you turn it down, you passed.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2015, 08:13 PM   #136
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
If you turn it down, you passed.
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Old 17th April 2015, 10:56 AM   #137
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

I think that the leaking out of the OT III garbage (Xenu,the VOlcanoes, and the DC 8 space ships) in the early 90's,and it's publicising on the Internet was decisive in doing damage to the COS. A lot of people who might have been sucked in took one look on the Xenu wackiness ,laughed their heads off, and refused to take the COS seriously after that.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th April 2015, 05:48 PM   #138
Marcus
Master Poster

I know we have some actual Scientologists here, perhaps they are still around?

I understand that Xenu wackiness has little to do with your daily experience, it's all about the tech, and what it does for you. It's been stated before that all the crazy stuff we like to talk about doesn't even come up in the life of your ordinary Scientologist.

Still, you must have some opinion on the impact of the Information Age, the ability of anyone to hear what is told to high level Scientologists. on the religion.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2015, 06:59 PM   #139
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I know we have some actual Scientologists here, perhaps they are still around?

I understand that Xenu wackiness has little to do with your daily experience, it's all about the tech, and what it does for you. It's been stated before that all the crazy stuff we like to talk about doesn't even come up in the life of your ordinary Scientologist.

Still, you must have some opinion on the impact of the Information Age, the ability of anyone to hear what is told to high level Scientologists. on the religion.
I think all of our pet Scientologists have gone into hiding. Or maybe they are back at their local Org being re-cleared.

Old 4th November 2016, 03:22 AM   #140
catsmate
No longer the 1

Bump.
The first trailer for Leah Remini's Scientology and the Aftermath documentary series has been released and is causing waves.
It features former "church" members discussing child rape and beatings among other things.

The series airs in the USA on 29 November.

Hollywood Reporter piece.
The trailer. The usual warnings apply.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2016, 06:26 AM   #141
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

For an early examination of Hubbard and his nonsense, dig up a copy of "Cults Of Unreason" by Christopher Evans from 1973. Scientology is just one of the subjects addressed, and this is from the early days, when Hubbard was floating around on a tramp steamer and calling it the start of his "Sea Org".

Good stuff.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2016, 11:28 PM   #142
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Went to see Louis Theroux's take on $cientology at the weekend. Little about Hubbard's nuttiness, more about the senior apostates, their stories, and the disconnect between that and the church's official line. A fair sprinkling of the church's intimidation tactics thrown in for good measure.

The wife learned stuff, not sure I did, but I was entertained for 1.5 hours and had my "prejudices" against the church confirmed
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 04:36 PM   #143
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

'I've had enough, I'm done': Priscilla Presley, 72, becomes the latest celebrity to quit Scientology 40 years after joining religious sect when husband Elvis died.

Originally Posted by DailyMail
Priscilla Presley has become the latest celebrity to walk away from the controversial Church of Scientology, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Presley, 72, who has been a member of the religious sect which counts Tom Cruise and John Travolta as members, told friends she had quit the religion after nearly four decades.

‘I’ve had enough. I’m done,’ said Presley, who recently dated singer Tom Jones. She is believed to have joined Scientology after the death of husband Elvis.

‘Priscilla reached out to John Travolta after Elvis died in 1977 and that’s how she ended up in the church,’ a source said. ‘She has been in it ever since and she raised her daughter Lisa Marie in it.’

Lisa Marie quit the church in 2014. ‘Lisa Marie leaving made it hard for Priscilla,’ the source added. ‘They are very close as a family and leaving the church has been a family decision.’...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ientology.html
Old 21st October 2017, 05:28 PM   #144
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Church of Scientology has opened a £4.2m HQ in Birmingham.
Grade II listed Pitmaston House, in the Moseley suburb, was snapped up in 2007 by the group, which was founded by science fiction author L Ron Hubbard.
There was a heavy security presence around the building during an opening ceremony, at which senior church figures gave speeches.
A request for an interview about the new "Ideal Org", or headquarters, was turned down.
The church claims the building, which is the second of its kind in the UK, will house a training centre and a chapel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-41697303
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 08:33 PM   #145
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
'I've had enough, I'm done': Priscilla Presley, 72, becomes the latest celebrity to quit Scientology 40 years after joining religious sect when husband Elvis died.

I guess Priscilla wasn't interested in having her own planet and living for a billion years. Silly girl.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:08 AM   #146
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I guess Priscilla wasn't interested in having her own planet and living for a billion years. Silly girl.
Daily Mail, read with a boulder of salt at your side.
Old 23rd October 2017, 04:22 AM   #147
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If only she'd been boulder, she would have left earlier...

I'll get my coat.
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:40 PM   #148
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
If only she'd been boulder, she would have left earlier...
Can you *********** Brits stop adding a "u" to everything!

Quote:
I'll get my coat.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 04:50 AM   #149
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
To wit, there are now several news articles quoting a denial by Presley's spokesperson/publicist that she has left.

It's quite possible that she made a decision made to leave and was convinced to change her mind. Pure speculation on my part.
Old 24th October 2017, 04:58 AM   #150
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
To wit, there are now several news articles quoting a denial by Presley's spokesperson/publicist that she has left.

It's quite possible that she made a decision made to leave and was convinced to change her mind. Pure speculation on my part.
Or that she left and scientology does not want to admit it. They have a history of attempting to harass former members to remain/return.
Old 24th October 2017, 05:38 AM   #151
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Huh. Didn't even know she was in it.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:40 AM   #152
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Not ounly the brits, my gououd sir. It's just the prouper way tou write English!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 06:04 AM   #153
Octavo
Illuminator

Well if you bloody yanks had bothered to colonise Africa instead of farting about in America, I'd probably think aluminium(al-u-min-ium) was pronounced aloominum and we wouldn't have this conundrum, but noooo, and now it's our fault that you guys failed to do the whole Empire thing right.

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Not ounly the brits, my gououd sir. It's just the prouper way tou write English!
Oi! Stoup taking the piss!
Old 24th October 2017, 06:21 AM   #154
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Nou.
Old 24th October 2017, 07:41 AM   #155
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Well if you bloody yanks had bothered to colonise Africa instead of farting about in America, I'd probably think aluminium(al-u-min-ium) was pronounced aloominum and we wouldn't have this conundrum, but noooo, and now it's our fault that you guys failed to do the whole Empire thing right.
We were young and pillaging is a lot easier than colonizing. Or would that be coulounizing?

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 07:46 AM   #156
Argumemnon
World Maker

*Colounise.

ETA: Screw you, Keith.

Old 24th October 2017, 11:44 AM   #157
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Or that she left and scientology does not want to admit it. They have a history of attempting to harass former members to remain/return.
"The church has always vehemently denied all charges of wrongdoing against it." Yes of course, they couldn't be up to no good because they're a church and churches aren't people, they're just churches. A church can't hurt you because it's just a church. Only people can hurt you and we're not people. We're. A. Church.

Funny how "the church" is so willing to take 40 years of somebody's life, take tens or hundreds of thousands of their dollars for "books and supplies", claim they've taught them all the enlightened ways of the universe, and then go completely ape **** on them if they happen to want to "leave" the church. What exactly are they leaving? A group of formerly like minded individuals with whom they now disagree, or some sort of indentured servitude existence at the mercy of a self-appointed megalomaniac douchenozzle (Miscavige) who's allowed to pretend the big-con is a "church" and if he doesn't want you to go you're not going?

And WTF is the federal government up to in allowing Scientology to perpetuate? It's clearly a lot of things, but church seems to be way down that list. It's certainly below "ongoing criminal organization".
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 03:02 PM   #158
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
ETA: Screw you, Keith.
You're welcome.

Old 25th October 2017, 03:16 PM   #159
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, Coul it guys.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 08:35 AM   #160
GT/CS
Illuminator

Oi! Stoup taking the piss!
That's in interesting spelling of aluminum.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal