ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chicago incidents , hate crimes , racism incidents

Old 21st April 2012, 11:00 AM   #1
bynmdsue
Graduate Poster

Trayvon Case Gotcha Down? Beat Whitey!

One excuse is as good as another I guess.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...uburb-20120420
Quote:
Maywood, Ill. - Alton L. Hayes III, a west suburban man charged with a hate crime, told police he was so upset about the Trayvon Martin case in Florida that he beat up a white man early Tuesday.

Hayes and a 15-year-old Chicago boy walked up behind the 19-year-old man victim and pinned his arms to his side, police said. Hayes, 18, then picked up a large tree branch, pointed it at the man and said, “Empty your pockets, white boy.”

The two allegedly rifled through the victim’s pockets, then threw him to the ground and punched him “numerous times” in the head and back before running away, police said. Hayes and the boy are black; the victim is white.

After being arrested, Hayes told police he was upset by the Trayvon Martin case and beat the man up because he was white, Cook County State’s Attorney’s office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton said, citing court records.
bynmdsue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Axiom_Blade
Master Poster

A fine troll post. I am sure that you will get many, many replies (at least 50 pages worth), because many JREFers are completely tone-deaf to trolling.

Last edited by Axiom_Blade; 21st April 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Axiom_Blade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Cylinder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axiom_Blade View Post
A fine troll post.
Why is this trolling?
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

A fine troll post. I am sure that you will get many, many replies (at least 50 pages worth), because many JREFers are completely tone-deaf to trolling.
How is it a troll post?
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by Cylinder View Post
Why is this trolling?
Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
How is it a troll post?
It may not be a troll post but the title is certainly sensationalist to rile folks up.

A word to bynmdsue, aggravated assault is the most common type of violent crime in this country. Despite the apparent racial motivation, this is about as unspectacular a case you can find regarding assault or hate crime.
Old 21st April 2012, 01:20 PM   #6
sgtbaker
Philosopher

I think bynmdsue was making fun of the excuse they gave.

Quote:
Alton L. Hayes III, a west suburban man charged with a hate crime, told police he was so upset about the Trayvon Martin case in Florida that he beat up a white man early Tuesday.
sgtbaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Cylinder
Philosopher

Right. The title would be pretty close to trolling without that element. With it, it's a fairly representative thread title.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Axiom_Blade
Master Poster

Why is this trolling?
Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
How is it a troll post?
Thanks; this made me giggle.
Axiom_Blade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Cylinder
Philosopher

Thanks; this made me giggle.
I'm serious. Do you think the title misleading? Do you think the topic not worthy of discussion?
Old 21st April 2012, 01:49 PM   #10
bynmdsue
Graduate Poster

Y'all somehow miss this part?
Quote:
Hayes told police he was upset by the Trayvon Martin case and beat the man up because he was white
That's the reason he gave the police! I didn't go out and pick a robbery at random and assign some bizarre motive to it, it's the criminal genius's own statement of his motivation.
bynmdsue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 01:51 PM   #11
bynmdsue
Graduate Poster

The topic at hand should really be - SHUT UP! Don't tell the cops something stupid that's going to pile more charges on your head. They've got you for robbery, leave it at that!
Old 21st April 2012, 01:53 PM   #12
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

That guy should definitely be punished for hate crime.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Cylinder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bynmdsue View Post
The topic at hand should really be - SHUT UP! Don't tell the cops something stupid that's going to pile more charges on your head. They've got you for robbery, leave it at that!

Yea - that'll show those stupid cops....

Wait...

Oh $#@!
Old 21st April 2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Eh, you can't accuse criminals of being the sharpest knives in the drawers. He's being charged with a hate crime as he should given his own statement regarding his motivations. Not much to discuss beyond his placement on worlds dumbest criminals list.

Last edited by Juniversal; 21st April 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Juniversal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 02:19 PM   #15
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

There was a case of a black gun man who shot up a subway train full of people and tried to blame it on "black rage" to get a reduced sentence. Or maybe he wanted a race war. Whoi can really know.

Maybe this more recent thug thought he could pull the same crap and get away with it.
Old 21st April 2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I like this story on so many levels. They were made about an alleged hate crime, so they committed a random hate crime. And not only that, but it was a robbery. And since this is black on white, this acts as an example to cite for when people say "You wouldn't charge a black person..."
Old 21st April 2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

A fine troll post, Axiom. I am sure that you will get many, many replies (at least 50 pages worth), because many JREFers are completely,... oh nvm.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 05:10 PM   #18
Cainkane1
Suspended

This isn't a troll post its news. In 1992 the same thing happened in Atlanta Ga after the Rodney incident except worse. The victim was beated and trampled on because he was white and the assailants were mad becuase of what had happened on the other side of the country. The man was left with permanent neuro damage and no arrests were ever made.

In a place called underground Atlanta so many whites were assaulted for no reason that white people quit going and it closed down. No arrests were made there either.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 10:23 PM   #19
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
This isn't a troll post its news. In 1992 the same thing happened in Atlanta Ga after the Rodney incident except worse. The victim was beated and trampled on because he was white and the assailants were mad becuase of what had happened on the other side of the country. The man was left with permanent neuro damage and no arrests were ever made.

In a place called underground Atlanta so many whites were assaulted for no reason that white people quit going and it closed down. No arrests were made there either.
That's unfortunate (though I quit going there after much of the counterculture dropped further out and underground comics.etc. pretty much walked). It was a fun place at the time!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 11:11 PM   #20
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Kind of like the white guy that murdered a Sikh after 9/11 because the murderer blamed "Towel Heads" for the attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_...ir_Singh_Sodhi
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 11:29 PM   #21
epepke
Philosopher

Piedmont was impassable after the Rodney King thing.

Atlanta is depressingly racist. This is probably why I'm moving there in a couple of weeks to try to make a baby with a Black girlfriend. Anything for a weird life.

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:04 AM   #22
AlBell
Philosopher

Where were Bernard Goetz and G Zimmerman when you need them?
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:07 AM   #23
sgtbaker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Kind of like the white guy that murdered a Sikh after 9/11 because the murderer blamed "Towel Heads" for the attack.

I would say very much like that. No race is immuned to that kind of targeting. It's sad but something I never noticed until I read it in a book; now it seems to ring so true to me. Every group is defined by their worst members. Hopefully, the majority of us can rise above it. Two black guys targeting a white guy and harming him because of a completely unrelated event does not define the state of mind of all black people; the same way a white guy murdering a Sikh because of Islamaphobia does not define the state of mind of all white people.
sgtbaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:31 AM   #24
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sgtbaker View Post
I would say very much like that. No race is immuned to that kind of targeting. It's sad but something I never noticed until I read it in a book; now it seems to ring so true to me. Every group is defined by their worst members. Hopefully, the majority of us can rise above it. Two black guys targeting a white guy and harming him because of a completely unrelated event does not define the state of mind of all black people; the same way a white guy murdering a Sikh because of Islamaphobia does not define the state of mind of all white people.
Exactly.

But individuals continue to use the worst case behaviors of individuals to define groups.

It's a touchstone amongst conservatives that (fill in the blank) are lazy, criminally inclined, hostile to any conservative thought, and are immune from prosecution to boot.

At the same time, there are liberals who will assert with a straight face that (fill in the blank) are greedy, violent, selfish, hostile to any liberal thought, and since they control everything, are immune from prosecution.

I find myself in hot water when I tell people that Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore are two sides of the same coin.

Having said that, there are differences in how white on black racist motivated crimes are discussed and portrayed in the media and how black on white racist motivated crimes are reported - one is quite rightly condemmed where the other is glossed over or ignored.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:43 PM   #25
AlBell
Philosopher

[quote=BStrong;8222072]Exactly.

But individuals continue to use the worst case behaviors of individuals to define groups.

It's a touchstone amongst conservatives that (fill in the blank) are lazy, criminally inclined, hostile to any conservative thought, and 1) are immune from prosecution to boot.

Quote:
I find myself in hot water when I tell people that Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore are two sides of the same coin.
Liberals don't like unpleasant facts.

Quote:
Having said that, there are differences in how white on black racist motivated crimes are discussed and portrayed in the media and how black on white racist motivated crimes are reported - one is quite rightly condemmed where the other is glossed over or ignored.
Too much Black on white to be newsworthy.

Re 1): No, just that too many too often use jail/prison time to become more violent and sociopathic felons.
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:14 PM   #26
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That guy should definitely be punished for hate crime.
And he is. So, I guess the system worked in this case.

He probably would have been better off if he had just said he wanted to rob the man, but that doesn't explain why they beat him up even after they took his wallet.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:47 AM   #27
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
Liberals don't like unpleasant facts.
Whereas conservatives relish them. Bathe in them daily.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:48 AM   #28
SezMe
post-pre-born

OT: That's sad. I really enjoyed it when I was there. Is it still closed? If so, any possibility of a resurrection? Although that word is probably not the best to use for an underground facility.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 01:01 AM   #29
epepke
Philosopher

I refer to Noam Limbaugh and Rush Chomsky and similarly get into trouble. I have a hard time telling them apart. One is fat and a linguist, and the other is skinny and old. Or is it the other way around? Which one plays golf at MIT?

At least Canadian Bacon is funny and somewhat redeems Moore.

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 01:03 AM   #30
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Wait, I want to know what straw reaction I was supposed to give?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:30 AM   #31
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Yes,

That one was extra noteworthy as the victim was from a different country, religion and ethnicity than the perpetrator was biased against.

Real genius, there.
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:07 AM   #32
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by sgtbaker View Post
So true. No doubt much of it can be attributed to in-group out-group bias, though it does seem whites have the benefit of what I call multi-tiered stereotypes (i.e. uncouth poor, wholesome middleclass, and snooty uperclass) while other groups can be viewed more monolithically by their unsavory members. Just an observation.

Exactly.

It's a touchstone amongst conservatives that (fill in the blank) are lazy, criminally inclined, hostile to any conservative thought, and are immune from prosecution to boot.

At the same time, there are liberals who will assert with a straight face that (fill in the blank) are greedy, violent, selfish, hostile to any liberal thought, and since they control everything, are immune from prosecution.

Both may participate in partisan hackery but I assure you Rush Limbaugh takes the cake when it comes to obnoxious, acid spewing vitriol.

Last edited by Juniversal; 23rd April 2012 at 03:10 AM.
Juniversal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:36 AM   #33
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Derail - Correction

This isn't a troll post its news.
Maybe the OP... but not the below....

Quote:
Why are you passing off easily refuted urban legend for fact? Underground is not closed and did not close down after the post-King-verdict riots (which afflicted serious damages and losses). The place has been a white elephant for thirty-five years. It only had a five or six year run when it was profitable and successful. But it's still there and arguably while there were obviously damages due to the riots, it wasn't making money before that and continued to not make money after. Unfortunately the merchants and tenants in the complex seem to be relying too much on Atlanta gov't largesse. There has to be a way to make an area that attracts over five million visitors a year into a success. Either the city/developers are charging too much for the real estate or they've just got a whole bunch of retailers who are clueless.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 23rd April 2012 at 04:55 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 06:13 AM   #34
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
Aggravated assault is the most common type of violent crime in this country.
Perhaps you are using some unduly restrictive definition of "violent crime", but in my experience simple assault (i.e. assault without a deadly weapon or serious bodily injury) is much more common than aggravated assault.
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:36 AM   #35
epepke
Philosopher

Yeah. It's a little known fact that there were four similarly motivated revenge killings by Christians of various brownish people in the US since the day after 9/11, and one was of an actual Muslim. Plus, of course, a Sikh, a Copt, and a non-Copt Egyptian Christian.

Also, of course, a minimum of 35 similarly or complementarily motivated revenge killings by Muslims during the same period of time.

-DavidByron
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:41 AM   #36
epepke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
So true. No doubt much of it can be attributed to in-group out-group bias, though it does seem whites have the benefit of what I call multi-tiered stereotypes (i.e. uncouth poor, wholesome middleclass, and snooty uperclass) while other groups can be viewed more monolithically by their unsavory members. Just an observation.
Comes from being so numerous, I guess. We have to specialize.

I'm really disappointed about the paucity of good names for white people. White trash? Cracker? Honkey? Gray? Ofay? These are pretty laughable. At least Jews have some good ones.

-DavidByron
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:45 AM   #37
Cylinder
Philosopher

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
Till I get to the bottom and I see you again.
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:33 AM   #38
bynmdsue
Graduate Poster

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
Till I get to the bottom and I see you again.
Ah, the Race War's theme music.
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:37 AM   #39
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Deleted.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.

Last edited by Polaris; 23rd April 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Adds nothing.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:19 PM   #40
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by TsarBomba View Post
Perhaps you are using some unduly restrictive definition of "violent crime", but in my experience simple assault (i.e. assault without a deadly weapon or serious bodily injury) is much more common than aggravated assault.
You're right. I was using assault as defined by the FBI statistics and aggravated assault is the only assault category they use in their stats.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events