ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Old 12th August 2017, 11:52 AM   #2801
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
In China by the prestigious Plasma Science and Technology Journal.
Want to do soemthing VERY funny ?

Go to the root of the domain where the download is.

http://pst.hfcas.ac.cn/

Disable scripting.

And explain me why the "plasma science and tech" journal main domain IS NOT a list of article, or an advice to use html+scripting to get the web site displayed, but a spam site with "beauty beauty beauty" as main link and linking to sub domain spam beauty web site.

美女美女美女 美女美女 (e.g. second link is http://www.3764.net/ a dating web site)

I am in IT and there is NO WAY I can explain why disabling scripting lead to a spam domain web site. At worst it should advise you to enable scripting and that you won't get the normal web site, but it should not be a spam web site SEO for beauty and dating.

ETA: one can pretend it is rooted and somebody replaced the home.html default, but it does look like the linked domain spam are actually old, and some even long defunct. In other word the home.shtml was there for as long time.

I am smelling a rat. Is that even a real journal ?

Last edited by Aepervius; 12th August 2017 at 12:02 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:34 PM   #2802
jrhowell
Thinker

Originally Posted by markie View Post
For those wanting some update, there is a minor one here:
https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...esentation.pdf
Thanks. That clearly demonstrates that they are still looking for investors. I guess that it must be hard to find people with lots of money who are gullible enough to ignore BLP's 30 year history of failure.

That marketing document is interesting for how misleading it is for someone not well informed regarding the progress of SunCell. It touts a number of important sounding accomplishments and engineering challenges met. It describes hiring outside businesses to complete the design of various aspects of the commercial product. This all makes it sound as if the major hurdles have all been passed and that they are well on the way to introducing a revolutionary energy source.

What is not stated is easy to miss. There is no mention of ever having produced a sustained energy-producing reaction. All of the mentions of vast amounts of power are merely projections.

Potential investors might be forgiven for missing that fact. After all, who in their right mind would be working on the details of a commercial product before they have even demonstrated that the basic principal on which is supposed to operate even works?
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:01 PM   #2803
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
After all, who in their right mind would be working on the details of a commercial product before they have even demonstrated that the basic principal on which is supposed to operate even works?

.....er, ah...raises a hand.....a scammer? Who has used the same tactics and wording before?
Hans is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:21 PM   #2804
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Want to do soemthing VERY funny ?

Go to the root of the domain where the download is.

http://pst.hfcas.ac.cn/

Disable scripting.

And explain me why the "plasma science and tech" journal main domain IS NOT a list of article, or an advice to use html+scripting to get the web site displayed, but a spam site with "beauty beauty beauty" as main link and linking to sub domain spam beauty web site.

美女美女美女 美女美女 (e.g. second link is http://www.3764.net/ a dating web site)

I am in IT and there is NO WAY I can explain why disabling scripting lead to a spam domain web site. At worst it should advise you to enable scripting and that you won't get the normal web site, but it should not be a spam web site SEO for beauty and dating.

ETA: one can pretend it is rooted and somebody replaced the home.html default, but it does look like the linked domain spam are actually old, and some even long defunct. In other word the home.shtml was there for as long time.

I am smelling a rat. Is that even a real journal ?

That is fascinating and somewhat eyebrow raising. Nonetheless, it is a real journal. If it wasn't it wouldn't be one of the 70 or so journals that IOPscience publishes. The abstract is available here:

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...72/aa7383/meta
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:32 PM   #2805
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post

What is not stated is easy to miss. There is no mention of ever having produced a sustained energy-producing reaction. All of the mentions of vast amounts of power are merely projections.

I would say that is pretty close to the truth. This has been sustained reaction at low power, and relatively short energy producing reaction at high power. Putting the two together is the primary challenge and a reasonable projection.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:58 PM   #2806
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

That is fascinating and somewhat eyebrow raising. Nonetheless, it is a real journal.
The journal's impact factor is impressive, too, no?

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 10:55 PM   #2807
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

I would say that is pretty close to the truth. This has been sustained reaction at low power, and relatively short energy producing reaction at high power. Putting the two together is the primary challenge and a reasonable projection.
Yes, thats what you get when you oxidize metals.
At low power it takes a long time, at high power they burn quickly.

The technology that uses this is called a 'battery'
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:43 AM   #2808
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

That is fascinating and somewhat eyebrow raising. Nonetheless, it is a real journal. If it wasn't it wouldn't be one of the 70 or so journals that IOPscience publishes. The abstract is available here:

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...72/aa7383/meta
I am very surprised and worried that a paper with an ATM abstract like that (the H(1/4) nonsense) gets through peer review. I would immediately put it into the circular archive.

I don't know the journal, but with an impact factor of 0.83 ...

It also seems to be heavily directed at the chinese plasma community, which in itself need not be bad, I have a few very good chinese colleagues with whom I write papers, but that makes is seem like a vehicle to get chinese research (easily) published.

(Max Headroom)
follow me on twitter: @tusenfem, or follow Rosetta Plasma Consortium: @Rosetta_RPC
tusenfem is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 10:33 AM   #2809
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Yes, thats what you get when you oxidize metals.
At low power it takes a long time, at high power they burn quickly.

The technology that uses this is called a 'battery'

Any possible oxidation reactions that generate heat have been taken into account. Par for the course since Mills started this work in the early 1990s.

With the SunCell, silver was chosen in part because it does not suffer net oxidation at high temperatures and thus can be cycled indefinitely.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:32 AM   #2810
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Any possible oxidation reactions that generate heat have been taken into account. Par for the course since Mills started this work in the early 1990s.
Of course it was taken into account...by the same person that claimed observing spectral lines outside the capability of the instrument he used for the measurement.

Quote:
With the SunCell, silver was chosen in part because it does not suffer net oxidation at high temperatures and thus can be cycled indefinitely.
If only it worked, then Mills would really have something, wouldn't he?

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:06 PM   #2811
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Nonetheless, it is a real journal. If it wasn't it wouldn't be one of the 70 or so journals that IOPscience publishes.
To be more exact, the publishing arm of IOPscience is IOP Publishing and it publishes Plasma Science and Technology. This is a low impact (0.83 2016 Impact Factor) journal published by the Institute of Plasma Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics.

Why is Mills publishing in a low impact journal where mostly Chinese plasma researchers publish?
If Mills had a good paper he would have published it in a high impact, probably American (he is American) journal. So the answer is obvious - he shopped the paper around until he found a journal anywhere in the world where the editor and peer reviewers did not reject the paper because of the obvious lies about astronomy and the hydrino delusion in his paper.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 12:25 PM   #2812
Myriad
Hyperthetical

That alone is a strong indication that the invention is rubbing up against fundamental limits, wherein it can only trade off one thing against another.

"Our bank offers investments with high returns but high risk of loss, and investments that are safe but have low returns. Putting the two together is the primary challenge..."

"We've developed cars with high performance and low fuel economy, and ones with excellent fuel economy but mediocre performance. Putting the two together is the primary challenge..."

"Some water bottles are bulky but they hold a lot of water; others are compact but they don't hold much. Putting the two together is the primary challenge..."

"When I eat my cake fast it's very satisfying but it doesn't last long; when I eat it slow it lasts a long time but I have to take small bites and wait around in between bites. Putting the two together is the primary challenge..."

At this point "putting the two together" is about as reasonable a challenge as inventing a pint-sized water bottle that pours out a gallon of water (whether slowly or quickly; it won't work either way!). The fact that at every tradeoff point Mills has attempted the result has been "not commercially viable" should give you pause. If I had money invested in this I'd have held a memorial service for it and moved on, years ago.
Old 14th August 2017, 12:45 PM   #2813
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I think if Mills were here, he would ask Markie to stop helping him.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 12:50 PM   #2814
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I think if Mills were here, he would ask Markie to stop helping him.
Nonsense.

Markie is like the Nigerian scammer who spells "president" three ways and thinks the USA has a king. He helps winnow out the people too smart to fall for the scam.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:24 AM   #2815
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
That alone is a strong indication that the invention is rubbing up against fundamental limits, wherein it can only trade off one thing against another.

"Our bank offers investments with high returns but high risk of loss, and investments that are safe but have low returns. Putting the two together is the primary challenge..."

"We've developed cars with high performance and low fuel economy, and ones with excellent fuel economy but mediocre performance. Putting the two together is the primary challenge..."

"Some water bottles are bulky but they hold a lot of water; others are compact but they don't hold much. Putting the two together is the primary challenge..."

"When I eat my cake fast it's very satisfying but it doesn't last long; when I eat it slow it lasts a long time but I have to take small bites and wait around in between bites. Putting the two together is the primary challenge..."

At this point "putting the two together" is about as reasonable a challenge as inventing a pint-sized water bottle that pours out a gallon of water (whether slowly or quickly; it won't work either way!). The fact that at every tradeoff point Mills has attempted the result has been "not commercially viable" should give you pause. If I had money invested in this I'd have held a memorial service for it and moved on, years ago.

False equivalences of course. Unlike your examples (which deserve merit for their creativity), sustained power and high power are not mutually exclusive. They are merely difficult to put together, such that the chemistry and engineering achieves a closed, controlled and continuous high power reaction. BLP is well on their way as their August summary describes.
Old 15th August 2017, 07:29 AM   #2816
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

BLP is well on their way as their August summary describes.
As, of course, do all their previous summaries all the way back to 1991.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:44 AM   #2817
halleyscomet
Philosopher

False equivalences of course. Unlike your examples (which deserve merit for their creativity), sustained power and high power are not mutually exclusive. They are merely difficult to put together, such that the chemistry and engineering achieves a closed, controlled and continuous high power reaction. BLP is well on their way as their August summary describes.
You offer nothing but your own wishful thinking to suggest the caparisons given are a false equivalence.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 09:11 AM   #2818
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
As, of course, do all their previous summaries all the way back to 1991.

Dave
.....and this is where all of Markie's pretense collapses.............................but he just keeps trying to make the scam seem possible.............it just has to work...........because, because, because....lol

In a way I am looking forward to the years passing and markie screaming & ranting more and more that success is just around the corner....this time.
Hans is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 09:12 AM   #2819
Hans
Philosopher

Brilliant
Old 15th August 2017, 09:13 AM   #2820
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
You offer nothing but your own wishful thinking to suggest the caparisons given are a false equivalence.
Maybe Mills could sell that - the generation of wishful thinking - that he seems to be able to create by the megaton.
Old 15th August 2017, 09:34 AM   #2821
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Maybe Mills could sell that - the generation of wishful thinking - that he seems to be able to create by the megaton.

Hey, why not? It's what horoscopes have been selling for millennia.
Old 15th August 2017, 09:48 AM   #2822
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

"On July 21, Mills announced that the system engineering for a complete electric generator design has been completed and that his engineering contractor estimates that it will take another 16-18 weeks to build a small 100 kW generator using his technology."
We have now passed 36 months since that July 2014 announcement.

And of course there have been many similar announcements before and since that one.

All totally unfulfilled, and more than that, all totally devoid of any subsequent sign of a working device.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 10:04 AM   #2823
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

They very likely are mutually exclusive in this case markie. That was the point Myriad made. This is simply because hydrinos don't exist. The effect is a much more limited burning effect. That potential energy is fixed and can be released slowly in tiny amounts over a long time, or quickly in an energy dense flash bang wow moment. But not both. That's because Mills does not produce hydrinos, he produces burnt metals. Refined metals do have some potential energy stored in them, but nothing like the amount Mills claims for his mythical hydrino production.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 15th August 2017 at 10:05 AM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 10:28 AM   #2824
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
that makes is seem like a vehicle to get chinese research (easily) published.
When Deng Xiaoping came to power in China in 1977, he began pursuing a strategy of manufacturing and export. It worked quite well since China had a lower labor cost than western counties and Walmart in particular began pushing companies to move manufacturing to China after Sam Walton died in 1992. Today though, the world market has been saturated with Chinese goods and, with rising wages, they are now being undercut in labor costs by places like Vietnam. They see the future as being high tech and plan to get ahead of the west by 2030. But how do you get there? See, unlike manufacturing where the central government can just order that factories are built and raw materials are allocated, you can't just make science appear with the stroke of a pen. What to do, what to do?

Eventually, the government of China decided that the best way to get more and better science would be to pay researchers for journal publications. The Holy Grail of publication is an article in "Nature" which can get you a bonus worth 10 years salary. Lesser journals can get you a bonus worth a few months salary. So, journal publications by Chinese researchers have, well ... exploded. And, this has given Chinese officials bragging rights and made them feel smug and optimistic. The only problem is that the incentive has been to get an article published, any article, not that the material has to be important or real.

China cracks down after investigation finds massive peer-review fraud

This isn't new. "Science" magazine talked about the academic black market in China back in 2013. And, here's an article from the Economist also from 2013: Looks good on paper

Here is a pretty good article on retractions due to faulty peer review: China publishes more science research with fabricated peer-review than everyone else put together
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 12:15 PM   #2825
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
They very likely are mutually exclusive in this case markie. That was the point Myriad made. This is simply because hydrinos don't exist. The effect is a much more limited burning effect. That potential energy is fixed and can be released slowly in tiny amounts over a long time, or quickly in an energy dense flash bang wow moment. But not both. That's because Mills does not produce hydrinos, he produces burnt metals. Refined metals do have some potential energy stored in them, but nothing like the amount Mills claims for his mythical hydrino production.

As I've mentioned before, the bottom of page 26 of

http://www.brilliantlightpower.com/w...per-060817.pdf

gives the contents of the bomb calorimetry cell.

When you can let me know how it is that argon, hydrogen, H2O, and silver produce an exothermic reaction, let alone a massive one, please do.
Old 15th August 2017, 12:21 PM   #2826
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

At the temperatures involved water will split into hydrogen and oxygen, which can react with silver.

Not to mention the fact that your 'exothermic' reactions forget to take into account the energy needed to melt the silver, and thus most likely are not exothermic at all.
This would be the reason Mills has been promising energy producing devices for the past thirty years yet producing nothing tangible.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 02:59 PM   #2827
hecd2
Muse

Tesla Model S P100D. 😄

Your point was well made but I couldn't help it.
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM   #2828
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

When you can let me know how it is that argon, hydrogen, H2O, and silver produce an exothermic reaction, let alone a massive one, please do.
You keep forgetting he blew up the machine. The so called "shots" of fuel wasn't the only thing burning markie. It is a simple misdirect via words. Any magician knows how to do it.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM   #2829
jrhowell
Thinker

It makes sense to be skeptical about what they claim is happening in the test setup, given that they still haven't been able to make the reaction occur in way that that continuously produces large amounts of power. Incompetence and/or deception are much more likely than creating hydrinos.

And publishing their results in a pay-to-publish, low impact, Chinese journal isn't likely to make anyone take notice of this and try to replicate it. That was clearly just another ploy to make this appear legitimate to new investors.

Added: What screams SCAM about their approach is that they are continuing to work on the design details of a commercial device without ever having produced the continuous high-power reaction that is supposed to be the heart of it. A legitimate company would be putting ALL of their resources to that end. Once they had that along with truly independent verification by a trustworthy entity, they could leave the engineering details of commercial devices to others more suited to that task.

Last edited by jrhowell; Yesterday at 06:11 AM.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #2830
Prometheus
Acolyte of Varr

When you can cite independent replication of the purported effect, please do.
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology