IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , biden , Biden administration , Biden controversies , joe biden , Kamala Harris , sucks

Old 24th October 2022, 05:25 PM   #921
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The truth, of course, is that the loan forgiveness program he's embarked on has not been to Congress for a vote.
I thought the loan forgiveness was via Executive Order. Hence no Congressional vote needed.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2022, 05:45 PM   #922
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

President Biden claims he got a student loan forgiveness law passed by Congress.

The truth, of course, is that the loan forgiveness program he's embarked on has not been to Congress for a vote.
Clearly a lying liar like Biden doesn't belong in the office of the Presidency according to Trump and Big Lie supporter Jake Schneider!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2022, 06:25 PM   #923
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

President Biden claims he got a student loan forgiveness law passed by Congress.

Actually it has. But not by this Congress. The Heroes Act gives the administration the power to forgive Student Loans.
Old 26th October 2022, 04:46 AM   #924
mikegriffith1
Critical Thinker

I seriously question Biden's mental capacity after the bizarre incident on September 28 when he asked if deceased Rep. Jackie Walorski was at a White House event. Uh, no, Joe, she died eight weeks earlier, in early August.

At one point Biden asked, “Jackie, are you here? Where’s Jackie?” as he looked out and scanned the audience. Are you kidding me? I can only imagine what Democrats would have said if Trump had displayed such disturbing cognitive decline.

During the early stage of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary, several candidates openly questioned Biden's cognitive status and openly said he was suffering from cognitive decline. But, that didn't stop most Democrats from giving him a huge victory on Super Tuesday. After that, all talk among Democrats about his cognitive decline ceased.

I really wonder to what degree Biden is actually in control and running things.
Old 26th October 2022, 07:10 AM   #925
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Do you question Trump's or DeSantis' mental capacities for all of their bizarre behaviors as well?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2022, 07:15 AM   #926
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

"Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV"

Once again Mikey comes in with old talking points from his right-wing websites. And faceplants.

Didja see Biden calling out all the Republicans who were whining about student loan forgiveness who had taken out forgiven PPP loans themselves? Pretty sharp looking to me.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2022, 07:30 AM   #927
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
I can only imagine what Democrats would have said if Trump had displayed such disturbing cognitive decline.
You don't have to imagine. You could simply inform yourself of how Democrats reacted on numerous occasions when Trump displayed disturbing signs of cognitive decline.

The most common responses have been laughter and shaking of heads. The spoiler contains a few examples.

Covfefe
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.
When young Americans experience the breathtaking beauty of the Grand Canyon, when their eyes widen in amazement as Old Faithful bursts to the sky, when they gaze upon Yo-Se-Mite’s — Yo-Se-Min-Night’s towering sequoias...
I hope they now go and take a look at the oranges, the oranges of the investigation, the beginnings of that investigation.
Speaking of his own father, who was born in the United States: My father is German, was German, born in a very wonderful place in Germany so I have a very great feeling for Germany.
Stuff Trump thinks nobody knew:
in addition to Florida - South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama, will most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated. The National Weather Service corrected Trump's statement within minutes, saying "Alabama will NOT see any impacts from #Dorian." Trump, however, insisted his inclusion of Alabama was correct. Three days later, Trump displayed an altered map of Hurricane Dorian's impact on which someone (presumably Trump) had used a black marker to extend the forecast zone of impact, originally outlined in white, to include parts of Alabama. Republicans openly spoke of what this episode revealed about Trump's mental decline:
Quote:
"He's deteriorating in plain sight," one Republican strategist who's in frequent contact with the White House told Insider on Friday.

Asked why the president was obsessed with Alabama instead of the states that would actually be affected by the storm, the strategist said, "you should ask a psychiatrist about that; I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment."
Donald J. Trump, "PEACEFULLY AND PATRIOTICALLY" responding in writing to The Honorable Bennie G. Thompson, Chairperson of The Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol, with capitalization as in the original:
Dear Chairman Thompson,

THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OF 2020 WAS RIGGED AND STOLEN!

The same group of Radical Left Democrats who utilized their Majority position in Congress to create the fiction of Russia, Russia, Russia, Impeachment Hoax #1, Impeachment Hoax #2, the $48 Million Mueller Report (which ended in No Collusion!), Ukraine, Ukraine, Ukraine, the atrocious and illegal Spying on my Campaign, and so much more, are the people who created this Committee of highly partisan political Hacks and Thugs whose sole function is to destroy the lives of many hard-working American Patriots, whose records in life have been unblemished until this point of attempted ruination.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2022, 07:51 AM   #928
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Actually it has. But not by this Congress. The Heroes Act gives the administration the power to forgive Student Loans.
The Heroes Act was never passed by the Senate. If that's the bill Biden had in mind, then he's still wrong.
Old 26th October 2022, 08:59 AM   #929
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I seriously question Biden's mental capacity after the bizarre incident on September 28 when he asked if deceased Rep. Jackie Walorski was at a White House event. Uh, no, Joe, she died eight weeks earlier, in early August.

At one point Biden asked, “Jackie, are you here? Where’s Jackie?” as he looked out and scanned the audience. Are you kidding me? I can only imagine what Democrats would have said if Trump had displayed such disturbing cognitive decline.

Biden has conducted lengthy televised interviews and responded to questions at press conferences perfectly cogently. I suspect that at an event like that a politician starts to operate on autopilot. In context, he named various co-sponsors of the bill that created the conference they were attending and called them out. If it slipped his mind that that particular sponsor was no longer with us, so what?

Quote:
At the event, the White House’s first hunger conference since 1969, Biden took a moment during his remarks to credit a list of bipartisan elected officials. All of the officials he listed were behind a bill establishing Wednesday’s conference, and the late Indiana Republican Rep. Jackie Walorski was a co-sponsor.

“I want to thank all of you here for including bipartisan elected officials like Rep. (Jim) McGovern, Sen. (Mike) Braun, Sen. (Cory) Booker, Representative – Jackie, are you here? Where’s Jackie? I think she wasn’t going to be here – to help make this a reality,” Biden said.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/28/polit...nce/index.html

And:
https://www.npr.org/2022/09/28/11255...ackie-walorski

Biden has a long history of what have been called "gaffes." But if that's the worst you can say about him, I'd say we're in good hands. Who would you compare him to? Trump? I do think he's too old to run in 2024, and so's Trump. But there's no reason to think Biden isn't in full charge of himself and his administration.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2022, 04:46 PM   #930
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

During the early stage of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary, several candidates openly questioned Biden's cognitive status and openly said he was suffering from cognitive decline. But, that didn't stop most Democrats from giving him a huge victory on Super Tuesday. After that, all talk among Democrats about his cognitive decline ceased.

I really wonder to what degree Biden is actually in control and running things.
Oh, the irony! Or is that supposed to be a self-mocking joke?

Quote:
“You know,” the former president told a crowd in Greenwood, Nebraska, on Sunday, “we’ve endorsed Dr Oz.”

So he has, in Pennsylvania.
Looks like 'stable genius' Trump forgot where he was.

Quote:
Of Ohio, Trump said: “We’ve endorsed – JP, right? JD Mandel, and he’s doing great. They’re all doing good. They’re all doing good. And let’s see what happens.””
Hmm....He was at a rally for JD Vance, not Josh Mandel who was a rival candidate.

Then there's the time Trump said Frederick Douglas, who died in 1895,
Quote:
"is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice.”
Some people work themselves to the grave; others work from it, apparently!

Quote:
"I wrote this out, and it's very close to my heart. Because I was down there, and I watched our police and our firemen down at 7/11 — down at the World Trade Center right after it came down."
Who knew the Twin Towers were a 24 hr. 7/11 convenience store?
He's also lying about being down there right after it happened. Shocked, are ya?

Quote:
At a press conference in April, Trump seriously inflated the amount of testing for coronavirus that was taking place in the United States — where, he told reporters, Americans were getting "one million eight hundred and seventy thousand million tests."
Is that the 'New' Math, we heard so much about?

But the best one ever? When Trump proclaimed of our Continental Army:

Quote:
"Our Army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rocket’s red glare it had nothing but victory. And when dawn came, their star-spangled banner waved defiant."
Not only did we not have airports, the battle at Fort McHenry was during the War of 1812, not the Revolution.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2022, 04:58 PM   #931
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The Heroes Act was never passed by the Senate. If that's the bill Biden had in mind, then he's still wrong.
Heroes Act of 2003
Introduced in the Senate as S. 1793 by Susan Collins (R‑ME) on December 10, 2001
Committee consideration by Health, Education, Labor and Pensions
Passed the United States Senate on December 4, 2001 (by unanimous consent)
Passed the United States House of Representatives on December 20, 2001 (by unanimous consent)
Signed into law by President George W. Bush on January 15, 2002
Old 27th October 2022, 12:08 AM   #932
Susheel
Master Poster

Heroes Act of 2003
Introduced in the Senate as S. 1793 by Susan Collins (R‑ME) on December 10, 2001
Passed the United States House of Representatives on December 20, 2001 (by unanimous consent)
Another seagull post from our intrepid interlocutor, I see. The posts almost seem like drive-bys these days.
Old 28th October 2022, 10:14 PM   #933
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Well... a Far Right conspiracy theorist looks like he decided to try to off Pelosi and ended up assaulting her husband with a hammer. There's much more that can be said there but, meh.

Fox, of course, tried to pass it off as a random crime. I'm sorta tempted to agree - stochastic terrorism certainly does have a "random" factor to it.
Old 29th October 2022, 04:25 AM   #934
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

MAGA Bomber 2.0 - it’s hammer time!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2022, 04:51 AM   #935
Tero
Master Poster

Poor Joe. he got in to depose Trump and do a few things. And he actually did more than Bill Clinton. But he is bound to end up a forgotten Carter in20 years.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2022, 05:49 AM   #936
Tero
Master Poster

Thanks Trump for causing "Biden inflation." https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/10...cuts-editorial

Quote:
Back when the Trump tax cuts were being debated, economists warned the cuts could eventually lead to out-of-control inflation. And, economists said, the cuts would force the government to borrow to deal with emergencies. In 2021, ProPublica reported the national debt rose by almost $7.8 trillion during Trump’s time in office. That didn’t help the government’s ability to borrow. Ouch.

Back in 2017, no one knew the COVID-19 pandemic would strike. But it did, along with a war in Ukraine. More emergencies are inevitable. That’s why it was smart that President Joe Biden in August signed a minimum corporate tax of 15% into law. If that’s repealed, as some Republicans want, it would allow many corporations to return to paying 0%.

Last edited by Tero; 29th October 2022 at 05:50 AM.
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 03:17 PM   #937
Tero
Master Poster

How to improve Biden for 2024? If he runs and Dems don't push someone forward to run.

They have not proposed much of a role for Obama, and he would not be much help calming Trumpsters. He would make a good secretary of state. But...the line of succession.

The line of succession to president includes secretary of state. But Kissinger, a foreigner!..was secretary of state.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Kissinger

Old 2nd November 2022, 03:28 PM   #938
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
How to improve Biden for 2024? If he runs and Dems don't push someone forward to run.

They have not proposed much of a role for Obama, and he would not be much help calming Trumpsters. He would make a good secretary of state. But...the line of succession.

The line of succession to president includes secretary of state. But Kissinger, a foreigner!..was secretary of state.
If it had gotten to his spot in the line of succession it would just skip him and go to the next person on the list. Of course the only plausible way it would have gone that far would've been a nuclear war with the Soviets.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 04:11 PM   #939
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Of course he will, and of course they won't.

What would help him the most depends on how next Tuesday pans out.

If the Democrats lose congress, line up a firm agenda that will get done once they get it back, and hammer that. Do not use words like "encourage," "push," or "try to." It's what they WILL get done, not what they WANT to get done.

If the Democrats keep congress, but in such a way that they're as utterly useless as they have been for the past two years, he needs to start doing actual things via executive order because they're not going to magically appear overnight. Trump damn near broke the nation because he'd just do things without anyone stopping him, surely Biden can contribute to fixing it.

If the Democrats gain in congress, to the point where they actually can do the things they've said they wanted to do, they actually do need to do them. If they still can't get anything done, because whoops Manchin is joined by three other blue dogs in making sure everything stagnates, better vote harder you plebs do you want Trump to win, nothing Biden could possibly do will get him reelected and the country will deserve everything that's coming to it.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:00 PM   #940
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Heroes Act of 2003
Okay, so that's clearly not the legislation Biden was talking about, then.
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:38 PM   #941
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Well at least there’s no way the Republicans could object to a Kenyan in that role!
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2022, 05:49 AM   #942
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

In your opinion, perhaps.

More objective observers, however, are clear on the fact that the HEROES Act of 2003 is the legislation Biden relied upon and was talking about. The waiver authorized by that act was made permanent in 2007. Omitting links and footnotes from the original:
Quote:
During the national emergency declared due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the HEROES Act has been invoked several times. In March 2020, the CARES Act passed by Congress included a pause on federal student loans repayments and interest until September 30, 2020. On August 8, 2020, the Trump administration issued a memorandum instructing the Secretary of Education to pause on student loan payments and interest through December 31, 2020 using the authority granted by the HEROES Act. On December 5, the administration extended the pause through January 31, 2021. During 2021−22, the newly inaugurated Biden administration extended the pause several more times, announcing that a final extension would last through December 31, 2022.

In October 2021, the Biden administration used the HEROES Act to reform a student debt forgiveness program for public workers. In August 2022, the administration used the Act again to announce student debt cancellation of up to $20,000 and several other reforms.
Some people might need to read that last paragraph more than once.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2022, 12:37 PM   #943
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
In your opinion, perhaps.

More objective observers, however, are clear on the fact that the HEROES Act of 2003 is the legislation Biden relied upon and was talking about. The waiver authorized by that act was made permanent in 2007. Omitting links and footnotes from the original:

Some people might need to read that last paragraph more than once.
Reading it on wiki, the relevant part:

It allows waiving of statutory or regulatory requirements related to federal student loans for three categories of individuals: active-duty military or National Guard officials, those who reside or are employed in a declared disaster area, or those who have suffered economic hardship as a result of wars, military operations, or national emergencies

So, with that language its clear that it could be evoked during COVID, since that was a national emergency... I'm not seeing how it can be applied now to the general population. If the loan forgiveness makes it to the SCOTUS I don't think it will survive.

Maybe I'm missing some other part of the law?? But if not the loan forgiveness sure seems like ruling by decree. If I'm against that when Trump is president I also have to be against it when he isn't. And to be absolutely honest, no I really don't agree that people making up to about 2x what I do should get a $20,000 break. And its gonna be tough to convince me that someone making 125k/year suffered a hardship as a result of COVID.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2022, 12:37 PM   #944
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I still like Pete Buttigieg but homophobia would be an obstacle. He's a brilliant man and he handles himself very well. Not easily rattled and he thinks before he speaks. After being Sec. of Transportation, I'd like to see him run for Congress at least.
Old 3rd November 2022, 03:44 PM   #945
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
So, with that language its clear that it could be evoked during COVID, since that was a national emergency... I'm not seeing how it can be applied now to the general population. If the loan forgiveness makes it to the SCOTUS I don't think it will survive.
There's no telling how the SCOTUS might rule. Not these days.

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Maybe I'm missing some other part of the law?? But if not the loan forgiveness sure seems like ruling by decree.
What you're missing, I think, is that the US President is authorized to declare a national emergency. Those declarations, which are authorized by law, certainly resemble a decree. The national emergency declared for COVID remains in effect because of the most recent declaration, on 18 February 2022:
Quote:
On March 13, 2020, by Proclamation 9994, the President declared a national emergency concerning the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. The COVID-19 pandemic continues to cause significant risk to the public health and safety of the Nation. For this reason, the national emergency declared on March 13, 2020, and beginning March 1, 2020, must continue in effect beyond March 1, 2022. Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing the national emergency declared in Proclamation 9994 concerning the COVID-19 pandemic.
Old 6th November 2022, 06:27 PM   #946
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
There's no telling how the SCOTUS might rule. Not these days.

What you're missing, I think, is that the US President is authorized to declare a national emergency. Those declarations, which are authorized by law, certainly resemble a decree. The national emergency declared for COVID remains in effect because of the most recent declaration, on 18 February 2022:
Oh I'm sure the same people who claim that the President can declassify documents by just thinking about it will insist that the President can't declare a national emergency.
Old 6th November 2022, 07:46 PM   #947
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Oh I'm sure the same people who claim that the President can declassify documents by just thinking about it will insist that the President can't declare a national emergency.
Those people probably didn't complain when President Donald Trump declared the national emergency in question.

Biden merely extended the duration of that already-declared national emergency.

According to Wikipedia, 42 of the 79 national emergencies that have been declared under the National Emergencies Act of 1976 are still in effect, most having been extended by subsequent presidents. Trump declared 11 national emergencies, of which 9 remain in effect. Biden has declared 6, all still in effect.
Old 6th November 2022, 08:33 PM   #948
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

The partial student debt forgiveness could have been supported better by an earlier non-emergency law. Biden chose the option that would be easier to knock down.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 09:31 PM   #949
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The confusing thing is that there are actually two different bills called the "HEROES Act". One is the Higher Education Relief Opportunities For Students Act which was passed by congress and signed into law by President Bush in 2003, and another one called the Health and Economic Recovery Omnibus Emergency Solutions Act, which was basically a Covid relief bill proposed in 2020. Eventually congress agreed to a different Covid relief bill called the Health, Economic Assistance, Liability Protection and Schools (HEALS) Act.

Apparently the original act passed in 2003 allowed for student loan relief (byt the Secretary of Education) for "those who have suffered economic hardship as a result of wars, military operations, or national emergencies." I guess you could argue that the pandemic was a national emergency which caused some people to suffer economic hardship.
Old 9th November 2022, 09:37 PM   #950
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I really hope that Biden doesn't run again. He's too old.

Democrats need someone new to be the face of the party.
Old 9th November 2022, 10:25 PM   #951
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I really hope that Biden doesn't run again. He's too old.
Democrats need someone new to be the face of the party.
The problem is, primaries are messy.

Its great to think of Biden stepping aside and someone new, younger, and charismatic will come along to sweep the primaries. (And someone who might win consecutive elections on their own, giving the Democrats 3 straight terms in the white house.) But it could also be a clown-car set of primaries, with nobody standing out right away, and so much infighting that whomever comes out of the primaries will somehow be damaged goods. (And that's assuming they don't pick someone who has some unexpected skeletons in his closet that makes them unelectable.)

Biden is old. And he's got low approval ratings. And even if he runs again and wins, he may be too old to finish his 2nd term. But he is a known quantity, and he has name recognition.

I am not saying Biden should definitely stick around.... I'm just saying there are some significant risks to him stepping down.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 10:45 PM   #952
jnelso99
Graduate Poster

Dems can't wait until the primaries to start pushing someone other than Biden - they need to do that now, get somebody in front of people's faces now, like the Reps are doing with DeSantis.
jnelso99 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 10:53 PM   #953
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Biden is old. And he's got low approval ratings. And even if he runs again and wins, he may be too old to finish his 2nd term. But he is a known quantity, and he has name recognition.
All of that is exactly the same stuff that was also the case in 2020, both when he was running and even before that when he wasn't yet and the media were begging & pleading with him to run.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 11:23 PM   #954
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
Dems can't wait until the primaries to start pushing someone other than Biden - they need to do that now, get somebody in front of people's faces now, like the Reps are doing with DeSantis.
Nope, exactly wrong playbook.
The Right -Wing hate machine needs time to calibrate on a new target, and get their Conspiracies straight.
It would be ideal with Dems could find a replacement internally and get them through in a very smooth and unified Nomination. But the longer Biden stays the presumptive nominee, the longer he distracts from the successor and avoids being labelled a Lame Duck.
Old 11th November 2022, 05:37 PM   #955
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's not. Biden misspoke.

Sadly a Trump appointed Texas judge today ruled that Biden overstepped his authority. The Biden administration immediately appealed.

If Stare Decisis applies the Biden Administration should win the appeal. The HEROES ACT gives the Executive Branch to do this in an emergency. Previous rulings by SCOTUS give the Executive the authority to decide what does or doesn't constitute an emergency.
Old 11th November 2022, 07:02 PM   #956
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Nope, exactly wrong playbook.
The Right -Wing hate machine needs time to calibrate on a new target, and get their Conspiracies straight.
It would be ideal with Dems could find a replacement internally and get them through in a very smooth and unified Nomination. But the longer Biden stays the presumptive nominee, the longer he distracts from the successor and avoids being labelled a Lame Duck.
Agreed, although it's best not a backroom deal. Primaries are important for establishing that candidates will still work for the supporter blocs who might not be directly addressed in the general campaign.

If not Biden, it needs to be an Obama, some super-charismatic literal who coming out of left field that sweeps everyone along with them.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 11th November 2022 at 07:06 PM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2022, 06:23 AM   #957
Tero
Master Poster

Biden has to say he will run, as he is still a perfectly effective president, as these things go nowadays. But when 2024 comes he will make some statement. "Things have changed, and we have saved voting rights etc."

If he runs, I guarantee no person under 30 will bother to vote. So we are better off with any democrat and DeSantis. If it is Trumps vs Biden, Trump will have a very small chance of winning. Not much, but it is there. DeSantis has a much better chance, but Trump will now work two years solid to ruin DeSantis.

Old 12th November 2022, 07:51 AM   #958
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

“Perfectly effective president” is an understatement.

Between his legislative accomplishments and the midterm elections, Biden is one of the most successful first term presidents in modern history. His accomplishments are quite astonishing.

Jokes and handwringing about his age aside, that Joe Biden is good at his job and good at politics cannot be denied.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2022, 08:12 AM   #959
Tero
Master Poster

Also, though not the scale of "but her emails" his phrase MAGA-republicans was perfectly timed for this election. I called them MAGATs all along, but his phrase is more neutral.

Old 26th November 2022, 11:32 PM   #960
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Well, here's what might be a potential disaster in the making.

To borrow from a comment summation -

Quote:
Short Version:

Congress is trying to shove the bipartisan KOSA into the must-pass end of year bill. Long story short, everyone is going to be forced to upload their govt IDs online to access the web and it will censor the internet of anything LGBT and NSFW. KOSA gives every attorney general across the country full authority to go after websites for having “harmful content for minors”. You know, the same “harmful” content like trans people existing or black history being taught in schools. Essentially, people like Texas’s attorney general will use this to go after any website for having anything he personally deems harmful to kids. The Heritage Foundation even came out and said they’ll use this to target trans kids. Say goodbye to resources on abortion, on suicide hotlines for gay people, on sexual health, resources on dealing with abuse and eating disorders, on on anything to the left of Paxton. This is forcing the internet to become Disneyland.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics