ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th October 2017, 06:20 AM   #1
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

The reluctant snake-oil salesman

My father, in his retirement, has learned to be a coppersmith and has been traveling to various art festivals selling his wares. Especially popular are the copper bracelets he makes. Here is a portion of a recent Facebook post (mild editing and formatting, mine):
Quote:
Customer: "Will the copper help with my arthritis?"
Me: "There is no science to support that!"
Customer: "Can you put magnets on the copper cuffs?"
Me: "Sure."
Customer: "My aunt/grandmother/cousin wore copper cuffs all the time and she said it helped her."
Me: "Well, we live in Missouri, the State of Walt Disney. Wishing can make it so. Cash or Credit?"

I lost count of how many times I had that conversation over the last two weeks. They usually bought a cuff!

I guess we were poor, my grandmother just kept pennies in her shoes.
And a comment from one of my friends:
Quote:
I love that you're raking in snake oil dollars with a firm, "There is no science to support that!"
I kinda want to be my dad when I grow up: ethical enough to completely honest, but not ethical enough to stop people from giving me their money for stupid reasons.

Last edited by Upchurch; 24th October 2017 at 06:21 AM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 06:39 AM   #2
ahhell
Muse

I both love and hate that. It is kind of awesome that you can make money selling snake oil honestly but also kind of said that people won't listen. TA Randi tells a story about Carson's debunking the faith healer Popoff, he got letters to the effect of, thanks for showing what a fraud he is, I'll send my money to a legit faith healer now!.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 07:27 AM   #3
crhkrebs
Muse

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
..... It is kind of awesome that you can make money selling snake oil honestly......
I don't see it that way. He is making and selling jewelry. The fact that some customers imbue the jewelry with "special powers", despite his claims to the contrary, is not his problem.
crhkrebs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

It is kind of amazing that the guy who literally made the thing can say, "This has absolutely no special properties and will not help you in anyway other than fashion" and people will still believe it's magic.
Old 24th October 2017, 09:12 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I dunno. It's not like their belief depends on yours. If they believe copper and a magnet have special properties, they don't need you to believe it, too. They just need you to put it together for them. It's probably even a little bit satisfying, to know that it works even though the guy making it doesn't believe it works.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Many years ago, I toyed with the idea of selling handmade metal dowsing rods online, with the statement that they were 200% more effective than conventional dowsing rods. Anything multiplied by zero is still zero, after all. That would have crossed the line into deception though.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Porkpie Hat
Critical Thinker

Back when I was a young, gullible welder I bought a magnetic bracket.

The only discernible effect it had was that I ended up taking my work home with me.
Porkpie Hat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 12:54 AM   #8
Apathia
Illuminator

Today I met the head pharmacist of a pharmacy I'll begin working at next month. He was wearing a copper bracelet.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 03:05 AM   #9
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Today I met the head pharmacist of a pharmacy I'll begin working at next month. He was wearing a copper bracelet.
If he needs more, I know a guy.
Old 25th October 2017, 05:47 AM   #10
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Back when these were a new fad item, folks were buying them from various sources. My dad started squishing copper tubing he “found” at work with a vise and rounding off the ends.
He gave them away, and folks would proudly display the green discoloration on their wrists as proof they were “working”.....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 06:44 AM   #11
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Back when these were a new fad item, folks were buying them from various sources. My dad started squishing copper tubing he “found” at work with a vise and rounding off the ends.
He gave them away, and folks would proudly display the green discoloration on their wrists as proof they were “working”.....
Green means 'Go'!

When your medical tests sound likes lines from Dora the Explorer, it's a time to re-examine your life choices.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 07:05 AM   #12
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Tell them for your dad only uses copper that is ductile, they should be wary of non-ductile copper.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 07:18 AM   #13
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Many years ago, I toyed with the idea of selling handmade metal dowsing rods online, with the statement that they were 200% more effective than conventional dowsing rods. Anything multiplied by zero is still zero, after all. That would have crossed the line into deception though.

And three times less GMO!

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 07:28 AM   #14
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
And three times less GMO!
And gluten free!
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 07:59 AM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

While standing in the Pharmacy line at the store the other day, I noticed they had an entire shelf unit, perhaps five feet high and eight feet long, fully stocked with quack products. Homeopathic products for babies, colon cleansers, you name it. Quite disgusting. And of course all the drugstores here in the USA sell cigarettes.
Old 25th October 2017, 08:09 AM   #16
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
While standing in the Pharmacy line at the store the other day, I noticed they had an entire shelf unit, perhaps five feet high and eight feet long, fully stocked with quack products. Homeopathic products for babies, colon cleansers, you name it. Quite disgusting. And of course all the drugstores here in the USA sell cigarettes.
CVS stores do not sell cigarettes, but they have plenty quack stuff.
Old 26th October 2017, 10:05 AM   #17
Apathia
Illuminator

And every snake oil supplement that can generate a profit.

Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 10:07 AM   #18
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Does he sell magnetic copper?

Author Unknown
Old 26th October 2017, 10:48 AM   #19
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

It's as, if not more, magnetic than any other copper they can find .
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 11:03 AM   #20
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Copper works for Brett Favre, what more proof do you need?
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 11:28 AM   #21
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Guaranteed to conduct at least two types of energy.
Old 26th October 2017, 11:59 AM   #22
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

It is kind of amazing that the guy who literally made the thing can say, "This has absolutely no special properties and will not help you in anyway other than fashion" and people will still believe it's magic.
It's homeopathic.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 12:04 PM   #23
Spindrift

Needs more buzzwords.

Based on the latest inverse quantum homeopathic paradigms! You copper bracelet is guaranteed not to rust.
Old 26th October 2017, 01:57 PM   #24
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Copper works for Brett Favre, what more proof do you need?
I need proof Brett Favre knows what copper is.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 09:06 PM   #25
mgidm86
Illuminator

Seriously! Being honest isn't getting me anywhere. If there's no hell then I should just rip people off. Thanks to my years at this site I know I could do it too. Easily.

But I still can't. I've said many times recently, "I sometimes wish I was dishonest enough to be a psychic, start some astrology sites and rip off all the idiots who don't want to listen"

Maybe we should start one here and donate any proceeds to charity. On every site it can state "You are about to be ripped off".

It would probably depress me though. Woo seems to have gained a foothold recently. For instance everyone seems to be talking about chemtrails now. Seems hopeless.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 09:37 PM   #26
simonxlong
Thinker

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Seriously! Being honest isn't getting me anywhere. If there's no hell then I should just rip people off. Thanks to my years at this site I know I could do it too. Easily.

But I still can't. I've said many times recently, "I sometimes wish I was dishonest enough to be a psychic, start some astrology sites and rip off all the idiots who don't want to listen"

Maybe we should start one here and donate any proceeds to charity. On every site it can state "You are about to be ripped off".

It would probably depress me though. Woo seems to have gained a foothold recently. For instance everyone seems to be talking about chemtrails now. Seems hopeless.
Since my wife passed in August from cancer, things are a little bit tighter on money now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not desperate or broke by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not well off either. I've thought about numerous ways to earn extra money that are realistic, and I realize that of all the ways to make money, peddling woo is one I could easily accomplish and do well at. I'm smart and a good salesman, but, like you, I just can't con people. It's wrong to me on some core, intrinsic level of my being.
simonxlong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 06:58 AM   #27
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

The references to pharmacies above remind me of something that I've occasionally had on my mind since I worked at a drug store and discovered all the quack products several years ago.

I know that I've seen customers ask pharmacists and pharmacy technicians for information about their prescriptions and advice in choosing over-the-counter medicines. I presume they must also sometimes ask for advice in choosing the right quack product as well. This would put the pharmacy staff in the position of telling them that the quackery doesn't work, presuming they're honest, but surely they must be under orders from the drug store owners/management not to stop a customer who's about to spend money, disobeying company orders sooner or later leads to threats of firing and then actual firing. So how do they handle it? Play along and let the customers waste their money? Tell the truth and end up repeatedly bumping heads with their bosses? Tell the truth but try to prevent the bosses from hearing about it? Or is my presumption that they even get asked much wrong because fans of that kind of quackery know what the experts say and don't want to hear it?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 05:26 AM   #28
kali1137
Critical Thinker

I still don't understand why people get up in arms about them selling cigarettes but no problem whatsoever that they continue to sell alcohol.

So I am not up on my quackery these days, what is copper supposed to cure? I vaguely recall it being a trend at one time but never looked into it. There needs to be a reality show where you have the honest guy with all these products - straight up telling them they don't work, but watching people buy them anyway. Maybe if people saw themselves on tv doing it, it might sink in??
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 06:18 AM   #29
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
So I am not up on my quackery these days, what is copper supposed to cure?
The quacks seem to advertise copper, and magnets specifically, for joint-related pain.
Old 1st November 2017, 06:40 AM   #30
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

The quacks seem to advertise copper, and magnets specifically, for joint-related pain.

Copper for arthritis has been around for decades. I remember a sequence of strips in "Peanuts" from the mid-70s or earlier in which Snoopy was wearing a copper bracelet for arthritis and got annoyed when Charlie Brown insisted on taking him to the vet anyway.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 09:22 AM   #31
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The references to pharmacies above remind me of something that I've occasionally had on my mind since I worked at a drug store and discovered all the quack products several years ago.

I know that I've seen customers ask pharmacists and pharmacy technicians for information about their prescriptions and advice in choosing over-the-counter medicines. I presume they must also sometimes ask for advice in choosing the right quack product as well. This would put the pharmacy staff in the position of telling them that the quackery doesn't work, presuming they're honest, but surely they must be under orders from the drug store owners/management not to stop a customer who's about to spend money, disobeying company orders sooner or later leads to threats of firing and then actual firing. So how do they handle it? Play along and let the customers waste their money? Tell the truth and end up repeatedly bumping heads with their bosses? Tell the truth but try to prevent the bosses from hearing about it? Or is my presumption that they even get asked much wrong because fans of that kind of quackery know what the experts say and don't want to hear it?
As a pharmacy tech, I have no say over what's stacked on the shelves, but I can make polite, positive recommendations for a product that has more reliability. Fortunately the store pharmacy I work for doesn't have homeopathic crap. It does have the usually bunch of vitamins and supplements of dubious value. I don't say, "Taking this isn't going to do jack-waste for you." But I am responsible for directing a customer to the pharmacist if I notice the supplement Ze's asking for has contraindications with a prescription ze's taking.

I've noticed that a lot of people swear by their favorite homeopathic or naturopathic. But it's not good customer service practice for me to swear at said product.

Author Unknown

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal