ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Logan Paul , We The Unicorns , YouTube incidents

Old 8th January 2018, 04:59 PM   #81
carlitos
"más divertido"

I had never heard of this guy until this thread. Last night, I was browsing on the random video functions on my cable menu and there is a bunch of crap listed and he's in there. Right along side cat videos and "top 10 evidence for alien visitation" nonsense.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 05:52 PM   #82
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I had never heard of this guy until this thread. Last night, I was browsing on the random video functions on my cable menu and there is a bunch of crap listed and he's in there. Right along side cat videos and "top 10 evidence for alien visitation" nonsense.
There are still people uploading cat vids on Youtube?

Well it still is, and was, (since that was what you could find the most between 2006-2008; people making video about their pets and putting it on youtube.) more interresting and fun to watch (like the Piano Cat), than the junk people (and by people, I mean 10-16 year olds) upload to youtube nowadays...

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 08:29 PM   #83
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Logan has issued an apology to the family of the man who died in the forest. He has still not returned to blogging.

Now today YouTube has issued a further statement and mentions that there will be more consequences for Logan Paul. Maybe they will take away his money maker.

Originally Posted by YouTube
An open letter to our community: Many of you have been frustrated with our lack of communication recently.

You’re right to be. You deserve to know what’s going on.

Like many others, we were upset by the video that was shared last week.

Suicide is not a joke, nor should it ever be a driving force for views. As Anna Akana put it perfectly: “That body was a person someone loved. You do not walk into a suicide forest with a camera and claim mental health awareness.”

We expect more of the creators who build their community on @YouTube, as we’re sure you do too. The channel violated our community guidelines, we acted accordingly, and we are looking at further consequences.

It’s taken us a long time to respond, but we’ve been listening to everything you’ve been saying. We know that the actions of one creator can affect the entire community, so we’ll have more to share soon on steps we’re taking to ensure a video like this is never circulated again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...r-consequences
Old 9th January 2018, 08:48 PM   #84
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
One person i talked to says they have downloaded the original and compared different frames and the body does move.

However, they are unable to upload the evidence to youtube because of terms of services.

Now could the movement of the body be a result of wind? maybe. Or it could be that they touched the body? maybe,. or could be that it is just a dude pretending to be dead and the whole thing is a stunt? probably .
You left out the most important possibility. The person you "talked to" could be wrong about the video and the dead body doesn't move.
Old 10th January 2018, 02:17 AM   #85
fagin
Philosopher

If it is not busted by midnight on Tuesday i will take the L and vow not to return to this thread, even if new info comes to light, until such a time that it is revealed as and accepted by most of the world to have been a hoax.
Bye bye then.
Old 10th January 2018, 09:08 AM   #86
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Well, the bank account at Schadenfreude Bank AG will soon be richer! The Tuesday deadline has long passed and there is zero evidence that this was a hoax.

Time to concede Esspee? Or are you going to do a Roy Moore?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 11:02 AM   #87
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Well, the bank account at Schadenfreude Bank AG will soon be richer! The Tuesday deadline has long passed and there is zero evidence that this was a hoax.

Time to concede Esspee? Or are you going to do a Roy Moore?
If he sticks to his vow then he can never answer you and consequently will have done a "Roy Moore". If he doesn't, then he has welched on a promise.

The poor guy was doomed from the start.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 04:42 PM   #88
Axxman300
Illuminator

YouTube cuts business ties with Logan:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...l-hold-1073814

I'm not seeing a hoax here.
Old 10th January 2018, 05:38 PM   #89
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
If he sticks to his vow then he can never answer you and consequently will have done a "Roy Moore". If he doesn't, then he has welched on a promise.

The poor guy was doomed from the start.
Esspee has conceded in a PM, but you are quite correct that part of the commitment was to vacate the thread, which he say he has now done. (No word on our SkeptiPesos. I guess we put the party on hold.)

Question Answered. Thread Dead.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 05:43 PM   #90
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Esspee scorecard:

Flyboard Air = Fail
Kangaroo Punch = Fail
Suicide Forest = Fail
Old 10th January 2018, 05:45 PM   #91
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I hope we've learned from this, class. Next he'll be trying to tell us that this isn't real:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Old 10th January 2018, 07:17 PM   #92
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
We have the truth. "Douchebag makes douchey video, starts getting flack for it, says he's sorry then goes incommunicado for a few days hoping it'll all blow over and he can go back to being a douchebag!"
Summed up nicely!!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 08:51 PM   #93
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Summed up nicely!!
So what is the next thing our expert at detecting hoaxes will declare is faked?

I suggest he will go big. I think he'll declare WWI was all a big fraud.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 03:44 AM   #94
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'll reiterate that I haven't watched the video in question and have no intention of ever watching it or any of his other videos. He doesn't deserve the attention.

I live in Japan, btw, since 2001 and before that I was stationed here for a few years when I was in the Navy. Some people here probably know that already, but I'll state that for the record.

Rather than Logan Paul, instead I'd like to recommend this video by a Japanese YouTuber about Logan Paul and his other videos from Japan:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Guys like this (Logan Paul) are particularly annoying to expatriates like me who try to be a good "unofficial ambassador" for our country. Please folks, when you go overseas, if you do go overseas, please try not to embarrass your country.

Also this:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/10/16...e-red-thinning

Hard to see this working out to his advantage.
Old 11th January 2018, 04:44 AM   #95
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

......redeem my kudos tokens here
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 02:15 PM   #96
Azrael 5
Philosopher

So what do people think his punishment should be?He's been very stupid,seems that is all he ever is,but should he be denied a living for ever?
Maybe Youtube should suspend his monetization for a year say? Obviously a lot of brands/all of them are going to desert him and maybe his career is over?
Old 11th January 2018, 03:52 PM   #97
fagin
Philosopher

So he can get a job. Maybe McDonalds is hiring.
Old 11th January 2018, 04:23 PM   #98
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
So what do people think his punishment should be?He's been very stupid,seems that is all he ever is,but should he be denied a living for ever?
If he has actual skills, then he should be able to find an off-camera job. If he's so popular that he's worth streaming, then maybe he can get paid by a competing video service (e.g., Vimeo). If his entertainment career is over, then it's time to do something else like anyone else not employed in the entertainment industry. I don't know why Google/YouTube should have any responsibility to enable him.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 11th January 2018 at 04:41 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 09:24 PM   #99
EHocking
Philosopher

Maybe Youtube should suspend his monetization for a year say? Obviously a lot of brands/all of them are going to desert him and maybe his career is over?
Are you talking about esspee or Logan?
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 09:57 PM   #100
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Oh no poor him. He might actually have to do the same as anyone else who has lost their job and live off his savings until he gets a new one.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 10:41 AM   #101
JesseCuster
Muse

That's a bit hyperbolic. If YouTube didn't exist in the first place, would he be unable to make a living at all?

If YouTube stops paying him then he'll be no more denied a living forever than someone being fired from a regular job is being denied a living for the rest of their life.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 11:14 AM   #102
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Three things happened. YouTube Red cancelled an upcoming film project it had going with Logan. That film was to be a sequel to one already done with him called The Thinning.

Logan was removed from Google's top tier advertising platform.

His YouTube account received a strike. After three strikes the account is cancelled and he wouldn't be on YouTube at all.
Old 13th January 2018, 11:30 AM   #103
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
That's a bit hyperbolic. If YouTube didn't exist in the first place, would he be unable to make a living at all?

If YouTube stops paying him then he'll be no more denied a living forever than someone being fired from a regular job is being denied a living for the rest of their life.
Logan Paul is now toxic. He will have great difficulties working with promoters, producers and advertisers.

YouTube Red will no longer work with him so he lost millions in future income from those films. More millions are lost by not having Google top tier ad placement.

He can still earn money from his existing YouTube vblog channel which now has one strike against it. But he's not creating anything there anymore though he says this is temporary.

If he loses YouTube or decides to abandon it he would be forced to venture forth with some other web video platform because that is essentially what he is all about. It would be likely that he would face lots of rejection.

He showed the world that he is a stupid young man making stupid decisions.
Old 13th January 2018, 12:14 PM   #104
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Oh no poor him. He might actually have to do the same as anyone else who has lost their job and live off his savings until he gets a new one.

According to Forbes the dolt made $12.5 million in 2017, a million more than his brother.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 09:47 PM   #105
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Logan Paul is now toxic. He will have great difficulties working with promoters, producers and advertisers.

YouTube Red will no longer work with him so he lost millions in future income from those films. More millions are lost by not having Google top tier ad placement.

He can still earn money from his existing YouTube vblog channel which now has one strike against it. But he's not creating anything there anymore though he says this is temporary.

If he loses YouTube or decides to abandon it he would be forced to venture forth with some other web video platform because that is essentially what he is all about. It would be likely that he would face lots of rejection.

He showed the world that he is a stupid young man making stupid decisions.

In your dreams, Parcher. Logan will pull a Zoie Burgher* activate the Logang and continue on with Patreon or something else!

*another personality who came to my attention whilst trying to figure out who the **** Logan Paul is.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 12:42 AM   #106
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
According to Forbes the dolt made $12.5 million in 2017, a million more than his brother.
If he can get a 3% return on that he'll get annual interest/ income (from that capital) of $375,000. I wouldn't worry too much about his finances, even if I had any sympathy for him.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 04:23 AM   #107
Azrael 5
Philosopher

WOW! Oh well I dont suppose he need a job ever again really.
Old 14th January 2018, 05:12 AM   #108
fagin
Philosopher

Unless he blew it all on blow and hookers. Seems the type.
Old 14th January 2018, 06:47 AM   #109
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

His decision making prowess is likely to extend to financial matters.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 11:37 AM   #110
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Ironic that the youtube community so outraged that they now make videos about Logan Paul outrage thus generating more publicity for him and revenue for themselves.

Ive seen the occasional comment on Facebook threads with people defending Logan Paul! "Suicide awareness" FFS he and his gang are laughing at a suicide victim an dhi syoung fans (well some of them maybe )still dont see it.
Old 14th January 2018, 01:28 PM   #111
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
I have no objection to a performer losing favor for exhibiting bad taste. Should happen more often.

But on the other hand, I'm not seeing how respect for the dignity or privacy of suicide victims produces any benefit toward suicide prevention. The reverse seems more likely to be true.
Old 16th January 2018, 01:17 PM   #112
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I think that it is highly likely that LOGAN PAUL's 'Suicide forest' video is in fact a hoax.

I think it is a brilliant viral hoax, with the whole internet and mainstream media now giving him a lot of coverage over this.

If you do not know what i am talking about this is a good introduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyihHuINXC4 (not my video) and if you watch one of the re-uploads of the original Logan Paul video you may agree with me that it seems incredibly prank like.

If you disagree with my opinion feel free to make your argument below.

(p.s. Here is his official apology video too, assuming i am right, he did well to keep a straight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwZT7T-TXT0 )

I vaguely recall you. You're that bloke who, whenever anything happens, you waste spend a good deal of time pretending it didn't happen. Go 'ed, mate. Keep reaching for that rainbow!

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 04:25 AM   #113
Azrael 5
Philosopher

The Logan Paul knock on effect?
https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/16/yo...ghtens-rukles/
YouTube cancelling monetization on small time Youtubers (below 1K subs)and tightening up rules.
Old 17th January 2018, 10:56 AM   #114
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

this has massively increased awareness of his brand and his subscriber count is doing very well as a result. As far as publicity stunts go, this one is unprecedented in its success.

This will likely not harm him in the pocket at all, it will only make him richer IMO
Hello.
Old 17th January 2018, 11:27 AM   #115
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Hello.
To be fair to esspee, s/he did say that if proven wrong that s/he would abandon the thread. S/he has accepted privately that s/he is wrong. So, don't expect a response here.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:14 AM   #116
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus. Life's not fair.

Did you know that there's even YouTube channels (popular ones too) dedicated to unboxing merchandise. Apparently this is very popular with young children. They like to watch people opening up toys.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ube-real-stars

How much money this translates into for the people who make these videos I'm not sure but I'm sure the top ones do very well.
Old 20th January 2018, 05:00 PM   #117
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
He's baAaack...

I'd ask to use full body armour. Like the lightweight downhill mountain bike stuff.

I have no idea why they don't wear it. Its insane. Gear like that weighs very little and in a crash can make the differnce.
What would have been cuts and bruises can be reduced to just being a little shook up.
What would have been broken bones can be reduced to bruises.
What would have been compound fractures and shattered bone can be reduced to clean breaks.

If/when i ever fly it i will try my best to wear an armour suit.

Because lthough you aare flying over water, you are not landing on it.
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:37 AM   #118
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I remember reading about this forest when Japan had a financial crash in the 90s. Executives who had to let workers go (something almost unheard of at that point) went there to kill themselves. There was a pretty good documentary about a forester who works for the Japanese government in the woods who finds the bodies and occasionally stops people from killing themselves. Point being, sadly, there's nothing odd or unexpected about finding a body in that forest. I gathered from watching the documentary, hangings were rather common.

To say the least, going camping there for a YouTube stunt is in very poor taste even if they hadn't seen the body.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 03:51 PM   #119
CompusMentus
Waiting for the Worms

Originally Posted by BBC
US YouTube star Logan Paul has returned to the [YouTube] platform with a video about suicide awareness

Effective emetic.........see HERE (BBC)

Compus

Last edited by CompusMentus; 24th January 2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Clarity
CompusMentus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2018, 08:28 AM   #120
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CompusMentus View Post
Effective emetic.........see HERE (BBC)

Compus
Stable door..bolting horses anyone?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories