ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th November 2017, 09:21 AM   #1
TX50
Graduate Poster

Boy from Mars has "confounded scientists"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...orn-Earth.html

Daily Wail has scraped though the bottom of the barrel now and is delving into the upper mantle.

[comment on the first video on that page] Sorry but my 6 year old niece knows more confounding stuff about space than that [oh wait, is she a Martian too? ]
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 09:51 AM   #2
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post

Daily Wail has scraped though the bottom of the barrel now and is delving into the upper mantle.

[comment on the first video on that page] Sorry but my 6 year old niece knows more confounding stuff about space than that [oh wait, is she a Martian too? ]
Sounds legit.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Apathia
Illuminator

I had a past life on Omicron Persei 8. I died before seeing the last episode of Single Female Lawyer.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I could read and write by the time I was 2. Perhaps I'm a Martian, too.
Old 7th November 2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I could read at age 2, not sure when I learned to write, but I could sure as hell make up science fiction long before I was 20.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 10:32 AM   #6
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

So, is the daily mail going to fund an expedition to the sphinx armed with giant cotton buds?
Old 7th November 2017, 10:55 AM   #7
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I had a past life on Omicron Persei 8. I died before seeing the last episode of Single Female Lawyer.
It was okay, but not great. Overall, I'd rate it a C+.
Old 7th November 2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Unusual to see this sort of woo emanating from Russia.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 11:52 AM   #9
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

At age 3, I turned over my food on the table at Hartwell Farms restaurant in Lincoln, Mass. It was politely requested that I leave and never return.

Later the place burned down.

( Sung to the tune of the old Time jingle: "Time flies, and you are there!" )
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
He says that Martians measuring about seven-feet tall still live undergound on the Red Planet and breathe in carbon dioxide.
Well, there's a falsifiable claim.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 01:07 PM   #11
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Too bad they didn't teach art on Mars; that young man's renderings are more painful to view than mine.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 01:10 PM   #12
Spindrift

By the time I was 2, I had conquered Mars. Then I went home, it was nap time.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
At age 3, I turned over my food on the table at Hartwell Farms restaurant in Lincoln, Mass. It was politely requested that I leave and never return.

Damien?

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 01:13 PM   #14
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Damien?
Firestarter
Old 7th November 2017, 01:25 PM   #15
JM85
Critical Thinker

Obviously it's ridiculous that the "boy" (article says he's 20) is from Mars, but child prodigies being able to read, write, and draw at the age of two almost defies reason. I say almost, because it's certainly possible, but it must take an extreme level of perceptiveness to absorb that level of information at such a young age.
JM85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 01:28 PM   #16
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by JM85 View Post
Obviously it's ridiculous that the "boy" (article says he's 20) is from Mars, but child prodigies being able to read, write, and draw at the age of two almost defies reason. I say almost, because it's certainly possible, but it must take an extreme level of perceptiveness to absorb that level of information at such a young age.
You're assuming the claim is true.

Tom McGuane
Old 7th November 2017, 01:30 PM   #17
Spindrift

Originally Posted by JM85 View Post
Hyperlexia
Old 7th November 2017, 01:32 PM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Any chance of knowing what advance knowledge "confounded scientists"?
Old 7th November 2017, 01:38 PM   #19
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
......that this boy is making stuff up and they are confounded by why the media is paying attention to him?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 01:39 PM   #20
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

As a sign of my great intelligence, I refuse to learn to walk and let myself get carried everywhere until I was five.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 01:43 PM   #21
Spindrift

Seven foot martians.
Old 7th November 2017, 01:46 PM   #22
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Seven foot martians.
The confounding part is they only had 6 legs.
Old 7th November 2017, 01:59 PM   #23
Thor 2
Master Poster

Wow! What a scoop for the Daily Mail.

I read from the article:

"He says that Martians measuring about seven-feet tall still live undergound on the Red Planet and breathe in carbon dioxide."

These guys must photosynthesis like plants then. If we could learn to do that the CO2 level in the atmosphere would be a good thing.
Old 7th November 2017, 03:13 PM   #24
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I would imagine most scientists are a little confounded that even the Daily Fail could think this crap was worth publishing.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 03:28 PM   #25
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
As a sign of my great intelligence, I refuse to learn to walk and let myself get carried everywhere until I was five.

And if you had kept a diary detailing that, I'd agree.

Probably get paddled raw when mom and found out, but still... worth it.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 03:42 PM   #26
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Hah, amateur until I was six I had the magical power to close my eyes thereby making myself invisible to all others!
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 04:26 PM   #27
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

He said his first 'word' at 4 months.

baba

Such advanced eloquence. Martian can be the only logical explanation.
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 04:47 PM   #28
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Looking to scoop up Daily Express readers or possibly even those perusers of the Star.
Old 8th November 2017, 04:35 AM   #29
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Looking to scoop up Daily Express readers or possibly even those perusers of the Star.
It's more like the stories the Sunday Sport used to run.
Old 8th November 2017, 10:39 AM   #30
Monza
Alta Viro

Quote:
According to Boriska, they [Martians] are immortal and stop aging at an age of 35 years.
Is that in Martian years or Earth years? A Martian year is 687 Earth-days long.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 11:29 AM   #31
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post

That's only fair.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 12:01 PM   #32
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I know Michael Valentine Smith, and he's no Michael Valentine Smith.

BTW, that page wanted to load more junk than than any page I've visited.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 01:46 PM   #33
smartcooky
Philosopher

Sure it wasn't Ceti Alpha 5? Oh, sorry, that was Khan.... my bad!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 01:47 PM   #34
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I know Michael Valentine Smith, and he's no Michael Valentine Smith.

BTW, that page wanted to load more junk than than any page I've visited.

I grok that!

ETA: Hah! Now that is funny. "grok" didn't get underlined by Firefox's spell checker!

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th November 2017 at 01:48 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 02:08 PM   #35
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Most of the reports from the last day or so are identical. There's a little more information at this forum, who seem to have been following his "progress":

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...Boriska-update

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 8th November 2017 at 02:10 PM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 05:30 PM   #36
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

S he is a reincarnated Martian and they are supposed to be immortal?

I can see why 'Scientists' were confounded.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 02:34 AM   #37
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
S he is a reincarnated Martian and they are supposed to be immortal?

I can see why 'Scientists' were confounded.
Not to even mention that if they are immortal, and keep having kids, and then they stop ageing at around 35... then, well.. do I have to explain how this is not going to work?
Old 9th November 2017, 05:31 AM   #38
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Sure it wasn't Ceti Alpha 5? Oh, sorry, that was Khan.... my bad!
Get that Ceti Eel out of your ear.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 05:37 AM   #39
Dave Rogers

Get that Ceti Eel out of your ear.
And put this fish there instead.

Dave

Old 9th November 2017, 06:06 AM   #40
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Damien?
You called?

Here's a real prize among the comments:
Quote:
So he's the one. Every so often in history, people way ahead of their time with unexplained knowledge, appear. People like Da Vinci or Einstein. They claim to have origins from outer space or receive messages from another lifeform. History is littered. The lilliad of Homer (that was removed from the bible by Christians) actually explains that God isn't a spiritual being, but was an extra terrestrial.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal