IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th November 2022, 08:33 AM   #441
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
I am not exactly disagreeing with you, but the existence of a video recording was not immediately known.
But that's not a case of any facts changing, it is a case of "more facts coming to bear"

And they are all consistent with the previously known facts.
Old 7th November 2022, 10:10 AM   #442
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

agent provocateur

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
But that's not a case of any facts changing, it is a case of "more facts coming to bear"

And they are all consistent with the previously known facts.
In comment #437 I pointed out that some early reporting was incorrect. It is easy to see from the description in WaPo how there could have been a misapprehension about who originally had the hammer. What is less clear is how Miguel Almaguer got the story so wrong. See for example The Wrap. Was his anonymous source merely mistaken or was he or she spreading disinformation? Why didn't Mr. Almaguer detect what the WaPo and the Wrap said were discrepancies between his story versus other information?

A couple of people have focused on my riffing on a quote from Paul Samuelson: "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do?" My implied point was that it is OK by me when people make an inference from erroneous reporting. It is not OK by me when they stick to their original inference after the reporting is later corrected. It is definitely not OK by me when an opinion maker such as Dinesh D'Souza becomes an agent provocateur.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 7th November 2022 at 10:24 AM.
Chris_Halkides is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 02:06 AM   #443
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It looks like a handy way to equate Hillary with Qanon without liability.
BINGO!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 03:07 AM   #444
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump supporters share their ideas about the attack on Paul Pelosi. Fasten your seatbelts; it's crazy ride! And I do mean craaaaaaazeeeeeee.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 04:52 AM   #445
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

DePape in the ring

I like the idea of DePape as a pro wrestler, maybe with a hammer as a prop and Desperado Dave as a ring name. More seriously, the notion that the conflict was staged doesn't work, unless one believes that the medical facility at which Mr. Pelosi was treated was in on the conspiracy.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 8th November 2022 at 06:17 AM.
Chris_Halkides is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 07:18 AM   #446
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I like the idea of DePape as a pro wrestler, maybe with a hammer as a prop and Desperado Dave as a ring name. More seriously, the notion that the conflict was staged doesn't work, unless one believes that the medical facility at which Mr. Pelosi was treated was in on the conspiracy.
Or maybe they were really committed to the role-play... Method actors all the way.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 07:29 AM   #447
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Everyone who claims that there was something sexual about hammers in the Pelosi home invasion has to demonstrate how they think it was sexual -on camera.
Old 8th November 2022, 12:13 PM   #448
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The same medical facility probably provided treatment and even vaccines for Covid-19, proving it's part of the vast global conspiracy.
Old 8th November 2022, 12:17 PM   #449
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump supporters share their ideas about the attack on Paul Pelosi. Fasten your seatbelts; it's crazy ride! And I do mean craaaaaaazeeeeeee.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I could only make it about two minutes into that, just past Lindell.
Old 8th November 2022, 07:44 PM   #450
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I could only make it about two minutes into that, just past Lindell.
Why do so many Trump rally attendees dress as if they're at a 4th of July parade?
Old 9th November 2022, 10:53 AM   #451
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Why do so many Trump rally attendees dress as if they're at a 4th of July parade?
It's to demonstrate their love of an America that does not exist, will not exist, and never has existed. Also, half the population is below median intelligence.
Old 10th November 2022, 05:23 AM   #452
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Indictment has more details, apparently

“In a subsequent search of DePape’s backpack, law enforcement found, among other things, a roll of tape, white rope, one hammer, and one pair of rubber and cloth gloves, and a journal,” the indictment said. Los Angeles Times.. The body of the story does not identify which details are new.
Old 10th November 2022, 11:10 AM   #453
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well gee whiz!

It sure is nice to see that there is at least one Republican in the nation who is not a completely disgusting POS.

In this case, Governor Youngkin apologized for the stupid comments that he made concerning the brutal attack made upon the husband of Nancy Pelosi.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/glenn-you...170412911.html

Glenn Youngkin Apologizes To Nancy Pelosi For Comments On Her Husband's Assault

Virginia Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin privately sent a handwritten note to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) apologizing for treating a violent attack on her husband as a political punchline, a Pelosi spokesperson tells HuffPost.

“The apology has been accepted,” her spokesperson said Tuesday.

“My full intention on my comments was to categorically state that violence and the kind of violence that was perpetrated against Speaker Pelosi’s husband is not just unacceptable, it’s atrocious. And I didn’t do a great job with that,” said the governor. “And so listen, it was a personal note and it was one between me and the speaker, just to reflect those sentiments.”

“Speaker Pelosi’s husband, they had a break-in last night in their house, he was assaulted. There’s no room for violence anywhere, but we’re going to send her back to be with him in California,” Youngkin said as the crowd cheered. “That’s what we’re going to go do.”

“At the end of the day, I really wanted to express the fact that what happened to Speaker Pelosi’s husband was atrocious,” Youngkin told a Punchbowl News reporter on Nov. 1. “And I didn’t do a great job.”

On 15FEB2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2022, 04:57 PM   #454
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Someone’s facing backlash in a Purple state.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2022, 05:11 PM   #455
Carlotta
Muse

Youngkin's hedging his bets. He can't be governor of Virginia again, yet, we have a one term (in a row) limit here. He'll be trying for some other office. Hopefully in some other state!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2022, 07:38 PM   #456
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

reporter suspended

The New York Post reported, "An NBC “Today” show correspondent [Miguel Almaguer] has been suspended as the network conducts an investigation into his now-retracted story about the attack on Paul Pelosi." Previously I wondered how he got the story so wrong.
Old 16th November 2022, 09:02 AM   #457
crescent
Philosopher

The New York Post reported, "An NBC “Today” show correspondent [Miguel Almaguer] has been suspended as the network conducts an investigation into his now-retracted story about the attack on Paul Pelosi." Previously I wondered how he got the story so wrong.
He should be proud, his story will live on in eternity - cited forever and ever by all the CT nutheads who won't accept any correction or retraction of any story that fits their whackadoodle theories.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 10:45 AM   #458
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Correcting right-wing lunacy is just cancel culture!
Old 17th November 2022, 05:55 PM   #459
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Nancy Pelosi's decision not to seek a leadership position

Nancy Pelosi is stepping down. She had previously indicated that this incident would impact her decision.
Old 17th November 2022, 06:54 PM   #460
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Nancy Pelosi is stepping down. She had previously indicated that this incident would impact her decision.
I was going to post yesterday that I wouldn't be surprised if Pelosi resigned or declared she wouldn't run again in 2024 She's 82; she's got to be tired and with her husband now having to recover from the attack, traveling back and forth from DC to San Fran has to be a lot for her. She's been great, a real ground breaker. But she's right: it's time to step away and let the next generation take over.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics