IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags politics , trump

View Poll Results: What will Trump's big 'announcement' be on Tuesday?
He is officially running for president 20 35.71%
An unofficial "Thinking of running" but not officially running for president 9 16.07%
Legal action of some time (such as against criminal investigations into his activities) 0 0%
Something business-related 0 0%
No announcement, just ranting 15 26.79%
Announcement gets cancelled 4 7.14%
Something else 3 5.36%
Trump is from planet X, and will now be returning home 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th November 2022, 07:05 PM   #241
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I know you'll be as surprised as I was. Just the first three of twenty:

Quote:
Quote:
Trump claimed Tuesday evening that the US left $85 billion worth of military equipment in Afghanistan upon its military withdrawal in 2021.

...the Defense Department has estimated that this equipment had been worth about $7.1 billion — a chunk of about $18.6 billion worth of equipment provided to Afghan forces between 2005 and 2021. And some of the equipment left behind was rendered inoperable before US forces withdrew.
Quote:
Trump claimed his administration “filled up” the Strategic Petroleum Reserve but it has now been “virtually drained” by the Biden administration.

Facts First: Both parts of Trump’s claim are false. He didn’t fill up the reserve, and the reserve is not “virtually drained.”
Quote:
Trump also boasted about his tariffs on China, claiming that “no president had ever sought or received $1 for our country from China until I came along.”

Facts First: As we have written repeatedly, it’s not true that no president before Trump had generated any revenue through tariffs on goods from China. In reality, the US has had tariffs on China for more than two centuries, and FactCheck.org reported in 2019 that the US generated an “average of $12.3 billion in custom duties a year from 2007 to 2016, according to the U.S. International Trade Commission DataWeb.”
Quote:
Trump claimed that unnamed people aren’t talking about the threat of nuclear weapons because they are obsessed with environmental issues, which he said, “they say may affect us in 300 years.” He added, “They say the ocean will rise 1/8 of an inch over the next 200 to 300 years. But don’t worry about nuclear weapons that can take out entire countries with one shot.”

Facts First: Trump’s claims are false – even if you ignore the absurd contention that people aren’t paying attention to nuclear threats because they’re focused on the environment. Sea levels are expected to rise much faster than Trump said. The US government’s National Ocean Service said on its website that “sea level along the U.S. coastline is projected to rise, on average, 10 - 12 inches (0.25 - 0.30 meters) in the next 30 years (2020 - 2050), which will be as much as the rise measured over the last 100 years (1920 - 2020).”

Last edited by Stacyhs; 17th November 2022 at 07:07 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 11:40 PM   #242
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I know you'll be as surprised as I was. Just the first three of twenty:
None of this matters to his base. You can call out his lies to his face, he can fumble and stutter is the face of a real interview. To his base he will be the hero victimised by the "evil libs"...he is Jesus on the via dolorosa.
Old 18th November 2022, 02:08 AM   #243
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

And none of this NOR his base matter to Trump.

Everything is all about him, all the time. So his justification for this and any other "moves" will be entirely along the lines of "What's in this for Donny?" So think of this from the Great Orange Anus's point of view. How does he benefit?
Old 18th November 2022, 02:40 PM   #244
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
None of this matters to his base. You can call out his lies to his face, he can fumble and stutter is the face of a real interview. To his base he will be the hero victimised by the "evil libs"...he is Jesus on the via dolorosa.
Of course it doesn't matter to his base. And yet I get called out for calling them idiots, morons, and stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 04:11 PM   #245
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
How long until Trump lashes out at Murdoch, since it's clear Murdoch has dumped him?
Not the first time that particular bromance has soured. Probably won't be the last.
Old 18th November 2022, 05:15 PM   #246
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
He's got more to say, tonight at 8:30... It'd be great if nobody covered it, I think everyone already has a pretty good guess what it's about.
Old 19th November 2022, 01:43 AM   #247
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
He's got more to say, tonight at 8:30... It'd be great if nobody covered it, I think everyone already has a pretty good guess what it's about.
Oh, yeah. Just the typical projection and self-pitying whining of a toddler:

We must conduct a top to bottom overhaul to clean out the festering rot and corruption of Washington, D.C., he said in his first speech as a candidate. Im a victim. I will tell you, Im a victim.
WAPO
Old 19th November 2022, 02:52 AM   #248
carlosy
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, yeah. Just the typical projection and self-pitying whining of a toddler:

We must conduct a top to bottom overhaul to clean out the festering rot and corruption of Washington, D.C., he said in his first speech as a candidate. Im a victim. I will tell you, Im a victim.
WAPO
Bah, victim is for losers.
I though he was a badass killing winner. Such a snowflake. A losing victim. Lame.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics