ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th February 2018, 02:06 PM   #81
Axxman300
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Why? Is it OK they covertly steer reporting, even if nothing changed? There is no way to know whether or not anything changed since it was covert, unless you have inside info.

After the fact it showed trusting citizens the info delivery system cannot be trusted as it should.

No one including you can know whether or not that system is trustworthy, and whether or not it is still happening.
Had you bothered to read about the program the CIA didn't manipulate ALL journalists, just a few, and mostly overseas(which is their job BTW).

There are 3 kinds of propaganda:

1. Propaganda based on lies.

2. Propaganda based on perceived truth, which is based on cherry-picked facts to manipulate targeted prejudice (US Segregation Laws evolved from this).

3. Propaganda based on telling one side of the story only. In the 1930's Germany it was Jews are evil, in WWII US & UK it was the Third Reich are evil, murdering bastards, in the 1950's & 60's it was "The USSR is out to get us." or "Yankee Aggression will be the end of us all."

#1 & #2 always fall apart quickly - always. What you saw the CIA doing was #3, which was contrasting what the west was doing with what the Communist east was doing.

Knowing what is trustworthy in 2018 is as simple as stocking your Twitter feed with a variety of foreign journalists, a wide range on news papers, and just average (intelligent) people from around the globe. I get news out of Syria faster and unfiltered (which can be good and bad) from Twitter live-streams than I do the BBC, or US News outlets.

Being fooled, being a fool is a choice.

So unless you're bummed out the Soviet Union collapsed I'm not sure what you're on about.
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:27 AM   #82
Bubba
Master Poster

Seen on the internet today:

H.R. 5181 (114th): Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act of 2016

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr5181/text
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:49 AM   #83
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Seen on the internet today:

H.R. 5181 (114th): Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act of 2016

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr5181/text
Quote:
(5)the United States Government should develop a comprehensive strategy to counter foreign disinformation and propaganda and assert leadership in developing a fact-based strategic narrative; and
(6)an important element of this strategy should be to protect and promote a free, healthy, and independent press in countries vulnerable to foreign disinformation.
The published and stated intention of the US government to develop a fact-based narrative, and to encourage a free and independent press is surely the opposite of your speculation that the CIA is trying to control and manipulate the press to promote propaganda, isn't it? Is this the point you wanted to make here?

Last edited by Cosmic Yak; 23rd February 2018 at 01:50 AM.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:03 AM   #84
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

There was an item on RT recently which indicated the close connection between the CIA and FBI and Hollywood. There was a case mentioned where a writer had his career ruined and another mysteriously murdered, for trying to make a film about the Iranian contras. It's a bit like this forum when anybody says anything controversial:

http://aun-tv.com/2014/09/will-holly...p-and-the-cia/
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:15 AM   #85
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
There was an item on RT recently which indicated the close connection between the CIA and FBI and Hollywood. There was a case mentioned where a writer had his career ruined and another mysteriously murdered, for trying to make a film about the Iranian contras. It's a bit like this forum when anybody says anything controversial:
You're still here. Why is that, if anyone with knowledge of conspiracies is "disappearing"?

Hnk

Last edited by HSienzant; 2nd March 2018 at 10:53 AM.
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:46 AM   #86
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post
You're still here. Why is that, if anyone with knowledge of conspiracies are "disappearing"?

Hnk
pssst, pssst Henri isn't really here - he is, ah, elsewhere - nudge nudge wink wink.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:10 PM   #87
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
pssst, pssst Henri isn't really here - he is, ah, elsewhere - nudge nudge wink wink.
I was going to point out there were two possibilities:

(a) Either conspiracy theorists aren't getting bumped off like May files in June.
(b) Henri doesn't know as much about the conspiracy as he likes to think to be considered a threat by the conspirators.

Of course, there's also a third option, as the above two options aren't mutually exclusive.

(c) All of the above.

Hank

Last edited by HSienzant; 2nd March 2018 at 12:11 PM.
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 03:56 PM   #88
Hans
Philosopher

I was going to point out there were two possibilities:

(a) Either conspiracy theorists aren't getting bumped off like May files in June.
(b) Henri doesn't know as much about the conspiracy as he likes to think to be considered a threat by the conspirators.

Of course, there's also a third option, as the above two options aren't mutually exclusive.

(c) All of the above.

Hank
Yeah that is always the weakness with the idea of vast evil conspiracies - the described group is usually impossible large and powerful but somehow are incapable of dealing with an individual divulging its secrets. Yet others like the KGB, Gestapo, NK government, drug gangs, Mafia, etc., are fully capable of silencing trouble makers without the slightest difficulty.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 02:18 AM   #89
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

http://aun-tv.com/2014/09/will-holly...p-and-the-cia/
Here's the condensed timeline for you:
1996: Webb publishes his series entitled 'Dark Alliance', about a supposed CIA- drug-smuggling connection. It is not censored.
The story is picked up ny numerous other media outlets, and triggers 3 federal investigations. None of this is censored. No-one is killed as a result.
1997: Following widespread criticism of the series, Webb resigns.He is not killed.
1998: Webb publishes a book about this subject. It is not censored. He is not killed.
2004: Webb commits suicide. His book, and other articles about the affair, are republished. They are not censored.
2014: A film is made about the story. The film is released, and is not censored. No-one is killed.

Looking at it this way, it would appear that the Evil Them have, instead of suppressing this story, have in fact fanned the flames of publicity and ensured a much wider audience, and a greater longevity, by not doing any of the things you claimed they did, in favour of letting Webb and his descendants live for some time after the story broke, letting them continue to publish, and allowing a Hollywood film to be made about it.

Faced with this level of incompetence, I submit we have nothing to fear from this conspiracy of cretins.
Old 3rd March 2018, 04:19 AM   #90
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

The point is that the FBI and CIA control Hollywood, and that no criticism of the FBI or CIA is allowed on penalty of death, or ruined careers. It was the same in the past if you were a communist. It's like no journalist can be employed now who thinks there was no Russian collusion, even at the BBC.

There is a bit on YouTube about this. I found the recent RT 'Watching the Hawks' interesting about this, but that does not seem to be on YouTube at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub9UWwEy8Yw
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:08 AM   #91
HSienzant
Illuminator

The point is that the FBI and CIA control Hollywood, and that no criticism of the FBI or CIA is allowed on penalty of death, or ruined careers.
That would be news to the FBI, the CIA, and Hollywood.

We'll await your evidence of these assertions, particularly naming those who were put to death for criticizing the FBI or CIA.

We all know you're just making stuff up.

Hank
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:16 AM   #92
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

I'm not making this up. You are ill-informed. You can't get a job at the BBC, let alone Hollywood, if you don't support the Syrian opposition, or don't believe in Russian collusion. The New York Times gets awards for telling lies.

http://theduran.com/the-cia-and-deep...d-for-decades/
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:44 AM   #93
hgus
Critical Thinker

That would be news to the FBI, the CIA, and Hollywood.

We'll await your evidence of these assertions, particularly naming those who were put to death for criticizing the FBI or CIA.

We all know you're just making stuff up.

Hank
Maybe, They go full 1984 and not only kill the critics, but also erase them from memory?
hgus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:16 AM   #94
Axxman300
Master Poster

I'm not making this up. You are ill-informed. You can't get a job at the BBC, let alone Hollywood, if you don't support the Syrian opposition, or don't believe in Russian collusion. The New York Times gets awards for telling lies.

Here's the problem.

Nobody in Hollywood knows where Syria is, let alone knows that there's a war going on there. When I say nobody I mean 90% of the folks you'll see on the red carpet tomorrow night at the Oscars.

The CIA doesn't control any aspect of Hollywood, just look at the movies about the CIA since 1970.

The FBI can barely control the FBI.
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:23 AM   #95
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Here's the problem.

Nobody in Hollywood knows where Syria is, let alone knows that there's a war going on there. When I say nobody I mean 90% of the folks you'll see on the red carpet tomorrow night at the Oscars.

The CIA doesn't control any aspect of Hollywood, just look at the movies about the CIA since 1970.

Yeah it is interesting but from the movies I've seen the CIA is often cast as the bad guys or of questionable ethics - is that really what they do with their control of the media? Makes themselves look bad? Hmmm.

Oh my niece is involved in TV show productions AND she knows where Syria is so that makes it .001% in Hollywood do know where it actually is.

Now there are movies that show the CIA/ a CIA character in a good light but they are in my opinion in the distinct minority.

Last edited by Hans; 3rd March 2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:24 AM   #96
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

The source that feverish The Duran diatribe relies on doesn't seem to show the CIA and Hollywood connection either as damning, or as totalitarian, as you seem to want to believe.

Here is a review.

"The CIA in Hollywood: How the Agency Shapes Film and Television," by Tricia Jenkins
Old 4th March 2018, 02:26 PM   #97
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Here's the problem.

Those are hoaxes.

Yeah it is interesting but from the movies I've seen the CIA is often cast as the bad guys or of questionable ethics - is that really what they do with their control of the media? Makes themselves look bad? Hmmm.

Oh my niece is involved in TV show productions AND she knows where Syria is so that makes it .001% in Hollywood do know where it actually is.

Now there are movies that show the CIA/ a CIA character in a good light but they are in my opinion in the distinct minority.
And that is a False Flag operation perpetrated by the MOSSAD to make teh CIA look bad.

OPEN YER EYES, SHEEPLE!!11!1

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 04:02 AM   #98
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
Those are hoaxes.

And that is a False Flag operation perpetrated by the MOSSAD to make teh CIA look bad.

OPEN YER EYES, SHEEPLE!!11!1
There seems to be some funny goings on between Mossad and Harvey Weinstein:

http://www.hangthebankers.com/harvey...xually-abused/

I have never seen a CIA agent, or FBI agent, accused of bumping off people, or being idle and incompetent, in any Hollywood film. That's why the public simply can't believe it.
Old 5th March 2018, 06:10 AM   #99
Hans
Philosopher

There seems to be some funny goings on between Mossad and Harvey Weinstein:

http://www.hangthebankers.com/harvey...xually-abused/

I have never seen a CIA agent, or FBI agent, accused of bumping off people, or being idle and incompetent, in any Hollywood film. That's why the public simply can't believe it.
Oh my so you don't watch movies huh? Henri you are amazingly glued to your TV set only? So if in your sheltered life you've never seen that - well that just shows how out of touch with reality you are. As clearly demonstrated by the many amusing things you say.

Never heard of the Bourne series?

JFK?

Etc

Here's a whole list of them for you - enjoy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_in_fiction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...rayal_in_media
Old 5th March 2018, 10:20 AM   #100
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Oh my so you don't watch movies huh? Henri you are amazingly glued to your TV set only? So if in your sheltered life you've never seen that - well that just shows how out of touch with reality you are. As clearly demonstrated by the many amusing things you say.

Never heard of the Bourne series?

JFK?

Etc

Here's a whole list of them for you - enjoy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_in_fiction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...rayal_in_media
I thought CTers saw movies and TV as some form of mind control programming done by Teh Ebil Shaduw GobmintsTM?

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 01:03 PM   #101
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Are Reptilians actually reptiles, though?
Probably, but republickers definitely are!!!! Watching last night's Star Talk which makes this quite appropriate!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 03:15 PM   #102
Venom
Graduate Poster

What was the business about mobster affiliate Jack Ruby shooting and killing Harvey Oswald. Revenge or he "knew too much"? Was he just a good friend of Kennedy or something.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 03:49 PM   #103
Axxman300
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
What was the business about mobster affiliate Jack Ruby shooting and killing Harvey Oswald. Revenge or he "knew too much"? Was he just a good friend of Kennedy or something.
Wrong thread. Ask in the JFK thread.
Old 4th April 2018, 11:35 AM   #104
Allen773
Muse

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
An impulsive and insecure glory-seeker and alcoholic who was a big JFK fan and who (rightly) hated the man who had just murdered the President of the United States? Not too hard to imagine him (or many others) being a vigilante - especially with Dallas law enforcement's admittedly lax security.

If the goddamn President of the United States could overrule his Secret Service and ride in an open convertible in a major motorcade with local media announcing the motorcade's route in the paper, how tight do you think that the security of the assassin of the President (and a local cop, too) would be?

Things were a lot more lax in those days. That was 55 years ago, after all. Hindsight bias!

Last edited by Allen773; 4th April 2018 at 11:43 AM.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2018, 04:39 PM   #105
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
An impulsive and insecure glory-seeker and alcoholic who was a big JFK fan and who (rightly) hated the man who had just murdered the President of the United States? Not too hard to imagine him (or many others) being a vigilante - especially with Dallas law enforcement's admittedly lax security.

If the goddamn President of the United States could overrule his Secret Service and ride in an open convertible in a major motorcade with local media announcing the motorcade's route in the paper, how tight do you think that the security of the assassin of the President (and a local cop, too) would be?

Things were a lot more lax in those days. That was 55 years ago, after all. Hindsight bias!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories