ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th October 2017, 10:16 AM   #321
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Unless I misunderstood the original telling, this is where the story jumps the shark for me. I was under the impression that this was a baby that was lost. No specifics of by what means or what age but still baby. So if a spirit is in no need of a body then why would they continue to grow and age as if they had one? If you are going to say he had reincarnated and grown that way,( and this time to only the age of 22 I say not a lucky reincarnator...) that would mean it was with a different family so does this spirit then spend time medium hopping to give a shout out to all the past mums? And why would he then look just like you?
As far as I understand it baby's that die grow to maturity in the spirit world.
Old people that die grow young again. The process is gradual so as not to be a shock to the system.

My brother was not reincarnated when he gave me the message, he was in the spirit world. Spirits have bodies that resemble their last incarnation.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 11:11 AM   #322
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Old people that die grow young again. The process is gradual so as not to be a shock to the system.

My brother was not reincarnated when he gave me the message, he was in the spirit world. Spirits have bodies that resemble their last incarnation.
Can't do it. You're also wrong about everything.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 12:25 PM   #323
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I do no think you understand this very far at all.
Quote:
Shock to what system?

Quote:
If spirits have bodies then they are corporeal.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 12:34 PM   #324
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

That's convenient.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 12:50 PM   #325
wasapi
Illuminator

Sorry to keep taking this thread off topic. I tried to get people to ask me questions on my thread scorpions spiritualism, but it keeps going on here instead.
It has seemed that this thread has taken on a life all its own, not really even related to my OP.

My point was, I believe, to illustrate how active, imaginative and creative a 3 year old can be, and how some parents may read into it and make it appear paranormal. I did not steer her into a discussion that was pro or con, I just listened to her and allowed her to talk. She is fun and feisty and I like listening to whatever she has to say. She has a great, creative streak in her that is a joy to watch.

I do not believe she is seeing the dead!
Old 27th October 2017, 01:10 PM   #326
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Old people that die grow young again.
I think you have your reincarnation theory backwards.
Old 27th October 2017, 01:11 PM   #327
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
It has seemed that this thread has taken on a life all its own, not really even related to my OP.

Yea, and that's where I came in, suggesting that she could really be seeing a spirit. After that the discussion veered into spiritualism, which is something I seem to make happen. I did make a few attempts to get people to ask me stuff on my thread, but even admin has asked me off topic questions on this thread.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 01:39 PM   #328
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Why don't you apply the same standards to your own beliefs that you're applying to Emre's?
Didn't I reject White Eagle lodge, after years of going there. Because it said in one of his old books pre dating the NASA probes, that there were people on Venus and Mars.

I reject anything I can prove wrong.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 27th October 2017, 01:48 PM   #329
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

If spirits have bodies then they are corporeal.
The spirit body is of a higher substance than the corporeal, but it seems real to the spirits. Although they can do many things they cannot do in the physical world, like fly and teleport themselves.

It is said they cannot feel pleasure or pain or feel emotion, and that is the reason many people choose to reincarnate.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 27th October 2017, 01:48 PM   #330
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Interesting.

How about people who were overweight their whole lives? Will they be carrying around the extra pounds in the afterfife?

Do you get your natural hair color or the one you chose from a bottle?

How about those with disfiguring birth defects? What if the defect was corrected surgically when the person was a child? Are those fixed at death or were they there because of karma and are carried into the afterlife?

What about gender reassignment?
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 01:50 PM   #331
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
How about those with disfiguring birth defects? What if the defect was corrected surgically when the person was a child? Are those fixed at death or were they there because of karma and are carried into the afterlife?

Well, from all the reports of ghosts of various executed lords and ladies carrying their heads under their arms I would say not.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 01:54 PM   #332
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

What is your source? Because it isn't the Bible.

I reject anything I can prove wrong.

So you accept that I have an invisible dragon in my garage?

Prove I don't!

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 01:58 PM   #333
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

I have been warned by the automod not to derail the thread, so please ask me these questions again on the thread ' scorpions spiritualism'
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 27th October 2017, 02:29 PM   #334
Thor 2
Master Poster

My point was, I believe, to illustrate how active, imaginative and creative a 3 year old can be, and how some parents may read into it and make it appear paranormal. I did not steer her into a discussion that was pro or con, I just listened to her and allowed her to talk. She is fun and feisty and I like listening to whatever she has to say. She has a great, creative streak in her that is a joy to watch.

It has reincarnated.

Very quickly it seems. Not much time in the spirit world.
Old 27th October 2017, 02:58 PM   #335
sadhatter
Philosopher

At the dinner table about 15 years ago my uncle and mother were present, and the subject of the message came up in discussion. My uncle said to her "you had a baby that died in the war, I didn't know that" and my mother said "well I didn't go around telling everyone".

She did not even tell her own brother let alone strangers.
Must not have been very close. Your sorry would mean at least nine months of no contact, plus the age of the child at death.

Also I'm guessing you are not from north America? Otherwise I'm not seeing a long list of ways a baby could die in a war.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 04:25 PM   #336
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Interesting.

How about people who were overweight their whole lives? Will they be carrying around the extra pounds in the afterfife?

God shuffled his feet and glanced around at them
The people cleared their throats and stared right back at him
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 04:31 PM   #337
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

The spirit body is of a higher substance than the corporeal,
Fancy rephrasing this in such a way as it has an actual meaning? 'Higher' means a greater vertical distance from a defined base plane, lifting things up doesn't make them incorporeal. Evidence would also be nice.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 03:28 AM   #338
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

I think it's demonstrated quite well that some people have an active imagination long past three, and certainly confirmed that there are people who will jump to a paranormal explanation.
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:53 AM   #339
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Oh but that explanation is "fanciful". What adjective does that leave to adequately describe the explanation that the spirit of an dead infant communicated with the younger brother he never knew decades later to pass a message to their mother, I wonder.

And why are the messages always so banal? "I'm very happy here". "Give my love to X". "Remember me to Y". Never anything useful, or even interesting.

Yes why are they never things like, I left the money in.....
Old 2nd November 2017, 03:30 AM   #340
mikado
Graduate Poster

Interesting.

I am going to be totally furious if I still have this awful body when I am dead
Old 2nd November 2017, 05:18 AM   #341
jadebox
Graduate Poster

I wonder if the girl may have seen "Hermann's ghost.". You know the optical illusion where grey blobs appear at the intersections of lines in a grid? In my previous home there was a hallway where, when the lighting was right, a similar effect would occur producing what could be imagined to look like a grey ghost standing in the hallway with arms and legs extended like Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man. It's the kind of thing an adult would be likely to overlook, but might catch the attention of a child. I think I only noticed it because it was visible when I went to bed and became more pronounced when I took off my glasses.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:03 AM   #342
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
Yes why are they never things like, I left the money in.....
I intend to make that you last words.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal