IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th November 2022, 04:09 PM   #81
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Mind you, when Trump says he is not going to do a thing, being such a massive and compulsive ******* liar, he will do that thing.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:19 PM   #82
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Nobody said differently. And now they are enforcing them in a way that seems to allow for greater freedom of speech. So what's not to like?
Tell that to all the parody accounts that got suspended. Musk, like all conservatives, doesn’t actually care about free speech. He only cares about amplifying his speech and speech he agrees with.

Quote:
If Twitter fails, it costs Musk. It isn't like it is coming out of your pocket, right?
I don’t recall claiming otherwise.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:22 PM   #83
johnny karate

I didn't say it was pure free speech, did I? Sometimes I marvel at how things are interpreted around here. Like, I make it clear that I understand Twitter can choose what they censor. Then I am basically saying that they seem to be embracing a model with less censorship. Which is more freedom of speech.

And the response?

"Nope it is still not free speech".

I just don't get how that response addresses anything I am saying.
There isn’t any more free speech on Twitter than there was before Musk took over. Plenty of people are still being “censored”.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:27 PM   #84
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
There isn’t any more free speech on Twitter than there was before Musk took over. Plenty of people are still being “censored”.

Not the way I see it, in some important ways.
Old 20th November 2022, 06:55 PM   #85
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Now Musk is baiting Trump to come back.

Possibly NSFW pic so I can't show you Musk's latest pic/tweet.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 07:16 PM   #86
grunion
Philosopher

You keep using this term “free speech”. I do not think it means what you think it means. [/InigoMontoya]
Old 20th November 2022, 07:20 PM   #87
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
You keep using this term “free speech”. I do not think it means what you think it means. [/InigoMontoya]
Twitter is precisely as free as Elon decides it is at any given moment in time. That's not freedom thats an illusion of freedom.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 08:41 PM   #88
johnny karate

That’s the cool thing about reality. It doesn’t need your acknowledgment. It remains reality whether you agree or not.
Old 20th November 2022, 08:52 PM   #89
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

These two post together are intriguing.

That bait seems to be catching more than just Trumps attention.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 10:27 PM   #90
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Twitter is precisely as free as Elon decides it is at any given moment in time. That's not freedom thats an illusion of freedom.
I think this is a difference that some people just never quite catch on to - the difference between a privilege and a right. If you get rid of a dictator you disagree with and install one you agree with, you'll be happier, but you won't really be freer.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 06:13 AM   #91
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I saw that. Super weird to compare the company you just bought and are now running as a whore enticing Trump to sin by participating in Twitter. I suspect symbolism is one of the many things in this world that Musk is completely ignorant of.
Old 21st November 2022, 09:21 AM   #92
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I saw that. Super weird to compare the company you just bought and are now running as a whore enticing Trump to sin by participating in Twitter. I suspect symbolism is one of the many things in this world that Musk is completely ignorant of.
It was a meme that another person posted as a reply to him. So Musk, of course, posted it without attribution, and his simps responded as only they can....
Old 21st November 2022, 09:23 AM   #93
lobosrul5
Illuminator

I've come to the conclusion that Twitter is both a toy and vanity project for Elon Musk. I doubt he cares if loses billions on it... what difference is it to your lifestyle if you're worth 1 billion or 100 billion? None.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 10:32 AM   #94
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I agree Trump won't return.

Trump: ‘I am staying on Truth’
As with all things Trump, by 5pm today Trump can/will be on twitter. He'll flat-out state that he never said he wouldn't return, and we'll have the "conservatives" on here telling us that 'of course Trump never said he wouldn't be back' with as straight a face as they can manage.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 10:44 AM   #95
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Mind you, when Trump says he is not going to do a thing, being such a massive and compulsive ******* liar, he will do that thing.
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
As with all things Trump, by 5pm today Trump can/will be on twitter. He'll flat-out state that he never said he wouldn't return, and we'll have the "conservatives" on here telling us that 'of course Trump never said he wouldn't be back' with as straight a face as they can manage.
Ayup.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 12:04 PM   #96
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
It was a joke! He was triggering the libs! He meant every word he said! Fake news! So dishonest!
Old 21st November 2022, 02:09 PM   #97
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that Twitter is both a toy and vanity project for Elon Musk. I doubt he cares if loses billions on it... what difference is it to your lifestyle if you're worth 1 billion or 100 billion? None.
Yeah, I think the bored billionaire explanation is possible, BUT things like this can have knock-on effects for his other roles and businesses. For me, I am surprised that he is so blasé about his reputation and the scrutiny he could end up with from the financial regulators, potential lawsuits and dissatisfaction among Tesla shareholders, etc…. Ultimately people may find him too unstable and distracted to be responsible at SpaceX.

Not saying all of those things would happen but taking over Twitter costs more than a mere 44 billion dollars.
Old 21st November 2022, 02:15 PM   #98
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yeah, I think the bored billionaire explanation is possible, BUT things like this can have knock-on effects for his other roles and businesses. For me, I am surprised that he is so blasé about his reputation and the scrutiny he could end up with from the financial regulators, potential lawsuits and dissatisfaction among Tesla shareholders, etc…. Ultimately people may find him too unstable and distracted to be responsible at SpaceX.

Not saying all of those things would happen but taking over Twitter costs more than a mere 44 billion dollars.
I believe he's in total control at SpaceX, if he has partners they're of the silent variety. The only thing that could effect change there is if the US government requires it to continue business with them.... but he has negotiating power since NASA still doesn't have the means to put a person into space.... first manned Artemis mission is planned for 2024 and I have no idea if it can dock with the ISS or not. He might indeed have to sell so many shares of Tesla to support Twitter that he'll eventually lose control.
Old 21st November 2022, 03:44 PM   #99
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'll go ahead and put a link in a spoiler. Don't click it if you are at all uncomfortable with stupidity.
Let's do two layers of spoilers. I warned you.
Old 21st November 2022, 04:05 PM   #100
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'll go ahead and put a link in a spoiler. Don't click it if you are at all uncomfortable with stupidity.
Let's do two layers of spoilers. I warned you.
Bad; weak. First of all, the woman looks nothing like Ivanka . . .
Old 22nd November 2022, 05:48 AM   #101
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningFolk if you want to talk about Musk's Twitter generally please take it to this thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=358552 and keep this one for anything specifically to do with Trump and Musk/Twitter. Thanks.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
Old 22nd November 2022, 06:06 AM   #102
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I Googled Trump Twitter and I see that his account has been reinstated, however I do not see any new tweets. The final (or most recent) tweet was from January 2021 saying that he would not be attending Biden's inauguration.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics