ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd June 2015, 02:39 AM   #1
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Brain bleach is real!

Borrowed from Skeptic.com:
Originally Posted by Gord
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/miracle-mineral-solution-promoter-convicted-of-selling-bleach-as-a-miracle-cure-052915.html

Quote:
...Evidence at trial showed that Smith operated a business called “Project GreenLife” (PGL) from 2007 to 2011. PGL sold a product called “Miracle Mineral Supplement,” or MMS, over the Internet. MMS is a mixture of sodium chlorite and water.

Sodium chlorite is an industrial chemical used as a pesticide and for hydraulic fracking and wastewater treatment. Sodium chlorite cannot be sold for human consumption and suppliers of the chemical include a warning sheet stating that it can cause potentially fatal side effects if swallowed....

...The government presented evidence that Smith instructed consumers to combine MMS with citric acid to create chlorine dioxide, add water and drink the resulting mixture to cure numerous illnesses. Chlorine dioxide is a potent agent used to bleach textiles, among other industrial applications. It is a severe respiratory and eye irritant that can cause nausea, diarrhea and dehydration.

According to the instructions that Smith provided, diarrhea and vomiting were all signs that the miracle cure was working. The instructions also stated that despite a risk of possible brain damage, the product might still be appropriate for pregnant women or infants who were seriously ill.

According to the evidence presented at trial, Smith created phony “water purification” and “wastewater treatment” businesses in order to obtain sodium chlorite and ship his MMS without being detected by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The government also presented evidence that Smith hid evidence from FDA inspectors and destroyed evidence while law enforcement agents were executing search warrants on his residence and business.
He sold sodium chlorite, which he called "MMS" ("Miracle Mineral Supplement"), told people to mix it with citric acid to create chlorine dioxide, dilute it with water, and drink it.

Chlorine dioxide is a class of bleach: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorin...nd_supplements

Quote:
Safety issues in water and supplements

Chlorine dioxide is toxic, hence limits on exposure to it are needed to ensure its safe use. The United States Environmental Protection Agency has set a maximum level of 0.8 mg/L for chlorine dioxide in drinking water. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), an agency of the United States Department of Labor, has set an 8-hour permissible exposure limit of 0.1 ppm in air (0.3 mg/m3) for people working with chlorine dioxide.

On July 30, 2010 and again on October 1, 2010, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned against the use of the product "Miracle Mineral Supplement", or "MMS", which when made up according to instructions produces chlorine dioxide. MMS has been marketed as a treatment for a variety of conditions, including HIV, cancer, autism, and acne. The FDA warnings informed consumers that MMS can cause serious harm to health and stated that it has received numerous reports of nausea, diarrhea, severe vomiting, and life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration.
Bleeeeeeach.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...s_dangers.html

Quote:
Serious Harm Tied To Drinking Miracle Mineral Solution
Product contains industrial strength bleach, FDA says
08/02/2010

The product instructs consumers to mix the 28 percent sodium chlorite solution with an acid such as citrus juice. This mixture produces chlorine dioxide, a potent bleach used for stripping textiles and industrial water treatment. High oral doses of this bleach, such as those recommended in the labeling, can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and symptoms of severe dehydration.

MMS claims to treat multiple unrelated diseases, including HIV, hepatitis, the H1N1 flu virus, common colds, acne, cancer, and other conditions. The FDA is not aware of any research that MMS is effective in treating any of these conditions. MMS also poses a significant health risk to consumers who may choose to use this product for self-treatment instead of seeking FDA-approved treatments for these conditions.
Bleach.
Humor aside, this is a great example of how people get tricked, cheated, and injured in the online "medicine" game.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2015, 03:23 AM   #2
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

ISTR that we had a thread on this crap a few years ago. Was (?) being peddled to folks with Crohn's and/or UC.

There was a young guy (~13?) who took the bastards to task online and got some MSM coverage about it as well. A real hard charger, wasn't he briefly a JREF poster?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:22 AM   #3
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
ISTR that we had a thread on this crap a few years ago. Was (?) being peddled to folks with Crohn's and/or UC.

There was a young guy (~13?) who took the bastards to task online and got some MSM coverage about it as well. A real hard charger, wasn't he briefly a JREF poster?
Rhys Morgan, who got an award from the JREF, as well as other places, IIRC, for his campaign.

He's still active, mainly on Twitter.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:39 AM   #4
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Rhys Morgan, who got an award from the JREF, as well as other places, IIRC, for his campaign.

He's still active, mainly on Twitter.
Thanks... many's the time I'm doubtful of two memory neurons to rub together.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:44 AM   #5
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks... many's the time I'm doubtful of two memory neurons to rub together.
Have you considered Chlorine Dioxide?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2015, 01:53 PM   #6
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla Sama View Post
Borrowed from Skeptic.com:
Humor aside, this is a great example of how people get tricked, cheated, and injured in the online "medicine" game.
It's worse than that. An individual by the name of Kerri Rivera has been actively promoting the use of "MMS" bleach solutions via enema as an autism "cure". I'm on a "Stop Kerri Rivera" group; and the stories arising from this extreme quackery are horrifying. These children are being systematically tortured by their idiot parents. The pro-MMS groups even promulgate tips on how to avoid detection and prosecution.

This is what happens when you discard science and critical thinking. It is an unthinkable monstrosity.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.

Last edited by luchog; 2nd June 2015 at 01:55 PM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Have you considered Chlorine Dioxide?
I don't know if that would "help", in the traditional sense... but I suspect it would stop me worrying about my dodgy memory.

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
It's worse than that. An individual by the name of Kerri Rivera has been actively promoting the use of "MMS" bleach solutions via enema as an autism "cure". I'm on a "Stop Kerri Rivera" group; and the stories arising from this extreme quackery are horrifying. These children are being systematically tortured by their idiot parents. The pro-MMS groups even promulgate tips on how to avoid detection and prosecution.

This is what happens when you discard science and critical thinking. It is an unthinkable monstrosity.
And right there is something I wish I could forget.

One real disadvantage of global communications is the result that far more people get exposed to these things than would otherwise. And understandably... desperation takes over from there.

As a tangent... my late BIL, with liver cancer, had his adult granddaughter on the advice of an allopath, encourage him to use Black Salve. I talked him out of it. If one has a strong stomach and isn't sitting down to eat, one might have a look at the Google images.

Old 4th June 2015, 09:39 AM   #8
CORed
Philosopher

I don't know if that would "help", in the traditional sense... but I suspect it would stop me worrying about my dodgy memory.

And right there is something I wish I could forget.

One real disadvantage of global communications is the result that far more people get exposed to these things than would otherwise. And understandably... desperation takes over from there.

As a tangent... my late BIL, with liver cancer, had his adult granddaughter on the advice of an allopath, encourage him to use Black Salve. I talked him out of it. If one has a strong stomach and isn't sitting down to eat, one might have a look at the Google images.
Black salve for liver cancer? Such things can be used for skin cancer, and sometimes even work, but generally with a lot more damage than a surgical excision, but I can't begin to imagine how anybody would think it would be of any use in treating liver cancer.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 04:21 AM   #9
catsmate
No longer the 1

Bump.
Miracle Mineral Solution is back. Doug Nash's wife Sylvia died in 2009 after consuming some MMS that they'd purchased in the Vanuatu Islands, where it was being hawked as malaria preventative. After consuming the liquid (and saying "Oh my God, that's awful") Sylvia became sick. She died before help could arrive.
A post mortem showed she'd ingested sodium chlorite, i.e. bleach

After an investigation the concoction was traced to a firm called Project GreenLife; 2015, it's operator, Louis Daniel Smith, was convicted and sentenced to four years in prison for hawking the product as a cure for a variety of maladies.
Now an institution calling itself the Genesis II Church of Health and Healing is pushing this dangerous (and in the USA mostly unregulated) supplement again. The "church" is run by one Jim Humble, who claims to be from another galaxy but is making a lot of money from his dangerous fraud. Seminars about MMS cost US$500 a pop and it's claimed to cure HIV, malaria, hepatitis viruses, common colds, autism, acne, cancer and pretty much everything else imaginable.

There was a recent spate of case in Ireland that led to a NI physician been struck-of the Medical Register and some recent court cases.

WashPo.
ABC.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 06:03 AM   #10
Jrrarglblarg

The only possible positive health effect to drinking bleach would be killing off your entire gut microbiome. Which would only be "good" if messed up gut biota population was actually the causative factor in a health issue. Recent studies suggest this could be a thing for some people, but randoms drinking unregulated concentrations of laundry bleach would not rank very high on my list of possible strategies to approach the question.

I read about this guy in the news the other day amazed. The only place I'd ever heard of MMS was Icke so I figured is was further fringe than this. I hope Humble does time.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 07:05 AM   #11
luchog

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
After an investigation the concoction was traced to a firm called Project GreenLife; 2015, it's operator, Louis Daniel Smith, was convicted and sentenced to four years in prison for hawking the product as a cure for a variety of maladies.

Nice to see at least a few of these monsters are being caught and prosecuted.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 08:16 AM   #12
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I don't get it. If you're going to defraud people and sell a "cure" which doesn't actually cure anything, aren't you better off selling something that's not toxic? Something which is legal for human consumption?

Hell, get pretty labels, and you can sell people water for huge amounts of money just by calling it "homeopathy". Why would you sell them bleach instead?
Old 28th October 2016, 09:05 AM   #13
luchog

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Hell, get pretty labels, and you can sell people water for huge amounts of money just by calling it "homeopathy". Why would you sell them bleach instead?

Because the results are more physically and visually impressive; and it's easier to convince the marks that it's "working".

Read up on the "MMS Autism Cure" stuff, and it's absolutely sickening. Psychos like Kerri Rivera have convinced people that autism is caused by parasites, and that using 28% sodium chlorite solution, aka "Miracle Mineral Solution", as an enema will kill the parasites and cure the disorder. These recommendations typically include the addition of dilute food-grade acid such as acetic or citric acid; which converts the sodium chlorite into chlorine dioxide, which is even more toxic, and caustic on top of that.

When used in this way, the solution will cause tissue death and sloughing of the lining of the colon. When the parents of these unfortunate children see the results of the enema, they see this tissue, and thanks to the execrable lies of Kerri Rivera and her supporters, are convinced that it is from parasitic worms killed by the "MMS"; and therefore believe that it is "working". They have concrete visual "proof", after all. Worse, the victims of the "treatment" also exhibit other symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, and intense gastrointestinal pain. To ignorant and deluded parents, that is more "proof" that the toxic chlorine solution is "fighting the parasites"; they believe the symptoms are caused by the "parasitic worms" dying or "fighting back".

What's really disturbing is the number of parents that join up on these MMS support groups frantic that they've been seeing all these "parasitic worms" killed, and their children are not showing improvements to their conditions. So they respond by increasing the strength or frequency of the dosage, further torturing their children.

ETA: Just heard about this:
Wacky Church Under Fire Over 'Miracle Cure' for Autism

Apparently, tonight's 20/20 is going to have a segment on it.

Last edited by luchog; 28th October 2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:17 AM   #14
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Because the results are more physically and visually impressive; and it's easier to convince the marks that it's "working".
Which may get you a few more marks briefly - but then lands you in gaol. Whereas selling water is even endorsed by some reputable medical institutions. My doctor once tried to prescribe me a homeopathic remedy (I think he intended to give me a placebo) until I told him that I was well aware what homeopathy was and that I knew it was bollocks.

It's a career for life, rather than a career that will get you life if someone over does it and actually kills themself or someone else,
Old 28th October 2016, 11:28 AM   #15
luchog

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Which may get you a few more marks briefly - but then lands you in gaol. Whereas selling water is even endorsed by some reputable medical institutions. My doctor once tried to prescribe me a homeopathic remedy (I think he intended to give me a placebo) until I told him that I was well aware what homeopathy was and that I knew it was bollocks.

It's a career for life, rather than a career that will get you life if someone over does it and actually kills themself or someone else,

True, but on the other hand, there's a lot more competition from homeopaths, and when you're a homeopath people expect you to actually talk to them and give them personal attention. Scams like this only require you to write a book or blog and set up a website to sell the crap.

And one of the key qualities of sociopathic con artists and mentally ill fanatics is that they don't believe that they will ever be caught or punished, or they don't care. They only want the ego boost available from a legion of followers hailing them as heroes and gods, and many of the fanatical types don't mind becoming martyrs, since that boosts their approval rating (and therefore their sales) amongst their followers.
Old 28th October 2016, 01:43 PM   #16
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

When used in this way, the solution will cause tissue death and sloughing of the lining of the colon. When the parents of these unfortunate children see the results of the enema, they see this tissue, and thanks to the execrable lies of Kerri Rivera and her supporters, are convinced that it is from parasitic worms killed by the "MMS"; and therefore believe that it is "working".
Similarly, I seem to recall a proponent of bloodroot for internal use as a cancer cure, claimed that you could literally see the tumours being flushed out the system.
Old 28th October 2016, 06:27 PM   #17
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

League of Nerds has covered this issue twice, once with a member of the Stop Kerri Rivera group and more recently with a youtuber called Jeff Holliday. The only way this makes sense to me is if the parents are punishing the kids for not being 'perfect'.

League of Nerds 74: Stop Giving Autistic Children Bleach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6nqnF6_Lqc

League of Nerds 144: Miracle Mineral Solution is Bleach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP05LTWd1fk

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 06:48 PM   #18
luchog

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
The only way this makes sense to me is if the parents are punishing the kids for not being 'perfect' 'normal'.

Fixed that for you. But essentially, that's it. Parents will never admit that's the reason, but ultimately, that's what it comes down to. They are more concerned with their children being "normal" than with their children being happy and well-cared-for, desperately so.
Old 28th October 2016, 10:31 PM   #19
FenerFan
Illuminator

I applaud your abhorrence of Kerri Rivera and her ilk. I remember reading something about this several months ago and was shocked. What is really heartbreaking to me is the schedule that Rivera pushes. These poor kids are getting doses of this crap 12 or 16 times a day. I can't imagine a parent subjecting a child to such treatment. Those kids have enough to deal with being autistic, to pile on drinking what amount to poison is horrible to say the least.
Old 7th December 2019, 07:06 PM   #20
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Bump.

This stuff is still being promoted:

Quote:
The “Miracle Mineral Solution” (“MMS”) movement falsely claims a dangerous chlorine dioxide cocktail can cure almost any illness, from autism to infertility. A new addition to the Facebook-fueled movement is IAMtv, a conservative web-based channel fronted by Alan Keyes, former diplomat and adviser to President Ronald Reagan
https://www.thedailybeast.com/alan-k...-and-desperate
Old 9th December 2019, 03:50 PM   #21
mgidm86
Philosopher

So Jussie Smollet has some kind of brain disease and he hired a couple of thugs to pour bleach on him and save his life. Then when that didn't work he concocted the "MAGA Country" story so he wouldn't look so stupid.
Old 9th December 2019, 06:20 PM   #22
luchog

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
I can't imagine a parent subjecting a child to such treatment.

Unfortunately, I can, having grown up in a religious right household.

It's all about fear; specifically, it's about fear of the Other. Autistic children are too "different", they don't fit the vision that the parent had for their child, and they don't fit the image that the parent has developed observing other children. They are not "normal". There is strong evidence that autism and similar developmental disorders the template for the legends of "Changeling" children.

Parents do not want the Other, the "changeling"; they desperately want their child to be "normal". It's the same Otherness conservative/religious parents often experience when they discover that their children are not the "normal" cisgendered heterosexuals that is the only option that their worldview allows them to be, but come out as LGBTQ; and the reactions are very similar.

Into this fear and desperation steps the con artist or alt.med woo. They exploit this worldview by explaining to the parent that their child is "abnormal" not from a congenital disorder, but because they are "infected" by a pathogen or parasite. Lucky for that parent, the con artist or alt.med woo has the "cure". Desperate and fearful parents latch onto this, conveniently supported by other desperate and fearful parents, and begins inflicting anything from mild inconvenience to horrific torture on their children (or hire someone else to do so) in order to effect the ostensible "cure" and turn their children back to "normal".

When the cognitive dissonance caused by the obvious pain and suffering they're inflicting begins to set in, they will almost invariably double-down on their torture, convinced that any price is worth paying to destroy the "disease" that is "afflicting" their child, and "cure" their abnormality. Whether that's bleach enemas, or the psychological and physical torture of "conversion therapy". And again, in the Internet age, they can almost always find a community of like-minded parents who will support their decision to continue torturing their child, despite the clear and obvious lack of success in "curing" their child. These groups come pre-prepared with all sorts of additional woo, and convenient conspiracy-theories to justify any and all attempts to hide their actions out of fear of "oppressive" authorities who are generally unsympathetic, and will label the "treatment" as child abuse, threatening not only their relationship with their child, but will threaten their child's "recovery" from the "disease" that is causing their child's "abnormality".

This is most common with non-verbal and other more severe forms of autism, so the child is not able to explain their experiences, beg their parents to stop, or go to the authorities to explain how they're being abused.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events