IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th February 2014, 02:19 PM   #2481
Farsight
Banned

Originally Posted by ben m View Post
Nope, looks fine to me. You have quoted a wordy verbal description of the well-tested QED Lagrangian, cited later in the paper, which is the part that makes the testable predictions. If you have a problem with a QED, you have to have a problem with that Lagrangian. Which you don't. Because you don't understand it.
I understand it, you don't. And it's not fine. Now pay attention:

"Virtual electron-positron pairs, can in principle, be polarised by an external electromagnetic field, thus introducing non-linearities into Maxwell’s equations, which break the familiar principle of superposition of electromagnetic waves in vacuum. Photons from multiple, vacuum-polarising sources, can then become coupled on the common point of interaction of the polarised virtual pairs".

It's gamma-gamma pair production remember? But it's saying a photon interacts with a virtual electron-positron pair. It's saying pair production occurs because pair production has already occurred. It's a tautology. It's wrong. A photon does not spend its sad little life magically morphing into an electron-positron pair that magically manage to morph back into a single photon, which nevertheless manages to keep on going at c. QED does not model the photon-photon interaction.

Right, I'm off to bed. You've got until tomorrow to try and save some face.
Farsight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2014, 02:25 PM   #2482
lpetrich
Muse

Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
A photon does not spend its sad little life magically morphing into an electron-positron pair that magically manage to morph back into a single photon, which nevertheless manages to keep on going at c.
But that morphing is what one finds when one calculates the photon's propagator, a function which expresses the strength of creating one at one position and then removing it from another position.

Farsight's main argument here is how absurd it seems, which is not much of an argument.
lpetrich is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2014, 02:35 PM   #2483
ben m

But it's saying a photon interacts with a virtual electron-positron pair.
Yep. About as good as a verbal description gets.

Quote:
It's saying pair production occurs because pair production has already occurred. It's a tautology. It's wrong.
Why didn't you say so before? Anyway, if you want a verbal description: this is quantum mechanics. Whether something "has already occurred" or not is an imprecise statement to begin with, and this formulation is reasonably clear. If you are looking at a Dirac-Equation-centric derivation (leading to Feynman diagrams) it is easiest to translate into words like "pair creation" and "annihilation operator". If you are looking at at Maxwell's-Equation-centric derivation, the exact same mathematical terms are easiest to describe as "polarizability" and "susceptibility". I suppose the latter language encourages you to think of the electron-positron pairs as "already there" in the vacuum (as would have been the case in polarizable solids) whereas the former encourages you to think of them as "created" during the interaction, but ... I mean, why would you try to mine all of this meaning out of a few words when the equation on the next page is very precise about what it means?

Oh, I know: because you're looking for an argument, and you don't know how to argue with an equation, because you don't do math.
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2014, 02:46 PM   #2484
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

It's gamma-gamma pair production remember?
That is a really odd statement, Farsight.
* I search Photon-photon scattering in collisions of laser pulses (PDF) and find no mention of "gamma" let alone "gamma-gamma pair production"
* What you quote is about virtual particles but pair production is usually real particles. The paper uses "pair-creation".
* What you quote is not about a photon "morphing into an electron-positron pair". It is about virtual particle pairs appearing out of the vacuum and then annihilating each other a short time later. This is standard quantum field theory.
* QED does model the photon-photon interaction. The paper is using QED to model the photon-photon interaction!

It is impossible to remember something in a paper that does not exist in that paper .

ETA: Perhaps an explanation from my perspective will help:
* Maxwell's equations say that electromagnetic fields just add up in a vacuum (are linear).
* Virtual electron-positron pairs are always popping in and out of existence in a vacuum.
* An external electromagnetic field should polarize these virtual electron-positron pairs.
* That polarization will add an extra component to the addition of electromagnetic fields thus they will not just add up as in Maxwell's equations.
* Photons are electromagnetic fields !
Thus take a couple of laser beams and let them cross. The EM field of each beam will polarize the virtual particles thus affecting the other beam. There will be a non-linear effect that could be detectable in intense laser beams.

Last edited by Reality Check; 27th February 2014 at 03:05 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2014, 02:57 PM   #2485
ben m

Why is there so much crackpot physics?

Sorry, misposted
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2014, 04:51 PM   #2486
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

For the sake of accuracy, here is a summary of the exchange about protons and electrons are photons in "loops."

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=129

The key being:
Quote:
I will repeat my challenge that there is no experimental or theoretical basis within QFT for the notion that electrons and protons are photons in some kind of "loops."
If you have evidence to the contrary this would be a good time to present it -- and please do include your "pointer."

ξ

Last edited by Perpetual Student; 27th February 2014 at 04:52 PM.
Perpetual Student is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 10:25 AM   #2487
Farsight
Banned

Yep. About as good as a verbal description gets.
It isn't good. It's badly wrong.

Why didn't you say so before? Anyway, if you want a verbal description: this is quantum mechanics. Whether something "has already occurred" or not is an imprecise statement to begin with, and this formulation is reasonably clear. If you are looking at a Dirac-Equation-centric derivation (leading to Feynman diagrams) it is easiest to translate into words like "pair creation" and "annihilation operator". If you are looking at at Maxwell's-Equation-centric derivation, the exact same mathematical terms are easiest to describe as "polarizability" and "susceptibility". I suppose the latter language encourages you to think of the electron-positron pairs as "already there" in the vacuum (as would have been the case in polarizable solids) whereas the former encourages you to think of them as "created" during the interaction, but ... I mean, why would you try to mine all of this meaning out of a few words when the equation on the next page is very precise about what it means? Oh, I know: because you're looking for an argument, and you don't know how to argue with an equation, because you don't do math.
Er, no. We're on the crackpot physics thread, I'm pointing some out, you're pretending you can't see it, and trying to hide behind math. Tsk. Watch and learn...

Originally Posted by Reality Check
That is a really odd statement, Farsight.
* I search Photon-photon scattering in collisions of laser pulses (PDF) and find no mention of "gamma" let alone "gamma-gamma pair production"
* What you quote is about virtual particles but pair production is usually real particles. The paper uses "pair-creation".
* What you quote is not about a photon "morphing into an electron-positron pair". It is about virtual particle pairs appearing out of the vacuum and then annihilating each other a short time later. This is standard quantum field theory.
Virtual particles are virtual. They aren't real particles that appear out of the vacuum and annihilate one another a short time later. See Matt Strassler's article. OK, now take a look at the wiki Two photon physics article. It says "A photon can, within the bounds of the uncertainty principle, fluctuate into a charged fermion–antifermion pair, to either of which the other photon can couple". Now watch my lips: no it can't. A 511keV photon does not hoppety-skip through space magically morphing into a 511keV electron and a 511kev positron, which magically turn back into a single 511keV photon which all the while manages to keep on travelling at the speed of light. And pair production does not occur because pair production occurred. Spontaneously. Like worms from mud. That's crackpot!

* QED does model the photon-photon interaction. The paper is using QED to model the photon-photon interaction!
The paper gave you a photon-electron interaction. So does wiki. See this bit: "From quantum electrodynamics it can be found that photons cannot couple directly to each other, since they carry no charge". Somebody has inserted the next sentence since I've raised this issue. The front portion of a photon is a little like a partial positron, the back is a little like a partial electron. But the main point is that photons interact with photons, and QED doesn't cover it.

...Virtual electron-positron pairs are always popping in and out of existence in a vacuum...
No they aren't. That's pop-science cargo-cult physics.
Farsight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 10:33 AM   #2488
edd
Master Poster

The front portion of a photon is a little like a partial positron, the back is a little like a partial electron. But the main point is that photons interact with photons, and QED doesn't cover it.
Wow. I expect some things from Farsight but I didn't expect anything like that.
Old 28th February 2014, 10:39 AM   #2489
Farsight
Banned

I tell you edd, this is a big issue. And you heard it here first.
Old 28th February 2014, 10:41 AM   #2490
edd
Master Poster

Yeah, all photons having a positive charge at the front and a negative one at the back, and you knowing where QED is wrong - that'd definitely count as big. And I definitely heard it hear first.
Old 28th February 2014, 11:51 AM   #2491
ben m

Virtual particles are virtual. They aren't real particles that appear out of the vacuum and annihilate one another a short time later.
Yes, they're virtual particles that appear out of the vacuum and annihilate one another a short time later.

Quote:
It says "A photon can, within the bounds of the uncertainty principle, fluctuate into a charged fermion–antifermion pair, to either of which the other photon can couple".
Again, this is another reasonably good way to verbally describe the QED Lagrangian. Which has been extensively tested in experiments.

Quote:
Now watch my lips: no it can't. A 511keV photon does not hoppety-skip through space magically morphing into a 511keV electron and a 511kev positron, which magically turn back into a single 511keV photon which all the while manages to keep on travelling at the speed of light.
Of course it doesn't. Again, a better verbal description of the physics is that it morphs into a (virtual) massless electron and a massless positron---in the language of QED the word is "off-shell"---which annihilate and return to being a massless photon. There's nothing wrong with that, and the general effect being used ("the mass in a propagator is subject to quantum-mechanical uncertainty") has been observed directly in experiment.

I'm curious which QED books you've read such that you didn't learn this extremely basic fact about virtual particles.
Old 28th February 2014, 12:03 PM   #2492
ben m

All verbal descriptions of QED are "really wrong" and "pop science".

All mathematical descriptions of QED are "hiding behind math"

All experimental predictions/confirmations of QED are (*&#$!@&@^@@

(Numerical QED predictions and experimental confirmations do not register in this system. It was just swamp gas. Please look into the neuralyzer---ZAP. What were we talking about? Spring training has started, will Jeter's ankle hold up do you think?)
Old 28th February 2014, 02:46 PM   #2493
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Originally Posted by edd View Post
Yeah, all photons having a positive charge at the front and a negative one at the back, and you knowing where QED is wrong - that'd definitely count as big. And I definitely heard it hear first.
Maybe that's the big overdue "pointer" I've been promised.
Farsight, can you produce some experimental evidence and an alternative to the standard QED treatment of the photon to demonstrate this revelation?
Your Nobel prize is being polished as you read this.

ξ
Perpetual Student is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 03:36 PM   #2494
ben m

I love that Farsight's photons violate charge-reversal and time-reversal invariance. It's not "some sort of charge form factor", it's specifically + at the front, - at the back. When did that start, Farsight? Before or after Ben Franklin decided on the arbitrary sign convention? Does a photon emitted by antimatter have the opposite electric dipole?

How large are these charges and how far apart are they? Are they approximately one wavelength apart, for example? Perhaps I can compare your predictions to an experimental result I have right in front of me which is relevant to this sort of hypothesis.
Old 28th February 2014, 03:50 PM   #2495
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

The better question is how does that charge separation occur at all?

I mean they would attract and cancel right away.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 03:52 PM   #2496
edd
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
The better question is how does that charge separation occur at all?

I mean they would attract and cancel right away.
Nah they both have to go at the speed of light remember?
Old 1st March 2014, 09:11 AM   #2497
Farsight
Banned

Originally Posted by edd View Post
They don't have a positive charge at the front and a negative charge at the back. That's not what I said. See two-photon physics and note that it does say this: but half wavelength is a positive charge and the next half wavelength is a negative charge. That's wrong, and I said the front portion of a photon is a little like a partial positron, the back is a little like a partial electron. Draw a positive field variation followed by a negative field variation.
Old 1st March 2014, 09:21 AM   #2498
Farsight
Banned

Yes, they're virtual particles that appear out of the vacuum and annihilate one another a short time later.
It's a popscience myth. It doesn't actually happen. Space is not a seething maelstrom of electrons and positrons popping in an out of existence. A virtual particle is not a real particle. Nor is it a short-lived real particle. As per Matt Strassler's article, it is not a particle at all. Pay attention now:

"The best way to approach this concept, I believe, is to forget you ever saw the word “particle” in the term. A virtual particle is not a particle at all. It refers precisely to a disturbance in a field that is not a particle".

Again, this is another reasonably good way to verbally describe the QED Lagrangian. Which has been extensively tested in experiments.
No it isn't. A 511keV photon does not hoppety-skip through space magically morphing into a 511keV electron and a 511kev positron, which magically turn back into a single 511keV photon which all the while manages to keep on travelling at the speed of light. And pair production does not occur because pair production occurred. That's a tautology. That's crackpot.

Of course it doesn't. Again, a better verbal description of the physics is that it morphs into a (virtual) massless electron and a massless positron---in the language of QED the word is "off-shell"---which annihilate and return to being a massless photon. There's nothing wrong with that, and the general effect being used ("the mass in a propagator is subject to quantum-mechanical uncertainty") has been observed directly in experiment.
There's plenty wrong with that. Virtual particles are not real particles. Electrons are not massless. An electron and a positron cannot annihilate to a single photon. It's a fairy tale, ben.

I'm curious which QED books you've read such that you didn't learn this extremely basic fact about virtual particles.
I "learned this basic fact" years ago. I can't remember where from. But I rejected it as a fairy tale when I learned more physics. You will too.

Originally Posted by ben m
I love that Farsight's photons violate charge-reversal and time-reversal invariance. It's not "some sort of charge form factor", it's specifically + at the front, - at the back. When did that start, Farsight? Before or after Ben Franklin decided on the arbitrary sign convention? Does a photon emitted by antimatter have the opposite electric dipole?
Don't look at me. Look at whoever edited that Wikipedia article.

Originally Posted by ben m
How large are these charges and how far apart are they? Are they approximately one wavelength apart, for example? Perhaps I can compare your predictions to an experimental result I have right in front of me which is relevant to this sort of hypothesis.
See my reply to edd above. I've never said a photon consists of two charged particles. That's would be getting things totally back to front.
Old 1st March 2014, 09:31 AM   #2499
ben m

They don't have a positive charge at the front and a negative charge at the back. That's not what I said. See two-photon physics and note that it does say this: but half wavelength is a positive charge and the next half wavelength is a negative charge. That's wrong,
It IS wrong. It was added by an anonymous user who also added gibberish to the "proton" article.

Quote:
and I said the front portion of a photon is a little like a partial positron, the back is a little like a partial electron. Draw a positive field variation followed by a negative field variation.
And that's wrong too. Please do not add it to Wikipedia. I can "draw a positive field variation followed by a negative field variation". The former is nothing like a positron, in whole or in part, whatever that means. The latter is nothing like a partial electron. The two together are nothing like a photon.
Old 1st March 2014, 11:13 AM   #2500
Farsight
Banned

It IS wrong. It was added by an anonymous user who also added gibberish to the "proton" article.
I'm glad we agree about something.

And that's wrong too. Please do not add it to Wikipedia.
I've never updated Wikipedia, and have no plans to do so.

I can "draw a positive field variation followed by a negative field variation". The former is nothing like a positron, in whole or in part, whatever that means. The latter is nothing like a partial electron. The two together are nothing like a photon.
Sorry ben, but you're wrong about this. Like I said, a 511kev photon doesn't spontaneously morph into an electron and a positron which you label as "off shell" so you can break all the rules of physics. Virtual particles are virtual, they don't pop in and out of existence like magic. But QED can handle photon-photon pair production, for a reason. Yes, the anonymous wiki editor got it wrong, but the "given reason" really is crackpot. Think about it. Think for yourself.

Gotta go.
Old 1st March 2014, 12:23 PM   #2501
ben m

Sorry ben, but you're wrong about this. Like I said, a 511kev photon doesn't spontaneously morph into an electron and a positron which you label as "off shell" so you can break all the rules of physics. Virtual particles are virtual, they don't pop in and out of existence like magic. But QED can handle photon-photon pair production, for a reason. Yes, the anonymous wiki editor got it wrong, but the "given reason" really is crackpot. Think about it. Think for yourself.

Gotta go.
Just like all your other posts. Mainstream physics, as represented by pop-science-article quotes, sounds wrong to you. You can't point to an actual error in the math, calculations, or experiments, you just quote the words and declare that you see them as nonsense. You claim to know a better picture, but rather than laying it out you say "think about it".

Same old same old.
Old 1st March 2014, 12:47 PM   #2502
DeiRenDopa
Master Poster

Same old same old.
Indeed.

What's remarkable is this: after all this time, after thousands of posts, in dozens of forums, Farsight has not convinced even one person of the validity of his models. Nor the validity of his critiques of GR, QED, etc.

Not even one.

And how does Farsight react to this gigantic failure of his to communicate?

If he truly believed he was onto something that no one else in the world had - apparently - understood, you might expect him to try harder, wouldn't you? For example, to learn enough of the relevant mathematics so that he could re-phrase his deep insights in ways that those more familiar with the essentials of GR than he is could more readily grasp. Or write up a key part of his thesis in the form of a scientific paper, and get it published in a peer-reviewed journal. Or ...
DeiRenDopa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 01:30 PM   #2503
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
Farsight's main argument here is how absurd it seems, which is not much of an argument.
Exactly.

I predict a lack of answers to these questions.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 03:37 PM   #2504
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Back to the OP, crackpots invariably discuss physics with words, pictures, diagrams, analogies, etc. -- in other words -- anything but mathematics. How else could they maintain their delusional notions of physics?

ξ
Old 1st March 2014, 03:51 PM   #2505
ben m

Originally Posted by DeiRenDopa View Post
If he truly believed he was onto something that no one else in the world had - apparently - understood, you might expect him to try harder, wouldn't you?
Maybe that gets to the crux of it---the difference between a crackpot and a non-crackpot-with-radical-ideas. Someone has some nifty and (they think) important and new idea. They get excited because they think it's right; they try to explain it to you. You tell them it's wrong.

A scientist responds by doing more science---adding more detail, more and clearer explanations, testing edge cases, etc. etc.. A crackpot responds by blaming the audience and staying in exactly the same place.
Old 1st March 2014, 09:18 PM   #2506
lpetrich
Muse

Originally Posted by Perpetual Student View Post
Back to the OP, crackpots invariably discuss physics with words, pictures, diagrams, analogies, etc. -- in other words -- anything but mathematics. How else could they maintain their delusional notions of physics?
Some of them go as far as claiming that they don't need math for this or that reason. Like how math cannot be a fundamental sort of language for describing physical theories.

Or else they want someone else to work out the math of their theories.
lpetrich is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2014, 05:40 PM   #2507
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

It Virtual particles are virtual.
Yes - virtual particles are virtual

They aren't real particles that appear out of the vacuum and annihilate one another a short time later.
Yes, virtual particles aren't real particles that appear out of the vacuum and annihilate one another a short time later .
ETA: They do have properties like real particles such as charge.

...snipped Wikipedia irrelevance...
Now watch my lips, Farsight :
* What you quote is about virtual particles but pair production is usually real particles, e.g. real electron positron production in the presence of a nucleus. The paper uses "pair-creation".
* The paper is about photon-photon scattering and uses QED to model it:
Photon-photon scattering in collisions of laser pulses (PDF).

ETA: My guess is that you are going on a semantic nitpicking derail. This is the scattering of real photons from real photons caused by the polarization of virtual electron/positron pairs. The real effects would be measured on the real photons. Thus "photon-photon scattering" rather than "photon-photon scattering caused by the polarization of virtual electron/positron pairs"!

The whole point is that photons interact with photons, and
* classical mechanics (Maxwell's equations) says it does not happen.
* QED says it is possible by interacting with virtual particles.

The paper gave you a photon-electron interaction. So does wiki. See this bit: "From quantum electrodynamics it can be found that photons cannot couple directly to each other, since they carry no charge". Somebody has inserted the next sentence since I've raised this issue. The front portion of a photon is a little like a partial positron, the back is a little like a partial electron. But the main point is that photons interact with photons, and QED doesn't cover it.

Virtual electron-positron pairs are always popping in and out of existence in a vacuum. That is basic quantum mechanics, Farsight.
Citing an irrelevant but interesting article (Cargo Cult Science) by Richard Feynman does not change this basic physics !
Citing one of the funders of Quantum Field Theory is especially ignorant since QFT is full of virtual particles!
Quote:
Most theories in standard particle physics are formulated as relativistic quantum field theories, such as QED, QCD, and the Standard Model. QED, the quantum field-theoretic description of the electromagnetic field, approximately reproduces Maxwell's theory of electrodynamics in the low-energy limit, with small non-linear corrections to the Maxwell equations required due to virtual electron–positron pairs.

Last edited by Reality Check; 2nd March 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2014, 06:13 PM   #2508
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

I'm glad we agree about something.
A bigger issue is why did you not recognize that this was nonsense added to that Wikipedia article, Farsight?
It looks obvious to me since I studied QFT (many years ago!):
Quantum electrodynamics never looks at "half-wavelengths" of photons. It is concerned with creation and annihilation operators on whole photons or electrons.
There is the minor fact that photons are treated as elementary particles with no extent (and a really small experimental upper limit to their size).
Also look at the Talk page.
Old 27th March 2014, 07:10 PM   #2509
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

disenchantment with Electric Universe

Crackpottery is not a black hole from which there can be no escape. Here's the last paragraph of a long and thoughtful essay written by a layman who fell in with the Electric Universe folks, but got better:

Originally Posted by Hossein Turner
On the whole, the EU has some serious issues to resolve and questions to answer if it wishes to recover or even build-up its credibility within the global scientific community. For now, it gives me the impression that the majority of EU proponents spend most of their time selectively attacking or promoting pieces of other peoples' work, without doing enough analytical or problem-solving work of their own. It also seems to be a group that attracts the naivety of the layman who may be too easily persuaded by novel and original niche theories with little quantitative meat on the bones of the theory. In reality, astrophysics is a hard science that requires many hours of detailed study and an aptitude for interdisciplinary learning. This apparent (and often counterintuitive) difficulty however, should not put people off in their endeavours to further their understanding of our mysterious and complex universe.

The essay mentions our esteemed Tim Thompson and our departed Michael Mozina.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2014, 07:43 PM   #2510
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

A while since I looked at the EU woo.
Came across something interesting - even a creationist (maybe YEC) can see the problems with EU or at least Donald E. Scott’s book, The Electric Sky: An Evaluation of Plasma Astronomy
Old 28th March 2014, 08:33 AM   #2511
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Crackpottery is not a black hole from which there can be no escape. Here's the last paragraph of a long and thoughtful essay written by a layman who fell in with the Electric Universe folks, but got better:
Interesting read. I liked this part:
Quote:
In a weak attempt to counter-debunk Tom Bridgman's criticisms, TB website administrator Dave Smith insinuated that Hannes Alfven is the final authority on the behaviour of plasmas. Not only that, it seems Dave Smith fails to even understand the quotes that he is presenting from Alfven
Blind reliance on a dated authority figure without understanding what said authority actually said in the first place. Sound familiar to anyone?
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2014, 08:36 AM   #2512
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Blind reliance on a dated authority figure without understanding what said authority actually said in the first place. Sound familiar to anyone?
Not to mention that labelling anything as the "final authority" is pretty much an admission that one has abandoned the basic principles of scienctific endeavor.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2014, 06:25 AM   #2513
catsmate
No longer the 1

Hell yes.
And not just in pseudo-science, it happens in JFK and 911 CTs and elsewhere.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2014, 08:53 AM   #2514
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

Interesting read. I liked this part:
Quote:
In a weak attempt to counter-debunk Tom Bridgman's criticisms, TB website administrator Dave Smith insinuated that Hannes Alfven is the final authority on the behaviour of plasmas. Not only that, it seems Dave Smith fails to even understand the quotes that he is presenting from Alfven
I fixed that for you by restoring the link on "insinuated".

If you follow that link, you'll find Dave Smith, "independent researcher and Managing Editor of the Thunderblog", speaking with authority on a subject he understands quite well:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith
The recent explosion of blogs on the internet now gives a voice to many who would otherwise be 'nobodys'. A superficially impressive website can be built almost overnight and populated with some self-published papers and a few choice quotes, which can then be used in an attempt to gain notoriety or attention whilst attacking the views of others with whom the author, posing as a well-informed skeptic, disagrees.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2014, 02:57 PM   #2515
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

If you follow that link,
you will also find this Dave Smith essentially exposing EU as a religion, not science
Quote:
The EU states that the universe is of unknown age and size and that a big bang event is unnecessary and not supported by empirical evidence.
(my emphasis added)
It ignores that the Big Bang event is supported by empirical evidence and so EU stating the opposite is dogma not science.
He is confirming that "that EU theorists use the same tactics as creationists", e.g.
* start with the assertion that X is correct and thus all evidence that X is not correct is wrong.
* tend to believe in "holy" books (the EU obsession with the works of Anthony L. Peratt and Hannes Alfven while largely ignoring modern textbooks).
* tend to believe in authorities rather than the scientific consensus (Peratt and Alfven again appear a lot).
* tend to ignore actual science, e.g. the fact that plasma physics is a well established part of astronomy. No astronomer or cosmologists ignores plasma - they just know what it is capable of doing.

Dave Smith seems to be even ignorant about what plasma cosmology is !
Alfven's invalid Plasma Cosmology does not have anything to do with the EU "plasma cosmology" which is not even defined except as set of theories (even if mutually exclusive or invalid) that say that there was no Big Bang and have the word plasma in them.

Last edited by Reality Check; 30th March 2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 4th May 2014, 08:20 AM   #2516
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Recent discussions in other threads have caused me to think again about this subject.
Many comments have been made here about the roots of crackpot physics, but I have come to believe the most fundamental problem of all leading to crackpot notions is a lack of mathematical skills. Of course, the crackpot must also be driven by a desire to comprehend nature.
I say this because of recent experiences relating to my own quest to better understand modern physics. Although I have had a superficial understanding of tensors, in order to get a real grasp on some subjects (e.g.: GR), I've had to spend a great deal of time to become "fluent" with tensor calculus. It's a tough subject! It takes a lot of time and effort. Every time I think I've got it, something comes up to confront my grasp of the subject. I've been at it for weeks and I am still battling away.
So, in contrast to my own experiences, I do believe it is the lack of training, patience, ability, pertinacity, inclination, etc. to take the kind of path required to master the math that the crackpot lacks. It's so much easier to just read about physics and come up with home-spun notions than do the hard work of mastering the mathematics. I've come to believe all other factors relating to crackpot physics are secondary.

ξ
Old 4th May 2014, 09:34 AM   #2517
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

Many comments have been made here about the roots of crackpot physics, but I have come to believe the most fundamental problem of all leading to crackpot notions is a lack of mathematical skills.
I'd say that's only the second most fundamental problem.

Most people lack the mathematical skills needed to understand general relativity, quantum mechanics, or modern particle physics. Very few become advocates for crackpot physics.

It's so much easier to just read about physics and come up with home-spun notions than do the hard work of mastering the mathematics. I've come to believe all other factors relating to crackpot physics are secondary.
I disagree. Reading about physics in the popular press is easier than searching out or inventing crackpot physics, and it's much easier to admit you've been wrong when physicists explain your errors than to spend years defending your errors against hundreds of people who know far more math and physics than you do.

To acquire a reputation for crackpot physics, you must convince yourself you understand physics better than the physicists. You must also convince yourself of the irrelevance of mathematics, or must convince yourself you understand mathematics better than the physicists. You must hold to those convictions for years despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

In my opinion, the primary source of crackpot physics is an extraordinary, off-the-charts sense of illusory superiority.
Old 4th May 2014, 10:25 AM   #2518
ben m

I disagree. Reading about physics in the popular press is easier than searching out or inventing crackpot physics, and it's much easier to admit you've been wrong when physicists explain your errors than to spend years defending your errors against hundreds of people who know far more math and physics than you do.
I'd say it's pretty common to read some popular physics, start thinking about it, and come up with some ideas of your own. This frequently leads to the following conversation:

"Oh, you're a physicist. I was just reading about this gravity wave discovery in the newspaper."
"Great! It's very exciting."
"But I was thinking about it and they said gravity waves are plus-shaped, but then they said the polarization is pinwheel-shaped, so it sounds like maybe they actually found a different kind of wave, like a dark-energy wave."
"Good question. Yes, this type of wave DOES make the pinwheel pattern, that's not a mistake, but it'd be hard to explain without some math. Interested?"
"Oh, no, I was just curious. Sounds like people are on top of it."
Old 6th May 2014, 10:38 AM   #2519
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

I'd say that's only the second most fundamental problem.

Most people lack the mathematical skills needed to understand general relativity, quantum mechanics, or modern particle physics. Very few become advocates for crackpot physics.

To acquire a reputation for crackpot physics, you must convince yourself you understand physics better than the physicists. You must also convince yourself of the irrelevance of mathematics, or must convince yourself you understand mathematics better than the physicists. You must hold to those convictions for years despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

In my opinion, the primary source of crackpot physics is an extraordinary, off-the-charts sense of illusory superiority.
You make some good points, and on further reflection, it seems that determining what is THE most fundamental problem might vary from person to person and is probably a useless question (I have a proclivity for useless questions). In any case, it may be that to some degree many --perhaps most -- people suffer from "illusory superiority," but few fall into the realm of crackpot physics. It still seems to me that skill in mathematics is an overlying aspect.

Let me offer this example: Two people, A and B, would like to attain a good understanding od General relativity. Both may have a sense of illusory superiority.
So, they begin by reading some popular books on the subject and then read the Wikipedia article on GR or its equivalent, but the tensor equations are gibberish so they try to interpret the words about the equations and read more discussions of those equations. A, who does have some training in mathematics and is willing to work at it, is not satisfied and decides to undertake a study of differential geometry and tensor calculus. B has little mathematics background and is unwilling to make the effort but just keeps reading more and more literature and creates private interpretations of what he reads.
Both A and B may end up with crackpot notions (since neither is trained in physics), but B is by far the most likely to go astray.
I think we are familiar with a few examples of Mr. B within these threads.

ξ
Old 6th May 2014, 12:49 PM   #2520
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

It still seems to me that skill in mathematics is an overlying aspect.
Instead of 'skill,' how about 'respect?' Crackpots often seem to view the math as merely a trivial elaboration of the 'real' truth. From that perspective, the fact that they don't understand the math is like, say, a racecar driver not knowing what kind of paint is on the car.

Those who lack the skills but respect the math would be more likely to admit that they simply don't understand the physics well enough to dispute it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology