ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Canada elections , Canada politics , justin trudeau

View Poll Results: Which party do you support in the upcoming Canadian election?
Liberal 3 10.71%
Conservative 4 14.29%
NDP 2 7.14%
Green party 1 3.57%
BQ 0 0%
Other 5 17.86%
I'm from planet X or some other non-Canadian place so I can't vote 13 46.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 20th September 2019, 02:10 PM   #81
AnonyMoose
Muse
 
AnonyMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Land of the Frozen Chosen
Posts: 577
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I myself prefer to cast my vote based on policies and plans. If I happen to vote against Trudeau, its because I don't like his policies regarding the deficit, defense, etc.
I couldn't agree more.


Quote:
But, keep in mind that that sort of mudslinging does come from all political parties. Even the Liberals have engaged in it.

I'm fully aware of the game playing. Which is why I wish the crap would stop, from all sides. I'm fearful of seeing our politics go down the same dysfunctional path as the USA. Our politicians are dysfunctional enough as it is, there's no need to toss even more asinine drama into the mix.



I have no idea which way I'm going to vote this time around. The only thing I know for sure right now is I will not be voting for the PC party like I have in the past, for one reason and one reason only: Andrew Scheer. The thought of having a Trump 2.0 running our country makes my skin crawl.

And if voting Liberal is the only way to keep Scheer from taking the top job, then that's what I will end up doing... even if that means keeping Trudeau at the helm (which I'm no big fan of, although I do agree with some of his policies) for the time being.
__________________
"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." ~ Emo Phillips
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 02:35 PM   #82
AnonyMoose
Muse
 
AnonyMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Land of the Frozen Chosen
Posts: 577
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Nice dodge.
I didn't dodge anything.


Quote:
Trump or Trudeau does not matter;you just basically said a candidate' character and behavior are not legitimate issues in an election.
I said no such thing.


Quote:
Sorry, but your candidate got caught in a very embrassing scandle that, even if he is not a racist, certainly casts doubts about his judgement and his character, and that is legit issue in any election.
He's not "my candidate". This isn't US politics, I don't do dogmatic worshipping of any politician.


Quote:
I repeat, would you make that defense if it was an opposition guy who got caught with his hand in the wringer?
If I knew in my heart the opposition person was not a racist, my reaction would be exactly the same: "Meh".


Quote:
I am not saying this should cost Trudeau his job;I am saying his judgement is here is a legitimate issue in an election.
But that's just it, this whole blackface drama thing could cost him his job. I'd prefer to see a Prime Minister lose his/her job for actual legitimate issues... like screwing up our country's foreign affairs or killing our economy or dragging us into a war we shouldn't be a part of... because of his/her policies. NOT because he or she slathered shoe polish all over their face as a part of a themed costume party from 20 years ago.


Quote:
This whole "only issues should matter" routine is always the cry of his supporters when a politican gets caught up in a scandle like this.
It is an asinine position, frankly.
To repeat: Trudeau is not "my candidate".


I don't worship at his feet. I don't dogmatically support him. I don't handwave his screwups because he's "my guy". If the blackface complaint was a legitimate racist act on his part (whether it was 2 years ago or 20 years ago), I'd be singing a different tune right now.

Stop trying to shove me into one of your US partisan political circus pigeonholes.
__________________
"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." ~ Emo Phillips
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 10:25 PM   #83
Baylor
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,975
I made a thread about Trudeau's love of playing dress-up and his affinity for it is abnormal for grown men. The boomers trashed the thread with the moderators' blessing. Recent developments vindicate me and prove Trudeau's bizarre behavior is deeply rooted, a major cause of concern, and affecting Canadian politics.

Last edited by Baylor; 20th September 2019 at 10:51 PM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 10:26 PM   #84
Baylor
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,975
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I could forgive for the first offense; getting carried away in dressing for a costume party is something that is pretty damn common.
I would put it on the level of Prince Harry's Nazi Uniform fiasco:Stupid but forgivable since there was no real malice involved.
But if it is a case of repeated offenses.....something else is at play here.
When someone tells me he is a Nazi I believe him.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 10:29 PM   #85
Baylor
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,975
Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post

Stop trying to shove me into one of your US partisan political circus pigeonholes.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 08:18 AM   #86
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,491
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have no horse in this race, but just think the idea that a candidate's character and judgement should not be an issue is a stupid idea.
If anything I hope Trudeau wins;partly because I find Mrs.Trudeau so easy to look at...
This is what I said earlier. When a conservative says they will allow their elected members to revisit the abortion issue they are vilified but when the Green Party's leader says it, it is a non-issue.

So, I don't care about the brown face from a Arabian Nights themed party 20 years ago, or what Scheer said when he was in college.

I care about two things:

1- what the party's position on the issues is now.

2- which one would be the best leader.

The first one is why I can't vote conservative. That's as far as I have decided so far.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 08:25 AM   #87
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 25,664
According to Bill Maher, Trudeau has been in brown face so often that Trump has put him on a no-fly list.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 08:41 AM   #88
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
When someone tells me he is a Nazi I believe him.
Did Harry tell you he is a Nazi?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 08:44 AM   #89
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
I didn't dodge anything.


I said no such thing.


He's not "my candidate". This isn't US politics, I don't do dogmatic worshipping of any politician.


If I knew in my heart the opposition person was not a racist, my reaction would be exactly the same: "Meh".


But that's just it, this whole blackface drama thing could cost him his job. I'd prefer to see a Prime Minister lose his/her job for actual legitimate issues... like screwing up our country's foreign affairs or killing our economy or dragging us into a war we shouldn't be a part of... because of his/her policies. NOT because he or she slathered shoe polish all over their face as a part of a themed costume party from 20 years ago.



To repeat: Trudeau is not "my candidate".


I don't worship at his feet. I don't dogmatically support him. I don't handwave his screwups because he's "my guy". If the blackface complaint was a legitimate racist act on his part (whether it was 2 years ago or 20 years ago), I'd be singing a different tune right now.

Stop trying to shove me into one of your US partisan political circus pigeonholes.
Well said. So many Americans only understand US politics and history. They have little idea how things are viewed in the rest of the world. Context is often a concept that causes them difficulty.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 11:39 AM   #90
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 27,335
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trudeau is damaged goods;don't see even the Liberals win the election how he can govern effectively.

There's no way they're going to change leaders in the middle of an election, so we're stuck with him. I'm kind of thinking the best result would be a Liberal win, followed by JT resigning to "spend time with his family".

That's another major factor about Canadian Politics that all the Americans here seem to miss: As others have said, JT doesn't have to be "our guy" for us to vote for him, because in reality, he's just one Member of Parliament out of 308. Even if he wins a majority, we're not necessarily stuck with him, personally, for the next 4 years. If he, or other MPs, feel he's lost the confidence of the house, he can resign as PM, and let someone else take the job. Hell, if the other MPs in his caucus want, they can kick him out.



Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I have to wonder if the people making excuses for Trudeau would be equally saying it should not be an issue it it were a Conservative politician caught in the scandal.

Well, again, that would depend on what that person does about it. Scheer has a history of homophobic utterances, and has never apologized for any of that. In fact, he's continued to push his religious anti-gay agenda. So, yeah, if Scheer, or who ever, played the "Never apologize, never admit error" game, then yeah, he'd get a lot more crap than Trudeau.


Quote:
The worst thing about blind party loyalty is you end up defending some really stupid crap out of loyalty.

And the worst part about not being blindly loyal is having people like you insist that you are blindly loyal because they keep ignoring everything you actually say in preference to the fantasy argument they're having in their head. Go back and actually read this thread. NO ONE is posting "Trudeau Right or Wrong!" crap, and at least some of us have self-identified as former Conservative voters who have stopped voting that way for various reasons. That's literally the exact opposite of "blind party loyalty", and yet it gets entirely ignored.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 07:44 AM   #91
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
There's no way they're going to change leaders in the middle of an election, so we're stuck with him. I'm kind of thinking the best result would be a Liberal win, followed by JT resigning to "spend time with his family".
Don't be silly.

Trudeaus don't just resign to spend time with the family.... they go for a walk in a snowstorm in Ottawa before resigning.

Quote:
That's another major factor about Canadian Politics that all the Americans here seem to miss: As others have said, JT doesn't have to be "our guy" for us to vote for him, because in reality, he's just one Member of Parliament out of 308. Even if he wins a majority, we're not necessarily stuck with him, personally, for the next 4 years. If he, or other MPs, feel he's lost the confidence of the house, he can resign as PM, and let someone else take the job. Hell, if the other MPs in his caucus want, they can kick him out.
True... in the Canadian system you don't directly vote for the prime minister. But, between the lack of 'free votes', the fact that the executive branch generally holds seats in the house of commons, and the fact that MPs can be kicked out of caucus by party leadership (or their nomination papers can just not be signed), the fate of individual MPs rests quite highly on the party leader.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 07:49 AM   #92
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,098
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Whatever people need to do, in your opinion, the point is the “blacking up”, not the impersonation of other people. That’s considered by many to be “beyond the pale”.
Politically, it's damaging. It doesn't change the fact that I find the offense taken at this sort of thing to be ridiculous.

There's a point at which something can be a symptom of actual oppression. Dressing up at a party isn't it.

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
He's not "my candidate". This isn't US politics, I don't do dogmatic worshipping of any politician.
American vs Canadian politics, man.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:04 AM   #93
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
I have no idea which way I'm going to vote this time around. The only thing I know for sure right now is I will not be voting for the PC party like I have in the past, for one reason and one reason only: Andrew Scheer. The thought of having a Trump 2.0 running our country makes my skin crawl.

And if voting Liberal is the only way to keep Scheer from taking the top job, then that's what I will end up doing... even if that means keeping Trudeau at the helm (which I'm no big fan of, although I do agree with some of his policies) for the time being.
So let me get this straight... despite the fact that you said you wanted the election to "stick to fighting over things like policies, solutions..." (And hence your lack of concern over Trudeau's "Blackface"), you are dismissing voting conservative not because of any particular policies they may have (and I admit, there are several I don't like), but because Sheer "Makes your skin crawl".

Hey, I totally understand... I mean, some might consider it hypocritical to want to stick to the issues when it comes to the Liberals but take a different standard when talking about the conservatives, but I certainly don't.

As for Scheer being "Trump 2.0".... its one of those "Easy to apply" labels without really providing justification.

Trump: Wealthy upbringing, Multiple failed businesses in his background, criminal actions in his background, lack of detailed policies

Scheer: Relatively humble background, no criminal background, has spelled out many policies in detail

The most negative thing to say about Scheer is his past pushing for social conservative policies (e.g. anti-gay, anti-abortion), but the stated policy of the conservatives (both under Scheer and Harper) was that both were settled issues and that there were no plans to re-open either issue.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:15 AM   #94
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
There's a point at which something can be a symptom of actual oppression. Dressing up at a party isn't it.
You can see something as 'bad' even if you don't see any outward signs of oppression.

The Liberals have shown no signs of 'oppressing' minorities since elected. But there are multiple reasons to think the 'blackface' issue is troubling... it is part of a pattern of behavior that shows a lack of thought on behalf of Trudeau, it removes a certain amount of moral authority the party leader might have (any complaints that he may make about bigotry will now end up with a "So you wore blackface!" response) and it tarnishes our reputation with politicians in other countries.

Now, is that serious enough to not vote for him? That's a personal decision. In my view, it would certainly not be enough of a problem to reject him.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:31 AM   #95
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
So it looks like the Blackface incident has affected the Liberals in the polls:

From: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1W70ID
Before the blackface scandal, public opinion surveys strongly suggested Trudeau’s Liberals would beat the opposition Conservatives... The polls have now shifted and the Liberals are looking particularly vulnerable in Ontario, said pollster Frank Graves of EKOS Research...Conservatives would now win 35.5% of the national vote and the Liberals 32.9%, a Nanos Research poll released on Sunday said.

In slightly more recent polling information:

From: https://election.ctvnews.ca/race-tig...nces-1.4605683
After a weekend of movement among the top two parties it’s once again a tight race for the lead in national ballot support, according to the daily tracking numbers from Nanos Research. “The Conservatives opened up about a five-point lead at the height of the controversy” over Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau’s racist images, Nik Nanos said...In the latest national tracking numbers, the Conservatives came in at 34.3 per cent with the Liberals trailing behind at 33.1. The NDP came in at 12.8, the Greens at 10.6, the Bloc Quebecois at 5.8 and the People’s Party of Canada at 2.9.

So, mixed news for the Liberals... the good news is while the Conservatives took a lead following Trudeau's blackface reveal, that lead seems to be diminishing slightly. The bad news is that the Bloc seems to be increasing support in Quebec, which might eat away at the Liberal's base of support.

ETA: it should be noted that the changes may fall within statistical noise, so we'll need a few more polls to determine if this is a trend or not.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 23rd September 2019 at 08:33 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:38 AM   #96
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So it looks like the Blackface incident has affected the Liberals in the polls:

From: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1W70ID
Before the blackface scandal, public opinion surveys strongly suggested Trudeau’s Liberals would beat the opposition Conservatives... The polls have now shifted and the Liberals are looking particularly vulnerable in Ontario, said pollster Frank Graves of EKOS Research...Conservatives would now win 35.5% of the national vote and the Liberals 32.9%, a Nanos Research poll released on Sunday said.

In slightly more recent polling information:

From: https://election.ctvnews.ca/race-tig...nces-1.4605683
After a weekend of movement among the top two parties it’s once again a tight race for the lead in national ballot support, according to the daily tracking numbers from Nanos Research. “The Conservatives opened up about a five-point lead at the height of the controversy” over Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau’s racist images, Nik Nanos said...In the latest national tracking numbers, the Conservatives came in at 34.3 per cent with the Liberals trailing behind at 33.1. The NDP came in at 12.8, the Greens at 10.6, the Bloc Quebecois at 5.8 and the People’s Party of Canada at 2.9.

So, mixed news for the Liberals... the good news is while the Conservatives took a lead following Trudeau's blackface reveal, that lead seems to be diminishing slightly. The bad news is that the Bloc seems to be increasing support in Quebec, which might eat away at the Liberal's base of support.

ETA: it should be noted that the changes may fall within statistical noise, so we'll need a few more polls to determine if this is a trend or not.
The hilite was my first thought when I read the numbers. It will be interesting to see poll numbers in a week or so.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:02 AM   #97
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
A rather disturbing trend:

From: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b03b5fc88a3620
Hate Graffiti Has Tainted Candidate Election Signs In 3 Ridings This Week Alone
Swastikas were painted on signs in New Brunswick and Quebec ridings.


It appears to affect both Liberal and Conservative campaign signs.

(I'm assuming these were done by people on the alt-right in order to intimidate, rather than someone on the left trying to suggest 'these Candidates are nazis')
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:30 AM   #98
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,636
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
You can see something as 'bad' even if you don't see any outward signs of oppression.

The Liberals have shown no signs of 'oppressing' minorities since elected. But there are multiple reasons to think the 'blackface' issue is troubling... it is part of a pattern of behavior that shows a lack of thought on behalf of Trudeau, it removes a certain amount of moral authority the party leader might have (any complaints that he may make about bigotry will now end up with a "So you wore blackface!" response) and it tarnishes our reputation with politicians in other countries.

Now, is that serious enough to not vote for him? That's a personal decision. In my view, it would certainly not be enough of a problem to reject him.
Very much this. The problem isn't so much that Trudeau appeared once in blackface despite its racist overtones, it's that he did it at least three times. To me that shows a pattern of poor decision making, one that's led him to be slapped by the ethics commissioner twice.

I certainly wasn't a fan of Harper's policies, autocratic style, and science/climate change denial, but he didn't have a history of doing downright silly or tone-deaf stuff like this.

Still, I'm supportive of the policies, agendas, and goals of the Liberal party. When conservatives get into power funding for cultural things and assistance to needy people tends to dry up. Regulations get loosened, which often causes major problems a decade down the line. Progress on social policy comes to a halt.

Where I'm at is Trudeau as a person is an embarrassment, but fortunately not nearly on the scale of Trump or Johnson. I'll vote on the policies and hope Trudeau starts doing thing more prudently, or the party selects a new leader.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:59 AM   #99
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 27,335
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
A rather disturbing trend:

From: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b03b5fc88a3620
Hate Graffiti Has Tainted Candidate Election Signs In 3 Ridings This Week Alone
Swastikas were painted on signs in New Brunswick and Quebec ridings.


It appears to affect both Liberal and Conservative campaign signs.

(I'm assuming these were done by people on the alt-right in order to intimidate, rather than someone on the left trying to suggest 'these Candidates are nazis')

And this is why I'm not overly concerned about Trudeau's scandal, or its ultimate effect on the election. If these things had come to light the last week of the campaign, there might have been an effect, but here we see the real difference. Trudeau's stupid racism was 20 years ago. There's a lot more stupid racism happening right now, and it's not the Liberals pushing it. Every time a nazi idiot draws a swastika on something, it points out this difference.

And being idiots, they can't stop themselves from doing it, either. Not for whole weeks at a time.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 07:48 PM   #100
AnonyMoose
Muse
 
AnonyMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Land of the Frozen Chosen
Posts: 577
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So let me get this straight... despite the fact that you said you wanted the election to "stick to fighting over things like policies, solutions..." (And hence your lack of concern over Trudeau's "Blackface"), you are dismissing voting conservative not because of any particular policies they may have (and I admit, there are several I don't like), but because Sheer "Makes your skin crawl".

Hey, I totally understand... I mean, some might consider it hypocritical to want to stick to the issues when it comes to the Liberals but take a different standard when talking about the conservatives, but I certainly don't.

As for Scheer being "Trump 2.0".... its one of those "Easy to apply" labels without really providing justification.

Trump: Wealthy upbringing, Multiple failed businesses in his background, criminal actions in his background, lack of detailed policies

Scheer: Relatively humble background, no criminal background, has spelled out many policies in detail

The most negative thing to say about Scheer is his past pushing for social conservative policies (e.g. anti-gay, anti-abortion), but the stated policy of the conservatives (both under Scheer and Harper) was that both were settled issues and that there were no plans to re-open either issue.

The highlighted parts are all your own assumptions and you putting words in my mouth. You're attempting to read between my lines and running with those assumptions in an attempt to give your argument some credence.

And I don't care if the PC party claims they would not change direction under Scheer. A party leader can quite easily steer their party in any direction they choose, particularly if that leader becomes Prime Minister.

I will not be voting for a party who's leader is a bible-thumping preacher who's most deepest inner wish (if given the chance) is the possibility to drive the country in a direction I don't agree with.

I'm not willing to take that chance. Period.

Religious ideologies have absolutely no place in Canadian politics. I cannot and will not, in clear conscience, vote for a party that stands the risk of taking our country ten steps backward.

No amount of counterpoints will change my mind on this matter.... especially when those counterpoints come from a place of dishonest discourse (you putting words in my mouth).
__________________
"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." ~ Emo Phillips
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 02:12 AM   #101
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,491
Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post

I will not be voting for a party who's leader is a bible-thumping preacher who's most deepest inner wish (if given the chance) is the possibility to drive the country in a direction I don't agree with.

I'm not willing to take that chance. Period.

Religious ideologies have absolutely no place in Canadian politics. I cannot and will not, in clear conscience, vote for a party that stands the risk of taking our country ten steps backward.

No amount of counterpoints will change my mind on this matter.... especially when those counterpoints come from a place of dishonest discourse (you putting words in my mouth).
So you won't be voting for Elizabeth May either. I fjnd her religious beliefs more troubling because she has stated they will be a big part of deciding her policies including revisiting abortion laws. No thanks.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 08:17 AM   #102
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Quote:
So let me get this straight... despite the fact that you said you wanted the election to "stick to fighting over things like policies, solutions..." (And hence your lack of concern over Trudeau's "Blackface"), you are dismissing voting conservative not because of any particular policies they may have (and I admit, there are several I don't like), but because Sheer "Makes your skin crawl".

Hey, I totally understand... I mean, some might consider it hypocritical to want to stick to the issues when it comes to the Liberals but take a different standard when talking about the conservatives, but I certainly don't.
The highlighted parts are all your own assumptions and you putting words in my mouth. You're attempting to read between my lines and running with those assumptions in an attempt to give your argument some credence.
What are you complaining about?

I said I agreed... I said it wasn't hypocritical to demand people pay attention to policy, etc. when it comes to the Liberals but use other standards when judging the conservatives.
Quote:
And I don't care if the PC party claims they would not change direction under Scheer. A party leader can quite easily steer their party in any direction they choose, particularly if that leader becomes Prime Minister.
Yup... I remember the dark days of Harper... people said the same thing: He's got a "secret social conservative agenda". And what do you know? The first thing he did was annul all gay marriages and force all homosexuals into re-orientation camps!
Quote:
No amount of counterpoints will change my mind on this matter.... especially when those counterpoints come from a place of dishonest discourse (you putting words in my mouth).
If you didn't want to be accused of a double standard, maybe you shouldn't have made a big deal of wanting people to concentrate on "plans, policies, solutions..." and instead said something like "people should worry about plans, policies, solutions... and secret agendas".
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 09:36 AM   #103
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
American politics keeps dominating the news cycle, but there are still occasional bits of news about the Canadian election.

It looks like there's a little bit of nit-picking going on...

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lib...fset-1.5306909
The Conservatives are calling Justin Trudeau a "carbon hypocrite" for flying two planes during the 40-day election campaign, emitting double the carbon emissions of other campaigns.

The Liberals claim that they are purchasing 'carbon offsets' to justify the use of 2 planes. Personally, I am skeptical about the use of such offsets, since they often don't work as expected. Still, I do recognize that, despite the bad optics of using 2 planes, the Liberals do have a stronger plan to combat global warming.

Not to be outdone, the Conservatives the conservatives have their own issues:

From: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b03b475f98e87a
The Globe and Mail reported Thursday that Scheer holds dual citizenship because his father was born in the U.S... The revelation sparked controversy because Scheer’s party criticized two former aspirants for the prime minister’s job — former Liberal leader Stephane Dion and former NDP leader Thomas Mulcair — because they both held dual Canadian-French citizenship.

And it looks like both leading parties have had problems with some of their candidates:

From: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...paign=trending
Trudeau faced multiple questions from reporters for why his party is standing by Liberal candidate Jaime Battiste after the Toronto Sun revealed his history of sexist, homophobic, and racist social media posts.
...
Conservatives urged Trudeau to drop Battiste as a candidate Saturday....The Conservative push comes a day after the party dropped Heather Leung as its candidate in the B.C. riding of Burnaby North–Seymour, following renewed controversy over her past homophobic remarks.


And it does appear that whatever harm had come to Trudeau following the reveal that he was really a black man trapped in a white man's body, the electoral advantage seems to have vanished. Polls show the Liberals are back in first place (or at least in a statistical tie with the conservatives) at 34% to 33.8%, and the chance of forming a majority or minority government currently sits at 69%.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elec...racker/canada/

Strangely enough, there is also a poll that shows only 25% of voters think Trudeau deserves a second term as P.M. (which can be problematic, if it means potential voters become unmotivated... "I prefer the Liberals but don't care enough to go cast my vote because of the hair".

https://torontosun.com/news/national...-a-second-term
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM   #104
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
So, only a few short days before election day.

No big events happening at least not since Trudeau's Blackface controversy.)

Some polling information and projections:

- The current polling average from the CBC has the Conservatives beating the Liberals in national polling by 32%-31%. However, because of voter distribution, the Liberals are currently more likely to win an election. However, the most likely outcome is a minority government

- The Bloc Quebecois seems to be having a resurgence. They are likely looking at at least doubling their number of seats (going from 10 in the last election to between 22 and 49 this election.)

- The NDP seems to be doing a little better than they were earlier in the election. (Their support had dropped since the last election but seems to have return to about the same level.)

- Green party support seems to be dropping, and it looks like the People's Party of Canada is D.O.A.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elec...racker/canada/
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; Yesterday at 08:55 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #105
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 22,894
I wish we could do elections the way you do. Here the campaigns last four years, if not longer.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:55 AM   #106
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I wish we could do elections the way you do. Here the campaigns last four years, if not longer.
Well, campaigns do seem to be getting longer in some ways.

Technically the election doesn't start until the Prime Minister goes to the governor general to say "Lets have a vote, m'kay?". (When that happens various rules start to kick in.)

But, I have started to see election ads outside of the traditional campaign season (which are legal). Mostly its conservative attack ads on Trudeau, although I've seen some 3rd party ads attacking the conservatives too.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:01 AM   #107
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 27,335
So,I was in hospital all this week, so maybe I missed it, but is there a reason why the NDP seems to be moving up in the polls? It looks to me like most of the Liberal losses can be attributed to voters moving to the NDP, particularly since it seems like Conservative support has also declined overall.

And, yes, it's nice to see a nation-wide categorical rejection of the PPC.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #108
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
So,I was in hospital all this week, so maybe I missed it, but is there a reason why the NDP seems to be moving up in the polls? It looks to me like most of the Liberal losses can be attributed to voters moving to the NDP, particularly since it seems like Conservative support has also declined overall.

And, yes, it's nice to see a nation-wide categorical rejection of the PPC.
IMO it is because Mr. Singh is being seen as the most honest and forthright of the leaders. I don't agree with some of his more socialist policies but I do see him that way on a personal level. Because of this I am still undecided where my vote will go on Monday.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #109
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
So,I was in hospital all this week, so maybe I missed it, but is there a reason why the NDP seems to be moving up in the polls? It looks to me like most of the Liberal losses can be attributed to voters moving to the NDP, particularly since it seems like Conservative support has also declined overall.
Probably a combination of a good performance in the recent debates by Jagmeet Singh, his personal appeal (as another poster stated), and fallout from Trudeau's blackface.

It should be noted that while the NDP is doing better now than it was at the start of the campaign, they aren't necessarily doing better than in the last election. I wonder if the previously low NDP polling numbers were a bit of an aberration, perhaps some latent racism "He wears a turbine so he's different", but the election has made people realize he's pretty much the same as everyone.

Oh, and speaking of Singh and racism... looks like two of the PPC candidates have tweeted a racist cartoon featuring Singh, Trudeau and Scheer, but Singh's turbine has a bomb in it.

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rban-1.5307607
A People's Party of Canada candidate in Saskatoon is coming under fire for sharing a cartoon photo on Twitter that depicts NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh wearing a turban with a bomb on it...."I explained this to a few of the people that are calling me a racist now: I didn't realize there was a bomb in Singh's turban," Friesen said Thursday. "If you just look at it, it just looks like a tuque, right?" The cartoon features four major party leaders, with Singh alongside Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer and PPC Leader Maxime Bernier in a grassy field split with a line that demarks "left" and "right."

Here's the thing... its possible for someone to overlook little details like that. But, then the big question is, where exactly would he have gotten such a cartoon? It doesn't seem like the type of thing to come across in the regular mainstream media so he must be getting input from somewhere that's less reputable.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #110
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,098
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
- The current polling average from the CBC has the Conservatives beating the Liberals in national polling by 32%-31%. However, because of voter distribution, the Liberals are currently more likely to win an election.
Normally I'd prefer a liberal government to a conservative one, though I'm yet to decide on my vote based on their platforms and candidates.

Quote:
However, the most likely outcome is a minority government
Good. A little forced compromise is sometimes a good thing.

Quote:
- The Bloc Quebecois seems to be having a resurgence.
Ugh. It's not the 70s anymore, people.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:48 AM   #111
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,098
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Probably a combination of a good performance in the recent debates by Jagmeet Singh, his personal appeal (as another poster stated), and fallout from Trudeau's blackface.

It should be noted that while the NDP is doing better now than it was at the start of the campaign, they aren't necessarily doing better than in the last election. I wonder if the previously low NDP polling numbers were a bit of an aberration, perhaps some latent racism "He wears a turbine so he's different", but the election has made people realize he's pretty much the same as everyone.

Oh, and speaking of Singh and racism... looks like two of the PPC candidates have tweeted a racist cartoon featuring Singh, Trudeau and Scheer, but Singh's turbine has a bomb in it.

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rban-1.5307607
A People's Party of Canada candidate in Saskatoon is coming under fire for sharing a cartoon photo on Twitter that depicts NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh wearing a turban with a bomb on it...."I explained this to a few of the people that are calling me a racist now: I didn't realize there was a bomb in Singh's turban," Friesen said Thursday. "If you just look at it, it just looks like a tuque, right?" The cartoon features four major party leaders, with Singh alongside Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer and PPC Leader Maxime Bernier in a grassy field split with a line that demarks "left" and "right."

Here's the thing... its possible for someone to overlook little details like that. But, then the big question is, where exactly would he have gotten such a cartoon? It doesn't seem like the type of thing to come across in the regular mainstream media so he must be getting input from somewhere that's less reputable.
*Turban.

If he wore a turbine as part of his religious obligations that would be AWESOME.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:57 AM   #112
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
*Turban.

If he wore a turbine as part of his religious obligations that would be AWESOME.
one more way to fight global warming.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #113
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 27,335
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Oh, and speaking of Singh and racism... looks like two of the PPC candidates have tweeted a racist cartoon featuring Singh, Trudeau and Scheer, but Singh's turbine has a bomb in it.

Okay, the racism, I get, but how the **** does he think Scheer is "left"?!?



Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
*Turban.

If he wore a turbine as part of his religious obligations that would be AWESOME.

I was going to go with, "Yeah, no way am I voting for a jet for PM!"

But to address my own question, I heard one of the NDP's new ads while out filling my prescriptions, and it did a pretty good job of making him sound appealing. If I hadn't already voted, it might have swayed me in their direction.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:51 AM   #114
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,098
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I was going to go with, "Yeah, no way am I voting for a jet for PM!"
Dammit. Now I can't help but imagine him flying under his own power.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #115
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Normally I'd prefer a liberal government to a conservative one, though I'm yet to decide on my vote based on their platforms and candidates.
Does that mean you have totally discounted voting for the Leopards Eating People's Faces party?
Quote:
Quote:
However, the most likely outcome is a minority government
Good. A little forced compromise is sometimes a good thing.
Singh has already suggested that if there is a minority government he would be open to forming a coalition with the Liberals.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/z...-jagmeet-singh

I think what would be interesting is if the Bloc gets enough seats to prevent even a Liberal/NDP coalition from taking power, would they court the Bloc to add them to the coalition. (Last time such an alignment was suggested it seemed to result in some backlash.)
Quote:
Quote:
- The Bloc Quebecois seems to be having a resurgence.
Ugh. It's not the 70s anymore, people.
The 70s? Try the 90s... when Quebec came within a couple of percentage points of separating in the referendum.

To me, the problem is so many people think the issue of separation is dead and buried (and polls do show support for separation has dropped since the mid-90s.) But there are still a significant number of Quebec residents with more attachment to their province than their country. And in my opinion it wouldn't take much to throw us into another debate about separation: A charismatic leader, some outrage from English Canada that they can use to whip up support, and you have another close referendum.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:00 PM   #116
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Quote:
Oh, and speaking of Singh and racism... looks like two of the PPC candidates have tweeted a racist cartoon featuring Singh, Trudeau and Scheer, but Singh's turbine has a bomb in it.
*Turban.
D'oh!
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:04 PM   #117
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,098
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Does that mean you have totally discounted voting for the Leopards Eating People's Faces party?
To be serious, I don't consider parties that have no shot at winning.

Quote:
Singh has already suggested that if there is a minority government he would be open to forming a coalition with the Liberals.
Again, good. Cooperation sure beats mindless opposition, and it forces compromise.

Quote:
I think what would be interesting is if the Bloc gets enough seats to prevent even a Liberal/NDP coalition from taking power, would they court the Bloc to add them to the coalition.
That would certainly be interesting but even as a Quebecer I find we've pulled on the sheets quite enough.

Quote:
The 70s? Try the 90s... when Quebec came within a couple of percentage points of separating in the referendum.
No. In the 90s Quebec came within a single percentage point of a popular vote in favour of sovereignty. Whether that would've led to anything is a different matter, but personally I'm much happier with the results we got.

Quote:
To me, the problem is so many people think the issue of separation is dead and buried (and polls do show support for separation has dropped since the mid-90s.) But there are still a significant number of Quebec residents with more attachment to their province than their country.
They're a minority, from what I can see, especially given the new generation and the arrival of immigrants. The situation just isn't what it was pre-Lévesque. There's really no case to be made that separation is a good idea.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #118
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 45,599
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
*Turban.

If he wore a turbine as part of his religious obligations that would be AWESOME.
If he is a Sikh...and the name Singh would indicate he is....then it IS a religious obligation.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:37 PM   #119
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,901
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Quote:
*Turban.

If he wore a turbine as part of his religious obligations that would be AWESOME.
If he is a Sikh...and the name Singh would indicate he is....then it IS a religious obligation.
I think you missed the joke.

I screwed up and used the word 'turbine' instead of 'turban'. So Sikhs have to wear a turban, but I doubt very many actually wear turbines. (Maybe there is some sub-sect of the religion?)
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.