ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Logan Paul , We The Unicorns , YouTube incidents

Old 4th January 2018, 06:20 AM   #41
Myriad
Hyperthetical

According to the currency exchange tickers, kudos tokens are now trading at 0.00000000000 Bitcoins. Each.

You should sell now. You're not going to see a higher price.
Old 4th January 2018, 09:04 AM   #42
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
A Youtube prankster makes a video. Could it be a prank? He says it's not. Stay tuned.

No thank you. There's an excellent chance that it's legit. There are years when suicides in Aokigahara average one every 3 days. Someone must discover the bodies. Why not this doofus?

But why should anyone care? We have an attention whore who may or may not have made a prank video (but who makes prank videos all the time and takes full credit for their prankiness, right in the titles). ...snip....
Edited by jsfisher:  Moderated content redacted.

I was incorrect with my assumption of the flyboard air, however i did do everything in my power to test my assumption - resulting in eventually seeing it fly for myself.

I learned quite a lot from that entire 18 months experience.

And i approach such things with more sobriety and balance now.

And it is still my informed opinion that i am almost certainly right this time.

You will see.

Lots of people are catching on now to the fakery and nonsense in his video.

Its just a matter of time.

I won't be the one to officially expose this hoax, someone else will, so it will be them that will get the 15 minute of fame.

if i had to put a bet on it, i would say its only a few days away from being busted or logan exposing it himself.

Last edited by jsfisher; 6th January 2018 at 09:55 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 09:08 AM   #43
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

This is so low-stakes that I just couldn't imagine caring even if it is a hoax.

Option 1: It's real, and this guy is a total douche.
Option 2: It's fake, and this guy is a total douche.

So I mean... meh.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 10:38 AM   #44
CompusMentus
Waiting for the Worms

Originally Posted by esspee View Post

....if i had to put a bet on it, i would say its only a few days away from being busted or logan exposing it himself.

Publishing the video was a callous and highly insensitive act.

The only act that would be worse IMO would be to make a hoax video of the same (and then admit to it)

Seems to me this guy (Logan) ********** up big time, he's not about to dig an even deeper hole for himself.

Compus
Old 4th January 2018, 10:47 AM   #45
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by CompusMentus View Post
Publishing the video was a callous and highly insensitive act.

The only act that would be worse IMO would be to make a hoax video of the same (and then admit to it)

Seems to me this guy (Logan) ********** up big time, he's not about to dig an even deeper hole for himself.

Compus
it is possible that he will not have an interest in revealing the hoax, for the reasons you said. But i still think he will come clean.

But even if he doesn't someone on youtube will reveal it anyway. Too many clues left in the video. ( IMO deliberately)
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 11:51 AM   #46
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post

So I mean... meh.
Option 3: It never existed in the first place, and this guy is a total douche.

So, yeah... meh.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 12:45 PM   #47
Axxman300
Master Poster

So I mean... meh.
It's real, and he's a douche.

He yanked it down immediately when he saw the flood of negative comments. The guy makes millions of dollars being a YouTube star, so this will cost him money.
Old 4th January 2018, 01:15 PM   #48
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
It's real, and he's a douche.

He yanked it down immediately when he saw the flood of negative comments. The guy makes millions of dollars being a YouTube star, so this will cost him money.
this has massively increased awareness of his brand and his subscriber count is doing very well as a result. As far as publicity stunts go, this one is unprecedented in its success.

This will likely not harm him in the pocket at all, it will only make him richer IMO
Old 4th January 2018, 01:32 PM   #49
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

As far as publicity stunts go, this one is unprecedented in its success.
Your own publicity stunting eclipses him to a great degree.

"There has never ever been a bigger publicity stunt in the history of publicity as that which Logan Paul has just done." Sir Esspee Esquire
Old 4th January 2018, 01:37 PM   #50
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Your own publicity stunting eclipses him to a great degree.

"There has never ever been a bigger publicity stunt in the history of publicity as that which Logan Paul has just done." Sir Esspee Esquire
on youtube, there has not been one even close to the success this one has achieved.

He has people making thousands of videos about this (him), every major content creator has made a video about it too, tv and movie celebrities are tweeting about him, sensible newspapers are covering the story, his subscriber count is climbing fast (81,000 increase just yesterday).

....unprecedented was the correct word to use

Last edited by esspee; 4th January 2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 01:43 PM   #51
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

When will you concede that the video is authentic? Describe the goalposts for that and don't weasel.
Old 4th January 2018, 03:48 PM   #52
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

This will likely not harm him in the pocket at all, it will only make him richer IMO
Makes me glad I didn't click on the link and I still don't care to know who he is.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 11:57 PM   #53
EHocking
Philosopher

...And it is still my informed opinion that i am almost certainly right this time...

informed

"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 11:59 PM   #54
EHocking
Philosopher

When will you concede that the video is authentic? Describe the goalposts for that and don't weasel.
Let me lend you a set for later in the thread.

"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 11:59 PM   #55
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I was incorrect with my assumption of the flyboard air, however i did do everything in my power to test my assumption - resulting in eventually seeing it fly for myself.

And it is still my informed opinion that i am almost certainly right this time.

You will see.

Lots of people are catching on now to the fakery and nonsense in his video.

Its just a matter of time.

I won't be the one to officially expose this hoax, someone else will, so it will be them that will get the 15 minute of fame.

if i had to put a bet on it, i would say its only a few days away from being busted or logan exposing it himself.

Well, in order to collect your KudoCoinsTM you do have to put a bet on it. Your above post was at 11 PM my time on the 4th of January.

"a few" is somewhere less than a week (or you would've said "within a week" or "about a week", but you're measuring in days. 1 = "one" or "a", 2 = "a couple". "Few" should be between 3 and 5 because, well, I said so.

Ergo, even if we cede you both one and two, you have a maximum 105 hours left for this to unfold as you say. And, btw, one idiotic debunking video doesn't qualify. It has to be a known authority, say Wired or similar hitech publication or a mainstream media outlet not owned by someone named Mercer or Murdoch. That's for the "someone else will debunk it". Logan confessing is obviously easy to judge.

The thirteen KudoCoins translate into forty-seven SkeptiPesosTM. I'll PM you our wire transfer details. This sub-forum banks at Schadenfreude Interbank AG in Zurich.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 5th January 2018 at 12:00 AM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 01:38 AM   #56
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

So I mean... meh.
Pretty much this, although I have no particular reason to think that it wasn't a real suicide.

And I'm not watching the video in either case. No need for me to give him any more undeserved attention.
Old 5th January 2018, 02:41 AM   #57
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

... by once again calling something a hoax based on a vague hunch, and no evidence.
Yes, you've learned a lot.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 04:56 AM   #58
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
... by once again calling something a hoax based on a vague hunch, and no evidence.
Yes, you've learned a lot.
He hasn't learned from the complete and utter humiliation he suffered over the Flyboard Air videos, not to trust his flawed and totally unreliable "spidey" sense.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 12:51 PM   #59
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
He hasn't learned from the complete and utter humiliation he suffered over the Flyboard Air videos, not to trust his flawed and totally unreliable "spidey" sense.
Have you even watched the video in question?

I don't see how anyone can watch that and not suggest i have a good chance of being right.

This is not spidey sense stuff. This is evidence based.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:59 PM   #60
esspee
black goo

Well, in order to collect your KudoCoinsTM you do have to put a bet on it. Your above post was at 11 PM my time on the 4th of January.

"a few" is somewhere less than a week (or you would've said "within a week" or "about a week", but you're measuring in days. 1 = "one" or "a", 2 = "a couple". "Few" should be between 3 and 5 because, well, I said so.

Ergo, even if we cede you both one and two, you have a maximum 105 hours left for this to unfold as you say. And, btw, one idiotic debunking video doesn't qualify. It has to be a known authority, say Wired or similar hitech publication or a mainstream media outlet not owned by someone named Mercer or Murdoch. That's for the "someone else will debunk it". Logan confessing is obviously easy to judge.

The thirteen KudoCoins translate into forty-seven SkeptiPesosTM. I'll PM you our wire transfer details. This sub-forum banks at Schadenfreude Interbank AG in Zurich.
If it is not busted by midnight on Tuesday i will take the L and vow not to return to this thread, even if new info comes to light, until such a time that it is revealed as and accepted by most of the world to have been a hoax.
Old 5th January 2018, 01:28 PM   #61
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Have you even watched the video in question?

I don't see how anyone can watch that and not suggest i have a good chance of being right.
I'll bet I could go to the FBA thread and find a nearly identical quote.
Old 5th January 2018, 05:49 PM   #62
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

When you reply to an Espee conspiracy thread, You're no better than those knuckleheads who feed their mogwai after midnight or expose them to water.

Tsk Tsk and now I'm one of those people, damn.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 5th January 2018 at 05:56 PM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 06:10 PM   #63
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Logan is taking a self-imposed break from video-blogging. He's not happy with himself for posting a video of a suicide victim.
Old 5th January 2018, 08:17 PM   #64
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

YouTube has apologized to the family of the man who died in the forest as well as to their general site viewers.
Old 6th January 2018, 12:32 AM   #65
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

YouTube has apologized to the family of the man who died in the forest as well as to their general site viewers.
Youtube is in on it.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 03:06 AM   #66
esspee
black goo

And so it begins....

We have our first 'big' youtuber saying it was fake.

(158k subs is fairly big, this vid has 60k view already)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcLgxlFmMwc

This is the public debate finally beginning.

Last edited by esspee; 6th January 2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 6th January 2018, 03:32 AM   #67
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

And so it begins....

We have our first 'big' youtuber saying it was fake.

(158k subs is fairly big, this vid has 60k view already)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcLgxlFmMwc

This is the public debate finally beginning.
Yeah, followed mostly by his own fans yet he has 1000 views with 445 downvotes.

ETA: The comments are mind-numbing. Several of your cousins saying "Yeah, I knew this all along!" A whole lot more people calling this dood a jerk. And one guy explaining that the prankster is in serious trouble because the one thing he learned from Persona 5 is not to mess with the Japanese cops! Persona 5 is a manga and a video game, apparently.

esspee: And this is a community you wish to be a part of and respected by? In the name of the FSM, why?

bolded: My bad. 1000 upvotes and 445 down.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 6th January 2018 at 03:46 AM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 03:56 AM   #68
esspee
black goo

Yeah, followed mostly by his own fans yet he has 1000 views with 445 downvotes.

ETA: The comments are mind-numbing. Several of your cousins saying "Yeah, I knew this all along!" A whole lot more people calling this dood a jerk. And one guy explaining that the prankster is in serious trouble because the one thing he learned from Persona 5 is not to mess with the Japanese cops! Persona 5 is a manga and a video game, apparently.

esspee: And this is a community you wish to be a part of and respected by? In the name of the FSM, why?

bolded: My bad. 1000 upvotes and 445 down.
did you read the comment supposedly from Kurt Cobains daughter?

1000 upvotes suggest that around half of his audience agree with his suspicions.

This video represents sparks of doubt bursting into flames.

My tuesday midnight deadline is starting to look too easy.
Old 6th January 2018, 04:05 AM   #69
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

did you read the comment supposedly from Kurt Cobains daughter?

1000 upvotes suggest that around half of his audience agree with his suspicions.

This video represents sparks of doubt bursting into flames.

My tuesday midnight deadline is starting to look too easy.
Not until you come up with a credible debunking. As I said, "pudgy misfit on Youtube ain't gonna do it". That could be you for all we know.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 6th January 2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 6th January 2018, 04:16 AM   #70
esspee
black goo

Not until you come up with a credible debunking. As I said, "fat misfit on Youtube ain't gonna do it".
I know your requirements.

This is just the beginning. Now that it has been picked up by a semi large youtuber people will be looking into it. Someone HUGE will articulate a simple convincing argument, or someone small will find solid undeniable proof.

That video will then go viral, some publication of your respected MSM will confirm the conclusion, Logan Paul will be forced to release a statemnet and you will have to transfer beucoup kudos tokens to my wallet.

Old 7th January 2018, 09:42 AM   #71
Azrael 5
Philosopher

My first impressions were stunt or a joke/prank tasteless-these type of youtubers seem to create these dumb videos tasteless though it would be,but with the apology I guess not,the backlash were he to reveal all to be a joke on the media etc would be far worse.
Old 7th January 2018, 10:27 AM   #72
carlitos
"más divertido"

Someone should change their custom profile title to “semi-large youtuber”
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2018, 12:42 PM   #73
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
My first impressions were stunt or a joke/prank tasteless-these type of youtubers seem to create these dumb videos tasteless though it would be,but with the apology I guess not,the backlash were he to reveal all to be a joke on the media etc would be far worse.
This has been Youtube's biggest problem since the 3rd wave. Also 1 of the reasons why I hate Youtube's community (if you can even call it a community...).

Oh, and this happened too:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2018, 11:26 PM   #74
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

With about 48 hours to go (assuming Esspee is in the US), there's nothing anywhere in mainstream news, media news, internet news,.... anywhere.... evidencing anyone debunking this and bring Logan Paul crashing down.

It's a real video by a real idiot. I'll start planning the party when we get our SkeptiPesos in payment of the wager. You guys wanna have a kegger or a wine and cheese party? Weed''s illegal here, so don't ask.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 7th January 2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 7th January 2018, 11:56 PM   #75
fagin
Philosopher

He's in Europe I think.
Old 8th January 2018, 05:36 AM   #76
esspee
black goo

With about 48 hours to go (assuming Esspee is in the US), there's nothing anywhere in mainstream news, media news, internet news,.... anywhere.... evidencing anyone debunking this and bring Logan Paul crashing down.

It's a real video by a real idiot. I'll start planning the party when we get our SkeptiPesos in payment of the wager. You guys wanna have a kegger or a wine and cheese party? Weed''s illegal here, so don't ask.
unfortunatley i have things to do ATM , otherwise i would have spent the last few days and the next 48hrs becoming that person who busts it.

I will admit, the deadline is not looking so easy.

One person i talked to says they have downloaded the original and compared different frames and the body does move.

However, they are unable to upload the evidence to youtube because of terms of services.
You can not stick up images of a body that youtube believes is really dead.
You'll get your video taken down and recieve a strike. It has happened to a lot of youtubers already who reposted parts of the orginal video

Now could the movement of the body be a result of wind? maybe. Or it could be that they touched the body? maybe,. or could be that it is just a dude pretending to be dead and the whole thing is a stunt? probably .

the latter conclusion fits the source ( a prank youtube channel), the character behind it ( does outlandish pranks like faking his own death for views) the edit ( humourous before during and after the body find) the facial expressions of all involved, the high jinx and jokes during and after, and the fact that teh very next day they dressed up as pokemon and ran around tokyo having the time of their lives.

Also note how super short and fleeting the clips of the body actually are in the original. Why is that?

Those shots are odd too.

Last edited by esspee; 8th January 2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 8th January 2018, 08:46 AM   #77
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

YOU can't be the person who busts it according to the terms of the wager. It has to be a recognized tech site, MSM, or an outright admission by Logan Paul.

The semi-popular debunker you put up has had no such effect on the media stories, which continue to be "Wow! What a douche Logan Paul is." He got what he deserved. Hey, I hate him but we shouldn't try to curb his income; what if that was people threatening your living."

There's no grassroots movement to get to the real truth. We have the truth. "Douchebag makes douchey video, starts getting flack for it, says he's sorry then goes incommunicado for a few days hoping it'll all blow over and he can go back to being a douchebag!"

Oh, and I don't want to hear your theoretical evidence. You've proven to me through your other posts that you have no idea what you're analyzing and I'd take your theories right up there with my son's - he's nine.

Logan Paul is losing money, being threatened with lawsuits and called out by actual celebrities. The big reveal would've been days ago. There won't be any. His overall reaction is genuine. He's accustomed to not apologizing because, well, being a douche is cool to him and his brain dead fans. This is real criticism from real people who can have an effect on his fifteen minutes of fame and his ridiculous amount of income. When it becomes uncool in the 8th grade cafeteria to think Logan Paul is funny, he's dead meat. And that status is coming. He'd have quashed it last week if he could.

Old 8th January 2018, 09:11 AM   #78
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

YOU can't be the person who busts it according to the terms of the wager. It has to be a recognized tech site, MSM, or an outright admission by Logan Paul.

The semi-popular debunker you put up has had no such effect on the media stories, which continue to be "Wow! What a douche Logan Paul is." He got what he deserved. Hey, I hate him but we shouldn't try to curb his income; what if that was people threatening your living."

There's no grassroots movement to get to the real truth. We have the truth. "Douchebag makes douchey video, starts getting flack for it, says he's sorry then goes incommunicado for a few days hoping it'll all blow over and he can go back to being a douchebag!"

Oh, and I don't want to hear your theoretical evidence. You've proven to me through your other posts that you have no idea what you're analyzing and I'd take your theories right up there with my son's - he's nine.

Logan Paul is losing money, being threatened with lawsuits and called out by actual celebrities. The big reveal would've been days ago. There won't be any. His overall reaction is genuine. He's accustomed to not apologizing because, well, being a douche is cool to him and his brain dead fans. This is real criticism from real people who can have an effect on his fifteen minutes of fame and his ridiculous amount of income. When it becomes uncool in the 8th grade cafeteria to think Logan Paul is funny, he's dead meat. And that status is coming. He'd have quashed it last week if he could.

I do wonder when, since his "Logangers" are backing him up and telling Sophie Turner that's she's just jealous about him.

Her tweet:

https://twitter.com/SophieT/status/948042559229759488

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 09:32 AM   #79
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
I do wonder when, since his "Logangers" are backing him up and telling Sophie Turner that's she's just jealous about him.

Her tweet:

https://twitter.com/SophieT/status/948042559229759488
Well, that looks like Twitter-Bickering between Logan fans and not Logan fans. That doesn't seem like a mass swelling of support. A whole lot of people also thought Jackass was hysterically funny. There will always be such people. But he needs sponsors and he needs to not be sued for trademark infringement, something that never came up before this fiasco. The company is threatening him because of his newly acquired (confirmed) image as a thickwitted douchebag.

I'm sure he'll still have his supporters. Will his popularity continue to grow when the wannabe edgy kids find that the hottest girls in school think they and their hero are **********. And although I never underestimate what people will buy into (lookit the number of CDs Bieber sells and lookit the guy in the White House), I think he's worried about losing followers and losing sponsors and the fearful thought that Youtube could de-monetize his videos. And, as I said, with all of that, he would've come clean on the hoax days ago.

Old 8th January 2018, 09:37 AM   #80
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

"It's not based on a hunch, I've got actual evidence!"
"Great, tell us..."
"THIS OTHER GUY'S GOT A HUNCH TOO"

Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories