IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Republican Lessons from the 2022 mid-terms
They need to lie more. 9 18.37%
They need to cheat more. 17 34.69%
They need to question democracy more. 8 16.33%
They need to spread more loony conspiracy theories. 10 20.41%
They need to intimidate more voters. 12 24.49%
They need to make it harder to vote. 13 26.53%
They need to spread more fear. 13 26.53%
Only on Planet X would it occur to them to have better candidates. 30 61.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th November 2022, 11:34 AM   #121
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
In the US there are already exceptions--and weird inversions. Such as convicts not being permitted to vote. But crooks can run for office.
Just to pick a nit, because that's what we do around here, I'm a convicted felon and I've voted in the last about 6 elections. Maybe more. It varies depending on state, but I don't think I can run for office. At least not at the federal level.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 12:03 PM   #122
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Kari Lake is not quite done, not yet anyway. The Hill dot com reported this morning:
Quote:
Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake (R) declined to concede the governor race to Democrat Katie Hobbs Thursday, raising concerns about the election process...“Rest assured, I have assembled the best and brightest legal team and we are exploring every avenue to correct the many wrongs that have been done this past week,” Lake said in a video address posted Thursday morning. “I’m doing everything in my power to right these wrongs.” The Hill
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 12:08 PM   #123
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Every election denier got voted out, that dog won't bark no more.
Old 17th November 2022, 12:12 PM   #124
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy
Kari Lake is not quite done, not yet anyway. The Hill dot com reported this morning:
Quote:
Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake (R) declined to concede the governor race to Democrat Katie Hobbs Thursday, raising concerns about the election process...“Rest assured, I have assembled the best and brightest legal team and we are exploring every avenue to correct the many wrongs that have been done this past week,” Lake said in a video address posted Thursday morning. “I’m doing everything in my power to right these wrongs.” The Hill
First, she has to find them. Or invent them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 17th November 2022 at 12:13 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 12:17 PM   #125
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Republicans have announced they are going to start investigating Biden and his family because Republicans are idiots who A) can't read the room and B) still think anyone care's about Hunter Biden's laptop.
Old 17th November 2022, 12:19 PM   #126
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

The Board of Supervisors and the County Recorder who oversee the elections in Maricopa County (where most of the criticism is directed) are all Republicans, with only one exception.

This **** show is just Republicans screaming at other Republicans. Love to see it.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 12:19 PM   #127
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The Republicans have announced they are going to start investigating Biden and his family because Republicans are idiots who A) can't read the room and B) still think anyone care's about Hunter Biden's laptop.
Love, love, love to see it.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 12:42 PM   #128
Axxman300
Philosopher

I've been monitoring right-wing radio since before the election. Here's the rundown:

1. Trump needs to go away.

2. The GOP needs better candidates.

3. Trump has been a disaster for the GOP.

4. Election deniers need to get booted from the GOP, they cost the GOP votes by telling people the elections are rigged, shooting themselves in the feet.

5. If they get Congress back (which they just did) they need to get to work. Investigations into Hunter Biden will screw them in 2024.

6. If Trump runs in 2024 the democrats win.

7. All DeSantis, all the time. He's their best shot at the White House in 2024, and the GOP needs DeSantis-like candidates across the country to regain the Senate.

8. MAGA needs to get flushed.

This will be interesting to watch. Can the GOP do what the DNC can't, and purge the crazies from their ranks?
Old 17th November 2022, 12:43 PM   #129
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'll believe when they stand up to him / reject him when it actually matters. Until then that is all worse than hot air.
Old 17th November 2022, 12:44 PM   #130
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I've been monitoring right-wing radio since before the election. Here's the rundown:

4. Election deniers need to get booted from the GOP, they cost the GOP votes by telling people the elections are rigged, shooting themselves in the feet.

5. If they get Congress back (which they just did) they need to get to work. Investigations into Hunter Biden will screw them in 2024.

7. All DeSantis, all the time. He's their best shot at the White House in 2024, and the GOP needs DeSantis-like candidates across the country to regain the Senate.

This will be interesting to watch. Can the GOP do what the DNC can't, and purge the crazies from their ranks?
It won't be long until they change the tune and are all worshipping Trump again.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 01:01 PM   #131
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

9. Covid killed Republicans at literally twice the rate as it killed Democrats; reality has consequences so tone down reality denial.

The problem with all of these is how deep the rot has gone. The spineless ones are the only ones who will fall in line with changing and a significant amount of the base have become true believers in nonsense over two generations of reality denial.

And they're violent. It's entirely possible that militia factions fighting each other over 'betrayal' is even more likely than another grocery store full of brown people being shot up.

But what do I know. It's also possible the GOP base falls in line with whatever their media tells them again. I've been wrong before by believing the GOP had more principles than they do, even if those principles are deplorable.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 01:08 PM   #132
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Their arguments hang largely on a printing problem that slowed the tabulation of scores of ballots in Maricopa County on Election Day and caused confusion at some polling places. Maricopa County officials, many of them Republicans, have said the issue did not deny anyone the opportunity to vote. New York Times link
Apparently the main avenue of attack Lake plans to use concerns a problem with printers that were not making dark enough markings on the ballots. The ballots could not be read by the scanners and had to be tabulated later, apparently by hand. This affected some, but not all of Maricopa County's polling stations, about 70 of 223 polling places. Voters who experienced problems had to put their ballots in a secure box. In fact, on Election Day Republicans went to court to ask that voting hours be extended. A judge denied the request, ruling there was no evidence any voter had been turned away because of the printer problem. Republicans later dropped the request.

This is the kind of thing that can be (and is) spun into 'evidence' of rigged voting. It doesn't have to be true. In fact, for someone like trump I think it probably seems better that it's NOT true. Means insisting it IS true will sting the libtards all the more!

newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 01:10 PM   #133
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
9. Covid killed Republicans at literally twice the rate as it killed Democrats; reality has consequences so tone down reality denial.
You laugh but for a lot of races they are crunching the numbers and the possibility that the Republicans lost because they literally killed off their own voter base is a non-crazy one.
Old 17th November 2022, 01:13 PM   #134
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You laugh but for a lot of races they are crunching the numbers and the possibility that the Republicans lost because they literally killed off their own voter base is a non-crazy one.
I'm not laughing. It really was a major factor (like a lot of things in close races).

Reality does matter. Perception isn't reality. Policies and messaging that hurt the people who you need to vote for you can still damage you politically even if those people don't realize they're being hurt (or take that hurt as the cost of hurting others they hate).
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 01:15 PM   #135
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well that kind of puts a speedbump in DeSantis's path to next GOP Golden Boy because let me tell you I had to live through it and his ENTIRE campaign was almost literally nothing except bragging about how he kept Florida open during COVID.
Old 17th November 2022, 01:34 PM   #136
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Well, we'll see if they can actually make those changes or if the MAGA crowd keeps on voting in Trump people in the primaries. Hopefully the Dems are aware that in districts where the economy*, crime*, and inflation* were the big concerns, and a relatively sane GoP candidate was running against them, they did poorly. They need to improve on their messaging, and find candidates that their voters are excited about. Or 2024 is going to be another hold your breath election where the Dems have to almost run the table in the swing states.

***I'm making absolutely no assertion that they are actually worse than the republicans on those issues.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 17th November 2022 at 01:48 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 02:05 PM   #137
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Apparently the main avenue of attack Lake plans to use concerns a problem with printers that were not making dark enough markings on the ballots. The ballots could not be read by the scanners and had to be tabulated later, apparently by hand. This affected some, but not all of Maricopa County's polling stations, about 70 of 223 polling places. Voters who experienced problems had to put their ballots in a secure box. In fact, on Election Day Republicans went to court to ask that voting hours be extended. A judge denied the request, ruling there was no evidence any voter had been turned away because of the printer problem. Republicans later dropped the request.
It was definitely a problem at my local polling place, and kinda highlights the issue with having people show up at any polling location around the state; they had to print out custom ballots for each individual voter. If they'd had pre-printed ballots for the particular precinct they could run them through the machine to make sure the ink was dark enough.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 02:18 PM   #138
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It was definitely a problem at my local polling place, and kinda highlights the issue with having people show up at any polling location around the state; they had to print out custom ballots for each individual voter. If they'd had pre-printed ballots for the particular precinct they could run them through the machine to make sure the ink was dark enough.
It worked fine here. I gave the (rather elderly) lady my name. She then cross checked that I could verify my DoB and Address. Then she clicked a button or two on her computer, and a ballot is printed right there.

Not sure why they couldn't have printed out one test ballot to see if it worked the day before.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 03:54 PM   #139
ToddH
Critical Thinker

And wouldn't you know it...that's exactly what they just announced they are gonna do.

Last edited by ToddH; 17th November 2022 at 05:11 PM.
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 05:22 PM   #140
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Most of the suggested things for the RP to learn amount to "get better at suppressing your own voter base and forcing what they don't want on them, and then count on just being the closest to what they want that's available". They could learn that from the DP.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 07:23 PM   #141
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
And wouldn't you know it...that's exactly what they just announced they are gonna do.
Let them. If any violation of law is found, fine. If not, they'll just look like the petty fools they are.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 10:28 PM   #142
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

funnily enough, DeSantis is handicapped by his election success - clearly, Florida goes Red in 2024 anyway, no need to have the Candidate come from there. Better pick someone from a Purple State.
Old 18th November 2022, 08:09 AM   #143
Donal
Philosopher

I'm still getting a lot of Scott Walker energy from DeSantis. The dude barely won his first election. He looked like a blathering idiot when he debated Crist. He tries to play off the fact that he shout whines at reporters as him being a tough guy. He's got the big billionaire donors like Ken Griffin behind him, but their money does hit a point of diminishing returns. Just ask Charles Koch with his Walker then Jeb investments.

If Trump is on the debate stage, he'll make Desnatis cry on live TV.
Old 18th November 2022, 10:00 AM   #144
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Seeing how Alex Jones after having vocally changed allegiance to DeSantis because of the Poison Shots, turned on a dime to support Trump again, even against the concerns of callers to his show...
I fear the GOP's flirt with a Freedom from Trump was short-lived.
Old 18th November 2022, 10:01 AM   #145
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I keep saying it, DeSantis didn't win Florida, the Democrats just lost it.

Now that's not a guarantee of future failure (I mean the Democrats losing is 99% of how Republicans win), but it's a thing.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 18th November 2022 at 10:13 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 10:41 AM   #146
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Just to pick a nit, because that's what we do around here, I'm a convicted felon and I've voted in the last about 6 elections. Maybe more. It varies depending on state, but I don't think I can run for office. At least not at the federal level.
I should have specified while serving a sentence. I'm aware that in at least most jurisdictions voting rights are restored at some point upon/after the sentence is served. (Although in a place or two there is the further imposition of having to first pay off any outstanding fines/court costs.)
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics