ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 28th September 2017, 08:05 AM   #81
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I see no way a medium could have known about my brother, as my mother was not a spiritualist and had never been to the church. The medium was visiting the town for the church service, and I had never seen her before.
The fact that you do not see a way does not mean there wasn't one.

A chance acquaintance with someone who knew your mother would be all that was required for this particular hit.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:08 AM   #82
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Not only the above but I sat in a spiritualist developing circle for a few months in the
1970's and it was conducted by a friend of mine who developed psychic powers in front of my eyes. His name was Trevor Williams and although I lost touch with him many years ago I know he is still a practicing medium. I saw him give his first church service and he told me after it that he was very nervous and asked for help., and the spirits of two monks came and stood each side of him.
I do not think he was trying to fool me as he was a friend, and I had seen him go into a trance in the circle. He had a Chinese spirit guide that took him into trance and spoke through him, and I was able to speak to the guide.

My experience is extensive over many years, and I could feel psychic energy, although I did not develop into a medium myself.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:11 AM   #83
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
I'm sure your friend was as honestly mistaken as you are.

It really is astonishingly easy to convince yourself you are getting more accurate readings than would be expected by chance/intelligent guesswork, even though you are not.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:14 AM   #84
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The fact that you do not see a way does not mean there wasn't one.

A chance acquaintance with someone who knew your mother would be all that was required for this particular hit.
My mother did not talk about having a baby that died, even to her own brother. In recent years before they both died my mother and her brother were sitting at the dinner table and I mentioned the message I had, and my uncle said to my mother " You had a baby that died I didn't know that". My mother said " well I didn't go around telling everyone".

My mother agreed with me the medium must have been genuine.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:20 AM   #85
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
Add your mother to the list of people who are too easily convinced of the existence of the supernatural.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:20 AM   #86
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,842
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Are you a strong atheist? By that I mean, are you convinced that reality is such that there are no gods?
Define "gods".
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:20 AM   #87
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm sure your friend was as honestly mistaken as you are.
I do not see how he could be mistaken about having the ability to converse with the spirit world. Either he could or he could not and was lying about it.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:22 AM   #88
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
My mother agreed with me the medium must have been genuine.
If I had psychic powers that were 'genuine', I be out placing bets on as many horse races that I could and I'd buying tickets on every lottery. But perhaps that's just me.

Haven't you ever wondered why 'genuine' psychics don't do this???
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:26 AM   #89
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I do not see how he could be mistaken about having the ability to converse with the spirit world. Either he could or he could not and was lying about it.
All it takes is a good imagination.

I'm sure there are quite a few amateur psychics who attribute the information they are unconsciously gathering to some kind of spirit talking to them. That's almost certainly how this particular supernatural belief got started in the first place.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:27 AM   #90
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
If I had psychic powers that were 'genuine', I be out placing bets on as many horse races that I could and I'd buying tickets on every lottery. But perhaps that's just me.

Haven't you ever wondered why 'genuine' psychics don't do this???
I did get a five number win on the lottery by getting the numbers given to me telepathically. The spirit world wanted me to have a computer I could not afford at the time in 1998. A voice told me "help is coming from and unexpected source" And I won just enough money to buy a computer and pay off my credit card. I have naturally wanted them to give me a big win ever since, but they will not because it would be bad karma to cheat the lottery.

I was given a small win as a special dispensation but the normal rules are that you cannot abuse psychic power for personal gain. Yes the spirit world has rules. that is why mediums are not rich.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 28th September 2017 at 08:33 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:33 AM   #91
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,355
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I went to spiritualist churches for thirty or more years, and attended many trance lectures by a number of famous mediums during the 1970's

In that time I had many evidential messages and in the end I concluded the simplest explanation for mediums being so accurate many times was that they were doing what they said they were doing, and talking to the spirits of the departed.

I know they were not cold reading because of the facts I was told and the idea they were all fooling me with some kind of research is untenable because I attended many different churches up and down the country and saw new mediums I did not know. Never the less they said things like. " I have got your grandmother here, she says she has been through to you many times before".
I did have many messages from my grandparents that told me things only I could have known, and over the years this convinced me some mediums are genuine.
I asked you if you could get hold of one of these people who supposedly communicate with the dead for real, and that I'd happily set up a reading and film it for this forum, giving one member who doesn't know me some details about myself via a PM, and then we could see how many actual hits the medium gets. You told me that you didn't attend church anymore and that you do not know any of these mediums who you found to be so thorough and honest.

There's not much else to be said on the subject when you've no proof, and no willingness to show us anything other than the usual stories.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:41 AM   #92
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,355
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I did get a five number win on the lottery by getting the numbers given to me telepathically. The spirit world wanted me to have a computer I could not afford at the time in 1998. A voice told me "help is coming from and unexpected source" And I won just enough money to buy a computer and pay off my credit card. I have naturally wanted them to give me a big win ever since, but they will not because it would be bad karma to cheat the lottery.
Why would the spirit world want you to have a computer? Does that even sound remotely logical to you? Don't answer that!

Being "told" that help is coming from an unexpected source is so utterly vague that it could and would literally apply to anything. If you'd found a fiver 2 months later you'd be attributing it to that "message."

Karma is another funny one. You do something bad, something bad happens to you. Erm, that's just how life works, you will probably do something bad at some point, and at some point something bad will probably happen to you, but that ignores the problem that lot of good things will also happen to you, yet you avoid acknowledging those because they don't fit the premise of karma.

Good and bad things happen to everyone, regardless of how they choose to live. There are murderers and rapists living life under new identities right now, as happy as Larry, so you expect me to believe that when they stub their toe, that that's karma? Seriously?

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I was given a small win as a special dispensation but the normal rules are that you cannot abuse psychic power for personal gain. Yes the spirit world has rules. that is why mediums are not rich.
What rules are you on about, though? Who makes the rules pertaining to psychic powers? lol. Mediums aren't rich because they're nowt but a bunch of warped liars. If they were genuinely able to seek messages from beyond, they'd be rolling around in buried loot and lottery wins galore.

The reason they're all working Sunday evenings down the social club is because they're hucksters who cannot do what they claim to be able to do. They not only lack psychic powers, but they lack shame.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:42 AM   #93
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
I asked you if you could get hold of one of these people who supposedly communicate with the dead for real, and that I'd happily set up a reading and film it for this forum, giving one member who doesn't know me some details about myself via a PM, and then we could see how many actual hits the medium gets. You told me that you didn't attend church anymore and that you do not know any of these mediums who you found to be so thorough and honest.

There's not much else to be said on the subject when you've no proof, and no willingness to show us anything other than the usual stories.
If you really wanted to find out you could attend a spiritualist church yourself. It might take years of attending to get evidential messages, because the spirit world has no interest in proving its existence to just anyone.
The universe is a plane of experience that is deliberately kept from direct evidence of higher worlds, because the human race is here to evolve spiritually through trial and error and free will.
We are all going to have to account for our actions in this world when we die and finally see the truth. To give absolute proof of afterlife and God would interfere with the choices we make, as we would be contained by fear.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:54 AM   #94
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,355
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
If you really wanted to find out you could attend a spiritualist church yourself. It might take years of attending to get evidential messages, because the spirit world has no interest in proving its existence to just anyone.
Then why does "it" bother with us at all? The spirit world isn't interested in proving its existence, but it is interested in sending a random bloke like you some messages about buying a computer, giving you the lottery numbers, and telling old Norma down the street that her dead cat misses her and can't wait to see her again.

Why would anyone need to attend a spiritualist church for "years" in order to receive a message? I'd hazard a guess that it's about you turning up, donating money, and them gleaning information from you that they can dole back out to you in a different form.


Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The universe is a plane of experience that is deliberately kept from direct evidence of higher worlds, because the human race is here to evolve spiritually through trial and error and free will.
We are all going to have to account for our actions in this world when we die and finally see the truth. To give absolute proof of afterlife and God would interfere with the choices we make, as we would be contained by fear.
You're making a lot of bold claims in that paragraph that are sorely lacking any evidence. You've never been in any other universe other than the one you're currently in, with me, and every other bugger on here. You're no more privy to information from the Great Beyond than I am.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:55 AM   #95
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Why would the spirit world want you to have a computer? Does that even sound remotely logical to you? Don't answer that!

Being "told" that help is coming from an unexpected source is so utterly vague that it could and would literally apply to anything. If you'd found a fiver 2 months later you'd be attributing it to that "message."

Karma is another funny one. You do something bad, something bad happens to you. Erm, that's just how life works, you will probably do something bad at some point, and at some point something bad will probably happen to you, but that ignores the problem that lot of good things will also happen to you, yet you avoid acknowledging those because they don't fit the premise of karma.

Good and bad things happen to everyone, regardless of how they choose to live. There are murderers and rapists living life under new identities right now, as happy as Larry, so you expect me to believe that when they stub their toe, that that's karma? Seriously?



What rules are you on about, though? Who makes the rules pertaining to psychic powers? lol. Mediums aren't rich because they're nowt but a bunch of warped liars. If they were genuinely able to seek messages from beyond, they'd be rolling around in buried loot and lottery wins galore.

The reason they're all working Sunday evenings down the social club is because they're hucksters who cannot do what they claim to be able to do. They not only lack psychic powers, but they lack shame.
I believe the spirit world wanted me to have a computer so I could do what I am doing, which is to express my views on various forums since 9/11 and do things like criticize the Quran. Mainly to try and show Muslims they are following a false prophet.

Karma works over many lifetimes through reincarnation, murderers and rapists may get born into hard circumstances that are designed to teach them the compassion they lack.

As for the rules of psychic matters and karmic laws the ultimate source is God.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:58 AM   #96
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,839
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Good and bad things happen to everyone, regardless of how they choose to live. There are murderers and rapists living life under new identities right now, as happy as Larry, so you expect me to believe that when they stub their toe, that that's karma? Seriously?
A while back the UK lottery was won by a convicted rapist who was actually in jail at the time. It was amusing how outraged some people were by it, as if the universe had deliberately done something to affront them.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 09:01 AM   #97
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post

You're making a lot of bold claims in that paragraph that are sorely lacking any evidence. You've never been in any other universe other than the one you're currently in, with me, and every other bugger on here. You're no more privy to information from the Great Beyond than I am.
Like I said I have attended many trance lectures by famous mediums during the 1970s. One was Grace Cook, the founder of White Eagle lodge, and another was Ursula Roberts, a medium that worked at the spiritualist association in London. Another was Ivy Northage. I believe all of them are now dead but there is information about them on the Internet.

I built up a picture of what may be the truth during these many trance lectures, and that is my source of information about the spirit world.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 09:03 AM   #98
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,165
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Agnosticism does not require evidence. YOU are claiming reality is a certain way (atheistic). I make no claims, other than to wonder why you are so sure of yours. I recommend Plato, Hume, Descartes and Berkeley. There's nothing I can add to what's already been said.
My problem with smug agnosticism is that it's so unevenly applied. I see plenty of people say "You can't be sure! How can you possibly say that you know there's no god!" but I never see those same people get all ruffled when someone says they don't believe in fairies, or elves, or Zeus, or Superman, or Russel's Teapot, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

If I ask you if you believe in unicorns, would you say "I don't know! I would never claim reality is a specific way, I make no claims!" or would you say "no of course I don't believe in unicorns"?
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 09:27 AM   #99
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,355
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
A while back the UK lottery was won by a convicted rapist who was actually in jail at the time. It was amusing how outraged some people were by it, as if the universe had deliberately done something to affront them.
Also, that guy who won it and used his money to fund an Irish criminal gang, IIRC.

I think he was known as the "Chav" something or other.

I'm guessing he saved a nun's life in a previous life, and was granted a lotterly win in this one as a thank-you from the Man Upstairs.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 09:29 AM   #100
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,355
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Like I said I have attended many trance lectures by famous mediums during the 1970s. One was Grace Cook, the founder of White Eagle lodge, and another was Ursula Roberts, a medium that worked at the spiritualist association in London. Another was Ivy Northage. I believe all of them are now dead but there is information about them on the Internet.
Yeah, and all of that info about them will no doubt tell me what is already plainly obvious.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I built up a picture of what may be the truth during these many trance lectures, and that is my source of information about the spirit world.
So this version of truth about the spirit world has largely been thought up by you?
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 10:25 AM   #101
TruthJonsen
New Blood
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 8
To get back to the OPs question:

Yes, I am bothered by the surreal 'Twilight Zone' creepy feeling. Not bothered as in Mad, but rather Sad. I am in the Southeast US and it is on acid down here. Religious sentiment flows from local news commentators, shop clerks and casual acquaintances on the street.

I am way too introverted to do this, but I want to help them. Think of all the unnecessary guilt and fear, the required warping of the children, the wasted time. They all seem to be denying their inner self and just acting out a script. The odd thing is that the typical victims of this cherish freedom and self reliance, but have fallen victim to this tired old manipulative control scam.

At the risk of fueling the "Atheism is just another religion" argument, I sometimes fantasize about there being an evangelical wing of the atheist movement...

They would not rest until they could teach everyone about the joy and empowerment that comes with true self reliance and responsibility, casting off the unhealthy chains of fear, guilt and servitude. Saving them not from an afterlife hell, but from a hell in the current life.

Of course, they would have certain catch phrases as well, like: "Have you lost Jesus?"

And it would not be complete without a vibrant foreign missionary program. They would go to all the previously corrupted cultures and tell them: "We are sorry, we had it all wrong. You can stop sending money now. You can start using birth control as we no longer need to spread the religion."
TruthJonsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 10:29 AM   #102
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post

Why would the universe need you to spread its message?

I'm pretty sure that your God wouldn't want you to be as ignorant as to assume that you were believing in the correct prophet and that you should bother other people with your ideas of right and wrong.


Yeah, so God chooses random blokes like you to deliver His messages to the heathens of the world? And you're genuinely not living in a rubber room right now?

Funny how God creates rules that enable nutters to spread hate, ain't it?
The universe does not need me to spread its message but it may think some good will come of me spreading what I have learned.

I think it is in the interests of the spirit world to free Muslims from a false doctrine of a fearful cruel God that was all made up by Muhammad to scare people, and I am someone with enough knowledge to know that after reading the Quran.

I am not spreading hate I am trying to undermine a religion which itself spreads hatred of unbelievers in Muhammad and says they are cursed by God and will burn in eternal hellfire. Everything I have ever learned tells me this is not true.

Obviously atheists will not believe these things, but Muslims do and if I am trying to do anything I am trying to liberate them from fear.

I did start a thread here about whether the Quran is the word of God, but it was not of interest to a sceptics forum as you automatically assume it is not.
I too came to that conclusion after reading the Quran, but unlike skeptics I think there probably is a God.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 10:46 AM   #103
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,355
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The universe does not need me to spread its message but it may think some good will come of me spreading what I have learned.
It doesn't need you to spread its message, but it does it anyway, because being immortal gets boring, and every now and then, it's a bit of fun to just randomly bestow some divine knowledge on random blokes in England, kind of like how E.T.'s like to randomly abduct random people from the back-woods of America.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I think it is in the interests of the spirit world to free Muslims from a false doctrine of a fearful cruel God that was all made up by Muhammad to scare people, and I am someone with enough knowledge to know that after reading the Quran.
I'm not sure that the spirit world would give much of a toss about which spirit people chose to believe in, seeing as they're all largely unproven. Your entire argument could be flipped on its head to describe mad Christians, too. I frankly think this argument is as mad as the crazy extreme Islamic crap we hear, and that neither rhetoric is beneficial to anyone. I wish that any extreme form of religion would generally bugger off.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I am not spreading hate I am trying to undermine a religion which itself spreads hatred of unbelievers in Muhammad and says they are cursed by God and will burn in eternal hellfire. Everything I have ever learned tells me this is not true.
You're not spreading hate, you're just purposefully undermining another person's religion and telling them that they're wrong, all based on messages you've received from the spirit world. Everything I have ever learned tells me this is a ridiculous way to live.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Obviously atheists will not believe these things, but Muslims do and if I am trying to do anything I am trying to liberate them from fear.
Seems to me you're both in the same boat, you're all rambling on about hearing voices and seem about 3 steps away from committing some kind of crime.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I did start a thread here about whether the Quran is the word of God, but it was not of interest to a sceptics forum as you automatically assume it is not.
I too came to that conclusion after reading the Quran, but unlike skeptics I think there probably is a God.
It's just that your God is the best God, ain't it? And so it goes, the stupidity of the human race continues.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 10:55 AM   #104
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I was given a small win as a special dispensation but the normal rules are that you cannot abuse psychic power for personal gain. Yes the spirit world has rules. that is why mediums are not rich.
TBH, that's pretty much the type of answer that I was expecting. I just get a kick out of hearing people like you say it out loud.

I guess the 'rules' do not permit cheating lotteries or horse races but bilking gullible people gets a pass.

Do you know who John Edward is and what he does or did? He became a multimillionaire by supposedly talking with the spirit world. I think that's a pretty good example of "abusing" psychic power for personal gain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBqlpJb1Xg
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark

Last edited by Autolite; 28th September 2017 at 11:25 AM.
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 11:09 AM   #105
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
The spirit world isn't interested in proving its existence, but it is interested in sending a random bloke like you some messages about buying a computer, giving you the lottery numbers.
Well maybe there might be something to this. I need to upgrade the RAM on my old gaming desktop but I just don't have the cash. Is there any particular spirit that I can contact who can help me out? I'm not asking for much. Just a couple of good sticks of DDR2 would be all that is needed..
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 11:23 AM   #106
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
How can you possibly say that you know there's no god!" but I never see those same people get all ruffled when someone says they don't believe in fairies, or elves, or Zeus, or Superman, or Russel's Teapot, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
It's interesting that no one (AFAIK) has ever been accused of being 'closed-minded' or labeled an Atheist for not believing in Thor, Zeus, Dionysus, Mythra or any of the countless other 'gods' before the Christian god became popular.

Why is that???
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 11:48 AM   #107
kali1137
Critical Thinker
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
You're not spreading hate, you're just purposefully undermining another person's religion and telling them that they're wrong, all based on messages you've received from the spirit world. Everything I have ever learned tells me this is a ridiculous way to live.




It's just that your God is the best God, ain't it? And so it goes, the stupidity of the human race continues.
This right here is a prime example of why it does in fact bother me. One believer simply cannot leave opposing believers alone. I can find violent, hateful nonsense in any religion out there. They all gotta hate someone or something. Not to leave out the ones who just have to save everyone.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 03:07 PM   #108
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 56,224
Apparently it's impossible for mediums to consult records of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
__________________
Read my fantasy novel for free!
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 06:19 PM   #109
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Apparently it's impossible for mediums to consult records of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Genealogy. Fascinating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65QRaR16io
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 03:24 AM   #110
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,835
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I did get a five number win on the lottery by getting the numbers given to me telepathically. The spirit world wanted me to have a computer I could not afford at the time in 1998. A voice told me "help is coming from and unexpected source" And I won just enough money to buy a computer and pay off my credit card. I have naturally wanted them to give me a big win ever since, but they will not because it would be bad karma to cheat the lottery.

I was given a small win as a special dispensation but the normal rules are that you cannot abuse psychic power for personal gain. Yes the spirit world has rules. that is why mediums are not rich.
OK, maybe the spirit world has rules about not profiting, but there are many other ways they could help.
What about unsolved murders? Why can't the victim say who killed them, so criminals could be brought to justice?
What about people who have just disappeared? Could they not give some sense of closure to their relatives and loved ones?
What about those who have died, or even been executed, when they were accused of crimes of which they were innocent? Can't they tell us who really did it?
Strange, is it not, that none of these things have ever happened....Unless, Scorpion or any other believers, you have examples of this happening.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 06:37 AM   #111
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
OK, maybe the spirit world has rules about not profiting, but there are many other ways they could help.
What about unsolved murders? Why can't the victim say who killed them, so criminals could be brought to justice?
What about people who have just disappeared? Could they not give some sense of closure to their relatives and loved ones?
What about those who have died, or even been executed, when they were accused of crimes of which they were innocent? Can't they tell us who really did it?
Strange, is it not, that none of these things have ever happened....Unless, Scorpion or any other believers, you have examples of this happening.
I think all that comes under the category that the spirit world is not allowed to directly interfere with human evolution. They are allowed to try to inspire people and give some comfort through spiritual teachings. But not to meddle directly in human affairs.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 07:00 AM   #112
kali1137
Critical Thinker
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I think all that comes under the category that the spirit world is not allowed to directly interfere with human evolution. They are allowed to try to inspire people and give some comfort through spiritual teachings. But not to meddle directly in human affairs.
Interesting. Are the rules covered in the Handbook for the Recently Deceased? What happens if they break the rules? Is this also why spirits seem to lose the ability to speak any known language and are reduced to pantomime for answers? An awful lot of mediums seem to say "Well he's showing me water - or she is making this motion, was it an accident?"
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 07:10 AM   #113
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Interesting. Are the rules covered in the Handbook for the Recently Deceased? What happens if they break the rules? Is this also why spirits seem to lose the ability to speak any known language and are reduced to pantomime for answers? An awful lot of mediums seem to say "Well he's showing me water - or she is making this motion, was it an accident?"
In my experience some mediums can carry on conversations with spirits.
The medium that told me I had a brother that died as a baby and grew up in the spirit world told me things he was saying.
There are mediums who can hear and see spirits and mediums that can only feel them.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 07:44 AM   #114
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,344
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I believe.......
Yep, clearly you do. Almost any old thing. However, here, belief is unimportant. Evidence is what counts. What are you going to do about providing some?
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 07:57 AM   #115
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,082
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
What about those who have died, or even been executed, when they were accused of crimes of which they were innocent? Can't they tell us who really did it?
To be fair, if they could, they'd probably have done that before they were executed; just because someone's wrongly convicted of a crime, that's no reason to suppose they know who was actually guilty.

Now the victims of, for example, murders, could probably tell us something fairly useful in a great number of cases.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 08:00 AM   #116
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,082
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I think all that comes under the category that the spirit world is not allowed to directly interfere with human evolution. They are allowed to try to inspire people and give some comfort through spiritual teachings. But not to meddle directly in human affairs.
Unless somebody needs a computer, of course.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 12:41 PM   #117
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
James Randi on psychics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFAvH8m8aI
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 12:49 PM   #118
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,500
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Define "gods".
Define "define".
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 06:20 PM   #119
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,351
Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
If I had psychic powers that were 'genuine', I be out placing bets on as many horse races that I could and I'd buying tickets on every lottery. But perhaps that's just me.

Haven't you ever wondered why 'genuine' psychics don't do this???



Maybe it doesnt work that way?

I know someone who says in her case it doesnt work that way. She says she does not seek or try to receive information. Instead it simply comes to mind, always unexpected. Not guessing or trying.

For example, she and I were talking on the phone, across the country...I said I gotta go, my friend says dinner is being served. She said "Having Eggplant?" On a different occasion I mentioned that I was helping a friend with house painting. She said "Blue?"

Yes Eggplant was served, and yes it was blue paint. She only knew where I was. She did not know my friends. She says in her case it happens only in present tense. When she called, I was painting...Dinner was being served.

She says that what comes to her mind is always correct, for as long as she can remember, 50+ years. She never tries or guesses....It just comes on its own, she says. She says it is never future or past tense. She says it happens once or twice a month.

She also says she would not pursue it as in gambling, or in any other way. Not interested, she says. She also says she will often keep it to herself because it can be upsetting, or something someone would not want to know.

I'd not presume it would happen the same way in all cases.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 07:02 PM   #120
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
She says that what comes to her mind is always correct, for as long as she can remember, 50+ years. She never tries or guesses....It just comes on its own, she says.
Again, this book explains what is actually going on. And it's not what you think...

https://www.amazon.ca/People-Believe...e+weird+things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41JJje35GYL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (29.9 KB, 2 views)
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.