ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th August 2019, 04:44 PM   #41
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It doesn’t sit well with me.
It grinds the hell out my gears too.

If he wasn't great at whatever sport he plays, he would definitely be in jail.

That's monumentally wrong.
Old 13th August 2019, 04:47 PM   #42
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Youth Courts in NZ can’t jail offenders? If true, an absolute joke.

I know this is not the case in Australia. Just last week I became aware of an under 18 employee of a client (can’t give details of how I know and the offence) who received a 7 year sentence with a minimum of 4 in a youth detention centre (aka jail).
The problem is that Youth Courts can only send you to a Youth detention centre, Jail for Kids, but under the law you need to be let out at 18 unless you were charged as an Adult. In this case he was charged as a kid, so at 18 he would be let out, but he was already 18 because of the time it took to get to court. So he couldn't be sentenced to jail because he was being tried as a kid, but also couldn't sent to a detention centre because he was 18.

I was going to say this in my initial post, but then went back and reread the article and saw that it wasn't mentioned and so I deleted it thinking that the Judge's reasoning was loopy when there was a more valid explanation. Now they have corrected it it all makes far more sense even if it's a quirk in the law.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:28 PM   #43
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
...even if it's a quirk in the law.
I don't see it as a quirk of the law, I see it as a total failure by the judge to allow it to be held in Youth Court. The law should have worked fine in this case, but the judge didn't let it.
Old 13th August 2019, 09:36 PM   #44
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I don't see it as a quirk of the law, I see it as a total failure by the judge to allow it to be held in Youth Court. The law should have worked fine in this case, but the judge didn't let it.
It's not up to the Judge, it's up to the police, and they didn't charge him as an adult. Though as I noted above I do have issues with doing so because it leads to it's own absurd quirks such as kids being charged as an adult for things that wouldn't be a crime if they were an adult.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:28 PM   #45
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

It's not up to the Judge, it's up to the police, and they didn't charge him as an adult.
Except the cops wanted to charge him as an adult, but were obviously persuaded not to:

Quote:
The police had initially argued to transfer the case to the adult court...
Old 14th August 2019, 12:30 AM   #46
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Except the cops wanted to charge him as an adult, but were obviously persuaded not to:
Not really "obviously"

Quote:
but abandoned the application two months before the teenager was sentenced.
It doesn't say they were persuaded not too, but rather that they abandoned the application

Old 14th August 2019, 07:22 AM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sidebar: In the US, arrests are made by the police, but charges are brought by the prosecutor, who may opt to release the suspect without bringing charges at all. The police don't make the decision of whether to charge or what to charge.

Is it different in Australia? Or is this simply colloquial, conflating cops and counselors for convenience in casual conversation?

Last edited by theprestige; 14th August 2019 at 08:50 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 07:45 AM   #48
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Sidebar: In the US, arrests are made by the police, but charges are brought by the prosecutor, who may opt to release the suspect without bringing charges at all. The police don't make the decision of whether to charge or what to charge.

Is it different in Australia? Or is this simply colloquial, conflating cops and counselors for convenience in casual conversation?

Old 15th August 2019, 09:12 AM   #49
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

: rolleyes :
No answer to my question, then?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:27 PM   #50
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Get the question right and I might answer.

Old 16th August 2019, 12:38 PM   #51
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Is it different in Australia?
Good question.

In what way is it relevant to the thread?
Old 16th August 2019, 01:34 PM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Get the question right and I might answer.
I feel like I got it close enough for you to answer if you wanted to.
Old 17th August 2019, 12:54 AM   #53
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

You think New Zealand and Australia are "close enough" for you to not correct your mistake?

In case it helps, in South Australia, we have the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, and Police Prosecutors.

DPP staff (or the DPP themself) prosecute the more serious crimes, and the Police handle the smaller stuff.

https://www.dpp.sa.gov.au/
Old 17th August 2019, 03:23 AM   #54
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
You think New Zealand and Australia are "close enough" for you to not correct your mistake?

In case it helps, in South Australia, we have the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, and Police Prosecutors.

DPP staff (or the DPP themself) prosecute the more serious crimes, and the Police handle the smaller stuff.

https://www.dpp.sa.gov.au/
Same in Victoria. A western province of New Zealand for the ignorant.....

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 03:25 AM   #55
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
This is a judgement that sometimes, rather infuriatingly, crops up in rape cases, though; the judge gives a more lenient sentence because normal sentencing guidelines would result in a seriously negative impact on the perpetrator's career. It gives a clear message that the judge doesn't really think rape is a proper crime, so the rapist doesn't really warrant a proper sentence. Meanwhile the seriously negative impact on the victim's perfectly reasonable goal of being a secure, happy person seems to be less important. It's not just New Zealand that still seems to have this problem sometimes.

Dave
Yes
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 07:13 PM   #56
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I feel like I got it close enough for you to answer if you wanted to.
Yeah, that's what I'd expect from a Mexican.

Old 21st August 2019, 01:34 AM   #57
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Yes, things are different in different countries. Wild, I know.
Old 21st August 2019, 01:35 AM   #58
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Yeah, that's what I'd expect from a Mexican.
Or a Canadian.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events